RealGM
And1: 7,328

Re: OT: 2017 Ducks and Beavers Football Thread 

Post#61 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:11 am

Soulyss wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
Soulyss wrote:
Did you attend UofO?

I did & I think almost any uo alum would tell you uw is our biggest rival and it doesn't come close

I also think that UW fans would laught at that and say USC is their biggest rival.. :lol:

nope, no laughter at all...I know many UW fans who can't stand that they lost for 12 straight years in football to the Ducks. It became an obsession with that entire fan-base, especially considering that the average margin of victory was around 18-20 points. WSU views UW as their biggest rival while UW feels the same about UofO. And OSU views UofO as their biggest rival while the UofO looks a lot further north then Corvallis

now, those things can evolve over time of course. It used to be Ducks vs Beavers but prior to last season, over the previous 40 years, the Ducks had a 31-9 record in the Civil War. Dominance like that tends to erode the intensity of the rivalry for the dominant team's fans. It's now 31-10, but if Herbert comes back, and with the game at Autzen, odds are good it will be 32-10

on the other hand, the UW will almost certainly win their 2nd in a row in a couple of weeks so maybe their fans' intensity about beating the Duck will wane a little, but I know it's still pretty intense
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#62 » by PDXKnight » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:24 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Soulyss wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
I did & I think almost any uo alum would tell you uw is our biggest rival and it doesn't come close

I also think that UW fans would laught at that and say USC is their biggest rival.. :lol:

nope, no laughter at all...I know many UW fans who can't stand that they lost for 12 straight years in football to the Ducks. It became an obsession with that entire fan-base, especially considering that the average margin of victory was around 18-20 points. WSU views UW as their biggest rival while UW feels the same about UofO. And OSU views UofO as their biggest rival while the UofO looks a lot further north then Corvallis

now, those things can evolve over time of course. It used to be Ducks vs Beavers but prior to last season, over the previous 40 years, the Ducks had a 31-9 record in the Civil War. Dominance like that tends to erode the intensity of the rivalry for the dominant team's fans. It's now 31-10, but if Herbert comes back, and with the game at Autzen, odds are good it will be 32-10

on the other hand, the UW will almost certainly win their 2nd in a row in a couple of weeks so maybe their fans' intensity about beating the Duck will wane a little, but I know it's still pretty intense

Couldn't have said it better myself!
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#63 » by JasonStern » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:05 am

Well, this was an ish night for Oregon sports.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#64 » by PDXKnight » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Hall is looking like a solid coach for an OSU rebuild. What are the odds OSU hires him?
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#65 » by JasonStern » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:30 am

[tweet]
Read on Twitter

[/tweet]

Slightly ahead of schedule, no real recent practice with the 1s, on the road against a defense Oregon's offensive line likely can't stop, against a team they're unlikely to beat, after their backup showed progress, the week before a bye and 2 winnable home games. Why? What am I missing?
- Chauncey Billups
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#66 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:09 pm

JasonStern wrote:Slightly ahead of schedule, no real recent practice with the 1s, on the road against a defense Oregon's offensive line likely can't stop, against a team they're unlikely to beat, after their backup showed progress, the week before a bye and 2 winnable home games. Why? What am I missing?

I think it's probably a case of 'practice-doesn't-shake-the-rust-off-like-a-game-does'. If Herbert is good to go as far as his injury, then let him go. And of course, it hasn't happened yet

yeah, the chances that Oregon wins the game are next to nil (stranger things?), but working Herbert back into the groove with game action, then following with 2 weeks of practice will give the Ducks a better shot at beating both AZ and OSU in the final two weeks; and neither of those games are going to be easy, for different reasons

Burmeister did show some progress. However, he only averaged 3.9 yards/pass which isn't good. The progress came in that he only made one glaring mistake...that fumbled snap/exchange. But he still locked on his 1st progression just about every pass. I was glad to see the Ducks get him on the edge with about 5 roll-out passes. He made 2 or 3 good throws from those. He's still a nervous nellie in the pocket though

as to the OLine, they completely dominated the Utah front-7 (which was the key to the game). Yeah, a couple of blitzes got through, but that was more a case of either Utah calling the perfect play or the Ducks calling the exact wrong play. Anyway, the Duck OLine dominated the Utah front-7 and that front-7 has been compared to UW's front 7 in style and physicallity. Obviously, UW is better, but I sure wouldn't say the Duck OLine won't be able to stop the defense. There is some legitimate reason for hope, even if it's only a little
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#67 » by PDXKnight » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:12 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
JasonStern wrote:Slightly ahead of schedule, no real recent practice with the 1s, on the road against a defense Oregon's offensive line likely can't stop, against a team they're unlikely to beat, after their backup showed progress, the week before a bye and 2 winnable home games. Why? What am I missing?

I think it's probably a case of 'practice-doesn't-shake-the-rust-off-like-a-game-does'. If Herbert is good to go as far as his injury, then let him go. And of course, it hasn't happened yet

yeah, the chances that Oregon wins the game are next to nil (stranger things?), but working Herbert back into the groove with game action, then following with 2 weeks of practice will give the Ducks a better shot at beating both AZ and OSU in the final two weeks; and neither of those games are going to be easy, for different reasons

Burmeister did show some progress. However, he only averaged 3.9 yards/pass which isn't good. The progress came in that he only made one glaring mistake...that fumbled snap/exchange. But he still locked on his 1st progression just about every pass. I was glad to see the Ducks get him on the edge with about 5 roll-out passes. He made 2 or 3 good throws from those. He's still a nervous nellie in the pocket though

as to the OLine, they completely dominated the Utah front-7 (which was the key to the game). Yeah, a couple of blitzes got through, but that was more a case of either Utah calling the perfect play or the Ducks calling the exact wrong play. Anyway, the Duck OLine dominated the Utah front-7 and that front-7 has been compared to UW's front 7 in style and physicallity. Obviously, UW is better, but I sure wouldn't say the Duck OLine won't be able to stop the defense. There is some legitimate reason for hope, even if it's only a little

If Herbert is healthy and the Oline plays like it did I like our chances. This team seems like it's turning a corner on the offensive line and the defense and while Washington will likely win you never know how a game will turn out. It seems like the type of game a team like oregon can come into playing loose knowing there's really nothing to lose. Combine that with the fact that college teams tend to overlook unranked opponents and the fact that uw has looked vulnerable at some points during the season and it seems like winning this game is quite a bit more possible than it might have seemed 2 weeks ago.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#68 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:18 pm

I don't know about that Oden, I'm a big believer in talent and coaching winning college football games. Washington is very well coached and they have better talent then Oregon right now. They also have a lot more experience and don't have any weak position groups
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#69 » by PDXKnight » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:35 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:I don't know about that Oden, I'm a big believer in talent and coaching winning college football games. Washington is very well coached and they have better talent then Oregon right now. They also have a lot more experience and don't have any weak position groups

Probably should've said I like our chances of making the game interesting. Don't get me wrong I still consider UW heavy favorites especially with it being on their home field. Just feels like if Herbert is playing it'll at least be competitive quite possibly. The ducks are Still huge underdogs for sure but it probably goes from being a 21-28 point loss to a 7-14 point loss with Herbert in there.

I'm really hoping we force Browning to throw long passes as supposedly his long ball isn't very strong. I feel like the nickel and dime packages will determine the outcome. I came away impressed with UO's ability to stop Utah in short yardage situations yesterday, something the ducks have not done all year. If (and its a big if) the ducks can come remotely close to that kind of defense in the short yardage situation it'll be interesting.

Honestly I just want a competitive game. Sure a win would be better than anything but I would hate to see UW kick us like they did last season. I lost count of how many times UW ran right up the gut for huge break out runs in that 2016 game. There's nothing quite as bad as facing your biggest rival and giving up 70 uncontested points.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#70 » by Norm2953 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:06 pm

Is there are worries from the Duck fans on this board that Willie Taggert will be a serious candidate
for the job at Florida?
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:19 am

Norm2953 wrote:Is there are worries from the Duck fans on this board that Willie Taggert will be a serious candidate
for the job at Florida?

that will always be a concern but I think it's probably too early for WT to be a serious candidate

Florida may hire an Oregon coach though and that would be Scott Frost. Looks like he is a serious candidate. He took over a 0-12 Central Florida team and in 2 years has them undefeated and ranked 14th in the nation
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#72 » by Norm2953 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:10 am

I'd think Florida would prefer a proven head coach after missing on their last two coaches after
Urban Meyer left. That would seem to preclude both Taggert and Scott Frost but allow them to
think about Chip Kelly or Charlie Strong.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#73 » by JasonStern » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:12 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:

I think it's probably a case of 'practice-doesn't-shake-the-rust-off-like-a-game-does'. If Herbert is good to go as far as his injury, then let him go.

is it? Lossington is tied for 8th in the country in sacks. even with Oregon's offensive line play of late, there's a good probability he's going to get hit. just because doctors say he can play, doesn't necessarily mean that he should.

(although nothing football related would make me happier than a 2016 inspired "Carrington coming back from a suspension right as our injured QB returns" Washington upset).

Norm2953 wrote:Is there are worries from the Duck fans on this board that Willie Taggert will be a serious candidate
for the job at Florida?

no. while Florida is a better job than Oregon, head coaches leaving power 5 jobs after one year is pretty rare, and there are many other candidates that make more sense for Florida to consider (Mullens, Fuente, Campbell, etc.).

Norm2953 wrote:I'd think Florida would prefer a proven head coach after missing on their last two coaches after
Urban Meyer left. That would seem to preclude both Taggert and Scott Frost but allow them to
think about Chip Kelly or Charlie Strong.

if Florida hires Strong, they deserve mediocrity.
- Chauncey Billups
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#74 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:41 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

I think it's probably a case of 'practice-doesn't-shake-the-rust-off-like-a-game-does'. If Herbert is good to go as far as his injury, then let him go.

is it? Lossington is tied for 8th in the country in sacks. even with Oregon's offensive line play of late, there's a good probability he's going to get hit. just because doctors say he can play, doesn't necessarily mean that he should.

if the doctors say he's good to play, and Herbert wants to play, then holding him out because he might get hit is only logical if he retires from football.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#75 » by PDXKnight » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:29 am

for the job at Florida?

No. I just don't see taggart leaving for Florida. While I think he could easily use this as leverage for a pay increase if Florida has interest in him 1) I don't see him being florida's number 1 option and 2) even if he is their number 1 option Florida seems like a school that's a bit above oregons level but not high enough to make the leap worth it unless the gators fork out major money that Oregon is unwilling to pay

Also I think worry is a bad word here. Taggart has done a good job turning Oregon into a likely bowl team but it takes quite a bit more to make a championship level team. While he's certainly earned 2 more seasons at least it's not like we'd be losing an established coach of a championship level team.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#76 » by JasonStern » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:02 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:if the doctors say he's good to play, and Herbert wants to play, then holding him out because he might get hit is only logical if he retires from football.

I get he's a competitor, and it would suck to work so hard to get to play and then not, but he's 4 weeks into an injury with a 4-6 week recovery time. at 5-4 with a bye week immediately after, I'm still not seeing the point in playing him. FWIW:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
- Chauncey Billups
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#77 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:37 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:if the doctors say he's good to play, and Herbert wants to play, then holding him out because he might get hit is only logical if he retires from football.

I get he's a competitor, and it would suck to work so hard to get to play and then not, but he's 4 weeks into an injury with a 4-6 week recovery time. at 5-4 with a bye week immediately after, I'm still not seeing the point in playing him. FWIW:

I know there's a chance he might not play, maybe a good chance.

But considering the sport of football, if the doctors have cleared him to play I don't see any reason to hold him out of the UW game because some fans are worried about how tough or how good the Huskies are. He's going to get hit whenever he returns, and Arizona has a hard-hitting defense too; maybe they should only play him once a year against the beavers
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#78 » by JasonStern » Wed Nov 1, 2017 8:11 pm

Read on Twitter
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM