ImageImage

Blazers / Cavs talking deal?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,935

Re: Blazers / Cavs talking deal? 

Post#61 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:11 pm

Apparently someone over at SI is saying that Blazers and Bobcats now seriously considering a trade where the Blazers move up to #2 and taking Thomas Robinson. That according to the guys on 1080's new mid-day show. Looking for where they got that info right now, but can't find it.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
fishnc
Assistant Coach
And1: 449

Post#62 » by fishnc » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:14 pm

DusterBuster wrote:Apparently someone over at SI is saying that Blazers and Bobcats now seriously considering a trade where the Blazers move up to #2 and taking Thomas Robinson. That according to the guys on 1080's new mid-day show. Looking for where they got that info right now, but can't find it.

I'd be okay with that depending on the price to move up. I imagine they want 6 and 11 for 2.

I would not do the deal if they are trying to dump TT on us.
Vega
Pro Prospect
And1: 151

Post#63 » by Vega » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Clarity wrote:You lose something defensively bc while Barnes is a good defender, he isnt near the Batum above average level.

I know what you were saying but I still chuckled at this quote. :P
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#64 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:16 pm

fishnc wrote:I'd be okay with that depending on the price to move up. I imagine they want 6 and 11 for 2.

I'd be shocked if they'd accept anything less.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,313

Post#65 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:19 pm

DusterBuster wrote:Apparently someone over at SI is saying that Blazers and Bobcats now seriously considering a trade where the Blazers move up to #2 and taking Thomas Robinson. That according to the guys on 1080's new mid-day show. Looking for where they got that info right now, but can't find it.

hmmm

that might require the Blazers to take on Tyrus Thomas which some reports have suggested is the requirement for getting that 2nd pick

Even though I like Robinson, I think I'd balk at Matthews and the 6th pick for Thomas and the 2nd pick

Matthews and the 6th pick for Diop is a little more acceptable but still a steep price

Matthews and the 11th for Thomas is a little better

shawne williams + luke Babbitt + 6th or 11th for 2nd + Tyrus Thomas

that thomas contract is just awful though
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#66 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:21 pm

The latest they added to the rumor is that apparently the Bobcats want someone to take Tyrus Thomas' deal. That might mean the Blazers could keep the #11, but have to take Thomas.... Ugh, no thanks.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,798

Post#67 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:21 pm

It is. A classic Jordan (executive version, not player).
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#68 » by Billy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:25 pm

If the price is the #6 + taking on Thomas, I think you have to sub out Matthews. Matthews + 11 would be fine. Some combo of S. Williams, Babbitt, Smith, Thomas + 6 would be fine. But Matthews +#6 is no go.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,140

Post#69 » by cucad8 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:25 pm

DusterBuster wrote:The latest they added to the rumor is that apparently the Bobcats want someone to take Tyrus Thomas' deal. That might mean the Blazers could keep the #11, but have to take Thomas.... Ugh, no thanks.

I would think it would be 11 and contract(Matthews?) for 2 and Thomas. I'd be happy to do that. Though it does add some redundancy to go Robinson, thomas Aldridge and potentially Hickson.
Thomas is overpaid for certain. Not going to pretend he is not. But he can still fill a decent role for us off the bench, IMO, in sort of a birdman sort of role. 20 minutes off the bench to hustle, rebound and block shots. I'm ok with that if it gets us to 2.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#70 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:26 pm

DusterBuster wrote:The latest they added to the rumor is that apparently the Bobcats want someone to take Tyrus Thomas' deal. That might mean the Blazers could keep the #11, but have to take Thomas.... Ugh, no thanks.

see my post above and I mentioned that late last night when those reports surfaced

I think the Thomas contract is far too ugly for any deal. Keep the picks and the cap-space

if Charlotte lowers their sights to dumping Diop, then it's worth discussion
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:34 pm

cucad8 wrote:

I would think it would be 11 and contract(Matthews?) for 2 and Thomas. I'd be happy to do that. Though it does add some redundancy to go Robinson, thomas Aldridge and potentially Hickson.
Thomas is overpaid for certain. Not going to pretend he is not. But he can still fill a decent role for us off the bench, IMO, in sort of a birdman sort of role. 20 minutes off the bench to hustle, rebound and block shots. I'm ok with that if it gets us to 2.

I think, if the Blazers were adding Robinson, Hickson would be just too redundant. be hard to add him when Thomas was there in that salary slot

if they did that deal, Portland should be able to add Babbitt or Shawne Williams to the outgoing package too, probably Williams because Charlotte could use he stretch on him
cucad8
Head Coach

Post#72 » by cucad8 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:36 pm

I agree, probably no need to keep him if that was the deal.
BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Post#73 » by BballFanAddict » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:29 pm

This all begs a question for me, why are we leveraging assets to get the 2nd pick, which likely equates to Thomas Robinson, when our best player is a PF? I am all for BPA, but is Robinson worth moving up for if it costs cap space and assets? It makes me wonder if Robinson is for Portland or if he will be shipped to another team in a trade. Say Orlando?

I just cannot jump-start that dream unless Portland is willing to take on Dwight without an extension, because I simply do not see him signing on here.
lukeyrid13
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

Post#74 » by lukeyrid13 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:30 pm

Why did Portland take LMA #2 when our best player was Z-bo....why didn't we take Jordan cause we had Drexler. If you can get the guy who you think is the 2nd best player in a draft you do it
The Sebastian Express

Post#75 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:32 pm

If they were going to two I imagine their target is Beal, since the Wizards and Cavs are targeting Beal as well.
cucad8
Head Coach

Post#76 » by cucad8 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:33 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:If they were going to two I imagine their target is Beal, since the Wizards and Cavs are targeting Beal as well.

Could be, or could be that 2 is easier to get to potentially than 3 or 4?
BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Post#77 » by BballFanAddict » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:33 pm

lukeyrid13 wrote:Why did Portland take LMA #2 when our best player was Z-bo....why didn't we take Jordan cause we had Drexler. If you can get the guy who you think is the 2nd best player in a draft you do it

Not when the owner says the Blazers are '"retooling" instead of rebuilding. I guess what it comes down to is if it is significantly adverse Portland's cap space or not. If it isn't, then fine by me; but if it prevents Portland from getting a C or PG in FA, then why do it?
The Sebastian Express

Post#78 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:35 pm

cucad8 wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:If they were going to two I imagine their target is Beal, since the Wizards and Cavs are targeting Beal as well.

A possibility.

I still say LaMarcus and Robinson could work though. I believe in the dream of the 90s. I should be banned for a Portlandia reference, I am sorry.
lukeyrid13
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

Post#79 » by lukeyrid13 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:40 pm

BballFanAddict wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Why did Portland take LMA #2 when our best player was Z-bo....why didn't we take Jordan cause we had Drexler. If you can get the guy who you think is the 2nd best player in a draft you do it

Not when the owner says the Blazers are '"retooling" instead of rebuilding. I guess what it comes down to is if it is significantly adverse Portland's cap space or not. If it isn't, then fine by me; but if it prevents Portland from getting a C or PG in FA, then why do it?

Well if you trade Shawne Williams, Babbitt and Kurt Thomas that adds up to 6 mil. TT was making 7.1 this year so probably closer to 8 this upcoming year and then difference between salary in 2 and 6 and you'd lose like 3.5 mil or something

Plus if you really wanted they could trade Wes for cap space and a mid to late first and end up at a net positive in cap space after those deals
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#80 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:52 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:
cucad8 wrote:

A possibility.

I still say LaMarcus and Robinson could work though. I believe in the dream of the 90s. I should be banned for a Portlandia reference, I am sorry.

The 1890's?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers