Too early for the draft thread?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Re: Too early for the draft thread? 

Post#61 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Downtown wrote:Melvin Frazier, Chandler Hutchinson as well. I'm just throwing out a few under the radar names that might be available for Portland at the wing.

Frazier could be big time, elite defender. Also agree he is probably a 1st rounder, especially if he can continue to show his 38% from 3 is no fluke..
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#62 » by Village Idiot » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:43 pm

If were were to trade McCollum to get a high lottery pick who would you target?

Michael Porter would be my choice if the doctors cleared his back. He's a winner. Pretty good at everything.

CJ
Swanigan
Layman

to Orlando for

their pick (assuming it falls between 4-6)
Jonathan Simmons - will be ending next season
Terrence Ross - will be ending next season
Shelvin Mack - only $1 million guaranteed

Saves us $4 million in annualized salary this salary year and about the same next season. In 2019-20 we save $20 million in salary

--------------------------------------------------------------------
assuming our pick lands at about 18-20

Turner to Charlotte, Harkless to Indiana and our pick (say #20) for Batum and the Charlotte pick (approximately #10)
Al Jefferson (only $4 million guaranteed) to Charlotte.

That saves us money the next couple of years albeit with a massive caveat that it adds another year of Batum's salary at $29 million. Charlottes saves money both up-front and at the end. Indiana gets a quality SF.

We get a guy in Batum whom Stotts can plug in now and another long-term piece at #10
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#63 » by zzaj » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:44 pm

Village Idiot wrote:If were were to trade McCollum to get a high lottery pick who would you target?

Michael Porter would be my choice if the doctors cleared his back. He's a winner. Pretty good at everything.

CJ
Swanigan
Layman

to Orlando for

Saves us $4 million in annualized salary this salary year and about the same next season. In 2019-20 we save $20 million in salary

Turner to Charlotte, Harkless to Indiana and our pick (say #20) for Batum and the Charlotte pick (approximately #10)

That saves us money the next couple of years albeit with a massive caveat that it adds another year of Batum's salary at $29 million. Charlottes saves money both up-front and at the end. Indiana gets a quality SF.

We get a guy in Batum whom Stotts can plug in now and another long-term piece at #10

MPjr has perhaps the highest offensive upside in this draft. He's listed at 6'10" now and has been absolutely elite shooting off the dribble. However, I don't think that back surgery is a joke...a '"microdiscectomy of his L3-L4 spinal discs," which removes herniated disc material pressing on the spinal cord or a nerve root.' That doesn't sound like a good recipe for athletic ability in a 6'10"+ player in years to come.

Unless he REALLY slides, I would stay away. At this point, I'm thinking MDs aren't going to clear him for the NBA pre-draft rigorous workout schedule.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#64 » by zzaj » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:26 pm

BJ Johnson with the ridiculous line the other night for Lasalle, 31/24. 6'7" 200 lb Junior SG/SF that has gotten better every year...likely won't get drafted.

At this point I'm hoping the Blazers draft Isaac Bonga just so we can hear Shonz say, "Bingo, Bango, Banga" every once in a blue moon...
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#65 » by Soulyss » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Village Idiot wrote:If were were to trade McCollum to get a high lottery pick who would you target?

CJ
Swanigan
Layman

to Orlando for

Trading CJ for Porter really doesn't solve anything.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#66 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Soulyss wrote:

CJ
Swanigan
Layman

to Orlando for

Trading CJ for Porter really doesn't solve anything.

23-24 million a year less in salary does go a long way in 'solving' one of the biggest issues Portland has
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#67 » by Soulyss » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:01 pm

Porter will not contribute at CJ's level, who also provides critical floor spacing. Don't get me wrong I like Porter if he is really healthy... but this sort of swap moves Portland backwards... the 23-24 million is irrelevant because ditching CJ doesn't give us space.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#68 » by zzaj » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:25 pm

Soulyss wrote:Porter will not contribute at CJ's level, who also provides critical floor spacing. Don't get me wrong I like Porter if he is really healthy... but this sort of swap moves Portland backwards... the 23-24 million is irrelevant because ditching CJ doesn't give us space.

Avg. 22/4/3? If Porter's back isn't an issue going forward he could average that. The closest comp that I see thrown around is a more athletic/gifted scoring, Tobias Harris who is 18/5/2. Durant lite is another one.

I have a hard time believing the Blazer FO would draft such an injury risk, though...
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#69 » by Soulyss » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:14 pm

zzaj wrote:
Soulyss wrote:Porter will not contribute at CJ's level, who also provides critical floor spacing. Don't get me wrong I like Porter if he is really healthy... but this sort of swap moves Portland backwards... the 23-24 million is irrelevant because ditching CJ doesn't give us space.

Avg. 22/4/3? If Porter's back isn't an issue going forward he could average that. The closest comp that I see thrown around is a more athletic/gifted scoring, Tobias Harris who is 18/5/2. Durant lite is another one.

I have a hard time believing the Blazer FO would draft such an injury risk, though...

He won't average probably in year one or two... as a matter of fact, the only person to do that by age 20: Lebron James

if you extend that to age 21: James, Jordan, Griffin, Isiah Thomas (Pistons), The Answer, Antonie Walker, and Devin Harris (maybe the most meaningless amazing season ever. with 2.3 WS).

So if you go this route you will be decidedly worse, giving away CJ In his prime to save PAM and the ability to sign no one. I don't see Portland trading CJ unless they can OBVIOUSLY state that it's a massive improvement to be a contender for a championship within Dame's Prime.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#70 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:46 pm

it's not irrelevant, and it's also not about cap-space....if it was, Crabbe would still be a Blazer and so would Vonleh. I think people are kidding themselves if they believe that Portland is not going to make moves with a major consideration toward the tax level

as for contributing at CJ's level, keep in mind that the level of CJ's scoring is based upon shot attempts. CJ is 23rd in scoring but 11th in FGA's. Dame is scoring 4.4 more points a game but only attempt 0.5 more shots. CJ has the 19th highest salary, but of players averaging 12 minutes a game of more he ranks 77th in PER, 80th in TS%, 79th in winshares/48, 88th in box plus/minus, 50th in assist rate, and 47th in value over replacement. He's a long ways from being a bargain

this team is built around Dame & CJ; they use close to 45% of all the possessions. Dame is the franchise player and has proven over the last 6 years what his value is to the team. If you think that this team is pretty close to it's ceiling but don't want to see a complete rebuild, then the most logical place by far to change the dynamic of the team is CJ. We know it's not going to happen under the current management, but it sure should be considered

now, I know next to nothing about Porter. I'm poor at evaluating college talent unless it's somebody like Durant. I was just responding to your idea that exchanging a contract that has nearly 28M/year over the next 3 years for a rookie scale contract "doesn't solve anything". It might not, but there are good & legitimate reasons it might.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#71 » by DusterBuster » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:22 pm

CJ
Swanigan
Layman

to Orlando for

I just can't get onboard with the idea of trading CJ for the unknown of a lottery pick. If we move him, i want proven talent back thats comparable in talent to CJ. If you can't get that, dont trade him.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#72 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Kevin Hervery is a guy whose skill may be overlooked due to his age and injury history. Could be available to take a flier on late in the second.

Some serious red flags, tore his ACL in highschool and in college on both knees, so it would take a pretty clear bill of health, but he is playing and putting up good numbers this year. He plays pretty conservatively from an athletic standpoint - maybe because of his injury history - but he is a below the rim athlete, more smooth than explosive and maybe a touch below average laterally. Really good size and length though, moves very well and has pretty solid anticipation skills. I think the injury his sophomore year really derailed his development, which kind of explains why he stayed through his senior year.

Has definitely improved himself as a shooter this year and with how quick and natural his shot is I think it will translate. However, I watched a bit of a game and what really stood out to me was his passing skills. Didn't rack up a lot of assists, but he consistently was finding open teammates or contributing to a hockey assist and just moving the ball well. I'm a big softy for forwards who can pass, IMO it gives a good read of their general BBIQ. Really being impressed with his floor vision is the reason I'm writing this up.

Spoiler:

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/08/nba-draft-mid-major-prospects-watch-alize-johnson-mike-daum
Hervey checks all the right boxes when it comes to size and skill...as he continued to shake off the rust from a torn left ACL suffered in January 2016 (to boot, he previously tore the right one in high school)...Assuming 35.4% of his team’s shots while on the floor, he’s shouldered a greater load than ever and continued to efficiently anchor a quality UT-Arlington team...Standing 6’9” with a 7’3” wingspan, Hervey is an excellent rebounder...a legitimate perimeter threat, shooting 36.1% percent on nearly seven attempts per game...can get to his shot via screens or off the bounce...He’s doing damage in a range of ways, finding success off spot-ups (where Synergy puts him in the 90th percentile of scorers nationally), the offensive glass (76th percentile) and cutting into space (87th percentile)...

Return to Portland Trail Blazers