Re: *Trade ideas thread* 

Post#601 » by Pdx4life » Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:32 pm

Most boring trade deadline ever....
Khazim
Veteran
And1: 114

Post#602 » by Khazim » Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:36 pm

Pretty par for the course. Still 24 hours too.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." — Frank Zappa
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#603 » by RTG HD » Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:37 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
RTG HD wrote:What about something like Leonard, Vonleh, and a draft pick for Portland native Terrence Ross?

I'd do that. Not sure the Magic would.

Fair enough. I don't have a good feel for what a draft pick is worth right now.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#604 » by red_power » Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:40 pm

Ross is going ti miss a lot more time with a fracture in his knee
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#605 » by DusterBuster » Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:41 pm

RTG HD wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
RTG HD wrote:What about something like Leonard, Vonleh, and a draft pick for Portland native Terrence Ross?

I'd do that. Not sure the Magic would.

Fair enough. I don't have a good feel for what a draft pick is worth right now.

Yeah, to be fair, me either. As far as the value of FRP's, I'm still using Bobby Marks and Woj's estimation for the value of picks being about 14mil in salary cap.

Not only that, I really don't have a good feel for what the Magic are up to either. They have a couple of forwards I wouldn't mind getting in Ross and Simmons, but I have no clue where those guys rank in terms of that teams future plans.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#606 » by d-train » Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:42 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
d-train wrote:Based on the Mirotic trade, all probably have negative trade value. But, that makes them perfect in trade for a better player with negative trade value.

your take on the Mirotic trade is way off

first of all, circumstances of Chicago and Portland are completely different. The Bulls were 6 million under the salary floor before the trade and are still 3.6M under the floor after the trade. And they will start out the off season 25M under the floor. Portland is over the tax right now and is scheduled to be well over the tax next season, unless they let every free agent walk. So, what the two teams would need and want from a trade are different

Chicago will save money this year because of their floor situation...probably around 1.5M

and while Asik is a negative contract, the fact that Chicago is that far under the floor gives him neutral value to the Bulls. They can still buy him out or stretch his contract too. Asik was needed for CBA salary reasons. Tony Allen and Jameer Nelson are on expiring vet minimum contracts. There's already talk of buying out or waiving Nelson

finally, the Bulls don't care about winning this year and likely next year as well. They traded away the player who was leading the team in PER, TS%, winshare/48, and box plus/minus, and that will almost certainly work to improve their draft slot this June. Subtle tank

the only correlation to Portland in that trade is Asik. He has a negative value contract, just like Turner and Meyers. The only difference is Asik only has one year left on his deal while the Portland albatrosses have two. And the Pelicans had to attach a lightly protected 1st round pick to move him

honestly, I do not see how anybody could looke at that Mirotic trade objectively and come to the conclusion that because of that trade, Portland can trade Evan Turner for a better player. It makes little sense

Your 'take' on my 'take' of the Mirotic trade is way off. My analysis of the trade does not cover the motive of the teams for making the trade. My analysis merely measures the value of moving up a dozen or so picks late in the draft and an oversized backup stretch 4. The motive of the teams for trading is not relevant to the value of the players traded. My value analysis is straightforward and easy in this case since the assumptions are that all the players conveyed to the Bulls by the Pelicans have no basketball value and merely represent a cash obligation to pay off their salaries.

I will say I disagree with your analysis of the motives of the teams but I don't know how you can disagree with mine since I have not expressed any such analysis. I do think Blazers can trade Turner if they want to but the Mirotic trade has nothing to do with my belief. And, I disagree that there is a comparison between Asik's contract and the contracts of Turner, Leonard, and Harkless. My understanding is Asik's career might be over while Turner, Leonard, and Harkless have many productive years in the NBA ahead. I think it's likely the Blazers will want to keep those players rather than trade.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#607 » by DusterBuster » Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:44 pm

d-train wrote:My understanding is Asik's career might be over while Turner, Leonard, and Harkless have many productive years in the NBA ahead.

Doesn't Leonard need productive years in the past to suggest he's going to have productive years in the future?
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#608 » by Dame Lizard » Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:49 pm

Lou Williams signed an extension of 3 years worth 8M guaranteed, 8M guaranteed and 1.5M guaranteed (team option last year) respectively over the next three years following this season.

That 17.5M is funnily/sadly enough the same amount that ET earns in a single year. What Olshey was thinking- I'll never know.

At least Turner/Leonard will be tradeable this time next year (without having to give up the entire farm) to a bottom ladder team. Olshey will then have a final opportunity to deliver while Dame and CJ are contracted/not wanting to leave, if not then you'd imagine his time would be up.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,526

Post#609 » by zzaj » Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:55 pm

PTPaQ wrote:CJ + Nurk
for
MGasol + Reke

Makes absolute sense for both teams.

If injuries or contracts weren't a thing, then yes.

Nurkic will probably feel the sting of this year's lack of money in free agency. Probably somewhere in the 10M-15M year range? CJ is locked up. 33 year old Gasol has two more years averaging about 24.5M. Tyreke is incredibly injury prone and also due for a payday...likely in the same ball park as Lou Will, 8M-10M/per.

I'm not sure the difference in 33 year old Gasol vs. 23 year old Nurkic is worth 10M+ a year...and I have no interest in giving a player 10M a year to hang out behind the bench in street clothes. The Blazers already have enough dead weight on their roster in Turner/Meyers/Harkless/Nicholson/Varejao/Ezeli...that's 45M a year worth of dead weight production--nearly half an NBA payroll.
d-train
RealGM

Post#610 » by d-train » Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:59 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
d-train wrote:My understanding is Asik's career might be over while Turner, Leonard, and Harkless have many productive years in the NBA ahead.

Doesn't Leonard need productive years in the past to suggest he's going to have productive years in the future?

I guess you believe rookies are worthless. No, you don't need a full years production to prove value based on potential.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#611 » by DusterBuster » Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:14 pm

d-train wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

I guess you believe rookies are worthless. No, you don't need a full years production to prove value based on potential.

And what potential does Leonard have?
d-train
RealGM

Post#612 » by d-train » Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:27 pm

DusterBuster wrote:And what potential does Leonard have?

He has some decent skills for a player his size. Mainly, he can defend a NBA big man and has enough offensive skills to be a threat while staying out of the way of primary players. There are few players that have this combination of skills. I would rate him as good enough to play rotation minutes on a contender. Of course, he isn't so good that he can get minutes on any team.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#613 » by Waynearchetype » Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:33 pm

Leonard is balling out this year (on extremely extremely small sample size lol)
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#614 » by DusterBuster » Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:37 pm

d-train wrote:

He has some decent skills for a player his size. Mainly, he can defend a NBA big man and has enough offensive skills to be a threat while staying out of the way of primary players. There are few players that have this combination of skills. I would rate him as good enough to play rotation minutes on a contender. Of course, he isn't so good that he can get minutes on any team.

DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#615 » by DusterBuster » Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:38 pm

red_power wrote:Ross is going ti miss a lot more time with a fracture in his knee

Didn't realize ross had such a bad injury.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#616 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:42 pm

PTPaQ wrote:CJ + Nurk
for
MGasol + Reke

Makes absolute sense for both teams.

:lol:

get serious
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#617 » by DusterBuster » Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:52 pm

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2018/02/portland_trail_blazers_brace_for_nba_trade_deadlin.html

A source with knowledge of the Blazers' deadline thinking told The Oregonian/OregonLive that McCollum is not -- and never will be -- going anywhere, even though his name has been attached to rumors involving Kevin Love and the Cleveland Cavaliers. That stance echoes past comments from Olshey, who has labeled his dynamic shooting guard off limits to interested parties.
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#618 » by Masterfully » Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:05 am

DusterBuster wrote:http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2018/02/portland_trail_blazers_brace_for_nba_trade_deadlin.html

A source with knowledge of the Blazers' deadline thinking told The Oregonian/OregonLive that McCollum is not -- and never will be -- going anywhere, even though his name has been attached to rumors involving Kevin Love and the Cleveland Cavaliers. That stance echoes past comments from Olshey, who has labeled his dynamic shooting guard off limits to interested parties.

Yeah this fits the company line. It’s fun to speculate what we could get in return for CJ, but the reality is that Lillard and CJ are in for the long haul.
d-train
RealGM

Post#619 » by d-train » Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:06 am

DusterBuster wrote:
d-train wrote:

I'm not going to spend much time with this since I see no indication your opinion is worth anything. Look up Scott Williams, Luc Longley, and Bill Wennington. Leonard is better than any of these three big men that were rotation players on a championship team. I could name dozens more examples. I like these examples because not only are these players not as good as Leonard, they all have similar skills as Leonard.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#620 » by Goldbum » Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:10 am

Vonleh (don't want to trade him but Swan was drafted as his cheap replacement), + Layman.
Mario Herzonja

Brings in a wing with some upside...
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed

Return to Portland Trail Blazers