Free agency

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Re: RE: Re: Free agency 

Post#181 » by britblazerdude » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:58 pm

DavidSterned wrote:
This, of course, is idiotic. Clark County is more economically independent of Portland than Clackamas and Washington Counties are, and as far as being "a dump", it also has a higher median income than Multnomah County does. Unlike Portland, it isn't filled to the brim with homeless camps, meth 'hoods, and nasty hipster gentrification.

And you've obviously never even been remotely near the Sunset Highway if you think that Clark County is the source of your awful traffic in the Portland area (SW Portland? No WA person works south of downtown Portland, bro). I live in the "dump" around Salmon Creek and can tell you that it usually takes me only 25-30 minutes to get to downtown Portland outside of the 7-9am window.

Salmon Creek isn't really Vancouver, though. I mean you're not in dumpy Vancouver when you're up in Salmon Creek.

And wasn't talking about sunset highway, was talking about I5. It's how Portland is set up. Traffic from Marquam Bridge to Interstate Bridge is almost all exclusively traffic for people commuting back to Washington. This back logs Portland traffic at the I-84 / I-5 interchange, which backs up the I-5 down through SW Portland on the other side of the bridge. Next time you're on I-5 during rush hour to get back to Washington, look at how many plates are Washington plates. It's like 1/3 Washington plates going over the Marquam Bridge and when you are on I-5 solidly in NE Portland during rush hour, it's about 1/2 Washington plates.

Vancouver traffic is also crippling for people on I-84 because the 84 to 205 interchange is only 1 lane, so it spills out all the way back into downtown. Once you clear I-84 beyond the 205 interchange, traffic clears up a bunch. It's all people going to Vancouver.

The city's traffic problem has worsened from areas in all parts of the Metro area, but Vancouver is by far and away the biggest factor because it all filters through 2 undersized bridges.
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Re: Free agency 

Post#182 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:01 pm

Stop using idiotic to describe each other's thoughts. Take the conversation about Portland and counties to the ANything Goes Thread or make an off-topic thread. Thanks.
britblazerdude
RealGM

Post#183 » by britblazerdude » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:02 pm

Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#184 » by Waynearchetype » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:09 am

So, the Blazers stretched Ezelis 1m... My question is, why? If anything, having that money on the books for longer than this year is likely more costly due to repeater tax... Why make that move now?
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#185 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:45 am

Waynearchetype wrote:So, the Blazers stretched Ezelis 1m... My question is, why? If anything, having that money on the books for longer than this year is likely more costly due to repeater tax... Why make that move now?

Hm, it would make some sense if we thought we could get almost under the tax and thought this gave us a little more hope of squeezing under.

They stretched Varejao too and I did not get that. Maybe something to do with deferring payments without incurring a penalty, such that you can make a little bit extra on that money (the tax money, not what Ezeli gets) by holding onto it until next year? Seems slim margins though.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#186 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:08 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Waynearchetype wrote:So, the Blazers stretched Ezelis 1m... My question is, why? If anything, having that money on the books for longer than this year is likely more costly due to repeater tax... Why make that move now?

Hm, it would make some sense if we thought we could get almost under the tax and thought this gave us a little more hope of squeezing under.

They stretched Varejao too and I did not get that. Maybe something to do with deferring payments without incurring a penalty, such that you can make a little bit extra on that money (the tax money, not what Ezeli gets) by holding onto it until next year? Seems slim margins though.

Ezeli's stretch will be 3 years so there is no possibility of repeater tax impact

if you assume his cap-charge comes of the top end of the tax penalty, then this move saved 667K X 3.25, or 2.168M...that's a sizable amount of money; about 5% of what the tax bill was scheduled to before the stretch. it's a logical move

as for Varejao, the stretch gave Portland an extra 8M in cap-space last summer. LOL...I guess another way to look at it is that by stretching Varejao the Blazers had enough space to sign Ezeli.... :banghead:
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,887

Post#187 » by JasonStern » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:38 pm

britblazerdude wrote:Image

Remember how hard it was to be a fan back in the day? Brutal offseason.

2004 NBA draft:
22 Viktor Khryapa
23 Sergei Monia
24 Delonte West
25 Tony Allen
26 Kevin Martin
27 Saša Vujačić
28 Beno Udrih
29 David Harrison
30 Anderson Varejão

literally 6 of the next 7 picks went on to have serviceable to good NBA careers. no wonder that rebuild took so long.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#188 » by soobias » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:58 pm

wasnt that nash and patterson drafting that year as pres and gm ?
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#189 » by GEE » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:11 am

Speaking of Patterson, he just got a GM job in the NHL. NBA to NFL to NHL. That's versatility.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#190 » by PDXKnight » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:25 am

GEE wrote:Speaking of Patterson, he just got a GM job in the NHL. NBA to NFL to NHL. That's versatility.

And the Texas AD job at one point. :wink:
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#191 » by PDXKnight » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:26 am

soobias wrote:wasnt that nash and patterson drafting that year as pres and gm ?

Yeah. John Nash was so bad!
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#192 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:38 am

I wonder sometimes if Portland would have been better off at the end of free agency last summer if
Mo Harkless had signed elsewhere. That would have most certainly dropped Portland into the lottery
for not even the arrival of Nurkic would have gotten Portland past Denver.

Likely we'd be looking at 37 or so wins and with the 12th, 20 and 26 picks, might have gotten Zach
Collins at 12 and drafted another useful player at 20 along with Swanigan. TBC, the better course
of action would have been to allow Crabbe or Meyers walk but when Harkless as the last free agent
to re-sign, Portland knew how much his contract would hamstring the teams' cap for years to come.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#193 » by Soulyss » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:58 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

Stretching takes drops the hit down to 200k or so for this year right? That saves us a cool 1.5 million in tax money or so.. I might have the percentages off, but it's real money.
britblazerdude
RealGM

Post#194 » by britblazerdude » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Are we going to release Connaughton?
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#195 » by Ripcity4life » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:38 pm

i believe they have to decide on Pat by like the 21st or something might be a few days later but i remember reading 20 something of july.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#196 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Ripcity4life wrote:i believe they have to decide on Pat by like the 21st or something might be a few days later but i remember reading 20 something of july.

they said on the broadcast yesterday it was July 25th
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#197 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Since they shut him down for the Summer League, that kind of leads me to think they are going to keep him.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DavidSterned
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,152

Post#198 » by DavidSterned » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:56 pm

britblazerdude wrote:
DavidSterned wrote:
This, of course, is idiotic. Clark County is more economically independent of Portland than Clackamas and Washington Counties are, and as far as being "a dump", it also has a higher median income than Multnomah County does. Unlike Portland, it isn't filled to the brim with homeless camps, meth 'hoods, and nasty hipster gentrification.

And you've obviously never even been remotely near the Sunset Highway if you think that Clark County is the source of your awful traffic in the Portland area (SW Portland? No WA person works south of downtown Portland, bro). I live in the "dump" around Salmon Creek and can tell you that it usually takes me only 25-30 minutes to get to downtown Portland outside of the 7-9am window.

Salmon Creek isn't really Vancouver, though. I mean you're not in dumpy Vancouver when you're up in Salmon Creek.

And wasn't talking about sunset highway, was talking about I5. It's how Portland is set up. Traffic from Marquam Bridge to Interstate Bridge is almost all exclusively traffic for people commuting back to Washington. This back logs Portland traffic at the I-84 / I-5 interchange, which backs up the I-5 down through SW Portland on the other side of the bridge. Next time you're on I-5 during rush hour to get back to Washington, look at how many plates are Washington plates. It's like 1/3 Washington plates going over the Marquam Bridge and when you are on I-5 solidly in NE Portland during rush hour, it's about 1/2 Washington plates.

Vancouver traffic is also crippling for people on I-84 because the 84 to 205 interchange is only 1 lane, so it spills out all the way back into downtown. Once you clear I-84 beyond the 205 interchange, traffic clears up a bunch. It's all people going to Vancouver.

The city's traffic problem has worsened from areas in all parts of the Metro area, but Vancouver is by far and away the biggest factor because it all filters through 2 undersized bridges.

People in Salmon Creek have Vancouver addresses and certainly consider themselves Vancouver area residents ven if they aren't within the city limits. Same with most folks in Felida, Lincoln, Brush Prairie/Hockinson, and most of the eastern side of town out to Camas, none of which are "dumps". Clark County has a half million people dude, of course there are dumpy areas among that. Everywhere else with that population has some skiddy areas too (Do you even know what Gresham is?). The county at large is overwhelmingly middle class and is hardly unique demographically amongst the Portland area.

And that's a pretty ridiculously unscientific way of looking at traffic. Totally anecdotal in the first place, not to mention failing to take into account that Washington is simply a way more populated state than Oregon is. It stands to reason that in a city with the proximity to WA that Portland has that there will always be a sizable percentage of WA plates on the road. It hardly means that Clark County is accounting for the majority of Portland traffic woes, as you suggested. Clark County isn't responsible for Portland's infrastructure issues.

You made some shoddy generalizations.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#199 » by DusterBuster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:01 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Since they shut him down for the Summer League, that kind of leads me to think they are going to keep him.

I mean, why not? He pooped the bed in SL, but who cares? If you listened to Olshey's interview last night, SL is pretty far from importance for these guys in terms of talent evaluation. Might as well give Pat one more season unless there's a pressing need for his roster spot, which right now, there isn't.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#200 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:28 pm

one thing about keeping Connaughton:

because of Blazer's tax situation Connaughton would cost Portland 6.25M next season. Ed Davis will cost 6.35M

Return to Portland Trail Blazers