Total votes: 28

rasta_marley
Starter
And1: 509

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Worse Blazer era 

Post#21 » by rasta_marley » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:07 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
britblazerdude wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:That 04-07 era had all the problems of the JailBlazers era with none of the winning. I think people are underplaying the amount of JailBlazer like antics that happened in that era aswell. Easily the worst.

Yeah, the 2006 Blazers had Patterson, Miles, Telfair, Skinner, etc. Not the most upstanding folk. Jail Blazers lasted through 06. Which was probably the lowest attendance and when there was talk of Blazers leaving town. So, obviously resentful to fans who gave up on the organization then and then came back for the Roy era and the playoffs. Same people that used to make fun of me for caring so much for the bad Blazers teams, those people now frequent the "Moda Center", as i'm sure they call it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using RealGM mobile app

You're forgetting ZBo who had that hotel room night rape allegation around those years.... For me, the JailBlazer years go from the late 90's to 2006-2007.

Zbo was hands down the worst player he was such a black hole. Those were very painful game to watch! I was and still am a huge sheed fan, soo what if he liked his weed....

I first started following blazers in 7th grade which was like 98 i think. I really enjoyed those games goo mighty mouse!!!

Sent from my LG-K373 using RealGM mobile app
Heej wrote:And tbh I'm not entirely convinced MJ wasn't just the 90s version of KD.

:lol:
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Re: RE: Re: Worse Blazer era 

Post#22 » by Masterfully » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:41 pm

britblazerdude wrote:
Masterfully wrote:Jail Blazer era made me stop being a fan of the team. The 04-07 era was crappy, but I wasn't embarrassed to be associated with them.

Oh . . . . You were one of those "fans". Forever noted. Hmmmmm.

Oh no, I've been outed. The horror.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,887

Re: Worse Blazer era 

Post#23 » by JasonStern » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:18 pm

"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#24 » by PDXKnight » Tue Aug 1, 2017 12:23 am

britblazerdude wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:Whenever we thought Martell Webster would be good.

"Why didn't we trade down and get Gerlad green?" was the narrative that year, lol. I was happy we got Jarret Jack. I specifically remember being on realgm to discuss that draft.

I never bought the Gerald green hype myself. Even at the time I kept getting annoyed at the fact that we were in a position to take Chris Paul who I saw as far and away the best player in that draft and all the talk was about martell Webster having one good workout and Gerald green being s big prospect. No doubt both Martell and green looked decent and if I had to take one or the other going into that draft I would have taken green due to his appearing to have better upside but the national consensus was that Paul was the best player so idk what the blazers fo was thinking
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,887

Post#25 » by JasonStern » Tue Aug 1, 2017 6:18 pm

Oden2 wrote:
britblazerdude wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:Whenever we thought Martell Webster would be good.

"Why didn't we trade down and get Gerlad green?" was the narrative that year, lol. I was happy we got Jarret Jack. I specifically remember being on realgm to discuss that draft.

I never bought the Gerald green hype myself. Even at the time I kept getting annoyed at the fact that we were in a position to take Chris Paul who I saw as far and away the best player in that draft and all the talk was about martell Webster having one good workout and Gerald green being s big prospect. No doubt both Martell and green looked decent and if I had to take one or the other going into that draft I would have taken green due to his appearing to have better upside but the national consensus was that Paul was the best player so idk what the blazers fo was thinking

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14067829/nba-new-jersey-nets-drafted-kobe-bryant-20-years-ago

John Nash blew the chance to draft Kobe as a GM, and you could tell it kind of biased him into drafting unproven kids out of high school based on "potential" (Telfair, Webster, Green rumors, etc.). meanwhile, Jermaine O'Neal was dominating at the time, so Paul Allen was probably pretty easy to sell on the whole draft and develop high schoolers.

and this wasn't a front office that had info "leak" - Nash would just blab out to the media in interviews exactly what he was thinking. re-read some of the interviews he gave. "oh, we really like that Sebastian Telfair kid. that guy's gonna be special!" - and he's saying that stuff pre-draft. /sigh
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#26 » by Case2012 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 12:10 am

Jail Blazers were a good team and fun to watch. I miss that dgaf attitude and I hope Collins and Swag bring that toughness we lack.
Instagram: @casetwelve
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Post#27 » by Blazers98 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 2:18 am

While winning is nice, I'd have to say jail blazers. Many of those guys were just real jerks in real life as well. Hard to root for guys like that.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#28 » by soobias » Thu Aug 3, 2017 9:27 am

nash has to have the worst track record for all basketball GM's in history....
a_sensei
Analyst
And1: 658

Post#29 » by a_sensei » Thu Aug 3, 2017 5:41 pm

The "JailBlazer" era often erroneously is stuck to the the early 2000s team. In reality the term started in the mid 90s and lasted for 10+ years. The "JailBlazer" period should really be divided into three or four eras.

Era #1 (96-99):
In 96-97 they brought in JR Rider, Kenny Anderson and Stacy Augmon to join a colorful cast of youngsters that included Dontonio Wingfield, Gary Trent and newly acquired Rasheed Wallace. Buck Williams was gone and the only piece of the early 90s team left was Uncle Cliffy, who had some issues in the community as well. During that time they added Damon Stoudamire in a trade and drafted Bonzi Wells. Off court incidents were dominated by Rider (airport trantrum, following drug arrest for smoking weed out of a soda can in his car he said "Forty miles from here, they're probably still hanging people from trees.") Trent, who was already on probabation for assaulting his pregnant girlfriend, was arrested for assault outside an event for at-risk kids. Young Rasheed was amongst the league leaders in technical fouls (a list dominated by future Hall of Famers like Gary Payton, Karl Malone and Charles Barkley). I've heard numerous people that cover the Blazers say that this group was actually the one that had the real bad guys. That era continued building until 98-99 when they surprisingly were a top team in the WC and made the WCF. Despite some public outcry, the WCF team was well received by the community and good guy Brian Grant (aka the "Rasta Monsta") was the face of that run.

Era #2 (99-01):
I'd say 99-01 was an era all to its self. The team was successful (despite epic meltdowns), fewer off the court incidents, lots of technical fouls. Rider was traded for Steve Smith. A bunch of role playing dudes were traded for Scottie Pippen. Detlef Schrempf was signed. They battled the Lakers as the top team in the NBA throughout the season and had the famous WCF series that ended with the dramatic fourth quarter meltdown. Good guy Brian Grant was traded for Shawn Kemp. Jermaine O'Neal was traded for Dale Davis. At 42-18 the team was looking like championship contenders. The roster was two deep with starter to star quality players at each position (Stoudmire/Anthony, Smith/Wells, Pippen/Augmon, Sheed/Kemp, Sabonis/Davis). Naturally they brought in two more former stars (Schrempf out of retirement and the recenlty bought out Rod Strickland) and that killed their chemistry. For good. They finished the season losing 14 of the final 22 games, falling to the seventh seed, getting swept by the Lakers in the first round in nothing but blowouts.

Era #3 (01-03):
After the 00-01 Sabonis retired. Steve Smith was traded. Zach Randolph was drafted. Ruben Patterson (the "nanny raper") was signed. The following year Qyntel Woods was drafted. Now we're to the era that famously includes:
- Z-Bo coldocking Patterson while Ruben was being held back
- Stoudemire's three weed incidents including with Sheeds in the yellow hummer on the way back from a game in Seattle and trying to get weed wrapped in tinfoil through an airport metal detector
- Bonzi Wells telling the fans they didn't matter
- Qyntel Woods getting pulled over with a lit joint and using his basketball card for ID and being involved in a dog fighting ring
- Shawn Kemp's substance abuse that allegedly included doing blow in the locker room at halftime in full view of teammates
- Sheed setting the technical foul record that may never be broken and precitated changing the rules to included automatic suspensions at different season totals for technicals (personally I think if Draymond was treated by the refs like Sheed he'd have just as many techs), and threatening Tim Donaghy (lol) on the loading dock after a game.
One of my favorite moments was the team's final playoff series when they nearly came back from a 3-0 deficit against the Mavs. Bonzi looked like a star in the making, Z-Bo went from a reserve to a guy with star potential, Pippen and out of retirement Sabonis found the fountain of youth.
The Nash/Patterson era started in the 03-04 offseason and they traded Sheed and Bonzi in Feb. 04. Some would call that the end of the Jailblazer time.

Era #4: (04-06)
Z-Bo and Darius Miles in the early Nate era had their share of incidents. Ruben Patterson was still there. So was Stoudemire, although he was rehabbing his image. Nick Van Exel wasn't known as NBA good guy. Savior PG Sebastian Telfair got into his share of trouble (mostly after his Blazer tenure). Mostly this was just a really crappy team with a little bit of hope for the near future (a nice run in '04 led to contracts for Miles, Abdur-Rahim and Ratliff and the thought that, along with Randoph, this could be a really good NBA front line for years), the future future (Webster, Outlaw, Telfair, Kryapa... okay, maybe we were desperate for hope). Some would argue that the true end of the era was when Brandon Roy took the reigns and/or when Z-Bo was traded.

Personally I was a fan the whole time. I was frustrated when they seemed to give up in the early 2000s. I was frustrated when in the mid-00s when they were terrible and Juan Dixon was consistently leading the team in shots taken while Martell Webster and Travis Outlaw could barely get in the game. That being said, I found hope. I like the journey.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#30 » by PDX MM » Sun Aug 6, 2017 6:12 pm

Things are more tolerable when the team is winning so I didn't mind the Jail Blazer era (except for Wells who I still can't stand today) and watching your team lose pretty much every night gets old very quick.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,453

Post#31 » by Myth » Mon Aug 7, 2017 6:39 pm

Mid-2000s. There were benefits though, because I went to games cheaper than ever, which was nice because I was a broke college student. My proudest moment during that run was getting a Blazer ticket for $2.49 off an ebay bid to see KG and the Timberwolves. It was the only era I can recall in which I was at times more excited to see some opponents than to see the Blazers. I hate him now, but early in his career, I was a fan of LeBron and I remember seeing his first career triple double for about $10. It is ridiculous how cheap those games were. Given that the highlights of that era for me were scoring cheap tickets and seeing other team's accomplishments, I'd say that was a pretty bad era.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers