2018 Trade Deadline Rumors

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

7-12-52
Senior
And1: 392

Re: 2018 Trade Deadline Rumors 

Post#381 » by 7-12-52 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:32 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Wickzki wrote:Milovan Rakovic is 32 years old and is NEVER coming to the NBA.

We paid Chicago to get us under the tax line and got NOTHING in return.

**** off Olshey.

This isn't nothing. Because the Blazers are under the tax, they aren't subject to the repeater and they can go over the tax this summer if they want. And who cares if the Paul Allen threw in some cash?

We just paid cash to dump the 22 year old we got in return for trading Batum. Why the heck is Olshey still here?
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#382 » by Ripcity4life » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:34 pm

FIRE OLSHEY -- NOW -- and he can take Myers with him
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#383 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:34 pm

We paid Chicago to get us under the tax line and got NOTHING in return.

**** off Olshey.

by rule, Chicago had to send something. This way, they don't have to send out a top-59 protected 2nd. Bulls did very well in that trade because they were under the salary floor about the same amount of Vonleh's salary. This trade saves them a few million dollars
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#384 » by PDXKnight » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:36 pm

Don't mind the trade. Noah was gone anyways
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#385 » by Blazinaway » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:37 pm

Oden2 wrote:Don't mind the trade. Noah was gone anyways

that was necessary thx to that magic Olshey "summer of 16"
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#386 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:37 pm

Someone show Neil the damn door
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

Playr2BNamdLatr
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#387 » by Playr2BNamdLatr » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:39 pm

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our Attitudes."
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#388 » by DusterBuster » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:41 pm

Playr2BNamdLatr wrote:"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our Attitudes."

Solid post. Considering the attitude / b-fest that's going on here and that the deadline seems to be over, I'm probably done with the Blazer Board for the day.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#389 » by Downtown » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:41 pm

Playr2BNamdLatr wrote:"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our Attitudes."

Tony Robbins?
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#390 » by JasonStern » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:43 pm

zzaj wrote:On a side note, we (mostly me) had a debate last year about the Cavs switching picks with the Blazers. My argument was that the Blazers should have kept the 2018 pick because you never know what can happen in the NBA. Well, with IT playing poorly and things souring quickly in Cavs land, things were going along fairly nicely for that argument until today's trades. I expect the Cavs pick (which was swapped today, no?) to now be higher than what the Blazers got last year.

2017 was a deep draft. I'm fine with Portland making the swap, and was more disappointed that the Blazers didn't use all three picks.

bummer. was really hoping Raković would chase Ha around the practice facility with a broomstick.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Playr2BNamdLatr
Ballboy

Post#391 » by Playr2BNamdLatr » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:46 pm

DusterBuster wrote:

Solid post. Considering the attitude / b-fest that's going on here and that the deadline seems to be over, I'm probably done with the Blazer Board for the day.

Yeah, I used to love to read this board :lol: Now I am going to start posting and interject some more negativity.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#392 » by zzaj » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:47 pm

I'm not sure what some here were expecting...

I thought it was quite clear that Olshey's ability to make any serious moves at this deadline were handcuffed by his own stupidity in 2016. I mean, we went over dozens of trade scenarios with a fine-toothed comb that included every player on the roster and not a single one made sense for both teams...

In hindsight, not signing Turner or Meyers would have allowed the Blazers to have the capspace to be players this offseason.

EDIT: Olshey did what he had to do today. Which is a good trade for both teams, longterm. Yes, Batum for Hendo minus the cash it took to get rid of Vonleh was a bad trade. But there were a lot of variables back then just as there are now. If you start looking seriously down those multi-year type of rabbit holes things always get ugly for any team.
Downtown
Head Coach

Post#393 » by Downtown » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:47 pm

DusterBuster wrote:

I wouldn't get upset about it. I've been on this site since 2001 and nothing has changed. Fans all over get worked up over trades, big or small and knee jerk reactions are pretty standard. In a couple of days things settle down, what was overly high expectations are offset with a dose of reality, and we move on.

It's not what I was hoping for either but like yourself I didn't really expect anything more. It's as predictable as can be. In my glass half full view I'm glad it didn't cost a second round pick to move Vonleh.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#394 » by red_power » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:50 pm

Ripcity4life wrote:FIRE OLSHEY -- NOW -- and he can take Myers with him

Cmon man, this guy had a place next to Meyer$ in blazers rotation and moreover he's going to be FA this summer.
There was zero reason to expect Olshey getting any significant value for him in return.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#395 » by DusterBuster » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:51 pm

Downtown wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

I wouldn't get upset about it. I've been on this site since 2001 and nothing has changed. Fans all over get worked up over trades, big or small and knee jerk reactions are pretty standard. In a couple of days things settle down, what was overly high expectations are offset with a dose of reality, and we move on.

It's not what I was hoping for either but like yourself I didn't really expect anything more. It's as predictable as can be. In my glass half full view I'm glad it didn't cost a second round pick to move Vonleh.

Oh trust me, I remember all too well how overboard fans go at the deadline and at the draft when things don't go the way they expect. Not upset about it, just don't see the need to be around here if all people are going to do is throw a b****fest over a trade and complain endlessly about 2016 for the rest of the day instead of actually looking towards the future.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Playr2BNamdLatr
Ballboy

Post#396 » by Playr2BNamdLatr » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:52 pm

Downtown wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

No the trade wont help this season or it possibly might not help at all but it gives us more options for the summer then we would have had. I am in the minority though regarding the handing out of huge contracts in summers past. I agreed with the logic...it just literally has not worked at all but I believe it was the right move.
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#397 » by Ripcity4life » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:53 pm

The sad truth is this -- the Blazers HAVE to trade either Dame or CJ if they want to get better but 1st

Fire Olshey and get a GM who has evolved and maybe a new coach not that Stotts is bad but maybe he has done as much as he can with this team and time to move on.

The Trade one of them package Myers or Evan With them and get assets -- i know it is not simple but the hole Olshey has put this team in is the ONLY way out of it.

IF one of them is not traded this summer and i hope i am wrong but in 3 years neither will be here as both with be fed up with how things have been run.
7-12-52
Senior
And1: 392

Post#398 » by 7-12-52 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:56 pm

red_power wrote:
Ripcity4life wrote:FIRE OLSHEY -- NOW -- and he can take Myers with him

Cmon man, this guy had a place next to Meyer$ in blazers rotation and moreover he's going to be FA this summer.
There was zero reason to expect Olshey getting any significant value for him in return.

The point is we dumped one of the youngest guys on our team because of other mistakes Olshey has made. If Olshey was a decent gm maybe he would trade something before it hits absolute rock bottom value. I mean we pretty much went below rock bottom on this one, Chi knew we needed to dump Vonleh to get under the tax so they made us pay them to take a flyer on a 22 year old.
Downtown
Head Coach

Post#399 » by Downtown » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:58 pm

On another topic I read where teams have been looking for buyouts to add to the roster at cheap prices. Portland has an opening or two now and perhaps can play that game.

How far under the tax are they now? I guess Swanigan is here for the duration of the season and can get the few minutes Vonleh saw. Or even a cheap G leaguer has a chance. I'm not suggesting in any manner that this is a great strategy but I'm just interested in who might come aboard.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#400 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Feb 8, 2018 8:08 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Downtown wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Oh trust me, I remember all too well how overboard fans go at the deadline and at the draft when things don't go the way they expect. Not upset about it, just don't see the need to be around here if all people are going to do is throw a b****fest over a trade and complain endlessly about 2016 for the rest of the day instead of actually looking towards the future.

They're pretty justified in doing so though. The further we get into this mess, the more we realize how truly pathetic the front office's vision for this team is.... in that they absolutely have no vision. The team is rudderless, it's poorly coached, poorly put together, and there's no breakup in sight.

I guess I'll continue to watch less and less games. This team is my least favorite incarnation of the Blazers since the Jailblazer era. I'd honestly prefer the Felton Blazers, at least that team was a bunch of mercenaries on one year deals that you could get out from under, with a clear indication that tanking and a fire sale was the plan. This misguided, disgusting mess just keeps going. Am I really supposed to finish out this season watching a team that gets it's ass pounded by pretty much every halfway decent team, than beats up on powderpuffs, all while playing selfish iso-ball and halfassing effort in pretty much half their games? Ehhh... I'm not sure there's much reason to continue watching, thank god I don't pay for NBA League Pass.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers