WWE Payback Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

WWE Payback Discussion 

Post#1 » by iMoreland » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:12 am

The Fiend (c) vs Braun Strowman vs Roman Reigns — Universal Championship No Holds Barred Match

The Golden Role Models (c) vs Nia Jax & Shayna Baszler — Women's Tag Team Championship Match

Apollo Crews (c) vs Bobby Lashley — United States Championship Match

Big E vs Sheamus

Buddy Murphy & Seth Rollins vs Dominik Mysterio & Rey Mysterio

Keith Lee vs Randy Orton

King Corbin vs Matt Riddle
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: WWE Payback Discussion 

Post#2 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm

The No Holds Sold (see what I did there?) match should be fun, but the rest - plech. Nia Jax's presence kills the womens match. Crews/Lashley - seems almost sure to have interference from MVP. And Lee vs Orton has had no time to percolate.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#3 » by Scott Hall » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:26 pm

Why is there a PPV one week apart? way to much wrestling on these days market is completely over saturated.
I just finished RAW last night still got to watch NXT, AEW, Impact and Smackdown getting harder and harder to keep up.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#4 » by JohnPferdelack » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:15 am

Apparently they want to use this ppv largely as "rematch-ppv".
This company is so weird.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#5 » by The_Brecht » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:15 am

JohnPferdelack wrote:Apparently they want to use this ppv largely as "rematch-ppv".
This company is so weird.

There's not one actual rematch :D
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by JohnPferdelack » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:15 pm

No, i wanted to say they've initially planned this ppv as rematch-ppv. (at the time as wwe updated their ppv-schedule for the rest of the year)
Why do you schedule another ppv after one week?
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#7 » by iMoreland » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:29 pm

JBL back as an on screen character? Yes please
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#8 » by tugs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:12 am

Riott Squad back together? Not feeling it
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,294

Post#9 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:17 am

The Fiend’s entrance has too many flashing lights. Jeez, feel like it’s gonna give someone a seizure.
tugs
RealGM

Post#10 » by tugs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:52 am

Keith Lee!!!

Although that buildup for Randy...
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#11 » by Dominator83 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:53 am

Scott Hall wrote:Why is there a PPV one week apart? way to much wrestling on these days market is completely over saturated.
I just finished RAW last night still got to watch NXT, AEW, Impact and Smackdown getting harder and harder to keep up.

Eric Bischoff was way ahead of his time. He was against the idea of adding Thunder because he said it would over saturate the product. He was right.

They also made fans way too spoiled also. Back when we were growing up, it wasn't uncommon at all to have someone like Seth Rollins vs a jobber. That way you still feature him without wasting a match you can use down the line. They should've stuck with that formula
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#12 » by Stanford » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:10 pm

tugs wrote:Although that buildup for Randy...

I think it's fine. Randy was fairly dominant and the win came out of nowhere. As long as they continue to book Keith Lee strong (doubts, I have), I don't think this hurts Randy at all.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#13 » by Scott Hall » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:01 pm

Dominater wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:Why is there a PPV one week apart? way to much wrestling on these days market is completely over saturated.

Eric Bischoff was way ahead of his time. He was against the idea of adding Thunder because he said it would over saturate the product. He was right.

They also made fans way too spoiled also. Back when we were growing up, it wasn't uncommon at all to have someone like Seth Rollins vs a jobber. That way you still feature him without wasting a match you can use down the line. They should've stuck with that formula

I was arguing with this guy a couple of weeks ago who was complaining about the WWE Network adding more episodes
of 1993 Superstars as opposed to more modern Indy shows even though WWE Network adds classic content each month
and has no barring if they add modern stuff.

Anyways his whole argument was those jobber shows were pointless and then he ragged on the over the top gimmicks
of the early to mid 90's wrestlers.

I loved those shows as a kid and watching them back now they still are great. Those shows were fantastic because
they really established a guys character and his offense and what his signature and finishing moves are. They really
made each guy or tag-team on the roster look strong and feel significant. They also rotated guys week to week so
they weren't over exposed. Not only did they get a squash match but they also got a little promo to establish their
catchphrases and build heat with their current rival.

Another thing I liked that was underrated was they would go back to the "Event Center" with Sean Mooney or Mean Gene
or Gorilla Monsoon or Todd Pettengil and they would update you on what's going on around the company and they'd
build towards the next PPV with constant updates. It just felt really organized and made you hyped for the next PPV plus
they would have some more promos from guys and let you know when house shows were coming to your area.

By the time the next PPV or Saturday Nights Main Event came around you were hyped to see the main roster
wrestlers face off against each other because you hadn't seen them face off (unless it was a rematch) they were
all booked strong beating on Jobbers for a few months and there was usually a 2-3 month build with the story line
where now they hot shot stuff within a week.

PPVs were just so special because they were promoted so well and it was like a treat to see the big stars face off
against each other. Now it's like RAW and Smackdown are like mini PPV's. And outside of the Big 4 the intrigue is
to see the main roster guys do the Gimmick PPVs like Hell in a Cell, Extreme Rules, TLC, Money In the Bank etc.
But only a few guys and girls participate in those matches and the rest are typical TV show type matches.

Then you have generic pointless PPVs like "Payback" that are not much different then an episode of Raw or Smackdown
outside of both brands having matches and no commercials. But since they do a draft every year and have some
wrestlers be on both shows a lot that doesn't feel special at all either.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by JohnPferdelack » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:04 pm

tugs wrote:Riott Squad back together? Not feeling it

I think their reunion was several weeks ago (raw episode)
tugs
RealGM

Post#15 » by tugs » Tue Sep 1, 2020 2:00 am

Stanford wrote:
tugs wrote:Although that buildup for Randy...

I think it's fine. Randy was fairly dominant and the win came out of nowhere. As long as they continue to book Keith Lee strong (doubts, I have), I don't think this hurts Randy at all.
When you put it that way. Also feels like a Brock-Goldberg win, unexpected but not farfetched
tugs
RealGM

Post#16 » by tugs » Tue Sep 1, 2020 2:01 am

JohnPferdelack wrote:
tugs wrote:Riott Squad back together? Not feeling it

I think their reunion was several weeks ago (raw episode)
Not just feeling the entrance and gear for Liv since she already had success going solo
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by JohnPferdelack » Tue Sep 1, 2020 2:02 am

what happens to B. Kay?

Return to Pro Wrestling