ImageImage

OT: 2017 Ducks and Beavers Football Thread

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Re: OT: 2017 Ducks and Beavers Football Thread 

Post#41 » by Norm2953 » Mon Oct 9, 2017 7:18 pm

That situation in Corvallis is a mess. With Mike Riley struggling at Nebraska, could he be making
a return to Corvallis?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#42 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Oct 9, 2017 10:23 pm

Anderson agreed to walk away from 10 million dollars...just left it on the table in order to get out of Corvallis. 3 years was enough, apparently

maybe that says something about Anderson's integrity....maybe it says a lot about the situation at OSU...maybe a little of both

starting over deja vu. Beau Baldwin anyone?
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#43 » by Masterfully » Mon Oct 9, 2017 10:31 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:Anderson agreed to walk away from 10 million dollars...just left it on the table in order to get out of Corvallis. 3 years was enough, apparently

maybe that says something about Anderson's integrity....maybe it says a lot about the situation at OSU...maybe a little of both

starting over deja vu. Beau Baldwin anyone?

Wow, I didn’t know he just left the money. I’ve never heard of a coach doing that.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#44 » by JasonStern » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:42 pm

I know it's a Canzano link, but you can skip his writing and focus on the Andersen quotes:
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2017/10/canzano_gary_andersens_exit_ro.html
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#45 » by PDXKnight » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:00 am

Dang the ducks look like they got hit by a train today
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#46 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:33 am

Oden2 wrote:Dang the ducks look like they got hit by a train today

Stanford is a good team, but any team that can't pass is going to get crushed in the Pac-12.

Burmeister is completely out of his depth.

the worst thing that could have happened to Oregon was to lose Herbert; especially after Jonson and Wilson both transferred in the spring. I think Herbert would have given the Ducks a good shot at beating WSU, especially if the Ducks hadn't been screwed by about 5 bad pass interference calls and non calls. But Herbert wasn't going to lead Oregon to a win at Stanford. That Stanford OLine may be the best in the country outside of Alabama
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#47 » by PDXKnight » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:

Stanford is a good team, but any team that can't pass is going to get crushed in the Pac-12.

the worst thing that could have happened to Oregon was to lose Herbert; especially after Jonson and Wilson both transferred in the spring. I think Herbert would have given the Ducks a good shot at beating WSU, especially if the Ducks hadn't been screwed by about 5 bad pass interference calls and non calls. But Herbert wasn't going to lead Oregon to a win at Stanford. That Stanford OLine may be the best in the country outside of Alabama

Oh yeah it would've been a loss either way yesterday. That being said I wish we had a second string qb who could at least put up 150 yards passing. Second second string qb is quite possibly the second most important position after starting qb especially when your starter goes down so hopefully that freshman they have coming in next year can throw

My way-too early reaction to this game is I'm already wondering how long Willie Taggart lasts as head coach at Oregon. Obviously he'll get a bit of a leash being in transition and taking over an a team that was already struggling and was known to have no backup qbs but I doubt the Oregon fan base gives him 5 years to turn it around.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#48 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Oden2 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

Oh yeah it would've been a loss either way yesterday. That being said I wish we had a second string qb who could at least put up 150 yards passing. Second second string qb is quite possibly the second most important position after starting qb especially when your starter goes down so hopefully that freshman they have coming in next year can throw

too bad they couldn't have brought in Dakota Prukop this year

My way-too early reaction to this game is I'm already wondering how long Willie Taggart lasts as head coach at Oregon. Obviously he'll get a bit of a leash being in transition and taking over an a team that was already struggling and was known to have no backup qbs but I doubt the Oregon fan base gives him 5 years to turn it around.

if he can't turn things around in 5 years, then he should be fired, especially if he's bringing in top-10 recruiting classes

but a 3 year window is a fair timeline. The Ducks were 4-8 last season. That record was earned and it accurately reflected where the Ducks were in relation to their football team peers. They were not a good team and they lacked talent overall and especially lacked talent and depth in some critical position groups. Those were real issues that could not be solved in an off-season; it would be a near miracle if they were solved in two off-seasons.

Taggart inherited a 4-8 team. At Washington, Chris Peterson inherited a 9-4 team that had a 16-10 record the previous two seasons. In Peterson's 1st two seasons, his team went 15-12. It wasn't till his 3rd season that he got the dawgs to a point better then where they were when he took over. And, as I said, with a 9-4 record, he started at a point much better then where Taggart did

and if the Ducks could have kept Herbert and Nelson healthy, I think they would have hit the 8-4 mark, a complete reversal of last season. So, I think Taggart should be given a mulligan for this season
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#49 » by PDXKnight » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:52 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

too bad they couldn't have brought in Dakota Prukop this year

if he can't turn things around in 5 years, then he should be fired, especially if he's bringing in top-10 recruiting classes

but a 3 year window is a fair timeline. The Ducks were 4-8 last season. That record was earned and it accurately reflected where the Ducks were in relation to their football team peers. They were not a good team and they lacked talent overall and especially lacked talent and depth in some critical position groups. Those were real issues that could not be solved in an off-season; it would be a near miracle if they were solved in two off-seasons.

Taggart inherited a 4-8 team. At Washington, Chris Peterson inherited a 9-4 team that had a 16-10 record the previous two seasons. In Peterson's 1st two seasons, his team went 15-12. It wasn't till his 3rd season that he got the dawgs to a point better then where they were when he took over. And, as I said, with a 9-4 record, he started at a point much better then where Taggart did

and if the Ducks could have kept Herbert and Nelson healthy, I think they would have hit the 8-4 mark, a complete reversal of last season. So, I think Taggart should be given a mulligan for this season

Agreed he gets a free pass this season and maybe next season but the heat is on hm in the third season especially with helfrich's contract coming off the books around that time frame
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#50 » by JasonStern » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Oden2 wrote:My way-too early reaction to this game is I'm already wondering how long Willie Taggart lasts as head coach at Oregon.

stop. he inherited a bottom 5 defense and has already won as many games as last year, as well as notch a top 20 recruiting class last season and what could be the program's highest rated recruiting class this season (which includes a 4* recruit at all positions other than maybe tight end). barring some off the field indiscretion occurring, his job is secure for the foreseeable future.

Wizenheimer wrote:and if the Ducks could have kept Herbert and Nelson healthy, I think they would have hit the 8-4 mark, a complete reversal of last season. So, I think Taggart should be given a mulligan for this season

I had them pegged at 7-5. talent, location, and coach effect had them at 8-4. drop one for a new head coach (which is the historical average), and you get 7-5. technically the only games they had no chance in are @ Stanford (as we witnessed) and @ Washington, but everything would have to have gone right to get a 2.5x boost in win totals. while doubling the win total does happen in some head coach's first years, they tend to happen on teams that have the cupboard more stocked with talent than what Taggart inherited.

that said, Arizona has new life. even Oregon State looks much improved after Andersen's resignation. thus it's looking like the UCLA road game might have bowl berth implications. here's hoping Oregon can figure out some semblance of an offense.

I will gripe about this - why did both Burmeister and Alie play? I can't ever think of a situation where swapping QBs midgame helped. I don't care which player gets the nod, but that's the one that needs to be getting as much playing time with the 1s as possible. I have zero confidence that the offense can correct itself if the O-line cadence, timing on receiver routes, etc. are always in flux during practice.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#51 » by PDXKnight » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 am

JasonStern wrote:
Oden2 wrote:My way-too early reaction to this game is I'm already wondering how long Willie Taggart lasts as head coach at Oregon.

stop. he inherited a bottom 5 defense and has already won as many games as last year, as well as notch a top 20 recruiting class last season and what could be the program's highest rated recruiting class this season (which includes a 4* recruit at all positions other than maybe tight end). barring some off the field indiscretion occurring, his job is secure for the foreseeable future.

Hence why I said my "way too early reaction." I don't think taggart should or will be fired right now. That being said I don't think the "foreseeable future" is 5 seasons though he may indeed get 3-4 seasons to show what he can do and they'll go from there imo
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#52 » by monopoman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:59 am

Yeah, I am pretty impressed with the Ducks, they just won't be competitive against any decent to good team until the starting QB is healthy. Hopefully this losing skid doesn't deter any of those that are commuted to switching to another school, I really want to see what this upcoming recruiting class can do.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#53 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:24 am

monopoman wrote:Yeah, I am pretty impressed with the Ducks, they just won't be competitive against any decent to good team until the starting QB is healthy. Hopefully this losing skid doesn't deter any of those that are commuted to switching to another school, I really want to see what this upcoming recruiting class can do.

with this many verbal commits so early in the process, I think you have to anticipate at least a couple of defections. These are 17 & 18 year old kids, and 22 of 23 verbals came before their senior years in high school. So, probably count on a couple of flips away from the Ducks. But there might be some flips to the Ducks as well; in fact, there has already been one in Tyler Shough, the 4 star QB who flipped from North Carolina to Oregon

Oregon is going to be lucky at this point to finish 6-6 and be bowl eligible. So yeah, that might cause some commits to have doubts (even though the Ducks had a good class last season after a 4-8 season). The other side of that is that one, it might make it less likley another program poaches an assistant coach; and two, the Ducks will be able to sell commits on the opportunity for playing time next season

the key is Oregon being able to hold onto Jim Leavitt for at least a couple more seasons. If the Ducks can get their offense back, add some WR's, and combine that with Leavitt's defense, they'll be a long way back toward what they were under Chip
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#54 » by Soulyss » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:17 pm

Norm2953 wrote:That situation in Corvallis is a mess. With Mike Riley struggling at Nebraska, could he be making
a return to Corvallis?

Zero chance that Riley is back for the three-peat.. Although I wouldn't be shocked if he comes back to Corvallis in SOME capacity within the Athletic Dept. They do need someone to help bang the war-drum as they try to raise the money to finish the stadium.
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#55 » by Soulyss » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:18 pm

This was almost a perfect Oregon sports week... Ducks get humiliated, Blazers had a shot at a 3-0 perfect week, and the Beavs didn't lose (Bye week, but i'll take what I can get...)

Damn you Antetokounmpo for ruining a perfect sports week! :lol:
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#56 » by PDXKnight » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:44 pm

Soulyss wrote:This was almost a perfect Oregon sports week... Ducks get humiliated, Blazers had a shot at a 3-0 perfect week, and the Beavs didn't lose (Bye week, but i'll take what I can get...)

Not perfect for me & as a ducks fan I don't consider it a good thing if the beavers lose unless it helps Oregon in some way shape or form
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#57 » by Soulyss » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Oden2 wrote:
Soulyss wrote:This was almost a perfect Oregon sports week... Ducks get humiliated, Blazers had a shot at a 3-0 perfect week, and the Beavs didn't lose (Bye week, but i'll take what I can get...)

Not perfect for me & as a ducks fan I don't consider it a good thing if the beavers lose unless it helps Oregon in some way shape or form

Did you attend UofO?
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#58 » by PDXKnight » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:16 pm

Soulyss wrote:
Oden2 wrote:

Did you attend UofO?

I did & I think almost any uo alum would tell you uw is our biggest rival and it doesn't come close
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#59 » by Soulyss » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:42 pm

Oden2 wrote:
Soulyss wrote:
Oden2 wrote:

Did you attend UofO?

I did & I think almost any uo alum would tell you uw is our biggest rival and it doesn't come close

I also think that UW fans would laught at that and say USC is their biggest rival.. :lol:
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#60 » by PDXKnight » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Soulyss wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
Soulyss wrote:
Did you attend UofO?

I also think that UW fans would laught at that and say USC is their biggest rival.. :lol:

I guess we've talked to different uw fans? I've come across quite a few uw fans who make it a point to call me out on my ducks gear whereas beavs fans might make a comment but it is generally more light-hearted.

Osu is a big rival for uo but with the exception to the few osu fans who are obnoxious the beavs fan base has been very classy from my experience. The 3 times ive watched games in Corvallis fans were, for the most part, quite kind to me with the exception being 1 small run-in with some drunk college kids (in 09? when osu was playing in Corvallis for the rose bowl) which could happen almost anywhere. Uw fans on the other hand tend to make it quite clear we are rivals. There are incidents going back where they spit on ducks fans and while I don't think anything like that goes on anymore it generally feels like uw fans make more of a point to make it known that they hate the uo. I've heard many more comments about wearing ducks gear from uw fans than beavs fans and when a beavs fan says anything it's almost always followed with a light-hearted laugh

Now certainly not all fans follow these classifications but from what I've seen the uw hatred of Oregon is very real. I can't say whether or not USC is a bigger rival to them but it is quite evident to me that the uo-uw rivalry is very mutual and that there is bad blood going back 30 years at least. I'm not trying to minimize the civil war rivalry in the slightest but I know quite a few hardcore fans and alum and every one of them will tell you uw is number 1 on our list of teams we cannot stand with osu coming in at 2. Most ducks fans don't root for the beavs to lose unless they're playing Oregon but even in non-conference games I will almost always root for whoever is playing the huskies. I know quite a few ducks fans (myself included) who were pulling for bama against uw in the cfp last year and those same fans would root for any other PAC 12 team in a big bowl game. Being that osu is an in-state product I would like to see them have some success, just never against the ducks. I know there's a select few osu fans on olive and other sites who make it a point to knock the ducks but with Oregon already feeling like an underdog state to begin with I find it hard to ever root against a team that brings noteriety to this state.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers