Sergio to the Knicks.

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

jhern87
Starter
And1: 128

Re: Sergio to the Knicks. 

Post#21 » by jhern87 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:13 pm

JD45 wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:What are U talking about, deals CAN be made now thought it's unusual.

No deals can be made until Finals are over. They can be agreed to, but not consumated.

That's what I thought as well..
AZ BLAZER
Starter
And1: 0

Post#22 » by AZ BLAZER » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:14 pm

Oden2 wrote:
Billy wrote:My other guess is that it's for a first round pick NEXT year. Saves NY the caphold of a pick and gives Portland another asset to move this year in their quest to move up and/or acquire some vet talent.

Utah already has NY's unprotected 2010 pick. I'm not sure if the Knicks have any other first rounders, but it wouldn't be NY's pick coming back.

This is why if the number 8 is involved the deal will not be announced until after the draft. The Knicks MUST make the number 8 pick because they do not have next years first rounder. Once they make the pick they can trade the player. Remember that you can not trade first rounders in consecutive drafts. This is the Ted Stepian (sp) of Cavs futility fame rule.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#23 » by Billy » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:16 pm

Oden2 wrote:
Billy wrote:My other guess is that it's for a first round pick NEXT year. Saves NY the caphold of a pick and gives Portland another asset to move this year in their quest to move up and/or acquire some vet talent.

Utah already has NY's unprotected 2010 pick. I'm not sure if the Knicks have any other first rounders, but it wouldn't be NY's pick coming back.

Ahh thanks. Scratch that then. I'd assume Portland's getting a TE + maybe a second rounder and/or cash. That's about right for Sergio IMO.
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#24 » by method » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:21 pm

the deal will be our trade exemption from the balkman trade for sergio and a couple of your second round picks, considering you guys need to be far enough under the cap to attract an andre miller.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,660

Post#25 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:22 pm

Trades CAN be made during the finals. Showing my age I recall when Moses Malone was traded to the 76ers from Houston during the finals. It is discouraged though as the league wants all the focus on the games but there is no official rule barring the trades of non-playoff teams
Again showing my age it's spelled Stepien(only correcting because you indicated you were uncertain of the spelling)
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
jhern87
Starter

Post#26 » by jhern87 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:22 pm

method wrote:the deal will be our trade exemption from the balkman trade for sergio and a couple of your second round picks, considering you guys need to be far enough under the cap to attract an andre miller.

I think there's more to it..
Dakotah612
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Dakotah612 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:29 pm

If it were just for an exemption that wouldn't have to wait for draft night.

I also don't think KP would let Sergio go for that cheap. It's not his style.
"Damn the Blazers. Damn them to hell. They are working the rest of the league like a speedbag."
- Bill Simmons
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#28 » by Spykes » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:32 pm

Ya, once a team has either missed the playoffs or been knocked out of the playoffs, they're free to make a trade with any other team not still playing. It doesn't have to wait until after the Finals.

Sergio for NYK's trade exception makes sense. It's something I suggested awhile ago. Us adding in 2nd round picks doesn't make a ton of sense, but not the end of the world seeing as we own 4. It'll likely be one of the late 2nd rounders.

Honestly guys, I think you're setting yourselves up for disappointment if you think there's more to this deal. The Blazers are just trying to maximize their cap space for this summer. Thanks to Miles being back on the books, their going to have to make some sacrifices. Sergio hasn't been happy here and we need to make room for Bayless. On top of that, Sergio simply doesn't have much value around the league. With what the Blazers need this summer, dumping Sergio to free up extra cap space makes sense.

I hope the best for Sergio, I won't feel bad if he ends up making a career for himself in NY. I'll feel bad if he ends up becoming one of the premier PG's in the NBA under D'Antoni... But I kinda think the chances of that are fairly slim. :lol:

Now we need to sell off that 24 pick...
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#29 » by Billy » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:35 pm

method wrote:the deal will be our trade exemption from the balkman trade for sergio and a couple of your second round picks, considering you guys need to be far enough under the cap to attract an andre miller.

If 9 million under the cap isn't enough for Miller as-is, I don't think I'd want him.
jhern87
Starter

Post#30 » by jhern87 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:42 pm

Billy wrote:

If 9 million under the cap isn't enough for Miller as-is, I don't think I'd want him.

Seriously.. Or I'd offer it to Jason Kidd.. Either Kidd or Miller would be perfect to come in and man the point until Bayless is ready. I actually think McMillan has told KP to go after Kidd.. He likes him a lot.
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#31 » by method » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:44 pm

jhern87 wrote:

I really think it is as simple as that.
quackquack
Senior

Post#32 » by quackquack » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:48 pm

method wrote:
jhern87 wrote:

That doesn't seem like the type of deal that KP would agree to weeks ahead of time.
TradeMachine
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#33 » by TradeMachine » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:51 pm

How big is the Knicks' Trade Exception?

Sergio will only make $1.6 million next season, so if the TE is of similar value, I don't really see how it can make a big difference for the Blazers in luring a particular FA.
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#34 » by Dantares » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:54 pm

Take Eddy Curry! you can have the #8 pick and draft whoever the hell you want, we don't have time to wait on "potential" all-star plyaers like Jennings and Derozan, we need cap-space so we can get proven players. just throw in rodriguez and #24.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Spykes » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:55 pm

quackquack wrote:
method wrote:I really think it is as simple as that.

That doesn't seem like the type of deal that KP would agree to weeks ahead of time.

Why not? The Blazers clearly want to have as much cap space as possible this summer, Sergio hasn't been happy here for some time and NY has a TPE big enough to take him. Why not agree to it?

Method is right, it's just that simple. It's a financial move.

Although, I don't necessarily think Miller is the top target for Portland... I believe Hedo and Kidd are the main guys they'll call first. Miller is probably option #4, at best. If Hedo and Kidd are options 1 and 2, then I think Option #3 will be trying to make a lopsided trade with a team.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Spykes » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:59 pm

TradeMachine wrote:How big is the Knicks' Trade Exception?

Sergio will only make $1.6 million next season, so if the TE is of similar value, I don't really see how it can make a big difference for the Blazers in luring a particular FA.

Never underestimate the difference dumping small contracts can make. It was the difference maker last season when the Sixers went after Elton Brand. The whole reason they were able to get him was because they made a deal to send Rodney Carney to the TWolves for a trade exception. Sometimes that 1-2 mil can be the difference between getting the guy you want or having him go back to the team he was originally with.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,142

Post#37 » by cucad8 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 5:00 pm

While I agree it could be a move that KP would make, I agree with quackquack that it isn't the type of deal you make weeks ahead of time. NY isn't going to lsoe those TPE's any time soon. Now, he probably has already shopped Sergio around, adn gotten a good read for his value. And maybe that value is a TPE and a 2nd rounder next season. But there is no reason to agree to that trade now, when it could wait until free agency starts. That's a move you sit on, and finalize once you are certain you need that extra 1.5 million in cap space. Not one you make 3 weeks before the draft.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Spykes » Mon Jun 8, 2009 5:04 pm

cucad8 wrote:While I agree it could be a move that KP would make, I agree with quackquack that it isn't the type of deal you make weeks ahead of time. NY isn't going to lsoe those TPE's any time soon. Now, he probably has already shopped Sergio around, adn gotten a good read for his value. And maybe that value is a TPE and a 2nd rounder next season. But there is no reason to agree to that trade now, when it could wait until free agency starts. That's a move you sit on, and finalize once you are certain you need that extra 1.5 million in cap space. Not one you make 3 weeks before the draft.

I disagree completely.

Why would you wait until free agency starts? Thats needless procrastination. You want to have all your chips ready to go the day FA starts to show whoever you're targeting that you're serious about wanting them in Portland and have been planning for it. If you wait on a deal like that until FA has already started, then who knows what snags the deal could hit and you run a serious risk of losing out on the player you want.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#39 » by mojomarc » Mon Jun 8, 2009 5:04 pm

method wrote:
jhern87 wrote:

Let me get this straight--D'Antoni wants Sergio, and we pay you guys a couple picks to take him all so we can get $1.8m in cap space? To sign a FA where we have no idea if he's interested in us? I don't buy that it's that simple.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#40 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jun 8, 2009 5:04 pm

AZ BLAZER wrote:
Oden2 wrote:

This is why if the number 8 is involved the deal will not be announced until after the draft. The Knicks MUST make the number 8 pick because they do not have next years first rounder. Once they make the pick they can trade the player. Remember that you can not trade first rounders in consecutive drafts. This is the Ted Stepian (sp) of Cavs futility fame rule.

Hmm, that's certainly some food for thought. Who knows, its possible but that would have to mean more than just Sergio is leaving Portland.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers