JasonStern wrote:
Read on Twitter

His name is Scrubb?
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 4,009

Re: 2020 free agent targets and draft picks 

Post#562 » by JasonStern » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Case2012 wrote:Neil likes his own guys so maybe he'd be willing to part with CJ for Griffin?

There was a time, under SPAM and a more permissive CBA, where going after a Griffin or Love would have been a realistic option. This is not that time. And in both cases, Griffin or Love wouldn't be worth giving CJ up for.

Village Idiot wrote:You have the value way off. If anything the Pistons would have to pay a team to take him on

While I agree with this statement, the Pistons overpaid and his tenure has backfired so much that you're now in the "I know what I got" stage. You see this all the time on craigslist/facebook marketplace where someone over-leverages themselves buying some $50k luxury car. They put a ton of miles on it, the warranty is up, and they can't afford the repairs and upkeep. Rather than take the loss, they feel the need to save face for previous bad decisions. Thus they ask some absurd dealer-level price because while there are tens of thousands of these cars out there, this is one of only 230 in this color scheme in this year with the optional NAV system that was antiquated by cell phones before the car was even built - good luck finding another one of these! It could be a collector item someday and go up in value!

The better option honestly would be to bring back Aldridge. Blazers fans complained that he was soft, but that softness has benefitted his career longevity wise. And there's always a spot in Stotts' offense for a 7' guy that can stand 20 feet from the basket jacking up low percentage shots at a rate that infuriates Morey. But he's so overpaid that there's no combination of contracts that really makes sense. If you have to give up assets, then at that point you might as well gamble on DeRozan who actually fits the Dame/CJ/Nurk core age-wise.

DaVoiceMaster wrote:MLE - Jae Crowder, 4/$42.7 million with 4th year player option (it could happen)
Thoughts?

While I like Jae Crowder, I do fear that he is going to be overpaid. He's still a 9ppg/4rpg career wing that is coming off an outlier season with respect to 3 point shooting. I will admit that he'd be a huge boost defensively. But I can totally see him signing with another for the same "too high" contract Portland offers him and it being another Turkoglu situation.

d-train wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
Read on Twitter

His name is Scrubb?

Is Scrubb a guy who can't get no love from you?
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,088

Post#563 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:40 pm

JasonStern wrote:While I like Jae Crowder, I do fear that he is going to be overpaid. He's still a 9ppg/4rpg career wing that is coming off an outlier season with respect to 3 point shooting. I will admit that he'd be a huge boost defensively. But I can totally see him signing with another for the same "too high" contract Portland offers him and it being another Turkoglu situation.

I totally get that, then I look at players like Meyers Leonard, Mo Harkless and even Al-Farouq Aminu. They all got similar contracts, but I think Crowder would produce better than any of those three players. Portland has to swing for the fences. Its do or die time!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#564 » by Soulyss » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:33 am

I'll be honest, I like many of the options that should be available around the Blazers pick... So I hope they don't move it in a minor / incremental move.
GEE
Starter
And1: 334

Post#565 » by GEE » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:49 pm

Could we make use of our TPE in some way, to bring LMA back? I honestly don't know how a TPE scenario would play out in acquiring a player... The rules? Is it usually in a 2 players for 1 + TPE?

I do wonder if we could feature a PF/C combination of Nurkic/LMA/Collins, and is that a winning formula?

Would the Spurs be interested in, and could a trade similar to this be worked out?
Blazers trade: CJ(Locked in), Ariza(1 Yr), Mario(1 Yr), TPE, This years SRP, next years FRP
Spurs trade: LMA & Derozen

Dame / Simons
GTJ / Hood
Derozen / Melo / Little
LMA / Gabriel
Nurkic / Collins / (FRP)Jalen Smith
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,707

Post#566 » by JRoy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:15 pm

GEE wrote:Could we make use of our TPE in some way, to bring LMA back? I honestly don't know how a TPE scenario would play out in acquiring a player... The rules? Is it usually in a 2 players for 1 + TPE?

I do wonder if we could feature a PF/C combination of Nurkic/LMA/Collins, and is that a winning formula?

Would the Spurs be interested in, and could a trade similar to this be worked out?
Blazers trade: CJ(Locked in), Ariza(1 Yr), Mario(1 Yr), TPE, This years SRP, next years FRP

Dame / Simons
GTJ / Hood
Derozen / Melo / Little
LMA / Gabriel
Nurkic / Collins / (FRP)Jalen Smith

I think that’s the wrong direction.

LMA is really a center and neither guy does Much without the ball in his hands.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,067

Post#567 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:42 pm

I think that’s the wrong direction.

LMA is really a center and neither guy does Much without the ball in his hands.

I would do it, if only to create much more roster flexibility summer 2021. We would have very little money committed and GTJ has such a small cap hold we could sign him over the cap if we managed to lure someone here.

IDK why SAS would have interest in CJ, he probably should be re-routed to another team. Maybe NYK?

PDX TRADES - CJ McCollum, Trevor Ariza, Rodney Hood, Zach Collins, Anfernee Simons, #16
PDX RECEIVES - Demar DeRozan, LaMarcus Aldridge, #8, #27

SAS TRADES - Demar DeRozan, LaMarcus Aldridge
SAS RECEIVES - Trevor Ariza, Rodney Hood, Zach Collins, TPE

NYK TRADES - #8, #27, TPE
NYK RECEIVES - CJ McCollum, #16

G - Damian Lillard / Shabazz Napier / Malachi Flynn (46)
G - Gary Trent Jr / Devin Vassell (8)
F - Demar DeRozan / Devin Vassell (8) / Nassir Little
F - LaMarcus Aldridge / Carmelo Anthony / Weynen Gabriel
C - Juruf Nurkic / LaMarcus Aldridge / Zeke Nnaji (27)

w/ only Lillard (43.7M), Nurkic (12M), Vassell (5M), Little (2.3M), Nnaji (2.1M) , GTJ (2.1M Cap Hold) and Flynn (1.4M) on the books summer 2021. Project the salary cap at around 121M and we would be sitting pretty with 52.4M cap space less 2021 FRP and 4 cap holds.
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 245

Post#568 » by TBpup » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:17 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
w/ only Lillard (43.7M), Nurkic (12M), Vassell (5M), Little (2.3M), Nnaji (2.1M) , GTJ (2.1M Cap Hold) and Flynn (1.4M) on the books summer 2021. Project the salary cap at around 121M and we would be sitting pretty with 52.4M cap space less 2021 FRP and 4 cap holds.

That sounds great....but remember the last time Olshey had a bunch of money to spend? :banghead:
@TBpup22
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#569 » by Soulyss » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:40 pm

TBpup wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

That sounds great....but remember the last time Olshey had a bunch of money to spend? :banghead:

NeO is better a trading talent for Talent, and making picks. When you give him the checkbook, bad things happen. This would be the opposite of the plan I would want.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#570 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:47 pm

NeO is better a trading talent for Talent, and making picks. When you give him the checkbook, bad things happen. This would be the opposite of the plan I would want.

If we are avoiding cap space because our GM is assumed to use it poorly, he shouldnt be our GM.

Its not just cap space, its flexibility. We could make a move for a locked up, disgruntled star into our cap space.

Getting out of CJ's contract in a way that arguable improves the team for a year and still opens us to flirting with the stars available in 2021 is a much better route than sticking with this maxed out, locked up roster. Taking a risky avenue to improvement is a much better move than hoping the current ingredients suddenly make a different meal. We are not keeping up with the West. We need to make risky, franchise altering moves.
GEE
Starter

Post#571 » by GEE » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:42 pm

I think that all players involved in my trade scenario might be agreeable to such a trade, which I think is of huge importance. In short, LMA and Derozen get to go for a ring and CJ gets to be "The Man", while playing for a first class coach and organization.

- CJ going to the Spurs would make him the face of that franchise, which IMO is great for the Spurs, and great for CJ. Sending CJ to the Knicks would not be a kind gesture to CJ. That tweak of my idea just looks like you're trying to squeeze just a little more out of my trade.

- Spurs also need to try something, to stay competitive in the loaded West. CJ and Murray could be a scary duo, and with money to now spend in a strange free-agency period where you can potentially get a lot for a little, Spurs could look totally different, and potentially be better next season.

- Blazers, if this scenario is even doable, could go all in, if they believe the trio of Nurkic/LMA/Collins at PF and C is a winning combination. It could be IMO, considering all three players with: a now slimmer, fitter and slightly bouncier version of Nurkic, A Lamarcas that would surely be in great physical shape if chasing that ring, and one more year of physical growth for Collins would allow all three to play either PF or C.

- You would also need to be convinced that GTJ can start. I personally do, as I think he isn't the pure scorer that CJ is, but does many other things much better than CJ, like defense. Still a very capable scorer whose game is only going to get better.

- You would also need to believe that Derozen is the answer at SF, at least in the short term. Even if he isn't, you get out of CJ's deal and have flexibility when LMA and Derozen expire. Also fits with the potential need for a Nukic pay raise.

- I would still be in favor of adding Favors. Drafting Jalen Smith. Resigning Melo and Gabriel and trying to get Michael Carter-Williams in free agency. All doable IMO, and worth doing.

This is what I'm (fairly realistically) dreaming of for next year, realizing that most big name FAs still don't want to come to Portland because of the already well discussed reasons. Sorry, no Rondo for us.

Dame / Simons / MCW
GTJ / Little
Derozen / Melo / Hood(IR)
LMA / Gabriel / Favors
Nukic / Collins / Jalen Smith
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#572 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:34 pm

Spurs also need to try something, to stay competitive in the loaded West.

Why? Its not like a legal obligation to make trades that keep you in the 7-8th seed in the West. They are in a perfect situation to rebuild as both LMA and DDR expire in 2021. They could leverage their culture and try to sign some top tier FA's next summer, or simply bottom out and get some high picks for the firs time in 20+ years.

CJ and Murray is scary in a 1st round, gentleman's sweep kind of way. Good enough to make the playoffs and get booted early, not bad enough to ever get a difference making draft pick.

LMA / Gabriel / Favors

Do you view Favors as a Vet Min guy? His WS/48 is higher than anyone on our team except Dame. He is a really good palayer still and probably gets MLE offers from playoff teams IMO. He would be closer to pushing LMA for the starting spot than being 3rd behind Gabriel.

I like this idea. I dont think SAS would, or should, do it. But I think I like it for a different reason than you. I like that it gives us 2021 flexibility while remaining a pretender to keep Dame happy. I dont think in any way this move would make us capable of beating LAL, LAC, DEN or potentially DAL / UTA. Then again, I dont believe that with the current roster either so I would take this risk, enjoy a radically different team for a year and hope we can do something wild in 2021.
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#573 » by Soulyss » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:37 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

If we are avoiding cap space because our GM is assumed to use it poorly, he shouldnt be our GM.

Its not just cap space, its flexibility. We could make a move for a locked up, disgruntled star into our cap space.

Getting out of CJ's contract in a way that arguable improves the team for a year and still opens us to flirting with the stars available in 2021 is a much better route than sticking with this maxed out, locked up roster. Taking a risky avenue to improvement is a much better move than hoping the current ingredients suddenly make a different meal. We are not keeping up with the West. We need to make risky, franchise altering moves.

NO ONE WILL COME TO PORTLAND IN FREE AGENCY! Not at least anyone who matters.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,707

Post#574 » by JRoy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:31 am

GEE wrote:I think that all players involved in my trade scenario might be agreeable to such a trade, which I think is of huge importance. In short, LMA and Derozen get to go for a ring and CJ gets to be "The Man", while playing for a first class coach and organization.

- CJ going to the Spurs would make him the face of that franchise, which IMO is great for the Spurs, and great for CJ. Sending CJ to the Knicks would not be a kind gesture to CJ. That tweak of my idea just looks like you're trying to squeeze just a little more out of my trade.

- Spurs also need to try something, to stay competitive in the loaded West. CJ and Murray could be a scary duo, and with money to now spend in a strange free-agency period where you can potentially get a lot for a little, Spurs could look totally different, and potentially be better next season.

- Blazers, if this scenario is even doable, could go all in, if they believe the trio of Nurkic/LMA/Collins at PF and C is a winning combination. It could be IMO, considering all three players with: a now slimmer, fitter and slightly bouncier version of Nurkic, A Lamarcas that would surely be in great physical shape if chasing that ring, and one more year of physical growth for Collins would allow all three to play either PF or C.

- You would also need to be convinced that GTJ can start. I personally do, as I think he isn't the pure scorer that CJ is, but does many other things much better than CJ, like defense. Still a very capable scorer whose game is only going to get better.

- You would also need to believe that Derozen is the answer at SF, at least in the short term. Even if he isn't, you get out of CJ's deal and have flexibility when LMA and Derozen expire. Also fits with the potential need for a Nukic pay raise.

- I would still be in favor of adding Favors. Drafting Jalen Smith. Resigning Melo and Gabriel and trying to get Michael Carter-Williams in free agency. All doable IMO, and worth doing.

This is what I'm (fairly realistically) dreaming of for next year, realizing that most big name FAs still don't want to come to Portland because of the already well discussed reasons. Sorry, no Rondo for us.

Dame / Simons / MCW
GTJ / Little
Derozen / Melo / Hood(IR)
LMA / Gabriel / Favors

Little at sg?
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#575 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:31 pm

NO ONE WILL COME TO PORTLAND IN FREE AGENCY! Not at least anyone who matters.

Thats fine, but we could absorb a locked up player or simply resign DDR + LMA to much smaller money extensions.
GEE
Starter

Post#576 » by GEE » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:31 am

@ JRoy....

Yes! That is exactly where he could and should help us immediately. He's ferocious, quick enough to stay with most 2s, and big and strong enough to cover 3s.

I wouldn't want him out there so much for his shooting, which he's not terrible at, but more for his potential as a solid perimeter and/or lock down defender.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#577 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:43 pm

@ JRoy....

Yes! That is exactly where he could and should help us immediately. He's ferocious, quick enough to stay with most 2s, and big and strong enough to cover 3s.

I wouldn't want him out there so much for his shooting, which he's not terrible at, but more for his potential as a solid perimeter and/or lock down defender.

He would be the worst shooting and ball handling SG in the league if we played him there. If we are struggling with teams trapping Dame as it is, moving Little to SG would leave us with some of the worst ball handling in the league within our starting linuep, and I would argue we are already in the bottom 25 percentile of teams for ballhandling as it is.

Maybe he could play spot minutes, but relying on him as the sole backup SG would be nuts.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,194

Post#578 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:01 pm

Hood will be back to start the season and would play the 2 with Little at 3. Additionally in that scenario Simons, MCW and DeRozen would also help fill minutes there.

That front-court is way too crowded however. LMA/Nurkic/Collins is a full rotation, maybe with Smith and a vet min guy like Gabriel to round it out. I really like Favors but he is not a 3rd string player.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#579 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:47 pm

Hood will be back to start the season and would play the 2 with Little at 3. Additionally in that scenario Simons, MCW and DeRozen would also help fill minutes there.

That front-court is way too crowded however. LMA/Nurkic/Collins is a full rotation, maybe with Smith and a vet min guy like Gabriel to round it out. I really like Favors but he is not a 3rd string player.

In this scenario I would try to move ZC and 16 to get a better draft pick. You want to use LMA as the backup C as much as possible IMO, but ZC also is in that same boat. This trade puts Collins as a PF 100% of the time (Assuming Nurkic and LMA stay healthy) and that just might not be tenable IMO.

ZC + 16 for 10 and taking Vassell would greatly round out the squad.

G - Damian Lillard / Vet Min / Anfernee Simons
G - Gary Trent Jr / Devin Vassell / Anfernee Simons
F - DeMar DeRozan / Rodney Hood / Nassir Little
F - LaMarcus Aldridge / Carmelo Anthony / Weynen Gabriel
C - Jusuf Nurkic / LaMarcus Aldridge / Vet Min
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 4,009

Post#580 » by JasonStern » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:27 pm

Soulyss wrote:I'll be honest, I like many of the options that should be available around the Blazers pick... So I hope they don't move it in a minor / incremental move.

With no NCAA tournament and little to no Euroleague basketball, this is probably the year where the most talented players slip in the draft. Questions are whether you trust Olshey and Co. to find that player, whether your goal is to win-now with Dame in his prime or win-later, what are other teams up to and what options are on the table regarding a trade, etc.

GEE wrote:Would the Spurs be interested in, and could a trade similar to this be worked out?

If the Spurs are moving Aldridge and DeRozan, then they are rebuilding and have zero interest in CJ.

Aldridge is too old and makes too much money for the Blazers to justify trading for him. I'd be fine trading for DeRozan, as he fits with the Lillard/McCollum/Nurkić core age-wise, but he is far from an ideal fit. So you'd be gambling that Stotts could make it work and that the players would gel. Team isn't going to win anything without taking some risks.

Aldridge back to Portland for a mini-MLE once his contract expires is certainly something that might be realistic, but it wouldn't help us now.

BlazersBroncos wrote:Do you view Favors as a Vet Min guy? His WS/48 is higher than anyone on our team except Dame. He is a really good palayer still and probably gets MLE offers from playoff teams IMO.

Definitely not a minimum guy, but I'd be fine bringing in Favors over retaining Whiteside. Depends on how the free agency cards play out.

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Hood will be back to start the season and would play the 2 with Little at 3.

Hood is recovering from a torn ACL. I wouldn't expect him to return to peak form next season, and view any production the Blazers get from him as a bonus.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers