ImageImage

Kyrie to Boston, wow

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Re: Kyrie to Boston, wow 

Post#21 » by Wickzki » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:58 am

This is one of those trades that in 2-3 years people will look back on sheepishly with the realization that the opposite of what they thought was going to happen happened.

I do, however, find it ironic what Danny Ainge did.

Chicago demand Brooklyn pick for Jimmy Butler -- Ainge passes
Indiana demand Brooklyn pick for Paul George -- Ainge passes

Another couple of major players are offered for the Brooklyn pick, Ainge passes.

Cavs ask for not only the Brooklyn pick but IT, Crowder and Zizic and Ainge agrees.

Celtics, who went an Eastern Conference high 53-29 last season trade away or lose to free agency four of their starters, and their first big off the bench (Olynyk).
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#22 » by monopoman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:42 am

I am not a huge Kyrie fan but I feel that he is a much more valuable player long term than IT. This might make Cleveland better in the very short term but I would rather have Kyrie if we are talking 3-4 years from now.

In fact this deal only looks good beyond this coming season if LBJ sticks around because IT will put them into perpetual treadmill status if LBJ leaves. Anyways I am glad we get to see #1 option Kyrie because this will be a much more accurate indication of who is better Kyrie or Dame.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,456

Post#23 » by Pattycakes » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:28 am

DusterBuster wrote:This is quite possibly the most perfect trade I've ever seen a team make with regards to the Cavs. It literally accomplishes every goal they set out for not just the present, but also the future regardless of if LeBron stays or leaves. Props to them. The Celtics meanwhile.... yikes. Not sure the thinking on that one. Just feels like a massive overpay when Thomas is arguably as good as Kyrie. Seems like they didn't need to give up that Nets pick....

Was watching The Ringer talk about the trade on their Facebook Live feed, one of the hosts threw out the idea of the Cavs trading Love to Portland for Aminu and Harkless.... for whatever that's worth.

Portland would say: you guys sure???
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#24 » by Dame Lizard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:01 pm

Brilliant trade for Cleveland, particularly given that disgruntled stars haven't been worth much recently.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,082

Post#25 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:
I tend to agree but its fun to think about and throw some ideas out, here's one for fun

Tristan Thompson (and filler if needed) and Brooklyn pick for Marc Gasol?

I just don't see the point for Cleveland. I don't think that gets them any closer to beating GS.

I guess we just disagree that Marc Gasol/Lebron/Love/Crowder/IT can't beat GS

Don't forget Wade, once Chicago buys him out.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#26 » by Billy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:28 pm

Boston arguably received the most talented player, but I agree with those that say Cleveland won the deal. The Brooklyn pick will likely be high yet again, but possibly most importantly they don't really drop in the present. I imagine the flexibility with that Brooklyn pick will setup a number of options that can help Cleveland not just if Lebron leaves, but to potentially entice him to stay. IT may bolt with Lebron, but he definitely gives Cleveland a chance to make another Finals run.

IMO, this is very much Boston ripping out its own heart. Not to equate them talent wise, but this would be like Portland trading Damian. Even if you win in talent, there is a high likelihood you lose in chemistry. I don't see Kyrie going out and recruiting like IT. Irving will have to go in and earn respect from the locker room (something he'd have to do anyway), but he'll have to earn that much more to replace what IT brought them.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#27 » by Downtown » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Like the majority, at first glance I saw this as an easy win for Cleveland. But after looking at it a little deeper I can see it from Boston's point of view although I still think the Cavs came out on top.

Thomas has a potentially long term issue with his hip. He wants the max and even though he proved he deserves it one has to wonder about the future if he gets the max over four years and his durability dwindles. BUT, Irving has issues as well with his knee so it's not a given he will play every game either.

But if one takes the approach that the team that gets the best player wins the trade then Boston gets the best player. As far as them putting Crowder into the deal Hayward and Tatum are more than enough to offset that so I can see why Ainge was willing to include Crowder. But Crowder just might become insurance, albeit not in the same comparison, if Lebron does leave.

Zizic was a player who I was impressed with even though it was just summer league. He was at least the equal, if not better, than Zac Collins in the game they went up against each other. He could be a solid backup centre for Cleveland for the next three years at a very cheap price.

The real kicker in the trade then is the draft pick. It should be a top ten pick and that player could be a significant piece for Cleveland although as pointed out there's never a guarantee with that. But it could be a significant part of the trade if it ends up a top five pick.

And I'm sure the Cavs owner isn't upset about gaining the $29mil in luxury tax either.

I really can't picture how Cleveland could get more for Irving than they did and only time will tell if Thomas can stay healthy but if he does then it's quite a big return for Cleveland.

And Boston gives up pieces they can live without in return for a player that just might make a difference combined with Hayward and Tatum. You can probably tell I'm still kind of back and forth on this but leaning in favour of Cleveland if I have to pick a winner.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,957

Post#28 » by DusterBuster » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:20 pm

Wickzki wrote:This is one of those trades that in 2-3 years people will look back on sheepishly with the realization that the opposite of what they thought was going to happen happened.

I do, however, find it ironic what Danny Ainge did.

Chicago demand Brooklyn pick for Jimmy Butler -- Ainge passes
Indiana demand Brooklyn pick for Paul George -- Ainge passes

Another couple of major players are offered for the Brooklyn pick, Ainge passes.

Cavs ask for not only the Brooklyn pick but IT, Crowder and Zizic and Ainge agrees.

Celtics, who went an Eastern Conference high 53-29 last season trade away or lose to free agency four of their starters, and their first big off the bench (Olynyk).

Same here. All the talk was that the Celtics didn't make those deals because they wanted a pick and one or two of their value contracts like Crowder and they just thought that was too much..... but then end up trading Crowder and a pick.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,517

Post#29 » by zzaj » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:07 am

The steal for me in this trade is the Nets pick. IMO, next year's NETS team could rival some of the worst teams of all time. Their best player is easily D'Angelo Russell. I fully expect that pick to be top 3, and most likely #1.

Isaiah Thomas 29/3/6
Jae Crowder 14/6/2
2018 #1-5 first rounder

is waaaaay too much to give up for

Kyrie Irving 25/3/6

And let's not forget that Kyrie isn't exactly without his injuries. He's missed 111 games across his six seasons--averaging roughly 20 games out per season.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#30 » by PDXKnight » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:36 pm

zzaj wrote:The steal for me in this trade is the Nets pick. IMO, next year's NETS team could rival some of the worst teams of all time. Their best player is easily D'Angelo Russell. I fully expect that pick to be top 3, and most likely #1.

Isaiah Thomas 29/3/6
Jae Crowder 14/6/2
2018 #1-5 first rounder

Kyrie Irving 25/3/6

And let's not forget that Kyrie isn't exactly without his injuries. He's missed 111 games across his six seasons--averaging roughly 20 games out per season.

Yeah at first I didn't hear about the pick being included. Supposedly Boston was worried about IT's knees and of course IT will be up for extension next season so that makes it less in Cleveland's favor than it would be otherwise. At the same time though that picks makes this trade pretty clearly a win for Cleveland assuming the cavs can get a decent player with the pick and resign IT
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#31 » by DusterBuster » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:14 pm

zzaj wrote:The steal for me in this trade is the Nets pick. IMO, next year's NETS team could rival some of the worst teams of all time. Their best player is easily D'Angelo Russell. I fully expect that pick to be top 3, and most likely #1.

Isaiah Thomas 29/3/6
Jae Crowder 14/6/2
2018 #1-5 first rounder

Kyrie Irving 25/3/6

The one argument I heard that makes a bit of sense for giving up that Nets pick is that it may actually not be top 5 next year. While the Nets aren't going to be any good next year, there's going to be a huge glut of garbage teams; Atlanta, Orlando, Indy, Chicago, (probably) New York, Philly will still be trying to figure things out.... and that's just the East; Phoenix, Sacramento and probably some other unknown or disappointing team will emerge.

Granted, I still wouldn't have removed all protection on the pick, but I can see the thinking that the Nets pick may actually end up somewhere in 6-10 range.
Downtown
Head Coach

Post#32 » by Downtown » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:21 pm

From what I read this deal was a while in the making and was hung up on Cleveland wanting Tatum. So I wonder if Ainge caved in with either the Nets pick or Crowder(or both) to get the Cavs off of Tatum?

And from what I saw in summer league I still think Zizic has good value.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,858

Post#33 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:17 pm

I mean, I for one think that the BRK 18, Crowder and Zizic is a nice return for Kyrie. So for CLE to also secure a 30ppg type scorer, even if he can play no defense and may walk, is just a coup.

Irving isn't the answer. He is a #2 and they paid a #1 option package. I loved his fit in MIL because they have Freak to be the undisputed #1 player, but Kyrie as the top dog? That's not a championship caliber team.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,422

Post#34 » by Myth » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:04 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:This is quite possibly the most perfect trade I've ever seen a team make with regards to the Cavs. It literally accomplishes every goal they set out for not just the present, but also the future regardless of if LeBron stays or leaves. Props to them. The Celtics meanwhile.... yikes. Not sure the thinking on that one. Just feels like a massive overpay when Thomas is arguably as good as Kyrie. Seems like they didn't need to give up that Nets pick....

Was watching The Ringer talk about the trade on their Facebook Live feed, one of the hosts threw out the idea of the Cavs trading Love to Portland for Aminu and Harkless.... for whatever that's worth.

Portland would say: you guys sure???

I don't believe for a second Cavs take that. Cavs have plenty of depth, already increased perimeter defense anyway this summer, and if not mistaken they need to actually get LESS guys on their roster, not more.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,422

Post#35 » by Myth » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Downtown wrote:From what I read this deal was a while in the making and was hung up on Cleveland wanting Tatum. So I wonder if Ainge caved in with either the Nets pick or Crowder(or both) to get the Cavs off of Tatum?

And from what I saw in summer league I still think Zizic has good value.

The better alternative if Cavs demanded Tatum is to say "no deal" rather than counter with something that also is not wise for the Celtics (IMO).
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#36 » by DusterBuster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:24 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I do wonder how Kyrie will do without Lebron for why didn't Boston just draft Fultz if they
wanted an elite PG?

Yeah, Kyrie was pretty flawed pre-LeBron, never really seemed to make his teammates better. Once LeBron was there, Kyrie looked better by I'm not sold he really was. They never used Kyrie as a primary distributor, that was LeBron's job and it make Kyrie's skillset a lot more enhanced because he could just basically solely focus on offense. So I'm not really convinced Kyrie is as good as he's talked about in some circles.

As for why Boston didn't just take Fultz, it was a combination of things from what I've read. Fultz had an injury that worried Boston, Ainge had a huge mancrush on Tatum and they were still trying to balance out winning now vs winning in the future.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,403

Post#37 » by Blazinaway » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Downtown
Head Coach

Post#38 » by Downtown » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:16 pm

This will get interesting.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#39 » by PDXKnight » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:59 am

Blazinaway wrote:IT's physical apparently went poorly, Cavs "might" void trade

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247265/Cavs-Considering-Options-Following-Isaiah-Thomas-Physical

They'll just get another pick imo
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#40 » by DusterBuster » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:41 pm

How is it that everything the Cavs do is tainted with drama?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers