NXT TakeOver: New York Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Re: NXT TakeOver: New York Discussion 

Post#101 » by improper » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:01 pm

Stanford wrote:No, I don't think we all know that. NXT matches have beats that they always hit as well. There's more of a formula than you're letting on. Can you even consider an NXT title match official until there's a tope suicida? Why can't we have one NXT tag title match without some convoluted spot where three guys are mildly wailing on each other next to the fourth guy perched on the top rope?

The difference in NXT is respect for the audience, emotion and storytelling, not moves of doom. Moves of doom are fine.

Stuff like this is what makes NXT better. The way they treat it like a legitimate sporting event even though we know it's fake. They respect and embrace that suspension of disbelief that is required to enjoy fiction.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,859

Post#102 » by Stanford » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:08 pm

I also think atmosphere and production make a huge difference in NXT. The main roster production and atmosphere is just about as bad as it can be.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#103 » by improper » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:27 pm

Stanford wrote:I also think atmosphere and production make a huge difference in NXT. The main roster production and atmosphere is just about as bad as it can be.

Without a doubt. I love how they do the big fight lighting for NXT main events where the lights in the crowd all go out during the ring announcer's speech and there are just spotlights on the competitors in the ring. It adds so much for being such a minor detail.

NXT crowds are better too, but I think that's just because NXT usually meets or exceeds the crowd expectations, whereas WWE almost universally underperforms despite low expectations.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#104 » by spykelee » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:07 pm

Stanford wrote:I also think atmosphere and production make a huge difference in NXT. The main roster production and atmosphere is just about as bad as it can be.

I actually think it's the opposite. I work in television and often myself and my colleagues are in awe of really what a well oiled machine raw and smack down are from a production standpoint. They very rarely ever miss a beat or a cue. Whether it's the pyro, the fireworks, the commercial breaks, the close up's of facial expressions to use in a video montage later, replays, interviews, timing of segments. Everything is meticulous right down to the second. It's not easy. Infact, it's almost impossible to air a live sporting event and have it end exactly on the top or bottom of the hour, but wwe's flagship shows very seldom run heavier than they are intended. I get the run down of their show before it airs, and it's almost always on point. You don't become the longest running weekly episodic show in tv history by venturing off the beaten path.

Now if you meant its vanilla and all the same week to week, then your absolutely right, but that's by design. NXT has a freedom and an identidy all its own. And that's great! It's what sets them apart but it's also why sometimes, what's successful down there doesn't always translate to raw and smackdown.

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM mobile app
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,859

Post#105 » by Stanford » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:16 pm

spykelee wrote:I actually think it's the opposite. I work in television and often myself and my colleagues are in awe of really what a well oiled machine raw and smack down are from a production standpoint. They very rarely ever miss a beat or a cue. Whether it's the pyro, the fireworks, the commercial breaks, the close up's of facial expressions to use in a video montage later, replays, interviews, timing of segments. Everything is meticulous right down to the second.

I'm sure it's an incredible technical production, but it's a miserable viewing experience.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#106 » by iMoreland » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:17 pm

Sometimes simple is sexy. NXT has mastered simple.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#107 » by Spens1 » Sun Apr 7, 2019 3:41 am

Yeah NXT has shown less is more, also produce a good product and the fans will react accordingly, produce a horrible product and fans won't care.

Return to Pro Wrestling