ImageImage

This summer

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Re: This summer 

Post#301 » by Waynearchetype » Wed Jun 7, 2017 11:22 pm

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/04/27/d-league-salaries-two-way-contracts-increase-nba-draft-early-entries/

(nevermind, won't apply to rookies. We could probably get Tim on one of these if they think it is worthwhile to keep him. Would still need to cut one more tho)
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#302 » by zzaj » Thu Jun 8, 2017 12:41 am

Waynearchetype wrote:http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/04/27/d-league-salaries-two-way-contracts-increase-nba-draft-early-entries/

(nevermind, won't apply to rookies. We could probably get Tim on one of these if they think it is worthwhile to keep him. Would still need to cut one more tho)

Honest question: besides first round guaranteed money, why wouldn't these contracts apply to rookies? I must have missed something...
tester551
Analyst
And1: 816

Post#303 » by tester551 » Thu Jun 8, 2017 1:46 am

zzaj wrote:
Waynearchetype wrote:http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/04/27/d-league-salaries-two-way-contracts-increase-nba-draft-early-entries/

Honest question: besides first round guaranteed money, why wouldn't these contracts apply to rookies? I must have missed something...

They can be applied to rookies. The issue is if someone is drafted in the first round, they have no incentive to sign a 'two way' contract.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#304 » by zzaj » Thu Jun 8, 2017 1:54 am

tester551 wrote:
zzaj wrote:

They can be applied to rookies. The issue is if someone is drafted in the first round, they have no incentive to sign a 'two way' contract.

Right...that's what I figured. Thanks...
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#305 » by Waynearchetype » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:08 pm

Well, there is the whole money thing. Sounds like 2 way contracts go up to 250k. League min for rookies is like 600k right? Why would they give up 350k?
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#306 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:11 am

How would Portland react to a offer from Dallas of

Leonard+Crabbe+Aminu+26+2nd round pick
For Dwight Powell(9-11Million per year for 3 years)

???
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#307 » by DusterBuster » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:17 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:How would Portland react to a offer from Dallas of

???

We could add a Barea or Devin Harris if your in need of a backup guard still.

Blazers don't have a 2nd rounder to trade this year, may have one later on down the road. That said, I'd jump on this deal.

EDIT: Keep Seth or any of the PG's, Portland doesn't need them. They'll need roster space for their 2 rookies they'd be bringing in.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
The Graduate
Freshman
And1: 66

Post#308 » by The Graduate » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:How would Portland react to a offer from Dallas of

???

Yeah, Powell might be overpaid and limited, but I generally like the things he can do. As strange as it sounds, I would indicate my interest, but I would counter by removing the 2nd-round pick attached (and maybe even asking the Mavs for a protected 2nd as well... since I am bargaining). I am one of those Blazers' fans who only wants to include future assets if it provides an actual talent upgrade. This proposal has us shedding a ton of salary (thank you!), but losing the swap from a strictly talent perspective.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#309 » by DusterBuster » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:41 pm

I would say to just simplify the deal to something like:

Leonard + #26 for Powell

or

Leonard + #20 for Powell + 2nd Rounder

Something along those lines.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,906

Post#310 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:23 pm

I really don't see a reason to attach a R1 with Leonard for a player in Powell that has a nearly identical contract. If that's the best we could do, I sit on Myers and wait until 2018 offseason to try and jettison him, or even the trade deadline.

I would do Myers + 26 for pure cap space, Myers + 20 for Kosta Koufos, those sorts of deals. Powell is definitely not worth a R1 pick, and honestly I think Myers has more potential to develop into a bit NBA backup than Powell.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#311 » by Goldbum » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:27 am

I won't repeat my "Crabbe has positive value" take again here because I've beat it to death. But what about something like:

Crabbe +26
For
Okafor
Blazers reduce salary and acquire a backup big who's probably better than the guy they would have taken at 26.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#312 » by Roy The Natural » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:47 am

Goldbum wrote:I won't repeat my "Crabbe has positive value" take again here because I've beat it to death. But what about something like:

Crabbe +26
For
Okafor
Blazers reduce salary and acquire a backup big who's probably better than the guy they would have taken at 26.

Would Probably rather do #20+Leonard for Okafor to be honest. I'm fine keeping Crabbe on board for 1 more year.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#313 » by Goldbum » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Does anyone know, if we trade Moe and Ezeli without taking back salary would we still be over the cap?
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,820

Post#314 » by Fitz303 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Goldbum wrote:Does anyone know, if we trade Moe and Ezeli without taking back salary would we still be over the cap?

Yes. With Ezeli on the books, the Blazers would need to cut roughly 22 Million. If Ezeli is waived, they need to cut roughly 16 Million
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#315 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Fitz303 wrote:
Goldbum wrote:Does anyone know, if we trade Moe and Ezeli without taking back salary would we still be over the cap?

Yes. With Ezeli on the books, the Blazers would need to cut roughly 22 Million. If Ezeli is waived, they need to cut roughly 16 Million

yeah, that's about right

currently, the Blazers are sitting on about 133 million in guaranteed money while the tax threshold has been projected (latest) at about 121 million. But if you count the three 1st round picks, that will add roughly 4.5-5.5 million.

the problem with including Ezeli is that his guarantee date is June 30. He has to be waived by then in order to only carry that 1 million guarantee. And right now, there are no NBA teams that have the space to take on the combined 17.4 million salary of Harkless+Ezeli. Utah has the most space at about 13.6 million. Even a package of Ezeli + Davis is more then any team could take without sending back some salary

I thought Ezeli should have been waived as the season winded down. Portland was in a world of hurt in the big man department and an open roster spot would have allowed them to bring in a big body from D-league

but that wouldn't have made any difference against the Warriors (something that will be said a lot all around RealGM over the next few years) so I guess holding onto Ezeli at least has the appearance of preserving an option. But if he's used, unless it's a multi-team trade, the Blazers would have to take back more salary then Ezeli's 1 million guarantee; so the chances he's used in a trade seem kind of remote
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#316 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:

yeah, that's about right

currently, the Blazers are sitting on about 133 million in guaranteed money while the tax threshold has been projected (latest) at about 121 million. But if you count the three 1st round picks, that will add roughly 4.5-5.5 million.

the problem with including Ezeli is that his guarantee date is June 30. He has to be waived by then in order to only carry that 1 million guarantee. And right now, there are no NBA teams that have the space to take on the combined 17.4 million salary of Harkless+Ezeli. Utah has the most space at about 13.6 million. Even a package of Ezeli + Davis is more then any team could take without sending back some salary

I thought Ezeli should have been waived as the season winded down. Portland was in a world of hurt in the big man department and an open roster spot would have allowed them to bring in a big body from D-league

but that wouldn't have made any difference against the Warriors (something that will be said a lot all around RealGM over the next few years) so I guess holding onto Ezeli at least has the appearance of preserving an option. But if he's used, unless it's a multi-team trade, the Blazers would have to take back more salary then Ezeli's 1 million guarantee; so the chances he's used in a trade seem kind of remote

Yea.. this is why I think the most effective way for the Blazers to get under the luxury, is consolidating Harkless with a couple of picks to move up. Then Ed Davis is likely moved at the deadline. Under the luxury, while consolidating assets into hopefully higher upside assets. Next year, the albatross' are hopefully a bit easier to move with only 2 years on them.

I'd say a plan like this: (Current salary $140.6mil, luxury line $122mil)
- Waive Ezeli (-$7.7$mil = 132.9mil)
- Consolidate Harkless with picks to move up (-$9mil for Harkless, and probably around $1 mil for draft slot for consolidating 2 picks to 1 = $122.9mil)
- Trade Ed Davis at the deadline for a late 1st to late 2nd depending on his play/value (-$6.4 mil = $116.5mil)
- 2018 offseason, try to move Crabbe, Leonard or Turner with 1st rounder.. or less.. depending on whatever you can get.

That's my preferred course of action. Obviously the whole Harkless bit may depend a bit on what other teams are willing to do. But I think the overall approach is something the Blazers should be looking to do.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,906

Post#317 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:05 pm

If NYK has a positive valuation on Evan Turner, and with their interest in Harkless, and with their relative willingness to trade down, does the below deal seem totally off base?

Evan Turner, Mo Harkless, #15 for Lance Thomas, #8

We draft Zach Collins or Lauri Markkanan at #8, then go for a SF / C at 20 and 26. Lance Thomas had a poor season, but seems like a decent backup SF to push whoever we took in R1. Lauri may need to develop defensively and with awareness, but he should be a 38-40% 3PT guy on high volume immediately, and can split time with Vonleh. Aminu slides back into the starting SF spot.

PG - Damian Lillard / Shabazz Napier
SG - CJ McCollum / Allen Crabbe / Pat Connoughton
SF - Al-Fariq Aminu / Lance Thomas / Semi Ojeleye (#26)
PF - Lauri Markkanen (#8) / Noah Vonleh / Vet PF
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Bam Adebayo (#20) / Ed Davis / Myers Leonard
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#318 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:09 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:If NYK has a positive valuation on Evan Turner, and with their interest in Harkless, and with their relative willingness to trade down, does the below deal seem totally off base?

We draft Zach Collins or Lauri Markkanan at #8, then go for a SF / C at 20 and 26. Lance Thomas had a poor season, but seems like a decent backup SF to push whoever we took in R1. Lauri may need to develop defensively and with awareness, but he should be a 38-40% 3PT guy on high volume immediately, and can split time with Vonleh. Aminu slides back into the starting SF spot.

I mean it's fine for me... but that's not going to work for New York IMO. At the very least they're going to want #20 as well. At least to build a trade around Rubio for #20 most likely. They needs a point guard, if their valuation of DSJ and Ntilikina is low, than they may just want to trade for rubio and grab Justin Jackson at 15 who they seem to be high on in reports.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 816

Post#319 » by tester551 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:11 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:If NYK has a positive valuation on Evan Turner, and with their interest in Harkless, and with their relative willingness to trade down, does the below deal seem totally off base?

I'd do that. I think I would ask for KOQ back too, (or Lee instead of Thomas). That would help us out. I'd just hope we would pass on Lauri.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers