ImageImage

The blow it up thread

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Re: The blow it up thread 

Post#81 » by Epicurus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:34 pm

Norm2953 wrote:All talk of blowing things up start with whether Terry Stotts is going to be our coach moving forward.

We've got to tailor the team if its Stotts to a roster he can coach effectively. The current mis-mash
of talent based on the Dallas system needs shooters followed by length. If its Stotts, the coaching
staff, needs a lot of say on building a roster they can feel comfortable winning with.

I'm all on board on looking into the market for CJ. Our #1 need is a SF for the Stotts system which
we have not had since Batum left.
Good observation, but for what known system is this present squad configured?
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#82 » by Norm2953 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Nobody said anything about being configured for any system.

We've got smaller guards with no length to apply any defensive pressure on the ball. Our best
front court player (Aminu) is likely best suited as a third player on a playoff caliber team and
its really hurt that Mo Harkless has been in a funk and playing like the player he was in
Orlando.

Whether one prescribes to the Larry Brown back up the truck notion of getting rid of guys
or not, these large long term deals on the roster are going to be difficult to move. I think
I'd opt for a plan to restore some cap flexibility which is to take a step back but looking
ahead to 2018, there does not seem to be another Batum out there and there is no way
any team with a top 5 projected pick will trade that pick for CJ. I'd build the team around
Dame/Nurk and build the rest of the roster on guys who will compliment their games
starting on the defensive end.

I'd keep Dame, Nurkic, Aminu, Collins, Vonleh and if possible Davis

We need a solid defensive minded guard who can make an open shot and perhaps a change
of pace guard. We need a SF who can handle the ball, make an open shot with size to
play the bigger SG's and SF's. I think Collins will eventually be fine as a PF compliment to
Nurkic but its going to be 2019 before he's ready. Portland has wanted Harkless to be
that SF but he likely needs to score before he does the other things the team needs and
its not happening with him with Dame/CJ on the roster. Turner is not going to be that SF
for all the reasons we all know.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,168

Post#83 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:54 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I'm all on board on looking into the market for CJ. Our #1 need is a SF for the Stotts system which

We need a SF who is very good at handling the ball and more importantly shooting... which is really more of a bigger SG than a typical SF.

I guess I am not so sure Stotts system really utilizes a prototypical SF.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#84 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:08 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:I'm all on board on looking into the market for CJ. Our #1 need is a SF for the Stotts system which

We need a SF who is very good at handling the ball and more importantly shooting... which is really more of a bigger SG than a typical SF.

I guess I am not so sure Stotts system really utilizes a prototypical SF.

youre speaking about present, but theres guy just like that on the next draft
Dzanan Musa (18), ball handler and scorer... sucks at defense and is very skinny, but that will be done when he comes to the NBA

Dzanan has winning mentality, extreme confidence and competitiveness
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#85 » by Norm2953 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:15 pm

When we had Batum, we had high usage players in Dame/LA and Wes Matthews ot his shots.

Nic viewed his role in Portland as a faciliator and had the size to play 1-4 on defense.

With Dame/CJ and Nurkic, there really is no shots for the other guys on the floor. Coupled
with Turner's ball stopping offensive game, anyone else on the floor are standing around.

A while back, someone proposed a Nurkic/Turner trade for DeAndre Jordan. Interesting
proposal for DAJ is never going to be a high usage player and has the defensive instincts
to cover up for Dame/CJ.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#86 » by PDXKnight » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Norm2953 wrote:When we had Batum, we had high usage players in Dame/LA and Wes Matthews ot his shots.

Nic viewed his role in Portland as a faciliator and had the size to play 1-4 on defense.

With Dame/CJ and Nurkic, there really is no shots for the other guys on the floor. Coupled
with Turner's ball stopping offensive game, anyone else on the floor are standing around.

A while back, someone proposed a Nurkic/Turner trade for DeAndre Jordan. Interesting
proposal for DAJ is never going to be a high usage player and has the defensive instincts
to cover up for Dame/CJ.

I like dj but I don't want to pay him max money. Heck I'm 50/50 on whether I'd want to pay Nurk max money at this point but at least he has more upside
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#87 » by HoopsMalone » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:20 am

I really think mccollum is the guy to move. He's way overpaid but because he's a scorer someone will be fooled.

I think you've got Turner on such an immovable deal though I dont see the point in blowing it up. I'd keep trying to get better.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,839

Post#88 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:15 am

Maybe something like see if Atlanta would trade Collins, Prince, Bazemore plus like a top three protected first (with it relaying next year) for CJ. I dunno. It seems like too much but then CJ as runner of his own team does have star potential, especially in the east. I just don't know.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#89 » by Roy The Natural » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:26 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:Maybe something like see if Atlanta would trade Collins, Prince, Bazemore plus like a top three protected first (with it relaying next year) for CJ. I dunno. It seems like too much but then CJ as runner of his own team does have star potential, especially in the east. I just don't know.

No way Atlanta even thinks about that. Maybe Prince/Bazemore and a pick swap works... but I can't imagine they give up much more than that.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,256

Post#90 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:52 am

Prince on a rookie deal and playing a lot of minutes.

Doubt they'd give him up.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,905

Post#91 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:47 pm

ATL seems to be in full rebuild mode. I don't see them making that deal.

If DET doesn't anticipate affording to resign Avery Bradley, I wonder if there is any CJ oriented deal that could return both Avery and Tobias Harris. I doubt it, but this lineup is pretty exciting:

PG - Damian Lillard
SG - Avery Bradley
SF - Tobias Harris
PF - Zach Collins
C - Jusuf Nurkic
the7boss
Pro Prospect
And1: 553

Post#92 » by the7boss » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:38 pm

Would you guys be interested in any combination of expirings and young players from LA, KCP/Lopez plus Clarkson/Nance/Randle/Zubac for CJ?

I'm sure Clarkson and Randle can have an Oladipo-like explosion in the right environment.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,819

Post#93 » by Fitz303 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:48 pm

the7boss wrote:Would you guys be interested in any combination of expirings and young players from LA, KCP/Lopez plus Clarkson/Nance/Randle/Zubac for CJ?

I'm sure Clarkson and Randle can have an Oladipo-like explosion in the right environment.

No way. CJ is in a serious slump, but is still putting up 21ppg on 45% and 44% 3pt. That's all while having a horrible slump right now. He's also locked up for 4 years still. CJ wouldn't be going to LA for anything less than Ingram (maybe take on Deng for the trouble). Not saying LA would do that, however, CJ would probably look a lot more enticing for Paul George than a 21 year old kid that plays the same position as him. Anyways... Yeah CJ isn't being traded for bit pieces.
przem885
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#94 » by przem885 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Clarkson + Randle for CJ that would be a great move for us. Both of them could play even better in a better environment. Jordan could easy play on CJ level this year +-20 ppg and Randle with 30 min ppg: 15/10/2 easy. Sign with Batum or trade our trash (Harkless, Meyers, Ed, Vonleh) for someone like Prince, Crowder would be awesome

PG: Lillard, Napier
SG: Clarkson, Pat, Turner
SF: Batum, Aminu
PF: Randle, Swanigan
C: Nurkic, Collins
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#95 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 pm

the7boss wrote:Would you guys be interested in any combination of expirings and young players from LA, KCP/Lopez plus Clarkson/Nance/Randle/Zubac for CJ?

well, you didn't mention Ingram & Kuzma as available so I doubt there's any Portland interest. And no, I wouldn't expect LA to include Ingram & Kuzma, but without somebody with an upside like them I don't think Portland would have any interest
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#96 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Clarkson + Randle for CJ that would be a great move for us.

:noway:
the7boss
Pro Prospect
And1: 553

Post#97 » by the7boss » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:45 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:

well, you didn't mention Ingram & Kuzma as available so I doubt there's any Portland interest. And no, I wouldn't expect LA to include Ingram & Kuzma, but without somebody with an upside like them I don't think Portland would have any interest

Ingram is out of the question, 20yr old who is making a huge leap this year, averaging the last 10 games almost 20-6 on good efficiency, if you watch him play now, he is starting to learn how to use his length at the rim and is scoring relentlessly. That's superstar potential, you don't trade that for a borderline AllStar in McCollum.

On the other hand, I would let Kuzma go in the right deal, even though he is great, a natural scorer in so many ways in his rookie year, solid rebounder... but we have a logjam at the PF position with Randle, Nance and Kuzma. I don't know how the Lakers management feel about him, but I think the only untouchables for them are Zo and Ingram.

As for Randle and Clarkson, take a look at a Lakers game, they are the reason we are getting some wins, they are coming off the bench and playing much more poised and mature, both have potential. Take into account they have developed in a tanking team for their first few years, if you insert them in the right situation with a good coach, they could blossom. I wouldn't mind keeping them for the long run, JC's contract is Ok and we'll see how much Randle will command this summer.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#98 » by PDX MM » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:30 pm

I would rather just get draft picks than Clarkson and/or Randle.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#99 » by PDXKnight » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Yeah these guys don't move the needle for me. randle is of some interest to me but none of these players come close to Cj imho

For me any Cj to la discussion must be centered around kuzma. Cj is a boarderline all star and kuzma is the only guy on that roster who really comes close for me besides Ingram
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#100 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:57 pm

I would rather just get draft picks than Clarkson and/or Randle.

I have no interest in Randle. I dislike his playing style, don't think we need him and the fact he is expiring just ices the 'me no want' cake.

Clarkson is a guy that I have a liking to. He would be a great 3rd guard, especially if we found a 3/D type starting SG to compliment Lillard. His instant offense is something we lack and he has a 'good enough' 3PT shot.

Thing is, he isn't nearly good enough to trade for CJ. If LAL wants to attract a bit of star power, I would do something like:

CJ McCollum, Ed Davis for Jordan Clarkson, Kyle Kuzma, Luol Deng, Ivica Zubac

The deal gets LAL a excellent scorer who will help attract other top tier FA, and also clears enough for 2 max guys with Ed Davis expiring and Deng heading out. PDX gets a reliable 6th man and a kid in Kuzam that looks like a stud. Deng is dead weight.

Try to flip assets (Lets say Vonleh, Connaughton, R2) with ET and Harkless to ATL for Kent Bazemore as a 3/D SG and cap space.

PG - Damian Lillard / Shabazz Napier
SG - Kent Bazemore / Jordan Clarkson
SF - Kyle Kuzma / All-Fariq Aminu / Luol Deng
PF - Zach Collins / Al-Fariq Aminu / Caleb Swanigan
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Ivica Zubac / Myers Leonard

IDK, just spitballing.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers