ImageImage

Game 21: Portland vs NY Knicks 4:30PM SNW

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Re: Game 21: Portland vs NY Knicks 4:30PM SNW 

Post#101 » by PDXKnight » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:12 am

zzaj wrote:Second game in a row Stotts has trotted out the lineup of Napier/CJ/Turner/Harkless/Davis to start the 4th quarter, with absolutely disasterous results. Let's hope he learned his lesson this time. That lineup doesn't have the talent to set the tone for the 4th quarter on either end of the ball. If Stotts wants to rest his starters for later in the 4th, he should start weaving in the bench after a couple of minutes.

One of those rare games where a good win kinda feels like a loss.

I've come to never expect a good road win. Anything can happen On the road and you very seldom look like what you're capable of in front of a non home crowd
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#102 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:03 am

the Blazers are such a Jekyll & Hyde team. They were a #1 seed the 1st 3 quarters, then had the most lottery balls in the 4th Q.

And sure...go ahead and blame me because at the end of the 3rdQ I spouted off about how good Portland was playing. I knew better then that but my account was hacked by a clown called optimism

who would have thunk that at this point in the season the best SF Portland has is Pat Connaughton?...and that's not a joke....oh wait a minute, I guess for 27 million reasons a year it is a joke... :banghead:
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#103 » by monopoman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:12 am

Wizenheimer wrote:the Blazers are such a Jekyll & Hyde team. They were a #1 seed the 1st 3 quarters, then had the most lottery balls in the 4th Q.

And sure...go ahead and blame me because at the end of the 3rdQ I spouted off about how good Portland was playing. I knew better then that but my account was hacked by a clown called optimism

who would have thunk that at this point in the season the best SF Portland has is Pat Connaughton?...and that's not a joke....oh wait a minute, I guess for 27 million reasons a year it is a joke... :banghead:

When healthy, Aminu is a far better SF for this team...
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#104 » by red_power » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:42 am

The last time Aminu played SF for this team was about 2 years ago.. And that left quite scary memories I should add.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#105 » by d-train » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 am

Wizenheimer wrote:who would have thunk that at this point in the season the best SF Portland has is Pat Connaughton?...and that's not a joke....oh wait a minute, I guess for 27 million reasons a year it is a joke... :banghead:

Do we have a math update on the calamity that awaits us because of luxury taxes? We probably can't resign Connaughton for $2.5M the way he is playing.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#106 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:07 am

Bad decision to put in mr stagnation in the 4th when Noah was fouled out. Still managed to pull it out. Knicks really tried to muddy it up. With Frank Ntil playing tough guy mode. Phil Jackson got the last laugh drafting that guy over Dennis Smith, he is the 2nd coming of Dante Exum useless PG extraordinaire.

I don't wanna hear anyone talk about this backcourt again we have some of the best defense vs top 10 offenses in this league. Once Aminu is back and we can get Harkless' mins down to 0 we be a great offenssive team again too. Dame and CJ should be all-stars if we are a top 4 team in the west.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#107 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:09 am

monopoman wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
Shem wrote:Why is Harkless in the game? He's not doing swat!!!

**** HARKLESS

He's absolutely Meyers Leonard now.... Every single time he touches the ball, it's a disaster.... Even when he's not doing terrible things he just has that Meyers Leonard stink to him, where the team falls apart, stops playing defense, the offense bogs down. He's broken, it's so strange, he shouldn't be this bad.

He still plays defense wayyyy better than Leonard does. I have been pretty impressed with multiple defensive plays by Harkless over this road trip.

Yeah they are the reverse of each other 1 is decent on offense the other is decent on defense and they both suck hard on 1 side of the floor.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#108 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:16 am

Once Aminu is healthy we'll fix that second unit with ET and Harkless at the 3/4. That is just a terrible combination. Almost as bad as Harkless and Vonleh at the 3/4. Either of those combos just can't be on the court at the same time they make it too easy on the defense to sag and too hard on our offense to get movement and space. Aminu solves that problem so easily. Stotts is so desperate not to do it I noticed Layman is getting off the bench before Harkless. LOL that says a lot. I don't wanna lay on a guy playing so poorly but man he is useless and a wrench in our offensive system. We'd be wise to punt him for anything (or nothing like Crabbe). I noticed he wasn't clapping when Pat was making his 3s...Geez I wonder why.

Thank god for Pat and Bazz making it so we don't have to play them more. Their improvement is really a blessing and a timely one at that.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#109 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:19 am

Seriously though I got more than a fair share of helpings for people who said we would never get anywhere with this backourt on defense.

GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#110 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 am

It is nice to see Pat stepping up cause of how it opens our offense tonight Nurk is looking like he use to with the passes being so easy off cuts, easier to cut with 3 shooters on the floor. Harkless' complaints of not being involved due to the big 3 are funny given Pat's point output since he replaced him. At least Pat doesn't think he is playing track.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,520

Post#111 » by zzaj » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:40 am

GreenRiddler wrote:Seriously though I got more than a fair share of helpings for people who said we would never get anywhere with this backourt on defense.

Uhhhh. I'm happy to eat crow because of much of the silly hyperbole that comes out of me on these forums...but I ain't eating any crow for saying the Blazers aren't going to win a championship with a Lillard/CJ backcourt.

The Blazers haven't really gotten anywhere defensively yet. Until it translates to winning multiple games against teams they aren't supposed to beat, I'm still not sold. How many turnovers are the defense of Lillard/CJ producing? I still think it's too small a sample size and things are getting slightly skewed because of rebounding.

The Blazers have gotten a couple wins on this trip from teams without their best player or integral rotation players. The Knicks tonight were obviously out of sorts without their starting Center...who despite being a weak rim protector still averages 13.5/10. I'm not reading too much into this trip. They were good wins.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#112 » by Downtown » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Obviously there's not a lot to complain about at this stage other than a couple stinkers they should have won against Brooklyn and Sacramento( Philly's legit so I can't count that one ). But I'm reserving any judgement until they've played against the big boys. Then we'll see the real level of where this team is at.

I think them having such a soft early schedule is good for them to work some of the bugs out and find that groove where everyone is on the same page. There's been more than a couple games where it seems that not everyone brought their "A" game and were carried by an individual or two to squeak out a win.

Anyone know how much longer Aminu is supposed to be out?
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#113 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:22 pm

d-train wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:who would have thunk that at this point in the season the best SF Portland has is Pat Connaughton?...and that's not a joke....oh wait a minute, I guess for 27 million reasons a year it is a joke... :banghead:

Do we have a math update on the calamity that awaits us because of luxury taxes? We probably can't resign Connaughton for $2.5M the way he is playing.

lol...you're the one who forcefully and with such certainty told everyone here that Portland was going to re-sign every one of their RFA's and also try real hard to re-sign Davis. I simply pointed out that without major changes to the roster, your forecast would leave Portland liable for well in excess of 100M in luxury tax next season...and that nobody really expected that Paul Allen was going to be willing to pay that amount of tax for this team

so then, are you saying that PA would be willing to pay over 100M tax next year for this current team?

(I'll even help you a bit with the answer because it's about 14 months till the trade deadline that would lock in that tax amount)
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,425

Post#114 » by Myth » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:56 pm

Just wanted to post that I was at the game in decent seats last night. It was fun (minus the middle of the 4th quarter when Blazers scared me by sucking). The Knicks crowd may have been the best fans I've come across since leaving Oregon and hitting up several other team's games (LA teams, Phoenix, Atlanta, Brooklyn, Boston).
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#115 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:23 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:I don't wanna hear anyone talk about this backcourt again we have some of the best defense vs top 10 offenses in this league. Once Aminu is back and we can get Harkless' mins down to 0 we be a great offenssive team again too. Dame and CJ should be all-stars if we are a top 4 team in the west.

GreenRiddler wrote:Seriously though I got more than a fair share of helpings for people who said we would never get anywhere with this backourt on defense.

first off...you need to define "anywhere". If the anywhere Portland gets is season after season of 40-50 wins and 1st round exits that's really not something to 'crow' about

as for the rest, well, you may be getting way too far over your skis....as in it's still real early.

Those offensive and defensive ratings can change a lot over the course of a season. Last season, about 20 games in, IIRC, Portland was 2nd in offensive rating but ended up out of the top-10 in 11th. Much depends on the schedule of course, and as mentioned, Portland has had a SOS that ranks dead last in the league to this point. That SOS will change of course; last season, Portland's SOS ended up 9th in the league. The difference between 30th and 9th is certain to change those offensive and defensive ratings quite a bit. Also, only 21 games into the year, two or three real lopsided games can still be able to skew results. I think the Blazers are still getting some skew in their ratings statistically from the first 2 games of the year

and, it's probably worthwhile not to focus too heavily on either one rating or the other. What matters more is net rating...the differential between the two. Last season, Portland's net rating was -0.5. This season, their net rating is +4.6. I forget who it was but one of these analytic's bloggers posted some data about net-rating = won/loss record. It went something like [+/- 1.0 net rating = right about a .500 record (39-43 wins)]. IIRC, a [+/- 5.0 net rating = +/- .500 + 10 wins]. I'm not sure if that makes any sense because of how I've written it. But with a +4.6 net rating, he'd predict about 49-53 wins for Portland, and right now, they are on schedule for 51.

so, you might want to track that differential as the season goes on

as for your assertion that "we have some of the best defense vs top 10 offenses in this league", that's worth examining. So far, of the top-10 offenses, Portland has only played 5 of 21 games against them, and 3 of those games at home (24% of games when you'd expect about 33% of games):

* Indiana in game 2 when they were without Myles Turner and it was only the 2nd games for Oladipo and Sabonis. Portlamd lost 2 at home to LAC and Toronto (by 14), while beating Denver. And they beat Washington on the road when they were without John Wall

so, that's not as impressive as you seem to make it. Now, if you wanted to expand it to the top 15 teams in offensive rating then you could add 2 games against Brooklyn, one of which when they were missing their best player and leading scorer. A home game against the Pelicans when they were missing Anthony Davis. And of course last night against the Knicks when they were missing Enes Kanter

but teams ranking 11-15 in offensive efficiency probably shouldn't be considered top offenses

so again, I think it's premature to congratulate Portland for having a top-3 defense. Certainly the eyeball test says the Blazers are much improved defensively. There's more effort and focus at that end of the court. How much of that is sustainable as the schedule levels out is the bigger question
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#116 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:24 pm

It wasn't people saying we wouldn't win a championship it was that we would never even be passable on defense. No one thought we would be this good on defense but it was funny how it was almost universally thought we couldn't be middling but are now a top defensive team.

It is actually very similar to the Same Wes backcourt that had bad year after bad year only to vault into the top 3-5 for the whole year.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#117 » by d-train » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:47 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
d-train wrote:

lol...you're the one who forcefully and with such certainty told everyone here that Portland was going to re-sign every one of their RFA's and also try real hard to re-sign Davis. I simply pointed out that without major changes to the roster, your forecast would leave Portland liable for well in excess of 100M in luxury tax next season...and that nobody really expected that Paul Allen was going to be willing to pay that amount of tax for this team

so then, are you saying that PA would be willing to pay over 100M tax next year for this current team?

(I'll even help you a bit with the answer because it's about 14 months till the trade deadline that would lock in that tax amount)

The minimum Olshey is going to do is resign our 2018 free agents. There's only 14 roster spots (allowing the open spot Olshey likes to have) and 8 or 9 rotation players. As far as the money goes, the best possible team costs what it costs. If its possible to get better by spending more, Allen will spend more. If Olshey can do better or the same for less money money, naturally he will spend less money.

I find it hilarious that when a player at the end of bench ups his value, that some people can make it into a problem. It's no problem if a guy making $1.5M outplays someone making $10M.

Paul Allen isn't spending money because he thinks its a waste. He believes this team has a chance to mature into a contender with some help from continued roster development. We know this by the transition the team made to being over the cap in 2016. When he stops believing this team can mature into a contender we will know it. In the meantime Allen is not going to change his mind about what he is willing to spend. He's a big boy. He already has thought it through and is committed.

Allen should be encouraged about the improvement of the team since 2016.

Nurkic > Plumlee; Biggie + Collins > Crabbe; the impressive play by Vonleh; the impressive play by Napier and Connaughton

The roster has made impressive improvement since 2016. It hasn't translated into wins, but that's to be expected. We have increased our talent level and the wins will follow. I don't know about reaching contender status. We will see what happens. I don't expect fireworks at the trade deadline. Olshey will be opportunistic. Olshey has no control over opportunities that come outside of internal player development.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#118 » by Shem » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:38 pm

The John Wall-less Wizards went into Minnesota last night and got the win. Portland gains another 1/2 game for the NW Division lead.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#119 » by Shem » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:32 am

4-1 road trip highlights:

April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland