ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,661

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#461 » by Pattycakes » Sun May 19, 2024 11:37 am

Gm. Ron holland. That is all.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#462 » by Skybox » Sun May 19, 2024 1:34 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:I think you guys are sleeping a bit on the PG's (Reed, Dilly) going top 6, most of those teams need a PG, even Houston needs to groom someone to replace FVV, forgot to add Topic who very possibly goes Top 6

Yeah, I agree with you...I think at least one of the PGs is going to get taken. My vote is either Topic or Sheppard to San Antonio. Wemby has the defensive skill set to clean up a lot of defensive issues that a smaller guard might have.

PS. It's so interesting to me how the PG role has changed in the past 30 years. It used to be that 6'3" was a tall PG--most were 6'0"-6'2". Players like Stoudamire, Terrell Brandon, and Mark Price probably wouldn't get drafted in today's NBA.

I considered one of the smaller guards or Topic to Houston or San Antonio, but my initial read is: (a) Houston has more pressing concerns than drafting a FVV clone/understudy, (b) San Antonio will take the best prospect regardless of position (I took a guess at Castle, but it could be Holland or Buzelis, too), and (c) Topic presently has injury uncertainty. Also, (d), I just don't think Sheppard or Dillingham will go as high as they've been mocked. Either one of them might end up being the steal people wished they hadn't passed on, but, going back to player archetypes, the small scoring guard is trending downwards. And, this draft being as barren of surefire contributors as it is, if you're gonna take on a project, shoot for the moon.

I see these mocks with POR drafting a 6’1 guard :crazy:

Just don’t do that. You’ve been down that road, POR
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,661

Post#463 » by Pattycakes » Sun May 19, 2024 11:09 pm

Ooh I can’t wait til we get two good scoops this draft and all the pessimistic people next year see us rocking a deep (and the youngest team in the league) looking like the next core up. I know there’s a few of us still bullish. Can’t wait for this draft. Edey will likely not last to 14 but even Holland and Salaun looks pretty amazing for what is universally a “weak” draft.

Grant, Brogdon, Thybulle all further deepen our future pick chest. Ant either is our greatest asset or young star, can’t lose there.

DA comes out day one looking like a top 5 center pretty easily and unsurprisingly. Scoot pushes 17/8 on 44% much improved consistency. Shaedon stronger and ready to handle an nba season..

People hype again. It’s like clockwork I swear. Eat crow for Cronin. Will bumper sticker that
Walton1one
Junior
And1: 147

Post#464 » by Walton1one » Mon May 20, 2024 6:31 pm

Goldbum wrote:Lol well I thought people would get miffed that teams see a blind spot... I don't know if I agree, but if it's Williams at 7 over Holland/Castle then we know... I REALLY hope my buddies are wrong and just smack talking a bit...but these guys know more about hoops than I ever will.

I hope it is not Williams, in fact worst case scenario (Risacher\Castle\Buzelis\Holland are gone) I would rather see POR reach for Salaun over Williams, at least he is more of a PF than a SF (bigger need for POR IM0) and he has been playing well in a professional league. I am becoming more convinced that Salaun will go in the top 10.

It is amazing to me that some people downgrade\over scrutinize the 3pt% of a high school player making the jump to the G-league (Buzelis\Holland), where they made the jump from the HS 3pt line (19'9) to the NBA 3pt line (23'9), as opposed to college players shooting from 22'175 (same as euroleague BTW). Just maybe that could play a part in lower 3pt percentages? That is not even mentioning the VASTLY superior competition they are facing on a nightly basis in the G-League.

What actually concerns me the most about Williams is that he is not nearly physically ready, I mean IF he reaches all the potential that people see in him, that may not even happen until he is ready for his 2nd contract? He needs a lot of work (strength\weight). Physically, he is surprisingly not as athletic as he would appear either (vertical testing was mid, lane agility\shuttle drills not great, did ok in 3/4 sprint), by themselves I don't put a lot of stock into any of these, but as a whole they kind of show he is pretty mid athletically as this class goes, which is a little surprising.
Walton1one
Junior

Post#465 » by Walton1one » Mon May 20, 2024 6:45 pm

Another thing to add about this draft, I was listening to a podcast and they were talking about how many teams were mentioning the possibility that a lot more contracts for 2nd round picks could end up as non-guaranteed deals than in previous years. Which, when I heard that, the first thing I thought was, ok so they could have more value this year, specifically higher 2nd round picks, of which POR has two. When you think about it, it makes sense, perceived weaker draft, pretty flat from #20 or so, 2nd round picks should be more valuable.

So...if POR really liked a player that was sitting there around the range of #20+, I could see them package both of those picks to move up and this draft may be conducive to do that.

Also, reading some tea leaves it sure sounds like Dillingham may slide a little in the draft, still likely top 10, but looking to be towards the tail end of that range. Will be interesting to see if that narrative changes.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,677

Post#466 » by zzaj » Mon May 20, 2024 9:08 pm

Walton1one wrote:Another thing to add about this draft, I was listening to a podcast and they were talking about how many teams were mentioning the possibility that a lot more contracts for 2nd round picks could end up as non-guaranteed deals than in previous years. Which, when I heard that, the first thing I thought was, ok so they could have more value this year, specifically higher 2nd round picks, of which POR has two. When you think about it, it makes sense, perceived weaker draft, pretty flat from #20 or so, 2nd round picks should be more valuable.

So...if POR really liked a player that was sitting there around the range of #20+, I could see them package both of those picks to move up and this draft may be conducive to do that.

Also, reading some tea leaves it sure sounds like Dillingham may slide a little in the draft, still likely top 10, but looking to be towards the tail end of that range. Will be interesting to see if that narrative changes.

I could certainly see that happening. The slide that is...

As for the draft, IMHO there are going to be A LOT of good role players taken in the second round. If the Blazers target somebody, then yeah, package and move up.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,957

Post#467 » by Norm2953 » Mon May 20, 2024 9:12 pm

Dillingham might be a smurf but if he ends up in the late lottery, he'll be a bargain for
just imagine if ended up with OKC?

Portland doesn't need 4 rookies but I could easily see them packaging both 34,40 to get
up to perhaps Phoenix (22). Phoenix as a second apron team needs more bodies to fill out
their bench while Portland could grab a player that won't last to 34, who they could use.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,817

Post#468 » by Case2012 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:20 am

I came around to scoot at the end of the season but Dillingham is going to be a star. It is what it is, he's an undersized PG that's probably more of a 2 and from what I've seen he actually plays defense somewhat. His ceiling is 30ppg and his floor is microwave 6th man IMO. As badly as I want a 6'8+ wing Dilly could be the next superstar PG in the league... But I like Scoot idk. Also, I really think I would take Edey at 7, and just roll the dice with the best wing available. Salaun, Williams, Buzelis, Knecht, one of them will fall. There's also Da silva and that serbian wing that's rising up the boards, Walter etc. We could also move into the first round with our 2 seconds and take another wing there as well, but you have to roll the dice on a 7'5 big with that much skill. We're tanking next year too, so why not? I'm sure we'll load up on future picks when we trade away grant, Simons etc.
Instagram: @casetwelve
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 3,767

Post#469 » by cdubbz » Tue May 21, 2024 3:33 pm

Whats the projection for Edey on the roster rookie season and forward in terms of minutes and stats? Ayton has to play at least 30mpg. Does Edey get the other 18minutes? There would be some games Edey will be ran off the floor and can't play due to speed and quickness and others where he can play more. Really hope he adds that 3point shot he showed in the combine to his game

The league hasn't seen a 7'4 + center have a consistent role on a roster since Yao.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#470 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:43 pm

cdubbz wrote:Whats the projection for Edey on the roster rookie season and forward in terms of minutes and stats? Ayton has to play at least 30mpg. Does Edey get the other 18minutes? There would be some games Edey will be ran off the floor and can't play due to speed and quickness and others where he can play more. Really hope he adds that 3point shot he showed in the combine to his game

The league hasn't seen a 7'4 + center have a consistent role on a roster since Yao.

Victor
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#471 » by Case2012 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:55 pm

Ayton needs to work on his 3, but he's already got a nice mid range and shoots decent from the ft line. I think he can play 4 with Edey at the 5 and this idea that Edey is some lumbering giant sloth was dispelled at the combine with his speed and agility tests beating Clingan who is projected top 5. The blazers were toying with the idea that they would play RW and Ayton together before he got injured, so I don't think it's that crazy. Scoot would FEAST on PNR, with Shaedon and another shooter at 3 for kick outs would be a nice offense. Then you'd have the twin towers in the paint with a 7'6 and 7'11 wingspan guarding the basket.

This is also based on the scenario that we trade all our vets for picks to tank the next 2 years.

You don't see Embiid, Jokic, Lopez etc ran off the floor, why would Edey? I know the game is faster, but that's a conditioning issue and Jokic played all but 1 minute in game 7.

Scoot
Shaedon
Williams at 14 or Salaun?
Ayton
Edey at 7
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#472 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:57 pm

If one reads the other team boards, the Wizards who pick second, keep saying they would trade
their 3 picks for Portland's 4 picks, for those picks at 14, 34, 40 are where is the value in this
draft.

Portland if they play their cards right, can come out of this draft with a rotation big to match up
in the long run with Victor, POA perimeter defender and hopefully a front court player with more
upside than Walker, Camara and Murray.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#473 » by cdubbz » Tue May 21, 2024 5:06 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:Whats the projection for Edey on the roster rookie season and forward in terms of minutes and stats? Ayton has to play at least 30mpg. Does Edey get the other 18minutes? There would be some games Edey will be ran off the floor and can't play due to speed and quickness and others where he can play more. Really hope he adds that 3point shot he showed in the combine to his game

Victor

Oh yeah I guess he counts. He’s the anomaly for sure.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Walton1one
Junior

Post#474 » by Walton1one » Tue May 21, 2024 5:33 pm

Norm2953 wrote:If one reads the other team boards, the Wizards who pick second, keep saying they would trade
their 3 picks for Portland's 4 picks, for those picks at 14, 34, 40 are where is the value in this
draft.

Portland if they play their cards right, can come out of this draft with a rotation big to match up
in the long run with Victor, POA perimeter defender and hopefully a front court player with more

I don't think WAS is trading away #2. In fact the more I read\watch, I think they are going to take Stephon Castle, he is just too tantalizing a prospect to pass up on (and he could offset Jordan Poole nicely).

The real intrigue is what is HOU going to do at #3 and will SA go guard at #4? I think SA wants Salaun at #7, but would they still if Risacher was there at #4? At #4 there is a chance they get their pick b\t Topic\Sheppard\Dillingham (or at least a choice b\t two of them) and then they get the young forward at #7.

Does HOU go Sheppard\Dillingham? Clingan? Risacher? If this scenario plays out, if POR has a clear #1 on the board, I could see dangling Brogdon to move from #7 to #3 and get their guy. Not sure if Risacher is that guy though....

I keep hearing\reading Clingan as a top 3 pick, but unless it is HOU, which could make sense to pair with Sengun, I just don't see it.

Lots of buzz b\t DET and Buzelis. CHA, who knows?
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,440

Post#475 » by Blazinaway » Wed May 22, 2024 3:31 pm

I wonder if Jarace Walker can be had from Indy, he's way down in the depth chart and Carlisle hardly played him, he'd get a lot of minutes here, wonder what Indy would want?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,441

Post#476 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed May 22, 2024 5:51 pm

Blazinaway wrote:I wonder if Jarace Walker can be had from Indy, he's way down in the depth chart and Carlisle hardly played him, he'd get a lot of minutes here, wonder what Indy would want?

I dont see much we could offer that they would take for Jarace. They have long term fits at PG (Hali), SG (Mathruian with a chance Sheppard oversteps him), PF (Pascal will be resigned) and C (Myles).

If Grant was younger and cheaper he could interest them at that SF slot but no way I take him at his current $$$ if I am Indiana.

Maybe if RWIII wasnt coming off an injury we could tempt them w/ RWIII + 14 for Walker but even if he was healthy I dont see them making that move. Jarace should have a role next year at the backup F spots as they are likely to lose Jalen Smith and Toppin.

Indiana has such a plethora of rotation worthy guys they likely dont make many moves this summer IMO. Sign a cheap big to replace Smith and Toppin and run it back is most likely.

Low key our old GM Pritch created a hell of a team out there in Indiana. If Mathruian takes a jump next season and they remain reasonably healthy there is no where but up for them. Buying pretty low on Pascal was a great move.
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#477 » by Case2012 » Wed May 22, 2024 6:43 pm

High Key Pritchard is 10x the GM Olshey/Cronin is. Why did he get fired again? Because of Oden? We would have had another ring if he was GM in the lillard era.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#478 » by Norm2953 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:29 am

Walton1one wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:If one reads the other team boards, the Wizards who pick second, keep saying they would trade
draft.

I don't think WAS is trading away #2. In fact the more I read\watch, I think they are going to take Stephon Castle, he is just too tantalizing a prospect to pass up on (and he could offset Jordan Poole nicely).

The real intrigue is what is HOU going to do at #3 and will SA go guard at #4? I think SA wants Salaun at #7, but would they still if Risacher was there at #4? At #4 there is a chance they get their pick b\t Topic\Sheppard\Dillingham (or at least a choice b\t two of them) and then they get the young forward at #7.

Does HOU go Sheppard\Dillingham? Clingan? Risacher? If this scenario plays out, if POR has a clear #1 on the board, I could see dangling Brogdon to move from #7 to #3 and get their guy. Not sure if Risacher is that guy though....

I keep hearing\reading Clingan as a top 3 pick, but unless it is HOU, which could make sense to pair with Sengun, I just don't see it.

Lots of buzz b\t DET and Buzelis. CHA, who knows?

There is talk on the Detroit board to draft Clingan but it appears he's going to Houston

Draft is shaping up prior to the beginning of the workouts

1) Sarr
2) Risacher
3) Clingan
4) Topic
5) Buzelis
6) Castle

It'd be interesting who Portland would take at 7 here. I would take Holland but one can easily see them
taking Salaun. It's far too early to take Ware, who athletically tests equal to Sarr.

Hopefully the two UK guards end up going before Portland picks and it does appear Detroit would be very
happy dropping to 7, if Portland wanted Buzelis.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 10,547

Post#479 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri May 24, 2024 9:22 am

Case2012 wrote:High Key Pritchard is 10x the GM Olshey/Cronin is. Why did he get fired again? Because of Oden? We would have had another ring if he was GM in the lillard era.

Because Tom Penn and him tried to shadily and unethically get Tom Penn a raise IIRC. He wasn't fired because of Oden.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#480 » by cdubbz » Fri May 24, 2024 2:56 pm

I may be getting on the Zach Edey hype train.

What changed my mind? Just watching more clips and the recent combine interviews and workouts. He's faster than I thought, I like his mentality and maturity, and his jumper is something to be excited about. I was really caught up on his speed.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers