Wheels after Work: Kop going back?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Re: Wheels after Work: Kop going back? 

Post#41 » by Billy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:37 pm

zzaj wrote:I personally don't think KP is going to just bring in a vet for that 15th spot. I think he wants the flexibility to be able to take back more players than he gives out in a trade.

Just my own personal conjecture... but if this is the case I'd think that Portland is setting themselves up to take on a big contract with that spot--which does make some sense. If Portland is going to forgo cap space less than a year before they're due they are most likely reasoning that the guy they are getting won't necessarily be an easy get on the open market and are hoping to get in on him early.

Raef is the most likely guy to go and if Portland is looking at dealing for a younger vet that may still be on a rookie contract they would have to take on a big deal to match salaries. Also it is quite probably Paul Allen wouldn't necessarily want to take on another 20-30 million in salary on a player that isn't going to be on the team. This open spot would enable that player to stay on the team and at least have a possibility of earning a pay check.

Just my opinion, but if what you stated is the case zzaj, it does make a lot of sense.
Red Robot
Assistant Coach
And1: 114

Post#42 » by Red Robot » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:21 pm

Walton'sBeard! wrote:I think some of you are putting waaaayy too much weight on a couple SL games. I would bet that management values a SL perfromance about the same as an intrasquad practice performance. The truth is that we the fans really don't know much about Batum or PetKo. I think KP has earned my trust on this decision.

This is my feeling too. Very few of us have seen Batum or Kopponen play in Europe. None of us, so far as I know, have seen them in practice. Even if the Blazers are making a mistake, they're making it with 100 times the information we have as fans. It's not useful to second-guess them from a position of ignorance.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,571

Post#43 » by zzaj » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:43 pm

Billy wrote:
zzaj wrote:I personally don't think KP is going to just bring in a vet for that 15th spot. I think he wants the flexibility to be able to take back more players than he gives out in a trade.

Just my own personal conjecture... but if this is the case I'd think that Portland is setting themselves up to take on a big contract with that spot--which does make some sense. If Portland is going to forgo cap space less than a year before they're due they are most likely reasoning that the guy they are getting won't necessarily be an easy get on the open market and are hoping to get in on him early.

Raef is the most likely guy to go and if Portland is looking at dealing for a younger vet that may still be on a rookie contract they would have to take on a big deal to match salaries. Also it is quite probably Paul Allen wouldn't necessarily want to take on another 20-30 million in salary on a player that isn't going to be on the team. This open spot would enable that player to stay on the team and at least have a possibility of earning a pay check.

Just my opinion, but if what you stated is the case zzaj, it does make a lot of sense.

Yeah, I don't know Billy! At this point I don't think anyone can accurately guess what KP's true plan is. Although if I were a GM, and I was interested in making some trades, having a full roster would limit my flexibility.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#44 » by Mr Odd » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:57 pm

I guess they want the open spot
incase a trade comes along and
they have to take on more players
coming in then going out.. .Hmm.. .
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,361

Post#45 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:24 am

I find it interesting that there seems to be a coalescing of 'next summer circumstances' in the last month or so.

First, KP lines up a 1st round pick and 4 seconds for a draft just preceding the supposed big cap-space summer. That really doesn't make a lot of sense, at least on the surface.

Then, he makes a concerted effort to have an open roster spot 'just in case' a trade opportunity arises.

At the same time we hear that Miles is determined to make it back into the league, and it seems that contrary to what we've been told, his salary would go back on the cap..and stay there:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=827526

all that would make it seem that there is at least a circumstantial indication the KP is planning something.

Obviously, KP is someone who likes to maximize options and hedge his bets. And even though Larry Coon is saying that if Miles plays, portland takes a big cap hit, I imagine it's possible that Tom Penn may have a different view considering that section of the CBA has never been tested before.

Still, I can see situations where KP offering lafrentz, a young player, a 1st round pick and a passel of 2nd's, as well as taking back a bad contract, as being mighty attractive to some teams. Attractive enough to send out a good player?...I think maybe yes. And if miles was back salary-wise, that might be the best route for portland too.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,571

Post#46 » by zzaj » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Not to get OT, but if Miles does play. I can certainly see a scenario where a litigation comes up between the Blazers and the NBA. And they might win. The Blazers had 4 doctors tell them that Miles' knee was unsuitable for play, thus they released him and the NBA released them from that money.

If Miles miraculously heals enough to play competitive basketball (and it would have to be a miracle if 4 doctors say that he won't) and the NBA forces Miles to get his money...in one sense that's like saying the Blazers needed to tie up millions of dollars waiting for a miracle to happen.

I hate guaranteed contracts.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,178

Post#47 » by Effigy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:25 pm

I feel like if Kop goes, he's never coming back. He'll be making so much money in Europe that 4 years from now he won't be interested in coming here to make $1 million per year for 3-4 years. You can take that paycut when you're young, and 24 obviously would still be young, but that would make him 28 when he is done with his rookie deal. I just don't see it happening. If we want him we need to give him the spot. I think this is because Nate wants a veteran. So Cut Sergio and get a vet. Hell, cut Raef and get a vet.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,361

Post#48 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:29 pm

Bonzi wrote:I feel like if Kop goes, he's never coming back. He'll be making so much money in Europe that 4 years from now he won't be interested in coming here to make $1 million per year for 3-4 years. You can take that paycut when you're young, and 24 obviously would still be young, but that would make him 28 when he is done with his rookie deal. I just don't see it happening. If we want him we need to give him the spot. I think this is because Nate wants a veteran. So Cut Sergio and get a vet. Hell, cut Raef and get a vet.

I believe the rule is (and was posted earlier in this thread) after 2 more seasons, Koponen will be able to escape the confines of a rookie scale contract. So in the 10/11 season Koponen could sign with the blazers for up to the MLE. So that shouldn't be an issue with him.

What the issue will be what type of terms he agrees to in his new euro-contract as far as duration to reasonable buyout.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers