ImageImage

This summer

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Re: This summer 

Post#121 » by zzaj » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:06 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I went to a couple of mock draft websites tonight and they all had Portland taking 2 SG's with their 3 picks. WTF??? That's the one position we don't need to draft.

Well, the good news is not a single one of them is anywhere close to being accurate at this point. Donovan Mitchell? Come on. Yeah, that's exactly what the Blazers need--a 6'3" shooting guard who doesn't have a single definite NBA skill. I'm surprised he's even in the conversation as a 1st rounder, given that he's likely an end of the rotation player.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#122 » by Blazinaway » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:14 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I went to a couple of mock draft websites tonight and they all had Portland taking 2 SG's with their 3 picks. WTF??? That's the one position we don't need to draft.

I will repeat what I wrote in the draft thread;

"these draft boards are going to shift considerably with combine stats and workouts, I think we can use them as a general guide to work off of as far as "possible" player draft order but as far as a certain player to a certain team? - I think that is pretty meaningless "at this time", just my 2 cents"

so simply ignore "what team picks who" because it is meaningless at this time
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#123 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Downtown wrote:So using two draft picks for development and not expecting them to slot right into the rotation immediately, trading Leonard with a pick attached(hopefully the Cavs), and working on re-signing Nurkic, and go into next season with a returning roster, plus a healthy Davis is about how I see it at best. I don't see a home run off season.

it won't be a home run off-season unless the Blazers luck into Kawhi Leonard type gold with one of their picks. Even then, it wasn't till his 3rd season that Kawhi started to show what he was capable of. Maybe the best to hope for is Portland taking 2 or 3 steps back in order to take a different path forward

as far as Meyers, yes, it would be great if Portland could offload him soon. I'm sick of seeing that guy in a Blazer uniform. I think most of us were really hoping he wouldn't be re-signed last summer. We knew what he was by then, or at least most of us did, and some of us knew it 3 years ago. Unfortunately, Olshey still believed that Meyers had all-star potential. I would be surprised if Olshey was ready to admit the big mistake, do a 180 spin on Meyers, attach a draft pick, and dump him. Which probably means we get to suffer thru another season of Meyers clutzing around in the MC

Dame Lizard wrote:That extra 15% on Crabbe's contract is significant, even if it's just psychologically as he's past the $20M mark. He also fits our system better, so I'd much rather trade Turner.

I wonder if we're overlooking a fairly significant factor about Crabbe's trade bonus. That being that the Blazers would have to pay it....meaning Paul Allen would have to pay it. Allen has shown a stubborn streak before; he may be so reluctant to fork over 8.5 million more to Crabbe, immediately upon trading him, that his requirements for a trade might make it impossible

in other words, a Crabbe trade might not happen; but that doesn't necessarily mean that Crabbe doesn't have some positive trade value or that other teams aren't interested in him. Just that Allen might actually be more willing to risk paying 15 million more in luxury tax then send 8.5 million more Crabbe's way
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#124 » by Blazinaway » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:48 pm

what do you guys think of trading Meyers/Cle pick to the Knicks for Oquinn - nice backup PF/C for 4 mil per next 2 years, also makes Davis expendable if we want to move him this summer or we wait for the deadline
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#125 » by DusterBuster » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Blazinaway wrote:what do you guys think of trading Meyers/Cle pick to the Knicks for Oquinn - nice backup PF/C for 4 mil per next 2 years, also makes Davis expendable if we want to move him this summer or we wait for the deadline

Where do I sign?

How is that trade working given the salary disparity between the two? I've actually been noticing that with a lot of Knicks trades where matching salary hasn't really been bothered to be taken into account much on the Trade Board. Are they gonna have cap space this summer?
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#126 » by Blazinaway » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:58 pm

Duster I assumed Knicks would have capspace, i need to check

I just checked, Rose's 21.2 mil is off the books so they will have plenty of capsace
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#127 » by DusterBuster » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Blazinaway wrote:Duster I assumed Knicks would have capspace, i need to check

I just checked, Rose's 21.2 mil is off the books so they will have plenty of capsace

What about his caphold? Considering they're apparently going to look to resign him to some sort of short-term deal, they'll have that on the books come the start of FA.
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#128 » by Blazinaway » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:10 pm

DusterBuster wrote:

What about his caphold? Considering they're apparently going to look to resign him to some sort of short-term deal, they'll have that on the books come the start of FA.

isn't he a UFA? and if they are rebuilding why sign Rose who just had or is having another knee surgery?
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#129 » by DusterBuster » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

isn't he a UFA?

I believe UFA's still have cap holds until their team renounces them. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that's how it's worked in the past for the Blazers.

EDIT:

A cap hold for a percentage of the previous salary of every unrenounced free agent (see question number 38).

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

I think that's it.
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#130 » by Blazinaway » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:25 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

isn't he a UFA?

I believe UFA's still have cap holds until their team renounces them. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that's how it's worked in the past for the Blazers.

EDIT:

A cap hold for a percentage of the previous salary of every unrenounced free agent (see question number 38).

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

I think that's it.

I think that is correct, so there is a cap hold unless they renounce him but as I said if they decide to rebuild why want Rose and he just had another knee injury, and I did read the article but IMO BS
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#131 » by DusterBuster » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Blazinaway wrote:I think that is correct, so there is a cap hold unless they renounce him but as I said if they decide to rebuild why want Rose and he just had another knee injury, and I did read the article but IMO BS

I wouldn't call the article BS, I mean he has straight up quotes from Jackson who's not a guy to shy away from speaking his mind on what he wants to do with players.

There's a little bit of rationality to the idea of keeping Rose on a short deal as a mentor for whatever PG they end up with in this draft. I don't think he'd be a good fit for that role, but I can understand the thinking of it.

I should also point out that I don't think the cap hold thing would be a massive problem. If I remember right, you can still resign a player after renouncing him, but then you just can't give him any salary incentives for being the team to own his rights and you're just on an even playing field with the rest of the teams. For some players that would be an issue, for Rose, not so much. I can't imagine he's not going to get any massive contract offers from anyone, so they could renounce him and then look to sign him to a smaller deal after making some moves.

That said, I'm not sure Meyers is a guy the Knicks would have much interest in. Phil already criticized Porz for taking too many 3's, calling them "cheap points" or something to that effect. Seems like Meyers would be the antithesis of what Phil wants for his triangle dream team.
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#132 » by Blazinaway » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:43 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:I think that is correct, so there is a cap hold unless they renounce him but as I said if they decide to rebuild why want Rose and he just had another knee injury, and I did read the article but IMO BS

I wouldn't call the article BS, I mean he has straight up quotes from Jackson who's not a guy to shy away from speaking his mind on what he wants to do with players.

There's a little bit of rationality to the idea of keeping Rose on a short deal as a mentor for whatever PG they end up with in this draft. I don't think he'd be a good fit for that role, but I can understand the thinking of it.

I should also point out that I don't think the cap hold thing would be a massive problem. If I remember right, you can still resign a player after renouncing him, but then you just can't give him any salary incentives for being the team to own his rights and you're just on an even playing field with the rest of the teams. For some players that would be an issue, for Rose, not so much. I can't imagine he's not going to get any massive contract offers from anyone, so they could renounce him and then look to sign him to a smaller deal after making some moves.

That said, I'm not sure Meyers is a guy the Knicks would have much interest in. Phil already criticized Porz for taking too many 3's, calling them "cheap points" or something to that effect. Seems like Meyers would be the antithesis of what Phil wants for his triangle dream team.

IMO if they are "really" in rebuild mode (trading Carmelo) this is the type of deal they should make as there is no playoffs in sight for a while and they need to add talent, and its not that high a "net cost" salary wise
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#133 » by DusterBuster » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

IMO if they are "really" in rebuild mode (trading Carmelo) this is the type of deal they should make as there is no playoffs in sight for a while and they need to add talent, and its not that high a "net cost" salary wise

I don't think they're going for that type of rebuild. Trading Melo isn't about starting a rebuild, it's about getting rid of a player Jackson hates and doesn't play the style he's demanding.
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#134 » by Blazinaway » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:52 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

I don't think they're going for that type of rebuild. Trading Melo isn't about starting a rebuild, it's about getting rid of a player Jackson hates and doesn't play the style he's demanding.

they are awful and going nowhere for a few years at least, besides Porz they got nothing and need talent badly. Their pick should be good and adding another helps, they are nowhere for 2-3 years so IMO this makes sense, whether they do it or not or get a better offer is a different story
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#135 » by DusterBuster » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:

they are awful and going nowhere for a few years at least, besides Porz they got nothing and need talent badly. Their pick should be good and adding another helps, they are nowhere for 2-3 years so IMO this makes sense, whether they do it or not or get a better offer is a different story

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just telling you the gist I get from the Knick fans I've talked with over on their board.

As I said, I'd gladly make the deal for the Blazers, but I'm not convinced this is going to fly with the Knicks.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,846

Post#136 » by Norm2953 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:31 pm

One cannot underestimate the impact of Nurkic on this summer for prior to the trade, we were
looking at having Plumlee walk and seeing Meyers as our starting center which almost certainly
would have led to another lottery pick in 2018.

Now we have the ability to build around a more than serviceable big who is young and balances
our roster giving us an inside scorer we haven't had since Sabonis. We now have to add the
supporting pieces and get our salary structure in order which I'm hopeful we can do my next
summer. Make intelligent decisions and we should be okay.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#137 » by PDXKnight » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:53 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
If a player with a negotiated no-trade clause consents to a trade and is traded, his no-trade clause remains in effect with his new team

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q100

In that case, yeah, I fully stand by my statement that Turner is and probably will continue to be more "tradable" than Melo will.

Agreed that Turner by himself could indeed be more tradeable but what if they make it more interesting i.e. they're willing to take back Meyers with Turner? It might take a sweetener from Portland (pick(s)) but if we can get the Knicks to take that kind of offer personally I'd be all for getting a year of bad contracts off the books

I don't really love the idea of adding melo but if the fit is bad we could use him as the best 6th man in the nba. We're an 8 seed and likely aren't gonna be contenders next season so I don't see any problem taking a 2 (or quite possibly 1 with how big these new contracts are) year roll of the dice. Heck if he's not starting there might be a good chance he opts out. I'm sure there's 2-3 teams that will overpay for his services and since he's not getting any younger he might opt to lock himself into longer term security and/ or contention
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#138 » by PDXKnight » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Is it just me or is trading a late first (maybe the Cleveland one?) for a future first or drafting a euro player not necessarily the worst thing? We have a lot of picks this year and a lot of guys are still locked in contracts, unless Olshey really loves 3 big men at the bottom of the first that's a lot of young players to add to the roster
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#139 » by DusterBuster » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Oden2 wrote:Is it just me or is trading a late first (maybe the Cleveland one?) for a future first or drafting a euro player not necessarily the worst thing? We have a lot of picks this year and a lot of guys are still locked in contracts, unless Olshey really loves 3 big men at the bottom of the first that's a lot of young players to add to the roster

Not only is it not the worst thing, it may be a priority. I don't think having 3 1st round rookies next season is ideal. I imagine it's tough to develop that many guys at once on a team trying to be successful
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#140 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:40 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Oden2 wrote:Is it just me or is trading a late first (maybe the Cleveland one?) for a future first or drafting a euro player not necessarily the worst thing? We have a lot of picks this year and a lot of guys are still locked in contracts, unless Olshey really loves 3 big men at the bottom of the first that's a lot of young players to add to the roster

Not only is it not the worst thing, it may be a priority. I don't think having 3 1st round rookies next season is ideal. I imagine it's tough to develop that many guys at once on a team trying to be successful

the other benefit is it punts the trade leverage of extra 1st round pick(s) forward. I don't think Portland could dump Turner or Meyers without attaching a pick right now (and maybe Crabbe as well after today's game), and that might be the case moving ahead too. So having a pick or two extra in the two or three drafts after this one may be a significant advantage

first though, I'd imagine the Blazers might want to see how high they could climb in the draft using a 2 for 1 swap. Would 15 + 19 get them to 12 or 10? Or would 20 + 25 get them to 17 or 16? This all assumes of course they like a player higher in the draft then they already are slotted

Return to Portland Trail Blazers