ImageImage

Forget the "Market"; What is Nurkic's Value?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Rocketsbaby
Sixth Man
And1: 1,114

Re: Forget the "Market"; What is Nurkic's Value? 

Post#41 » by Rocketsbaby » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Nurk is clearly not a good offensive player, but he's progressed on that end to where he's not nearly the liability he was in Denver.

He's a very, very good defender. Anthony Davis is just the worst matchup for him. Honestly, I don't think he's done that bad of a job on him the first two games all things considered.

He's a bit of an injury risk, and he's definitely got attitude risk in that if you don't pay him what he feels he's worth he will likely sulk.... I feel like Portland has no choice but to pay him a 4/$76-$84m type deal.... He's still tradeable on that... and he's not terrible value at all at that price... and if you let him walk I think you've got a capped out squad with no great options to replace him. Collins is not ready to be a fulltime starter at his age, that's just asking for injury risk imo...

Collins is a pretty good alternate center to pair with Nurkic so you can play matchups too.

Nurk is going to request a heck of a lot more than that IMO, but I'd be awfully hesitant to go much further. 4/$90 is my absolute max and I'd probably only match that not offer it outright myself
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#42 » by Blazinaway » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:49 am

its cratering
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,450

Post#43 » by Myth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:44 am

Hopefully we get a bargain now.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,846

Post#44 » by Norm2953 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:01 am

His value would be higher with a legit pass first PG. Look at what the Pelicans are doing with Rondo.
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#45 » by Blazinaway » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:06 am

if we get a coach who know how to teach and use a big like Nurk then keep him, if not adios
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#46 » by No-Man » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:47 am

Man nobody has money and no one needs a Center plus this Draft is loaded with bigs, but you guys are saying that Nurkic might want more than 20m per? Hahahahahahahahaha, he would thank his lucky stars if he gets anything close to that and also in what world is he tradeable in that contract?!?! Have you followed the market at all?
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#47 » by Epicurus » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:29 am

Blazinaway wrote:if we get a coach who know how to teach and use a big like Nurk then keep him, if not adios
You don't think that Nurkic has been used well defensively? Even offensively, what is the proper use of a center who doesn't finish well and turns the ball over often?
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#48 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:51 am

Norm2953 wrote:His value would be higher with a legit pass first PG. Look at what the Pelicans are doing with Rondo.

Nurk is not nor will he ever be Anthony Davis. Full stop.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#49 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 am

I gotta say he has been disappointing. This series in particular. If you're a starting caliber big bucks center you can't be Noah Vonleh bad on offense and what makes that so bad is that he can't matchup against smaller guys like Davis and Mirotic on defense

If you can't abuse them on offense while being a mismatch for them on defense why are you playing?

His finishing has dipped back under too. Just a really sour punch after his close out on the season.

He is on a long career arc. We should have just traded him for DJ. Best fit for both teams.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#50 » by Village Idiot » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:26 am

His inability to play more than 30 minutes a game or finsih on offense are big minusses. His play this series have really killed his value. He is still young and has some remaining upside but I don't see him getting more than 14-15 million given how many comparable players are available. This team is a ways from being a contender. I'm guessing Collins will man the 5 once he gains some strength and mass.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#51 » by red_power » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:01 pm

Seems like Nurk is the biggest loser of this playoffs disaster. He was absolutely outclassed by Davis. This matchup was so bad it's even worth mention word "close" in any context.
I think it was as bad as Rolo's flop against Memphis.
This series should slise a lot of $$$ from Nurk's future contract.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#52 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:09 pm

why Portland fans act like theres player in this league that can stop Anthony Davis

Nurkic is the least of our problems, you cant guard Anthony Davis, we should look at Dame & CJ and what Jrue Holiday and Rajon Rondo have done to them on both ends of the floor, embarrassing, they should be ashamed of themselves...

Stotts should make adjustments (Stotts never heard of it obviously) to stop Holiday, Rondo, Mirotic, whoever, not Anthony Davis, he will get his numbers no matter what, but you need to stop other players

he needs to figure out how to get Nurk involved on the offensive side of the floor, its not enough to say: its Dame job to get him shots, whats that coaching, good grief... he lives and dies with our players shooting jumpers, especially Dame & CJ

for example, how can you let Chief take 10 3pt shots and go 2-10, he needs to keep his players ACCOUNTABLE!
Myth
General Manager

Post#53 » by Myth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:why Portland fans act like theres player in this league that can stop Anthony Davis

Nurkic is the least of our problems, you cant guard Anthony Davis, we should look at Dame & CJ and what Jrue Holiday and Rajon Rondo have done to them on both ends of the floor, embarrassing, they should be ashamed of themselves...

Well, you are right that we shouldn't expect him to stop Davis, but how he performs against elite players does still play a role in how much he should be paid.
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#54 » by Blazinaway » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:why Portland fans act like theres player in this league that can stop Anthony Davis

for the most part nobody is saying Nurk is the problem, its about what he should get paid given his season and playoffs performance, and considering league carspace available this summer as well as a lot of Cs available, 12-13 mil per is my number. And does his conditioning limit him to 26.4 minutes per game or is it something else? Cause if thats all he can play thats another $$$ consideration
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#55 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:26 pm

Myth wrote:

Well, you are right that we shouldn't expect him to stop Davis, but how he performs against elite players does still play a role in how much he should be paid.

sorry, but I think theres no more than two or three C in the league (including AD) than can outperform Nurkic like AD did, but AD is bad matchup for him or anyone for that matter, guy is unguardable

if he played against other C, wed be talking different story know, regular season showed it really...
Myth
General Manager

Post#56 » by Myth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
Myth wrote:

sorry, but I think theres no more than two or three C in the league (including AD) than can outperform Nurkic like AD did, but AD is bad matchup for him or anyone for that matter, guy is unguardable

if he played against other C, wed be talking different story know, regular season showed it really...

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but nothing you said changes anything I said. So let me ask you this, how much do you think Nurkic should get paid?
LillardPortland
Sophomore
And1: 77

Re: RE: Re: Forget the "Market"; What is Nurkic's Value? 

Post#57 » by LillardPortland » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Myth wrote:
Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
Myth wrote:Well, you are right that we shouldn't expect him to stop Davis, but how he performs against elite players does still play a role in how much he should be paid.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but nothing you said changes anything I said. So let me ask you this, how much do you think Nurkic should get paid?
Not more than 12-13 Million per year
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#58 » by red_power » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:12 pm

I don't think anybody expected to see Nurk matching up Davis' effectiveness but I think we had a fair shot expecting Jusuf to challange AD in some components. Or at least bully Davis in some ways.
Unfortunately those hopes failed dramatically to materialize. I can't blame Nurk for let's say not trying but it's something that makes the whole situation even worse. He tried to play hard and still couldn't do a thing here.
To me it definitely sound like an alarm bell ringing.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#59 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Village Idiot wrote:His inability to play more than 30 minutes a game

how do you figure he's unable to play 30 minutes a game? That sure seems like a coaching decision. Maybe it's a good decision, maybe it's not; but there have been quite a few times this season when the Blazers have failed miserably in stretches of games where Nurkic could have prevented that from happening. Portland's small ball lineups have looked really bad at time this season

we do know that Dame is the engine that gets Nurkic going on offense and for sure, Dame can't breathe in this series and it's had a big impact on what Nurkic has done

I've been a proponent of re-signing Nurkic to a contract somewhat comparable to his peers like Adams, Drummond, and Gobert. But watching this team over the last 16 games, I have to wonder at what level his contract would just be throwing good money after bad. Just re-signing Nurkic to a significant contract without some major changes to the roster simply adds expense without elevating the team's ceiling

on the other hand for all the talk abut how Nurkic is only worth 8.5-13M:

PER: CJ 17.0....Turner 9.9....Nurkic 19.2
TS%: CJ .536....Turner .520....Nurkic .528
FT Rate: CJ .166....Turner .185....Nurkic .287
winshares/48: CJ .108....Turner .061....Nurkic .108
box plus/minus: CJ +0.4....Turner -1.8....Nurkic +0.3
real plus/minus: CJ -0.21....Turner -3.49....Nurkic +1.91
real plus/minus wins: CJ 5.38....Turner -0.47....Nurkic 6.67
value over replacement: CJ 1.8....Turner 0.1....Nurkic 1.7 (adjusted for minutes)

future annual salary: CJ 27.6M....Turner 18.2M....Nurkic 12M (really?)
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#60 » by Pattycakes » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:53 pm

I would be extremely careful about what we commit ourselves to with Nurk for the sole reason that I could see that 5 year old attitude of his quickly become a headache if it goes south at all. I would go 3 years/60 and not a penny more.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers