ImageImage

The NBENFANT Thread (NBA): 2023-2024 Edition!

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Re: The NBENFANT Thread (NBA): 2017-2018 Edition! 

Post#601 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:19 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:They are the Kings. There is a reason why they have been in the lottery since Chris Webber left

That's not technically true. They did make it to the playoffs the season after Webber was traded, in fact, a lot of ex-Blazers were featured on that squad; Bonzi, Shareef, and Monia. That was the last time they had a record above .500. They won 44 games and lost in the first round. In the 12 years since, they highest win total for a season the Kings have had is 38....

There's a reason I'm not excited to just blindly go into a blow-it-all-up rebuild, the Kings are Exhibit A for that.

The Suns would be Exhibit B. They're on their 8th season of no playoffs since blowing it up. They've had a better go of it, they had a 48 win season and missed the playoffs in one of those crazy western conference years where you need 50 W's for an 8th seed. Granted they're on a much better path to being a playoff team than the Kings are, but do they make the playoffs before hitting their a double digit drought? Unlikely.

I just think "The Process" is one of the biggest fools gold things to happen to the NBA in awhile. To me it's a "get rich quick" scheme and now every fan who see their team as stuck in that 50ish win range has a bad case of FOMO (fear of missing out). They saw the "The Process" in Philly where they were able to turn that franchise around in just 5 years, so everyone thinks 'If they can do it, so can we!'.

The problem being two-fold, one, more teams are willing to do that process means more competition at the bottom end and less chance of constantly being one of the Top 4 worst teams. The second problem is you have to also get lucky in the lottery, players have to pan out, stay healthy and the balls have to fall your way even when you're one of the 4 worst. Not to mention that the league is also changing how the lottery works starting next year to try and curb teams from attempting "The Process".

In most cases, you don't end up with the luck the Sixers had and you end up closer to 10 years for a complete tear-down rebuild than you do 5 years - which is "short" in NBA terms. For my money, if you have a 50 win caliber team, you keep it together and try to make moves to improve. It takes so much work and takes so long just to get that far, that I don't believe you just throw that away because a playoff series didn't go like you'd hoped or one FA summer went poorly. I think you only bottom out when it's necessary and it's out of your control to go any other way. If you have a star or two, you ride it out and try to build around as best as possible. If you lose one or both of those stars to FA or trade demands, than you bottom out. Just blowing it up cause your frustrated just feels very short-sighted imo.

But to each their own. That's just my view on how a team should be run.

I think it's important to note there is a difference between the likes of the Sixers and the Suns plus the Kings. Those two latter franchises have had spurts where they try to short-change the process by hiring middling veterans in a desperate attempt to reach the playoffs which the rest of the league and the fans just -know- isn't going to work out. From the Suns acquiring Dudley and Chandler to trading for Brandon Knight or Bledsoe to the Kings inexplicably signing Randolph and Hill.. it's just not a good thing, you know? That sets back the process. The Sixers didn't do any of that, at least that I recall, outside of signing JJ this year to a one year deal when they knew they'd be making a significant step forward.. and under a new regime.

If you interrupt your tanking process with those bad moves, it just keeps you in that terrible middling place or so long.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#602 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:24 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:They are the Kings. There is a reason why they have been in the lottery since Chris Webber left

That's not technically true. They did make it to the playoffs the season after Webber was traded, in fact, a lot of ex-Blazers were featured on that squad; Bonzi, Shareef, and Monia. That was the last time they had a record above .500. They won 44 games and lost in the first round. In the 12 years since, they highest win total for a season the Kings have had is 38....

There's a reason I'm not excited to just blindly go into a blow-it-all-up rebuild, the Kings are Exhibit A for that.

The Suns would be Exhibit B. They're on their 8th season of no playoffs since blowing it up. They've had a better go of it, they had a 48 win season and missed the playoffs in one of those crazy western conference years where you need 50 W's for an 8th seed. Granted they're on a much better path to being a playoff team than the Kings are, but do they make the playoffs before hitting their a double digit drought? Unlikely.

I just think "The Process" is one of the biggest fools gold things to happen to the NBA in awhile. To me it's a "get rich quick" scheme and now every fan who see their team as stuck in that 50ish win range has a bad case of FOMO (fear of missing out). They saw the "The Process" in Philly where they were able to turn that franchise around in just 5 years, so everyone thinks 'If they can do it, so can we!'.

The problem being two-fold, one, more teams are willing to do that process means more competition at the bottom end and less chance of constantly being one of the Top 4 worst teams. The second problem is you have to also get lucky in the lottery, players have to pan out, stay healthy and the balls have to fall your way even when you're one of the 4 worst. Not to mention that the league is also changing how the lottery works starting next year to try and curb teams from attempting "The Process".

In most cases, you don't end up with the luck the Sixers had and you end up closer to 10 years for a complete tear-down rebuild than you do 5 years - which is "short" in NBA terms. For my money, if you have a 50 win caliber team, you keep it together and try to make moves to improve. It takes so much work and takes so long just to get that far, that I don't believe you just throw that away because a playoff series didn't go like you'd hoped or one FA summer went poorly. I think you only bottom out when it's necessary and it's out of your control to go any other way. If you have a star or two, you ride it out and try to build around as best as possible. If you lose one or both of those stars to FA or trade demands, than you bottom out. Just blowing it up cause your frustrated just feels very short-sighted imo.

But to each their own. That's just my view on how a team should be run.

I think it's important to note there is a difference between the likes of the Sixers and the Suns plus the Kings. Those two latter franchises have had spurts where they try to short-change the process by hiring middling veterans in a desperate attempt to reach the playoffs which the rest of the league and the fans just -know- isn't going to work out. From the Suns acquiring Dudley and Chandler to trading for Brandon Knight or Bledsoe to the Kings inexplicably signing Randolph and Hill.. it's just not a good thing, you know? That sets back the process. The Sixers didn't do any of that, at least that I recall, outside of signing JJ this year to a one year deal when they knew they'd be making a significant step forward.. and under a new regime.

If you interrupt your tanking process with those bad moves, it just keeps you in that terrible middling place or so long.

That's a fair point, but after 4ish years, teams start getting impatient. I guess I just dont have much faith the Blazers wouldn't make some of those same types of deals where one trade can set back the rebuild for another 3 or so years.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,832

Post#603 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:58 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
That's a fair point, but after 4ish years, teams start getting impatient. I guess I just dont have much faith the Blazers wouldn't make some of those same types of deals where one trade can set back the rebuild for another 3 or so years.

I agree with that sentiment. I think Allen could be talked into a rebuild even though he seems to be a little wary of one with his recent health scares and his age, but I don't think Olshey would be able to contain himself. (not that I strictly want a full blown rebuild right now, I absolutely love everything about Dame).
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#604 » by JasonStern » Mon Jul 2, 2018 8:21 pm

Read on Twitter
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,406

Post#605 » by Blazinaway » Mon Jul 2, 2018 8:26 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Read on Twitter

I guess that is our "big move" this summer :banghead:
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#606 » by JasonStern » Tue Jul 3, 2018 1:18 am

Blazinaway wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
Read on Twitter

I guess that is our "big move" this summer :banghead:

I'd rather they play in Seattle and be called the Sonics so there's no debate that the Blazers own the Sonics, but what can you do?
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#607 » by JasonStern » Wed Jul 4, 2018 3:47 pm

Read on Twitter
- Chauncey Billups
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#608 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jul 4, 2018 4:24 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Read on Twitter

Scary accurate
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#609 » by Shem » Thu Jul 5, 2018 9:56 pm

There's been a lot of talk about this lately:

April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
7-12-52
Senior
And1: 392

Post#610 » by 7-12-52 » Thu Jul 5, 2018 10:05 pm

Trading Damian would hurt. Trading him to the Lakers would hurt even worse. Getting Lavar Ball back in exchange for him would just be too much. I think that would break me as a Blazer fan.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#611 » by Shem » Fri Jul 6, 2018 12:12 am

Again, this isn't dying anytime soon for whatever reason:

There is a lot more than what I have posted on it.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#612 » by Wickzki » Fri Jul 6, 2018 12:36 am

Are we talking Vancouver BC or Vancouver WA?
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#613 » by Wickzki » Fri Jul 6, 2018 12:38 am

If I'm Dame, I get the hell out of Portland.

He's been as loyal as anyone could have asked for.

But the team has NOT been loyal to him.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#614 » by JasonStern » Fri Jul 6, 2018 3:17 am

Wickzki wrote:If I'm Dame, I get the hell out of Portland.

how have they not been loyal? they gave him a 5 year/$139,888,445 contract and surrounded him, in his prime, with a Lillard/Curry/Leonard super-team.
- Chauncey Billups
Blazer50
Head Coach
And1: 759

Post#615 » by Blazer50 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 2:09 pm

I remember an interview where Olshey praised the Clippers for moving on a rebuild rather than prolonging a retooling course - which the Blazers are following. I really like the character of this Blazer team, the play and intangibles that Dame and CJ bring.

That being said - The Blazers (not just Olshey) have always suffered in not attracting Free Agents which also limits the chips we have to offer in trades. Olshey has done a better than average job in trades and Stotts has developed the young guys, but the options to truly compete are seriously limited. If we don't want to continue the Make the Playoffs and get eliminated in the first round, something has to change. I hope we announce the acquisition of Kawhi or Love (which might elevate us to the 2nd round) - but if its a Major Trade and a total rebuild - I would support that as well.

What challenges my fanaticism for these Blazers is to watch us stand pat through every Free Agency and Trade season. In this iteration, NeO is partially to blame having put us in the current cap situation. I understand losing the cap space and signing Harkless and even Leonard, but Turner could have been signed at $12M and then he might have been the trade chip the Blazer need. At $18M his expiring contract is not going to attract any positive deals - even when it is finally an expiring deal.
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#616 » by Masterfully » Sat Jul 7, 2018 1:40 pm

I read a bit about Robert Williams. Apparently the issue with him is attitude and maybe some health concerns. He has already missed a flight for Boston. And a team meeting or something. Probably why so many passed on him.

Also, remember Jonah Bolden? Seemed like 90% of this board was madly in love with him a year ago. He showed up on Philly’s summer league squad. It’ll be interesting to see if he can crack into the NBA.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#617 » by Sinobas » Sat Jul 7, 2018 2:36 pm

Blazers would not trade Lillard for Hart, Ingram, Ball and a pick. That pick would be a low 1st rounder, and ball is a PG who can't shoot. Lakers would need to offer Kuzma to even get portland to listen.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#618 » by Soulyss » Sun Jul 8, 2018 5:16 pm

Wickzki wrote:If I'm Dame, I get the hell out of Portland.

Yeah I don't get this at all... :crazy:
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#619 » by Soulyss » Sun Jul 8, 2018 5:17 pm

Sinobas wrote:Blazers would not trade Lillard for Hart, Ingram, Ball and a pick. That pick would be a low 1st rounder, and ball is a PG who can't shoot. Lakers would need to offer Kuzma to even get portland to listen.

Ingram is the prize, Ball/Kuzma are icing...
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#620 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jul 8, 2018 5:40 pm

in the never-ending curse to be a King's fan, Marvin Bagley is scheduled for an MRI for an injury to his hip flexor and groin area he suffered in his 1st SL game

Return to Portland Trail Blazers