ImageImage

Game 53: Portland vs Boston 9:00am Sunday SNW

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Re: Game 53: Portland vs Boston 9:00am Sunday SNW 

Post#41 » by Epicurus » Sun Feb 4, 2018 7:33 pm

3rd quarter saw a regression for Nurkic and others regarding makeable shots. Of course, to some that is a function, I guess, of coaching. The Celtics worked to keep Lillard under control, mostly trailing two mans, but it more or less backfired when the others, mostly Nurkic, made the makeable shots (and with Harkless choosing to be a contributor this game), in the first half.
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#42 » by bigdavid » Sun Feb 4, 2018 7:33 pm

Harkless had a good offensive game, but 0 assists that's a problem.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,399

Post#43 » by magee » Sun Feb 4, 2018 7:35 pm

Seems like Harkless needs to get inserted back into the starting line-up for Turner.
Napoleon7
Senior
And1: 73

Post#44 » by Napoleon7 » Sun Feb 4, 2018 7:35 pm

Shem wrote:Nurk misses a layup that could have put the Blazers up by 8. That miss leads to a transition 3. CJ throw up a brick that leads to another transition 3. What could have been an 8 point lead with time to set their defense is now a tie game. Nurk's missed bunny shots are killers... :banghead:

The Nurkic miss was the turning point of this game. Plus some referee bias afterward sealed the outcome.

I hope this wakes up the front office to make a major move. Treadmill is getting old and tired.

N7

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#45 » by Epicurus » Sun Feb 4, 2018 7:35 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:I see no reason to play Nurkic over Ed Davis right now.... Every game that goes by I get more over his terrible decision making and soft play.
Does this mean, Coach, that Davis should play the full 48? Or did you mean as "starter?" Given Nurkic's excellent performance in the first half, your suggestion would be for this game coaching malpractice.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#46 » by DusterBuster » Sun Feb 4, 2018 7:37 pm

This is one of those games the Blazers are really gonna kick themselves for letting slip away. Dame had a uncharacteristically bad shooting night, I take solace in that not happening a lot. I also hope this game is finally the one where Stotts rids Turner of his starting role and puts Harkless back in at SF.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#47 » by DusterBuster » Sun Feb 4, 2018 7:37 pm

bigdavid wrote:Harkless had a good offensive game, but 0 assists that's a problem.

Not really. Harkless isn't there to be an assist man. He's typical a guy to do all the little dirty work with rebounding and defending.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#48 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Feb 4, 2018 7:41 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
bigdavid wrote:Harkless had a good offensive game, but 0 assists that's a problem.

Not really. Harkless isn't there to be an assist man. He's typical a guy to do all the little dirty work with rebounding and defending.

bigdavid is a huge Turner fan so I'm guessing he thinks Turner's overrated play-making skill trumps the things that Harkless does better than Turner, which is everything else
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#49 » by Shem » Sun Feb 4, 2018 7:43 pm

Harkless isn't out there to be a point guard. :rolleyes:
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#50 » by Roy The Natural » Sun Feb 4, 2018 7:46 pm

Epicurus wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:I see no reason to play Nurkic over Ed Davis right now.... Every game that goes by I get more over his terrible decision making and soft play.
Does this mean, Coach, that Davis should play the full 48? Or did you mean as "starter?" Given Nurkic's excellent performance in the first half, your suggestion would be for this game coaching malpractice.

It meant at that exact moment in time, smartass. Nurkic was horrendous for the entirety of the second half, Davis was massively outplaying him.. Davis should've been put back in before Nurkic went full (Please Use More Appropriate Word) with like 3 straight fouls and lazy play.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#51 » by Epicurus » Sun Feb 4, 2018 7:52 pm

Telling the future is difficult, especially with Nurkic who had a great first half, seemingly a need to repeat, on top of a good performance in the previous game. Yes, I really should never respond to your in-game emotional laden remarks. My bad.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#52 » by Roy The Natural » Sun Feb 4, 2018 8:09 pm

Epicurus wrote:Telling the future is difficult, especially with Nurkic who had a great first half, seemingly a need to repeat, on top of a good performance in the previous game. Yes, I really should never respond to your in-game emotional laden remarks. My bad.

If you weren't to consistently respond to posters about how wrong their views were.... how would you continue to feed your outlandish arrogance?

Everyone here knows that if they don't post something exactly to his liking, Mr Epicurus will come in and take subtle jabs at them. I mean you discuss other posters points of view more often than your own. Either way... I don't care Mr Gamelin, Stotts isn't likely to make it to next season anyways... so maybe when he leaves, you'll go with him.
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#53 » by bigdavid » Sun Feb 4, 2018 8:23 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

bigdavid is a huge Turner fan so I'm guessing he thinks Turner's overrated play-making skill trumps the things that Harkless does better than Turner, which is everything else

True, I am a Turner fan. Followed him in college and his NBA days in Philly & Boston. It seems that other than college he was seldom loved in the NBA. I always thought his real position was PG. When Collins had him in philadelphia he tried to play him at SF,although he was a more natural guard. When he finally went to Boston, although disliked at first he became a fan favorite and played a good deal behind Bradley at PG.

I think that ET is a kind of glue guy plays team basketball and want's to win more than score. An unusual trait on the Blazers.
As far as his rather over paid salary, why hold that against him. I think we won most of a last 10 games with him starting, not so with Harkless. More to come!
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#54 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Feb 4, 2018 8:30 pm

by the way....the Super Bowl pre-game show is 5 hours long...that's right, 5 hours.... :roll:
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#55 » by Epicurus » Sun Feb 4, 2018 9:13 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
Epicurus wrote:Telling the future is difficult, especially with Nurkic who had a great first half, seemingly a need to repeat, on top of a good performance in the previous game. Yes, I really should never respond to your in-game emotional laden remarks. My bad.

If you weren't to consistently respond to posters about how wrong their views were.... how would you continue to feed your outlandish arrogance?

Everyone here knows that if they don't post something exactly to his liking, Mr Epicurus will come in and take subtle jabs at them. I mean you discuss other posters points of view more often than your own. Either way... I don't care Mr Gamelin, Stotts isn't likely to make it to next season anyways... so maybe when he leaves, you'll go with him.
Contestable statements get contested. That is the eseence of a forum, any forum. You yourself, when not in your " pity poor me"mode, have challenged quite a few views from others. Is that your way of feeding "your outlandish arrogance?" BTW, I bet I have given more pluses to others than have you. in short, take care of the beam in your eye prior to worrying about the spec in mine.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#56 » by GEE » Sun Feb 4, 2018 9:15 pm

You're not alone in your thinking BigDavid. I, unlike most around here, am not a Turner hater and think he's a good player. I agree with you that his best position is at PG, but because he's 6'7 coaches want to play him out of position. I think if he were to get 20 min/game backing up both Dame and CJ, he would still be overpaid, but would help this team alot more in that role.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#57 » by Epicurus » Sun Feb 4, 2018 9:16 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:by the way....the Super Bowl pre-game show is 5 hours long...that's right, 5 hours.... :roll:
Alll for about 15 minutes of actual football action.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#58 » by GEE » Sun Feb 4, 2018 9:36 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:

+1

:thumbsup:
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#59 » by Norm2953 » Sun Feb 4, 2018 9:37 pm

Turner though is a poor fit in the Stott's system. Playing him at PG on a team without guys who
naturally move well without the ball isn't going to work.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#60 » by red_power » Sun Feb 4, 2018 10:25 pm

Don't think that's a big problem. This team has enough passer but tends to struggle with scoring badly.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020

Return to Portland Trail Blazers