ImageImage

Game 26: Portland vs Golden State 7:30pm SNW

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Game 26: Portland vs Golden State 7:30pm SNW 

Post#101 » by d-train » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:40 pm

baas9 wrote:What we are missing is a Kevin Durant or James Harden or Lebron James caliber of player. The NBA has far less to do with coaching than it does with superstars. We don't have a superstar. And if you think we will get a superstar through Free Agency or a trade (considering the average talent we have) you are delusional.

Rockets got Harden by trade. Cavs and Warriors got LeBron and Durant via free agency. Players like LeBron come into the NBA once every 15-20 years. Blazers were willing and able to sign LeBron 3 times and could have signed Durant 1 time. LeBron is a special case because he is so good he doesn't need to worry about his team having opportunities to build a successful team. But, mortal superstars like Durant and the rest, pick their destination based on opportunity (after the money is there). LA left Portland for a better opportunity. Every superstar free agent we couldn't get in the 3 years we had cap room signed with a team that offered a better opportunity than the Blazers did.

Lets pretend that Blazers are stupid and tank waiting for the next LeBron James and after 15 years of the worst record in the NBA we are lucky enough that a generational superstar is in the draft. What do we get, a 25-30% chance of getting the pick? Let's pretend lightning strikes twice in the same year and we get the pick. What do we do if our generational superstar isn't just a good basketball player but also an intelligent person? What if our 'LeBron James' says I'm not going to play for the worst basketball organization in the NBA? We can draft him but nobody can make him sign a contract he is unwilling to sign. Players like LeBron can get a shoe contract (and other endorsements) that pays him while he uses his leverage to force almost any situation he wants.

We have a better chance of building a contender the way other contenders did it. We need to create and make the most of our opportunities.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#102 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:40 pm

I too think its time to explore CJ trades. Ideally we could pair CJ and Evan Turner together to improve our long-term payroll.

Great to see Zach contribute. I think he should have been starting from day one. Easily the most talented big on the roster outside Nurkic.
d-train
RealGM

Post#103 » by d-train » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 pm

Why does anyone think a lower payroll will help our team win games?
d-train
RealGM

Post#104 » by d-train » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:09 pm

The next time we need to build a team starting from nothing we won't need cap room until we have good players on rookie contracts. It will take years in the lottery before we get those good players on rookie contracts. By the time we get those good players on rookie contracts (if we can get them, checkout the Lakers), we will have tons of cap room. And, the cap room will do us no good unless there is a superstar free agent and we can convince that superstar that our good underpaid players are better than the other teams offering him a max contract. And, chances are the best opportunity for said free agent will be to stay on his current team.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#105 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:43 pm

d-train wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
d-train wrote: This team shoots as well as the Dallas team that won a championship but doesn't have the playmaking of Kidd, Terry, and Barea.

* that Dallas team was 5th in the league in FG%; Portland is 26th

* that Dallas team was 1st in the NBA in 2ptFG%; Portland is 29th

* that Dallas team was 3rd in the league in eFG%; Portland is 25th

* it's only in 3ptFG% that Portland has an advantage, 6th vs 11th

so no, Portland does not shoot as well and it's not really close

you are right about the playmaking though:

* that Dallas team was 2nd in the NBA in assists; Portland is 30th

Were you trying to buttress my point because I think you did. Blazers are a good shooting team that doesn't get any easy shots. The Mavericks won a championship not because they were a good 3pt shooting team but because they had good playmaking that got them easy shots and they played defense. There 2pt FG shooting success was because of playmaking. They didn't have anyone that could get easy baskets off their own skill on that team.

only you would see that as "buttressing" your point. That Dallas team shot much better then Portland, whether it's this year's version or last year's version. To try and claim that Portland shoots as well as a team that won a title is loopy

and yes, I know your argument is that Portland doesn't shoot as well as they could or should because they don't get easy baskets; that if only they got more easy baskets they'd shoot better. Sure, that seems to be a logical equation. The only problem is the implication that these Portland players could get from where they are to where you think they should be if only they were better play-makers. They aren't going to be better; Dame-CJ-Turner entered the season with 16 years of combined experience in the NBA and 11 years combined in college. They are what they are. And of course, we don't even need to go further with the narrative because even if Portland shot better, they wouldn't be anywhere close to being on par with that Dallas team

actually, it's kind of layers or irony because at the heart of your argument is the clear message that Portland needs to remodel the roster; that they need to trade core players because some of those core players are using too many possessions for their own offense and are incapable of initiating enough offense for teammates. And of course, even if they were better play-makers it's pretty obvious those teammates won't be shooting the ball like the 2010-11 Dallas Mavericks

in other words, you're saying it's a very flawed roster. But you also come into any discussion about trading core and rotation players opposing the idea of trading them by saying a particular player isn't the problem or that Portland couldn't get a sufficient return for a player. You think the Crabbe trade was a great trade showing Olshey's genius because it made Portland better, even though Crabbe's one strength was shooting and Portland is a worse shooting team after the trade while carrying a 2,85 million debit for the next 7 years. You say Portland needs better playmaking but your boy Olshey has refused to get a competent backup PG for three years now because he believes CJ is that competent backup PG and it's apparent to everybody he's not.

yep...irony. You essentially agree that the roster is a dysfunctional mess of mismatched parts and flawed players with generally low level talent and high salaries. But you won't hold the architect of that mess accountable for any of it
baas9
Senior
And1: 13

Post#106 » by baas9 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:56 pm

It’s as much about entertainment as anything. I think a rebuild could be exciting and doesn’t automatically mean we suck for many years.

I happen to completely disagree with you on almost every point you made d-train and I’m getting bored of watching a mediocre team on the way to nowhere with no prospects of significant improvement. I don’t see the evidence you have suggested for other teams building a contender either. Which teams and how? Did these teams give up fringe role players for superstars? I’m not seeing it.

It’s a superstar driven league and Portland has never been a superstar destination for Free Agents or trades. Also you suggest that a drafted player may refuse to sign for us but you neglect to mention the much higher probability of players refusing trades to us.

The Spurs are the only non-superstar exception I can think of and they had a great balance of very good players that they acquired mostly through the draft. Almost every other champion has had at least one legit superstar. We have zero.

If you think this team will magically become a contender without giving up any key players I think you are not being realistic about what other teams would be willing to do. And if you think we will be able to find the missing pieces before our best players are past their primes, I don’t see how.

I’ve seen you shooting down other poster’s ideas for rebuilding and suggesting they would be stupid to do such and such, but I’m not seeing you suggest many alternatives. Many people manage to disagree without disparaging one another. I think that allows for a much more productive conversation.
baas9
Senior
And1: 13

Post#107 » by baas9 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
actually, it's kind of layers or irony because at the heart of your argument is the clear message that Portland needs to remodel the roster; that they need to trade core players because some of those core players are using too many possessions for their own offense and are incapable of initiating enough offense for teammates. And of course, even if they were better play-makers it's pretty obvious those teammates won't be shooting the ball like the 2010-11 Dallas Mavericks

in other words, you're saying it's a very flawed roster. But you also come into any discussion about trading core and rotation players opposing the idea of trading them by saying a particular player isn't the problem or that Portland couldn't get a sufficient return for a player. You think the Crabbe trade was a great trade showing Olshey's genius because it made Portland better, even though Crabbe's one strength was shooting and Portland is a worse shooting team after the trade while carrying a 2,85 million debit for the next 7 years. You say Portland needs better playmaking but your boy Olshey has refused to get a competent backup PG for three years now because he believes CJ is that competent backup PG and it's apparent to everybody he's not.

yep...irony. You essentially agree that the roster is a dysfunctional mess of mismatched parts and flawed players with generally low level talent and high salaries. But you won't hold the architect of that mess accountable for any of it

Ok good... I thought I was going crazy thinking I was the only one noticing this cognitive dissonance. Thank you for validating my sanity Wiz. :clap:
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#108 » by Epicurus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:24 pm

I am perplexed as to why Vonleh's playing time has gone down. Last night he gathered nearly 35% of all available rebounds, over 25% of Blazer misses. If your shooters are going to shoot less than 50% (efg), then you better have your best rebounder in the game. Vonleh's rebounds are largely not like the ones Aldridge got. They are largely contested rebounds. Plus the guy is shooting over .500 and is not turning the ball over. All this burn for Collins, who obviously has improved from the start of the season, while ignoring another young guy who contributes well when playing.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#109 » by Blazinaway » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:34 pm

baas9 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

Ok good... I thought I was going crazy thinking I was the only one noticing this cognitive dissonance. Thank you for validating my sanity Wiz. :clap:

add my clapping hands
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#110 » by Blazinaway » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:42 pm

Epicurus wrote:I am perplexed as to why Vonleh's playing time has gone down. Last night he gathered nearly 35% of all available rebounds, over 25% of Blazer misses. If your shooters are going to shoot less than 50% (efg), then you better have your best rebounder in the game. Vonleh's rebounds are largely not like the ones Aldridge got. They are largely contested rebounds. Plus the guy is shooting over .500 and is not turning the ball over. All this burn for Collins, who obviously has improved from the start of the season, while ignoring another young guy who contributes well when playing.

The Trifecta: Dysfunctional team, coach, and GM. Is Neil capable of trading "his guy" CJ?
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#111 » by Epicurus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 pm

One can be very functional, but it will not show as part of a triad where the other two are dysfunctional.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers