ImageImage

Game 20: Portland vs Washington 4:00pm SNW

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Re: Game 20: Portland vs Washington 4:00pm SNW 

Post#61 » by zzaj » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:48 am

Heckuva comeback...I'll admit that I didn't think it was gonna happen before CJ hit that 3pter. Nice to get one back after that blatent foot on the line loss last year...

A lot to dislike about the way the first 46.5 minutes of this game was played, but hey...Blazers are able to barely take advantage of a team without their best player, so it's a good day!

One thing I noticed that I liked--Stotts did a better job of getting Nurkic the ball in the mid-post early in the shotclock. That kinda waned as the game went on, but it looked pretty good...with lots of cutting and forcing the Bullets' defense to react.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#62 » by monopoman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:49 am

Oden2 wrote:
monopoman wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Nice win but it does help to play them without John Wall..

Well whatever this team is 3-1 on this 5 game road trip so far, if they can win in NY this will be one of the most successful 5 game road trips the Blazers have had in recent history. The biggest problem the last 2 years was winning on the road, so this is a pretty big moment for the Blazers.

Yeah if we stay close to .500 on the road 50 wins is very possible and if we can somehow manage to go a few games over .500, something like 23-18 or 25-16 we could end up with HCA and at that point anything is possible especially if we get the side of the bracket that doesn't face GS till the wcf

Yeah, right now we are only half a game behind SA for the 3rd spot, obviously we have not had a very hard schedule overall to this point but they haven't completely screwed themselves over with a .500 or less record after 20 games.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#63 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:25 am

so, my plan was to watch the civil war and record the Blazer game on the DVR. That's what I thought I was doing. But hell, there are so many options on comcast, and so many menu selections, and then there's all the stuff with the DVR...anyway, what I managed to do was record the football game I was watching rather then the BB game I wasn't

so it sounds like I missed the first notable comeback of the year for the Blazers. damn

I'll have to go to ESPN play-by-play

one thing I'm noticing from the box score...37 minutes from Connaughton and 31 combined minutes from Harkless/Turner. Pat: 12pts, 4rebs, 3asts, 2stls, 1 blk, 0trns...Harkless/Turner: 6pts, 4rebs, 0asts, 0stls, 0blks, 3trns. The icing on the cake, Connaughton 1.5M...Harkless/Turner 27.3M.... :banghead:
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#64 » by Norm2953 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:44 am

Things will change when Aminu returns for he brings stability and consistentcy which will allow
Stotts to mix and match given the opponent.

I'm liking Vonleh's game for he's giving us a second bigger body next to Nurk, allowing us to play
3 guards.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#65 » by monopoman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:30 am

Does anyone know why Nurkic had a bunch of spots on his left shoulder (Pretty sure it was his left shoulder)?
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#66 » by Case2012 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:31 am

Amazing to see us win the last 2 close games. I found it very interesting that Dame didn't even shoot in the last 2 minutes, completely deferring to CJ and Nurk. CJ is killing it this season on both ends, I wonder when he'll finally get the respect he deserves and makes an all star team.
Instagram: @casetwelve
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#67 » by d-train » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:40 am

Now the Blazers have won 2 games they should have lost. So, we can stop hearing about the games we lost but should have won. Our record (12-8) is our record.
LillardTime
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#68 » by LillardTime » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:54 am

monopoman wrote:Does anyone know why Nurkic had a bunch of spots on his left shoulder (Pretty sure it was his left shoulder)?

He's had some 'cupping' treatment by the looks of things. The bruises look terrible but they won't be painful.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#69 » by zzaj » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:01 am

LillardTime wrote:
monopoman wrote:Does anyone know why Nurkic had a bunch of spots on his left shoulder (Pretty sure it was his left shoulder)?

He's had some 'cupping' treatment by the looks of things. The bruises look terrible but they won't be painful.

Yeah, I get it done every time I get a massage...super helpful in injury recovery. Actually, I'm surprised we don't see more cupping marks on NBA players, given the variety of treatments they get...
baas9
Senior
And1: 13

Post#70 » by baas9 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:11 am

Iron pyrite
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#71 » by Shem » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:12 am

Wizenheimer wrote:so, my plan was to watch the civil war and record the Blazer game on the DVR. That's what I thought I was doing. But hell, there are so many options on comcast, and so many menu selections, and then there's all the stuff with the DVR...anyway, what I managed to do was record the football game I was watching rather then the BB game I wasn't

so it sounds like I missed the first notable comeback of the year for the Blazers. damn

I'll have to go to ESPN play-by-play

one thing I'm noticing from the box score...37 minutes from Connaughton and 31 combined minutes from Harkless/Turner. Pat: 12pts, 4rebs, 3asts, 2stls, 1 blk, 0trns...Harkless/Turner: 6pts, 4rebs, 0asts, 0stls, 0blks, 3trns. The icing on the cake, Connaughton 1.5M...Harkless/Turner 27.3M.... :banghead:

Download the NBC Sports app on your phone or tablet. If you have a Chromecast, you can just cast it to your TV and stream it if you want to see a replay on your own time. Plus you can just start it in the 4th quarter if you just want to see that part where the comeback happens.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#72 » by Shem » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:13 am

I streamed the 2nd half of the game while going out to dinner with family to celebrate my sister's birthday. The server kept asking me the score.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#73 » by Dame Lizard » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:33 am

Awesome comeback for the Blazers. A really disappointing game outside of the final 9 minutes, but it's good getting these sort of wins.

The last 2 games go some way in making those early season 'chokes' (e.g. Milwaukee) forgettable.

Not to sour things, but seeing Jordan Bell get 7 pts/ 6 rbs/ 4 asts/ 6blks/ 2 stls last night is a bit frustrating. Some players are just competitors and know how to win. He was one of them. After Swanigan's initial positive impressions, the initial draft day frustrations that we passed on him are coming back.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#74 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:05 am

Do you see hat happens when you simply get guys who can make open jumpers into your lineup? Opens up the whole offense and stretches the floor. And we have more shooting on the way from Aminu.

Heck of a great win. Great to see us steal games rather than have them get stolen. Dame CJ and Nurk all playing well at the same time great to see yet again.

McCollums been sneaky clutch the past 2 seasons very good clutch time stats. I wish we didn't play Layman over Collins. Seniority I guess.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#75 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:06 am

Bell did that on the worst team in the NBA. He'd be surgically attached to the bench for 2 whole years if we drafted him our defense is good enough tbh.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,887

Post#76 » by JasonStern » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:37 am

RealGM called to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named “Poster of the Year,” like last year, but I would have to agree to miss the Civil War. I said probably is no good and took a pass. Thanks anyway!

Roy The Natural wrote:Harkless is like the new Meyers Leonard, he's incredibly horrific out there. Unwatchable.

honestly expected that more last season after he was guaranteed money. moral of the story for any potential GMs reading is if nobody is outbidding you to retain your players, there's nothing wrong with offering a healthy one year contract to keep them motivated. how much better would the Blazers have been capspace wise had they offered Harkless and Leonard one year maxes instead?

Roy The Natural wrote:This offense is just hot garbage without Lillard... maybe we do need to think about moving CJ at the deadline.

problem is, and has always been, that CJ isn't going to return a player worth trading CJ for.

Epicurus wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:
Epicurus wrote:No problem. On the other hand, I think you are missing some baiting (albeit not as obvious as mine).

Report the post and I'll get to it.
Nah, you have better things to do and I don't mind. In truth, up to some unknowable limit, baiting and other behaviors make for a more interesting forum with greater participation.

no reason to bash on each other when there's over $100 million reasons to bash on Leonard, Turner, and Harkless.

Wizenheimer wrote:one thing I'm noticing from the box score...37 minutes from Connaughton and 31 combined minutes from Harkless/Turner. Pat: 12pts, 4rebs, 3asts, 2stls, 1 blk, 0trns...Harkless/Turner: 6pts, 4rebs, 0asts, 0stls, 0blks, 3trns. The icing on the cake, Connaughton 1.5M...Harkless/Turner 27.3M.... :banghead:

beat me to it. :)

Dame Lizard wrote:Not to sour things, but seeing Jordan Bell get 7 pts/ 6 rbs/ 4 asts/ 6blks/ 2 stls last night is a bit frustrating. Some players are just competitors and know how to win.

I sound like a broken record, but why would a team with Lillard and McCollum entering their prime with 3 first round draft picks, an insanely mismanaged salary cap, and blatant holes in their roster take win-now players over a player that might be able to compete a couple of seasons from now? /sigh

GreenRiddler wrote:our defense is good enough tbh.

I hear this, and half of the time the stats back it up, but it seems like every time that I watch a game, they give up 125 points to a team like the Nets.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#77 » by mojomarc » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Cupping. It is a quack medical treatment that involves heating up small cups and placing them on the skin with the idea that the auction created will suck out toxins. It was really popular at the last summer Olympics.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#78 » by Soulyss » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Epicurus wrote:
Epicurus wrote:Stotts is a genius to rest his top team for a few minutes and have them ready for the finish (again). zzaj, not so much.

First sentence good. Second sentence baiting. My sentence: don't do it.

No problem. On the other hand, I think you are missing some baiting (albeit not as obvious as mine).

Epi would know, he/she is clearly the master baiter... :lol:

Oh come on, someone had to say it.
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#79 » by Soulyss » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Oden2 wrote:
monopoman wrote:The Civil War is usually a snore fest I mean it's been a long time since OSU made a game of it.

I, too, find a year from a win a long time.

Well my guys won just a week ago but I think you guys hit a home run with Beau Baldwin :wink:

Honestly, I would have preferred someone else... Beau is OK, but he runs the same spread crap everyone is is running, and the way OSU needs to compete is to differentiate and not compete for the exact same players everyone else is.
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#80 » by Soulyss » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:20 pm

d-train wrote:Now the Blazers have won 2 games they should have lost. So, we can stop hearing about the games we lost but should have won. Our record (12-8) is our record.

Those sorts of games usually even themselves out over the course of a season, so the close losses I wasn't worried about. The beating from the 76'rs was far more problematic.

12-8 at the 20 game mark projects to somewhere between 48 and 50 wins... If Portland win's 50 this year, I think we will all be pretty happy.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers