ImageImage

Blazers / Cavs talking deal?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Re: Blazers / Cavs talking deal? 

Post#41 » by Wickzki » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:31 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I don't get why people think Kidd-Gilchrist would be a good fit with us.

We have other needs such as a play creator, perimeter scorer, and defensive anchor, at least one of which needs to be all-star quality.

He's not necessarily the best fit for us. However, he's the classic case of Best Player Available.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#42 » by deanwoof » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:38 am

if we get MKG or Barnes, we also get more bargaining power with Batum. then say next year or the year after, you move one of them.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,841

Post#43 » by Norm2953 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:51 am

I think with MKG, we get toughness both mentally and physical for Portland has
been soft for too long. Like it or not, we've been a soft, finesse team
ever since Roy and Dre left and we need to get back some toughness if we
expect to win in the playoffs.

I go up to 4 to get him if the price was right. The goal is to add a tier 2 player at
a reasonable price.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#44 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:59 am

Norm2953 wrote:I think with MKG, we get toughness both mentally and physical for Portland has
been soft for too long. Like it or not, we've been a soft, finesse team
ever since Roy and Dre left and we need to get back some toughness if we
expect to win in the playoffs.

I go up to 4 to get him if the price was right. The goal is to add a tier 2 player at
a reasonable price.

+ 1. MKG can do just about everything and I think its absolutely fair to call him the BPA at 4 or higher depending on how much you like him. This could be an ok move for the Blazers if we're sure this is the only way we get a tier 2 player. If we're moving up for Drummond consider me upset.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,820

Post#45 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:08 am

Gerald did help us last year, but this year his athleticism had clearly declined and I think he lost a bit without Andre there as well.

I'd definitely be down for MKG at 4. His shot is wonky right now, yes, and his handles definitely need to improve, but with his work ethic and motor that is going to happen. Let's say we somehow end up getting MKG at 4 and Lillard at 11, and we sign someone like Nash to a two year contract - enough time to mentor Lillard and also help everyone else on our roster.

Nash/Lillard
Nicolas/Wesley/Williams
MKG/Williams/Babbitt (or Claver)
Aldridge/Hickson
RandomCenterWeSignThatHopefullyIsntOver35/Thomas/Przybilla

That isn't so bad. Maybe. Hopefully. Listen, I got up at 3 am I am just trying to be optimistic.
RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Post#46 » by RoyalWun » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:35 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:Gerald did help us last year, but this year his athleticism had clearly declined and I think he lost a bit without Andre there as well.

I'd definitely be down for MKG at 4. His shot is wonky right now, yes, and his handles definitely need to improve, but with his work ethic and motor that is going to happen. Let's say we somehow end up getting MKG at 4 and Lillard at 11, and we sign someone like Nash to a two year contract - enough time to mentor Lillard and also help everyone else on our roster.

Nash/Lillard
Nicolas/Wesley/Williams
Aldridge/Hickson

That isn't so bad. Maybe. Hopefully. Listen, I got up at 3 am I am just trying to be optimistic.

But wouldn't we be trading 11 as well?

It would be 4/24 for 6/11.

We could probably snag Teague with that pick but def aren't getting Lillard with 24.
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,082

Post#47 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:26 pm

I don't get why so many people are writing Batum off. This draft Barnes and move Batum just isn't working for me. It's not a given that any player in the draft will become an outstanding NBA player or they're only one dimensional, etc. Batum plays offense and defense. Sure, we'd all like him to do a little more offensively (more consistently) and be more of a leader, but I think Batum offers more than these other guys we're talking about drafting in order to free ourselves of Batum. I see whoever we draft coming off the bench, not replacing a starting Batum or Matthews. If I gotta move one of them, I probably look to move Matthews before moving Batum.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,820

Post#48 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:34 pm

RoyalWun wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:Gerald did help us last year, but this year his athleticism had clearly declined and I think he lost a bit without Andre there as well.

Nash/Lillard
Nicolas/Wesley/Williams
Aldridge/Hickson

But wouldn't we be trading 11 as well?

It would be 4/24 for 6/11.

We could probably snag Teague with that pick but def aren't getting Lillard with 24.

The beat writer seemed to say that Portland wouldn't do the 6/11 for 4/24, but Cleveland wouldn't do 4 for 6+Claver - but I think there can be some middle ground there. It'd also probably have to be a contingent deal based on who was left at 6. Maybe something like 4 for 6, Claver, Williams (MY BABY NOOOO), and both second round picks or just one.

Listen, I'm just throwing stuff against the wall. I'm like a child with a bucket of paint. No good can come from it.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#49 » by Village Idiot » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Wickzki wrote:6, 11 and Wes Matthews for 4, 24 and Anderson Varejao.

Varejao - Aldridge - Batum - MKG - ???

Not suggesting I'd do it but it works via ESPN trade machine.

That seems like a solid deal for both teams.

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I don't get why people think Kidd-Gilchrist would be a good fit with us.

Sure he has nice intangibles, but his skillset isn't something we are in dire need of. We had Gerald Wallace - who is supposed to be a comparison and it didn't bring a new dimension to our team or take us to another level. We have other needs such as a play creator, perimeter scorer, and defensive anchor, at least one of which needs to be all-star quality.

Gerald Wallace with a leadership qualities and a stronger will to win and improve is a mulitiple all-star.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#50 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:22 pm

deanwoof wrote:if we get MKG or Barnes, we also get more bargaining power with Batum. then say next year or the year after, you move one of them.

I don't get the connection

Portland does not have to worry so much about bargaining power. They have to worry about what Batum can get on the open market. Whether Portland has drafted Barnes or MKG is not going to impact the size of the offer Batum gets from Toronto or Sacramento

I suppose you could make a vague case that if Portland had drafted a SF, another team might think that they could drop their intended offer a little, assuming Portland would not be so desperate to match. Not sure that's really a valid equation though

I still have an expectation (hope) that Batum will not get nearly as high an offer as people around here have been expecting. I think a better chance he will get less then 8 million to start then over 9 million. Maybe some team will break the bank for Batum but it sure seems that some of the main potential suitors have other fish to fry
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#51 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
Wickzki wrote:6, 11 and Wes Matthews for 4, 24 and Anderson Varejao.

Varejao - Aldridge - Batum - MKG - ???

Not suggesting I'd do it but it works via ESPN trade machine.

That seems like a solid deal for both teams.

hmmm...I think it's a poor deal for Portland

I'd rather have Matthews, who never misses a game, then Varejao, who simply can not stay healthy. Talk to Cleveland fans, there is apparently some significant concern in Cleveland that Varejao will be hampered by injuries from here on...actually, from 2010 on

so my take is that Portland gets the worst of the player swap, and they lose 2 million of their cap-space in the bargain

and there is simply no question that there is a huge gulf in value between the 11th pick and the 24th pick

So, what remains is if the difference between the 4th and 6th pick can make up for the loss in value between the 11th & 24th picks, the exchange of Matthews for Varejao, and less cap-space

Assume the first 3 picks go as expected: Davis, Robinson, Beal. That would leave MKG, Barnes, & Drummond as the 3 remaining 2nd tier prospects. Portland would be guaranteed 1 of them at 6. I simply have a hard time believing that having the choice of the 3 is worth the loss of value in the rest of the trade, especially considering that all 3 players have flaws

If Robinson slipped to 4 I'd be more inclined to consider it, but for godsakes, get rid of the Matthews for Varejao switch. Do not want another injury prone big man in his 30's

Sure he has nice intangibles, but his skillset isn't something we are in dire need of. We had Gerald Wallace - who is supposed to be a comparison and it didn't bring a new dimension to our team or take us to another level. We have other needs such as a play creator, perimeter scorer, and defensive anchor, at least one of which needs to be all-star quality.

Gerald Wallace with a leadership qualities and a stronger will to win and improve is a mulitiple all-star.

he's not Gerald Wallace from what I can see. For one thing, his shot is broken. For another, I think you're overselling his leadership qualities and will to win. From our perspective I don't know how you'd judge that MKG is superior to Wallace in those areas.

don't get me wrong, If MKG is the one available at 6 then Portland should probably take him and hope for the best

but I sure don't see a compelling reason why the Blazers should sacrifice other assets in a move up to take him
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#52 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:45 pm

No more offensively challenged players. Need 3 shooters at all times to pair with LA and a center who can average 10ppg on /30min.
Most importantly, a good coach who is able to produce wide open shots consistently with his system.

MKG does not fit with this team.
blazers73
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#53 » by blazers73 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:55 pm

I love MKG but hate him for Portland bc he cant shoot right now.

You already have a 2 guard that cant shoot consistently adding MKG would kill Aldridge

Agreed in that MKG can't shoot now and next year wouldn't be pretty. But IMO shooting is the easiest skill to improve if you work at it. So many college players can't shoot and end up shooting well in the NBA. Long term MKG is the best player that will be available to us.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,955

Post#54 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Apparently the Cavs are really scared the hitch in MKG's shot and question if it can ever be fixed.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Clarity
Banned User
And1: 843

Post#55 » by Clarity » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:58 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I don't get why so many people are writing Batum off. This draft Barnes and move Batum just isn't working for me. It's not a given that any player in the draft will become an outstanding NBA player or they're only one dimensional, etc. Batum plays offense and defense. Sure, we'd all like him to do a little more offensively (more consistently) and be more of a leader, but I think Batum offers more than these other guys we're talking about drafting in order to free ourselves of Batum. I see whoever we draft coming off the bench, not replacing a starting Batum or Matthews. If I gotta move one of them, I probably look to move Matthews before moving Batum.

I can only speak for myself but where I came from on my Barnes/Batum comments are that we basically know both players now. Barnes is the most NBA ready player in this draft. I dont think its a mystery what he is.

Batum is an inconsistent offensive player but a well above average defender. Batum has never been the scoring wing Barnes already is so its easy to say Barnes is an upgrade offensively over Batum immediately. You lose something defensively bc while Barnes is a good defender, he isnt near the Batum above average level.

The next step is you involve the team needs, The Blazers currently have no consistent perimeter offensive options. Matthews & Batum are both inconsistent shooters with inconsistent offensive motors. They are both capable of going for 30 one night then 7 the next night. The Blazers biggest priority should be to upgrade their perimeter offense. The number 1 reason being bc of their All Star big who cant function if teams dont respect your perimeter options & just double him.

The Final step is financials, based on team needs I cant view paying 7-8 mill more, per year, guaranteed, for a pretty big upgrade on defense unless they are a C.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#56 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:02 pm

DusterBuster wrote:Apparently the Cavs are really scared the hitch in MKG's shot and question if it can ever be fixed.

I think they should be. I've watched plenty of video of the guy and each time come away less impressed. Motor and hustle only goes so far

Cleveland may be willing to move the 4th pick because they are unimpressed with the 3 guys that will probably be available there

and it's why the Blazers should not pay much to move into the Cavs draft slot
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,515

Post#57 » by zzaj » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Clarity wrote:...we basically know both players now. Barnes is the most NBA ready player in this draft. I dont think its a mystery what he is.

I think most people will disagree with you on that. Barnes still has plenty of question marks.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#58 » by deanwoof » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:40 pm

isn't thomas robinson the most ready nba player?
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#59 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:02 pm

deanwoof wrote:isn't thomas robinson the most ready nba player?

I'd say so, although Barnes is probably close

if you believe the rumors, apparently portland believes Lillard is NBA-ready
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,867

Post#60 » by JasonStern » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:if you believe the rumors, apparently portland believes Lillard is NBA-ready

four seasons removed from high school, I would hope so.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers