How is there not a fire Stotts thread?
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Re: Fire Stotts thread 

Post#2 » by JasonStern » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:11 am

Stotts is average. His strength is one offensive scheme. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be able to adapt in the slightest way to his roster or opposing teams' abilities to make adjustments. This series is a perfect example of this as Gentry has completely humbled Stotts, and nobody views Gentry as an elite coach. While I don't see the Blazers firing Stotts this offseason, I have to admit that the odds of a replacement being beneficial are at least the same as being detrimental.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#3 » by PDXKnight » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:16 am

I don't know who to blame for this **** storm but I wouldn't be remotely shocked if heads are chopped off after these playoffs
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#4 » by Norm2953 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:19 am

Someone needs to get fired but I would point to NO before Stotts
DemonLizard
Junior
And1: 280

Post#5 » by DemonLizard » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:34 am

No idea who wants to take the blame, but a very pisspoor effort from portland this post-season..Stotts doesn't understand how to change up the offense whatsoever. In his defense somewhat, the pelicans also look like the Golden State Warriors all the sudden.
Nitro912
Freshman
And1: 64

Post#6 » by Nitro912 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:44 am

Can someone break down how Stotts and his crew has made adjustments to help us get easier shots? I have seen the same game plan going into each game with no real changes. Every game has been a struggle getting open shots.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#7 » by Epicurus » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:54 am

Nitro912 wrote:Can someone break down how Stotts and his crew has made adjustments to help us get easier shots? I have seen the same game plan going into each game with no real changes. Every game has been a struggle getting open shots.
Either the Portland newspaper or Blazer's Edge has offered a column on the adjustments. No, you are simply wrong. The Blazers in the first two games got more wide open shots than any other playoff team. When a team get swept, there is plenty of room to criticize a coach; but at least have a valid reason.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#8 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:58 am

I would start the firing at a level above Stotts
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#9 » by Wickzki » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:58 am

Stotts' strength is getting the absolute most out of his team in the regular season.

The sad thing is his teams are incapable of turning it up another notch which teams must do to be successful in the playoffs

Where teams like Houston and Golden State can coast to 55+ (GWS would have won 60+ save for injuries at the end of the season) Stotts had the Blazers playing their asses off for their 49.

That's a flaw at the coaching level but more so at the GM, scouting, and recruitment level.

Firing Stotts alone is insufficient. Multiple heads must absolutely roll. If the blame is placed on Stotts alone the organization is failing to address the total situation. Dare I suggest that it would be difficult to even replicate Stotts' modicum of success if that is all that is addressed.

Additionally, for someone who claimed that he was deserving of all-NBA First Team, Lillard has not fired a successful shot since.
Joshumitsu
Senior
And1: 56

Post#10 » by Joshumitsu » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:06 am

Stotts is fine. He has made some mistakes but there really isn't anyone better out there atm.

Otherwise, I seriously think you guys understate just how poor this roster is. Greg Popovich could coach this team and it would still lose to this Pelicans squad.

This team just needs better players. Period.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,242

Post#11 » by wco81 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:07 am

If you're going to blame this performance on the coach, you're saying the ceiling for this roster is a lot higher.

But the truth is, this Blazers have been a lower seed team since Aldridge left and have only gotten out of the first round once.

This season though, they won 49 games, most since Aldridge's last season there. To their credit, they stayed in the playoffs despite losing theirprevious franchise player.

Do they have a chance to improve the roster around their core? Perhaps, but just getting rid of the coach won't accomplish that.
DavidSterned
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,151

Post#12 » by DavidSterned » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:22 am

Stotts has been an embarrassment.

The fact that everyone else has been too hardly absolves Stotts of his ineptitude.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#13 » by Epicurus » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:25 am

I won't be surprised if Stotts wouldn't support his own firing. He may be tired of making lemonade out of mostly lemons. I'm reasonably sure that more than a few teams would like to have him, seeing what he was able to weave out of little fiber. Plus he still has two more seasons of pretty big dollars from Paul Allen. Why deal continuously with a strangely constructed squad when you are paid the same amount for not dealing with it?

Checking his coaching history after firing Stotts Atlanta had several seasons of not as good of records and Milwaukee had two such seasons. On the other hand, I think some would be happier with nonplayoff teams, in the dream of that rookie savior.
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#14 » by RTG HD » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:29 am

I think we need a "Just Relax" thread.
DemonLizard
Junior
And1: 280

Post#15 » by DemonLizard » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:43 am

RTG HD wrote:I think we need a "Just Relax" thread.

I already got the pitchfork and torch out, there's no going back now.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#16 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:50 am

DemonLizard wrote:
RTG HD wrote:I think we need a "Just Relax" thread.

I already got the pitchfork and torch out, there's no going back now.

lol....yeah...don't waste momentum....like the Blazers
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#17 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:17 am

Olshey, Stotts, and McGowan all need to go
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#18 » by monopoman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:19 am

wco81 wrote:If you're going to blame this performance on the coach, you're saying the ceiling for this roster is a lot higher.

But the truth is, this Blazers have been a lower seed team since Aldridge left and have only gotten out of the first round once.

This season though, they won 49 games, most since Aldridge's last season there. To their credit, they stayed in the playoffs despite losing theirprevious franchise player.

Do they have a chance to improve the roster around their core? Perhaps, but just getting rid of the coach won't accomplish that.

Yeah, I am not seeing this roster as being wayyy better than what we see here. Maybe another coach could get a bit more out of this team but really we need to change the roster to have a better chance.

Firing Stotts in my opinion doesn't do much, unless we can nab someone like Poppovich or Stevens then I really don't think we will see a positive change by firing Stotts.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#19 » by monopoman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:24 am

jeffhardyfan52 wrote:Olshey, Stotts, and McGowan all need to go

Why McGowan? Isn't his job to handle stuff outside of the team like promotions, partnerships, etc.. that are completely unrelated to who is a Blazer and how they are implemented.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Post#20 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:33 am

monopoman wrote:
jeffhardyfan52 wrote:Olshey, Stotts, and McGowan all need to go

Why McGowan? Isn't his job to handle stuff outside of the team like promotions, partnerships, etc.. that are completely unrelated to who is a Blazer and how they are implemented.

He doesn't like McGowan because, IIRC, he thinks McGowan is solely responsible for selling the naming rights of the arena.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers