ImageImage

Rd 1 Game 1: Portland vs New Orleans 7:30pm SNW/ESPN

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Re: Rd 1 Game 1: Portland vs New Orleans 7:30pm SNW/ESPN 

Post#301 » by Roy The Natural » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:56 am

d-train wrote:Holiday and Rondo are great defenders. Lillard and CJ have a tough series ahead. First they have to beat Holiday and Rondo, then Davis is waiting.

Which would be fine if the Blazers had any shooters on the team.... but alas, they don't, a product of the wonderful roster construction. Lillard was finding players off the drive without a man within 10 feet of him, but alas, the those players can't shoot, and they chucked up shots anyways. Thus is the way of the Stotts offense, it doesn't matter if you suck at what we want to do, do it anyways.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#302 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:00 am

anybody else notice what Marco Belinelli has done for the 76rs? He was bought out and waived by Atlanta in Feb and Philly signed him for a minimum deal. In 30 games he's average 19 points/36 for Philly posting a TS% of .628 (CJ .536). And today, in game 1 of the playoffs, he had 25 points on 17 FGA's

maybe Portland shouldn't be so worshipful of continuity when that means players like Turner & Meyers & Connaughton & Napier & Layman are part of the continuity while players like Belinelli represent opportunities Portland ignores that become big pickups for other teams
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,796

Post#303 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:09 am

Wizenheimer wrote:anybody else notice what Marco Belinelli has done for the 76rs? He was bought out and waived by Atlanta in Feb and Philly signed him for a minimum deal. In 30 games he's average 19 points/36 for Philly posting a TS% of .628 (CJ .536). And today, in game 1 of the playoffs, he had 25 points on 17 FGA's

maybe Portland shouldn't be so worshipful of continuity when that means players like Turner & Meyers & Connaughton & Napier & Layman are part of the continuity while players like Belinelli represent opportunities Portland ignores that become big pickups for other teams

Yes I wanted Ersan and Belinelli and also to make a move for Mirotic at the deadline so we could have more shooters but it didn't happen :[
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 851

Post#304 » by Epicurus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:10 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
d-train wrote:Holiday and Rondo are great defenders. Lillard and CJ have a tough series ahead. First they have to beat Holiday and Rondo, then Davis is waiting.

Which would be fine if the Blazers had any shooters on the team.... but alas, they don't, a product of the wonderful roster construction. Lillard was finding players off the drive without a man within 10 feet of him, but alas, the those players can't shoot, and they chucked up shots anyways. Thus is the way of the Stotts offense, it doesn't matter if you suck at what we want to do, do it anyways.

So the alternative are Dl throwing the ball at the basket when heavily covered or allowing the 24 second clock to run out, rather than his open men (who may not be great shooters, but whose efg is around and over 50%).
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#305 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:15 am

Roy The Natural wrote:

that's 2 'alas'-es and 1 'thus' in three sentences...that's impressive. I can't decide if it's more biblical or more Shakespearean. A 'beget' or a 'behold' would have made it biblical while a 'hoist' or an 'aye' would have sent it the other way....yeah, I've been drinking...first time this year
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#306 » by soobias » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:15 am

how much does c.j. make ? how much does a.d. make........
just saying cj's not worth even close to that kind of money.
hopefully cj and some others are gone this off season.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#307 » by Epicurus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:17 am

Wizenheimer wrote:again...only saw half of the game so looking at the boxscore:

* Dame-CJ - 37 points on 41 FGA's...yuck. That's not going to win many playoff games

* Turner shot 15 times?!?! and had 0 assists and 4 turnovers?! c'mon Stotts...he should have a smaller role, not larger. He had 30 minutes and Baldwin had 3....hmmm

* Blazers 38% FG's and Pelicans 48%. I saw some good Pelican defense so maybe that's where they won the game
1. Baldwin look totally lost in those three minutes, much like a Gleaguer. 2. Others shot worse than Turner, indeed he was at least slightly above the team average. 3.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#308 » by d-train » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:17 am

Roy The Natural wrote:

Blazers didn't shoot well but that wasn't why we lost. We lost because we didn't contain Davis better. And, a lot of our poor shooting was Pelicans defense.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,932

Post#309 » by Moonbeam » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:18 am

Didn't catch the game but have read the game thread. It sounds like Portland played well below their level, and that New Orleans played good defense but Portland missed a lot of open shots. If that is the case, a 2-point loss shouldn't be taken as a sign that Portland can't win the series. Portland did win a game in New Orleans this year and I believe they can do it again.

I picked Portland in 7, and I'm sticking with that pick.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#310 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:20 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:anybody else notice what Marco Belinelli has done for the 76rs? He was bought out and waived by Atlanta in Feb and Philly signed him for a minimum deal. In 30 games he's average 19 points/36 for Philly posting a TS% of .628 (CJ .536). And today, in game 1 of the playoffs, he had 25 points on 17 FGA's

Yes I wanted Ersan and Belinelli and also to make a move for Mirotic at the deadline so we could have more shooters but it didn't happen :[

I forgot about Ilyasova. He's on a minimum deal as well. He had 17 points and 14 rebounds today. So two veteran minimum mid-season signings for the 76ers had 42 points and 16 rebounds today and have been big parts of Philly's late season surge. They have won 17 straight games
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,424

Post#311 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:21 am

Yeah not in too rough a spot, NOs has a bad home-court so we just need to not play this bad, and given Dame and CJ have never combined for 1 FG in a half before this game we won't. with that said I like our defense at the end of the game, it is a nice thing to have in our backpockets, the Pelicans rely alot on AD but like LMA he is a big and that position just doesn't close out ames for ya. Lots of Pressure on Jrue as the only other ball-handler that can score.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#312 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:22 am

I think we tried for Belli,but he knew there was more mins in philly, it is what it is.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#313 » by Epicurus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:26 am

trix17 wrote:MEYERS CUTTING FOR 2?! THEN BACK IT UP WITH PAT CUTTING FOR 2?! Stotts that's some serious bull playcalling and substitutions. Meyers doesn't play all game and you put him in for THAT?!? **** stotts. AND Meyers.
You do understand that all plays have options, pending upon the reads of the ball hnadlers I doubt that Myers was the first or even second option. Also he was in the game then to open up the middle, since he is the best distant shooting big on the team.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#314 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:26 am

Moonbeam wrote:Didn't catch the game but have read the game thread. It sounds like Portland played well below their level, and that New Orleans played good defense but Portland missed a lot of open shots. If that is the case, a 2-point loss shouldn't be taken as a sign that Portland can't win the series. Portland did win a game in New Orleans this year and I believe they can do it again.

I picked Portland in 7, and I'm sticking with that pick.

Yeah I think it is cause of how close we made it and then fumbled it away that has everyone so hot and bother. The Pelicans do have the 2nd fewest home wins of any playoff team, behind only the Wizards.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#315 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:32 am

My god the Pelicans literally have no one on their bench, if only we could've put more pressure on Mirotic or Jrue, they only had 4 guys get more than 6pts. If they think they can rely on Mirotic playing 40+ mins this series, we just gotta keep it close so he makes mistakes at the end of games, he doesn't have the gas in the tank to avg that much mins.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#316 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:33 am

GreenRiddler wrote: Lots of Pressure on Jrue as the only other ball-handler that can score.

when a team has a ball-handler like Rondo, most of the pressure is off other ball-handlers. He had 17 assists tonight and only 2 turnovers. He can't shoot well but he's a master at running an offense. Per36 he averages 11.3 assists and has an assist/turnover ratio of 3.53. And he plays good defense. He's definitely a significant weapon and he has a ton of playoff experience.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#317 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:37 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
GreenRiddler wrote: Lots of Pressure on Jrue as the only other ball-handler that can score.

when a team has a ball-handler like Rondo, most of the pressure is off other ball-handlers. He had 17 assists tonight and only 2 turnovers. He can't shoot well he's a master at running an offense. Per36 he averages 11.3 assists and has an assist/turnover ratio of 3.53. And he plays good defense. He's definitely a significant weapon and he has a ton of playoff experience.

Yeah but how well did he do at the end of the game? That is what I meant, at the end of the game when you need guys to just score they only have 1 guy, coming off 40+mins. McCollum was baiting Rondo into bad shots, he isn't that type of guy. AD can't really close out a game cause he isn't a guard. Rondo sets guys up throughout a game but you need to just score at the end when defensive pressure is as high as it was with us at the end with that 10-0 run.

I just don't know if Jrue can do that.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#318 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:39 am

Damn 15 offensive rebounds and 12 more shots attempted, in a game this bad there was a lot of good take aways. If we shoot even 42% it is probably a 10 pt win.

I will see you all Tuesday night!
d-train
RealGM

Post#319 » by d-train » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:40 am

soobias wrote:how much does c.j. make ? how much does a.d. make........
just saying cj's not worth even close to that kind of money.
hopefully cj and some others are gone this off season.

CJ is worth exactly what he is being paid because we had an option to keep CJ for what he is paid. We had no option to get AD for any amount of money. AD is making the maximum his team was allowed to pay him. Your understanding of why players are paid the amount they get is wildly over-simplistic.
d-train
RealGM

Post#320 » by d-train » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:52 am

GreenRiddler wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

when a team has a ball-handler like Rondo, most of the pressure is off other ball-handlers. He had 17 assists tonight and only 2 turnovers. He can't shoot well he's a master at running an offense. Per36 he averages 11.3 assists and has an assist/turnover ratio of 3.53. And he plays good defense. He's definitely a significant weapon and he has a ton of playoff experience.

Yeah but how well did he do at the end of the game? That is what I meant, at the end of the game when you need guys to just score they only have 1 guy, coming off 40+mins. McCollum was baiting Rondo into bad shots, he isn't that type of guy. AD can't really close out a game cause he isn't a guard. Rondo sets guys up throughout a game but you need to just score at the end when defensive pressure is as high as it was with us at the end with that 10-0 run.

I just don't know if Jrue can do that.

Holiday is a great player. Pelicans have 2 great players and they have a top 5 player. We need Pelicans to under perform the way they have for years in order to beat them.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers