ImageImage

Free agency

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,843

Free agency 

Post#1 » by Norm2953 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 2:03 am

The start of free agency is about to begin with PG headed to OKC for Oladipo and Sabonis,
Griffin staying with the Clips $173/5, Jeff Teague headed to Minnesota and even the likes
of Joe Ingles getting $15 M/year

Danny Ainge has got to seething if Gordon Hayward stays with the Jazz. All those assets and
an inability to close on a deal. Perhaps those toxic contracts might not look so toxic next
summer..
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Re: Free agency 

Post#2 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Jul 1, 2017 2:20 am

Suddenly Turner's and Crabbe's contracts no longer seem so bad
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#3 » by Soulyss » Sat Jul 1, 2017 2:37 am

Pg in OKC, Butler on Minny...

If Hayward stays the NW is going to be a brutal division.
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#4 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 2:38 am

We are screwed
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

Renegade
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#5 » by Renegade » Sat Jul 1, 2017 2:45 am

Brandon-Clyde wrote:Suddenly Turner's and Crabbe's contracts no longer seem so bad

And yet here they will thru next season with the Blazers probably into LT and little flexibily to move.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#6 » by Goldbum » Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:24 am

Brandon-Clyde wrote:Suddenly Turner's and Crabbe's contracts no longer seem so bad
Yep, I expect the trade offers for Crabbe to begin rolling in soon. I don't understand why Brooklyn or Philly wouldn't prefer trading for AC when Redick is asking for 3/55 and Ingles just got 4/60...
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#7 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:21 am

so, Blake Griffin was going to be the 1st guy to average 34.5M over a contract. That lasted a minute until it was announced Curry was going average over 40M. That's 3.3M a month; or 770K a week; or 110K a day; or $4567/hour; $77 a minute for every minute, 24 hours a day for 5 years. Imagine you have a box...a real deep box....and every single second a dollar and a quarter and a penny and another part of a penny drop into that box and that goes on for every second of every day for 5 years. Like I said....a real deep box. The pennies alone would add up to 2M dollars, and they'd weigh 5.5 tons
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#8 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:30 am

they are still bad...that doesn't change. Leonard's is bad too. But what really makes them bad is that they are all on one team; it's the aggregate impact of the three deals
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,827

Post#9 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:59 am

Meanwhile, in Blazers news, we switch over to the feed of local reporters:

tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#10 » by tester551 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 7:41 am

Wizenheimer wrote:

they are still bad...that doesn't change. Leonard's is bad too. But what really makes them bad is that they are all on one team; it's the aggregate impact of the three deals

Exactly. I still haven't seen a deal reported as complete that I would consider worse.

I think the Chicago /Cristiano Felicio (4yr / $32M) and the Clippers / Blake (5yr / $173M) deals are close though.

The Sebastian Express wrote:Meanwhile, in Blazers news, we switch over to the feed of local reporters:

What do you expect? Portland is several million over the tax line & we have 15 players under contract. There isn't a whole lot of options out there for Portland. It's going to be a very quiet summer. Get used to it.
The Sebastian Express

Post#11 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Jul 1, 2017 8:14 am

tester551 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

Exactly. I still haven't seen a deal reported as complete that I would consider worse.

I think the Chicago /Cristiano Felicio (4yr / $32M) and the Clippers / Blake (5yr / $173M) deals are close though.

The Sebastian Express wrote:Meanwhile, in Blazers news, we switch over to the feed of local reporters:

What do you expect? Portland is several million over the tax line & we have 15 players under contract. There isn't a whole lot of options out there for Portland. It's going to be a very quiet summer. Get used to it.

Perhaps you're under the impression that I expected Portland to be making moves. No. My comment is strictly on the uselessness of the Blazers reporters, of which I think we have at least six dedicated local ones, not counting team employees who would obviously be silent. It's about a lack of content and any news.
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#12 » by Masterfully » Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:17 pm

I knew a day would come when Damian and CJ's contracts would seem like bargains, but I didn't think it would be so soon. $25M per year for Jrue?? Yikes!
wjun15
Rookie
And1: 407

Post#13 » by wjun15 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:17 pm

how
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#14 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:51 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:
tester551 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

Perhaps you're under the impression that I expected Portland to be making moves. No. My comment is strictly on the uselessness of the Blazers reporters, of which I think we have at least six dedicated local ones, not counting team employees who would obviously be silent. It's about a lack of content and any news.

Is there 6 still? Quick, Freeman, Jaynes, Richman, Gunderson, .... am I missing one?
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
The Sebastian Express

Post#15 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Jul 1, 2017 5:06 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
tester551 wrote:Exactly. I still haven't seen a deal reported as complete that I would consider worse.

Is there 6 still? Quick, Freeman, Jaynes, Richman, Gunderson, .... am I missing one?

Is Gunderson still working? I thought the Columbian closed things down. There's also some guy named Steve Brandon, I think? and Eggers for the Portland Tribune. If we're still counting them.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#16 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jul 1, 2017 5:12 pm

DusterBuster wrote:

Is Gunderson still working? I thought the Columbian closed things down. There's also some guy named Steve Brandon, I think? and Eggers for the Portland Tribune. If we're still counting them.

Gunderson is still covering Portland for some online source. He does a podcast, LockedOnBlazers.

Forgot about Eggers. He's like a million years old, can't remember the last time he ever broke (or even commented on) Blazer news lol.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#17 » by d-train » Sat Jul 1, 2017 8:26 pm

$23M for JJ Redick
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#18 » by Blazinaway » Sat Jul 1, 2017 8:54 pm

d-train wrote:$23M for JJ Redick

for ONE yr, probably a good move for Philly, they have to get to the lower cap in any case and Reddick is what they need shooting wise and a veteran presence
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#19 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Jul 1, 2017 9:33 pm

wjun15 wrote:

how

By comparing them to deals made by similar or worse players. Last year those deals seemed terrible because there were many players of similar talent and experience earning much less because they were signed under the old salary cap. Now we see with these new signings we see a new normal setting in
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Run PDX
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Post#20 » by Run PDX » Sat Jul 1, 2017 10:04 pm

According to Woj, the Suns struck out on Millsap and now they are going "young." They will absorb contracts for assets.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers