PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Re: Free agency 

Post#261 » by PDXKnight » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:42 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
zzaj wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
maybe. I'm not the one paying the luxury tax bill.

It also depends on what you call a "sharpshooter". If you take away the last two games of last year's regular season (in which he played great) you have two seasons full of 0-0, 0-1, 0-2, 0-3 with the occasional 1-1 and 1-2 mixed in to up his percentages.

Pat seems to show decent skills and instincts for a third string player, and shows a competitive streak...but his skill set isn't so precious that it can't be easily replaced by any number of lower tier FAs.

I think there is a fair chance that Pat could be our 3rd best 3 point shooter and our 2nd unit is going to need floor spacing.

I do think its imperative that we get below the tax this season, which means cutting 3 million if we want to hang onto Pat.

I think cutting 3 mil could be easily done. Ed Davis's contract is decent along with Aminu's. I could easily see one of those guys being expendable especially if one of the rookies proves to be a valuable rotation guy.

I do agree that Connaughton could be our 3rd best 3 point shooter and I'd like to at least give him a shot to prove that he can be. We are pretty loaded in the front court now but I really think it's gonna be important to have a guard who can shoot coming off the bench. Napier might fill some of that void but at 6-1 he probably shouldn't be playing much SG
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#262 » by Norm2953 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:55 am

I tend to think Portland will be well under the tax line by the trade deadline. It would help
if the much maligned Meyers and ET would play well enough to merit PT but let's see how
things look at the start of fall camp. Much of this board would be beside themselves if
Meyers actually is playing well enough to earn some minutes behind Nurkic.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,400

Post#263 » by Blazinaway » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:51 pm

any interest in Shabazz Muhammad? if he was really cheap is there anyway we could sign him given our cap situation? would we want to?

"The Minnesota Timberwolves are attempting to re-sign Shabazz Muhammad in free agency.

The Wolves allowed Muhammad to become an unrestricted free agent after it looked like he wouldn't fit into their plans. The Wolves can only offer Muhammad the veteran's minimum.

Muhammad's market in free agency has been more tepid than some expected."
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#264 » by PDXKnight » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:20 pm

Blazinaway wrote:any interest in Shabazz Muhammad? if he was really cheap is there anyway we could sign him given our cap situation? would we want to?

"The Minnesota Timberwolves are attempting to re-sign Shabazz Muhammad in free agency.

The Wolves allowed Muhammad to become an unrestricted free agent after it looked like he wouldn't fit into their plans. The Wolves can only offer Muhammad the veteran's minimum.

Muhammad's market in free agency has been more tepid than some expected."

Yeah I'd have interest in Muhammed but I question whether the Blazers would unless we dealt away some long-term salary
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#265 » by PDXKnight » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I tend to think Portland will be well under the tax line by the trade deadline. It would help
if the much maligned Meyers and ET would play well enough to merit PT but let's see how
things look at the start of fall camp. Much of this board would be beside themselves if
Meyers actually is playing well enough to earn some minutes behind Nurkic.

5 Years into the Meyers experiment, I think if he was gonna develop that moment passed a season ago at least
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 534

Post#266 » by Goldbum » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:26 am

I like the other Shabazz...hes a very poor man's Melo. Could blend well with our bench.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#267 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:47 pm

Not the biggest fan of Shabazz. Maybe if we managed to jettison Turner rather than Crabbe, but I dislike the idea of our primary G/F backups having extremely poor shooting range. Also, IDK where the minutes would come from.

I think we need to just hope that Pat can give us a few minutes of 3rd string shooting because Turner is going to be the primary backup SG.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers