ImageImage

Sign Parker this summer?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Nitro912
Freshman
And1: 64

Sign Parker this summer? 

Post#1 » by Nitro912 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:29 am

Would anyone do CJ for J. Parker this summer? I'd take the risk. Balances our roster much better if he can stay healthy.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,425

Re: CJ for Parker? 

Post#2 » by Myth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:42 am

Absolutely not. He is worse than CJ and a bigger injury risk. This is a huge overreaction move simply to get rid of CJ.
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#3 » by BigLurch92 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:50 am

no way would i do that
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#4 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:57 am

yeah, I'm not a CJ fan and I'm really not a fan of the Dame-CJ backcourt but that's not a trade I'd do. Portland needs to get a better return then that
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#5 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:11 am

Hasn’t he torn his ACL twice?
No thank you
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

acidfrehley
Sophomore
And1: 176

Post#6 » by acidfrehley » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:19 pm

I'd love to have a healthy Jabari in our squad. I think that he has a ton of potential do be unlocked, and we have the environment to do that.

But on the other hand, I'm one of those that really like CJ as our starting sg. Gotta admit that after this series he kinda lost his "untradable" status. A trade revolving around Jabari is one that I would consider.

I'd ask for Middleton too, though.

CJ + Harkless for Jabari + Middleton. Probably we would have to add some sort of pick to balance that.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#7 » by red_power » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:14 pm

CJ for Parker? it's a really bad idea
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#8 » by Masterfully » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:12 pm

acidfrehley wrote:I'd love to have a healthy Jabari in our squad. I think that he has a ton of potential do be unlocked, and we have the environment to do that.

But on the other hand, I'm one of those that really like CJ as our starting sg. Gotta admit that after this series he kinda lost his "untradable" status. A trade revolving around Jabari is one that I would consider.

I'd ask for Middleton too, though.

CJ + Harkless for Jabari + Middleton. Probably we would have to add some sort of pick to balance that.

Milwaukee wouldn’t even do Middleton for McCollum. There aren’t enough picks to add for them to accept that trade.

I would consider CJ for Parker. I think it’s a good trade for both teams. Milwaukee can use McCollum at the PG position, since they don’t need a traditional playmaker with Giannis on board.

The only reason this trade is even remotely realistic is BECAUSE of Parker’s injuries. He’s very talented. It would be a risk for Portland, but one I would take.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,461

Post#9 » by Pattycakes » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:55 pm

If Parker experiences another season ending injury, we basically throw CJ in the trash can over what was simply a mediocre finish to the season.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,935

Post#10 » by Effigy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Nope. I'd do Turner and our pick for Jabari. Turner's deal is down to 2 years, that's pretty manageable.
7-12-52
Senior
And1: 392

Post#11 » by 7-12-52 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Whoever signs Jabari to his next contract is just gambling at this point. Not just because of injuries... he has major red flags in his game. No to Jabari at any trade price.
acidfrehley
Sophomore
And1: 176

Post#12 » by acidfrehley » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Wait, I forgot he is a free agent this summer. Only if we had cap space...
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,960

Post#13 » by DusterBuster » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:27 am

Myth wrote:This is a huge overreaction.

That section of your post pretty much exemplifies RealGM Blazers forum at the moment. It sucks, the only two online Blazer forums I frequent on a regular basis is here and the RipCity subreddit and they're like bipolar opposites of one another. This place is like walking into the mind of a manic depressive and the RipCity subreddit thinks we can still make the Finals and gets their panties in a twist if you say the slightest bit of criticism.

Why can't there just be a middle ground somewhere online? We can acknowledge that this sucks, and something is wrong, but discuss realistic options for fixing it rather than firing/trading every person in sight wearing red and white?
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,461

Post#14 » by Pattycakes » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:02 am

DusterBuster wrote:

That section of your post pretty much exemplifies RealGM Blazers forum at the moment. It sucks, the only two online Blazer forums I frequent on a regular basis is here and the RipCity subreddit and they're like bipolar opposites of one another. This place is like walking into the mind of a manic depressive and the RipCity subreddit thinks we can still make the Finals and gets their panties in a twist if you say the slightest bit of criticism.

Why can't there just be a middle ground somewhere online? We can acknowledge that this sucks, and something is wrong, but discuss realistic options for fixing it rather than firing/trading every person in sight wearing red and white?

I think we're all looking for a team that is actually competitive in the playoffs, and even dare I say DOMINANT?

This current team/coaching staff/GM have shown no signs whatsoever of being capable of that...a fire sale isn't an overreaction, but might just be the best route. Retooling around Lillard with the tradeable assets we have is admirable, but really...how much better can we get in this situation? It was cute to enjoy some success with Dame post-LA/Batum/Wes, but we are in the worst possible position we could be. Maxed out on salary, maxed out on talent, and maxed out on young potential.

I am VERY high on Collins and Nurk, but the Stotts/CJ/Dame combination is so predictable on many levels, we're much better off without at least one of em.
plyrically
Junior
And1: 49

Post#15 » by plyrically » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:27 am

Best sell high buy low deal we can make right now. Green light to this from me.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#16 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:44 am

DusterBuster wrote:Stotts is a very good coach and Portland would be dumb to fire him over this playoff series. Stotts isn't the problem, Portland's roster is.

DusterBuster wrote:Why can't there just be a middle ground somewhere online? We can acknowledge that this sucks, and something is wrong, but discuss realistic options for fixing it rather than firing/trading every person in sight wearing red and white?

ok then....I'm a little confused

you say Stotts isn't problem...the roster is broken. But I've had many debates with you about who built this broken roster, Neil Olshey, and I know that you're a big Olshey supporter and likely won't say he's the problem

but Olshey has been on the job 6 years and he's the architect of the entire roster....but again, apparently he's not the problem

and your 2nd post there appears in a thread discussing the possibility of CJ being traded, and for what return. And of course, Olshey says CJ is untouchable and wouldn't consider trading him

so then CJ isn't the problem. Olshey isn't the problem, and Stotts isn't the problem. Ok then, we're getting somewhere

I'm also guessing you'd agree that Dame isn't the problem...?

so that leaves the rest of the players "in sight wearing red and white".

Nurkic...is he the problem?...the guy primarily responsible for making Portland's defense a top-10 defense. He's RFA so it will be kind of difficult to trade him but the Blazers could let him walk I guess. And frankly, the problem(s) with the roster were all there before Nurkic arrived so assigning blame to him seems well off-base. Ed Davis is UFA and there's no guarantee that Portland can re-sign him, even if they want to. If those two guys are the problem the Blazers could always go into next season with Meyers as the starting C (and wouldn't there be problems then). He can't be the problem because he only played 260 minutes from October thru last night (about 37 minutes a month, many in garbage time). I suppose his contract could be the problem but him on or off the team isn't going to make any difference in the level of the team

so, after Olshey and Stotts and CJ and Dame and Nurkic and Davis we're kind of getting into the realm of rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship aren't we? I mean, trading Harkless for Trevor Ariza isn't going to make any difference...right? And yeah, I know Turner sucks but the roster architect has made it next to impossible to do anything about that.

so, forget about the back end role players. Sure maybe there will be an opportunity for an upgrade but odds are pretty high sending out one of those guys will just be some lateral move or a cost-cutting one

so it sure seems we have to climb back up the scale....look at the actual people that make a difference....players like Dame and CJ and Nurkic...and management like the GM and coach. I don't know where else to look for significant corrections to significant problems

in other words, I'm seeing you criticize people for the tone and ideas here, but it sure seems like you're dismissing just about every possible move that would actually make a difference over the next 2-3 years. Honestly DB, I'm not trying to be a smartass here (mostly). What am I missing?
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#17 » by DusterBuster » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:46 am

Pattycakes wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

I think we're all looking for a team that is actually competitive in the playoffs, and even dare I say DOMINANT?

This current team/coaching staff/GM have shown no signs whatsoever of being capable of that...a fire sale isn't an overreaction, but might just be the best route. Retooling around Lillard with the tradeable assets we have is admirable, but really...how much better can we get in this situation? It was cute to enjoy some success with Dame post-LA/Batum/Wes, but we are in the worst possible position we could be. Maxed out on salary, maxed out on talent, and maxed out on young potential.

I am VERY high on Collins and Nurk, but the Stotts/CJ/Dame combination is so predictable on many levels, we're much better off without at least one of em.

I agree with needing a change with that core combo, but I don't think firing Stotts is the answer. Finding a good (or even just above average) coach in the NBA is WWWAAAAYYYY easier said than done. Most fans just get pissed, say fire the coach and hope for better pastures. Those pastures may never come. For every Quinn Snyder or Brad Stevens, there's about 20 Mike Malones or Steve Cliffords. Stotts has proven himself to be an upper echelon coach who has consistently had his players respect. That's not a coach you let go of on an overreaction.

I think the Blazers probably need to break up the core of Dame and CJ because, as you and others have said, that combo is just proving to be too predictable and easy to stop when push comes to shove and everyone is trying their hardest (regular season players =/= post-season players). Of those two, the option is pretty clear, it's CJ who should get traded.

I'm also willing to see a couple silver linings in this awful playoff series. One, I do think it may cause the team to consider making a fairly drastic level move like trading CJ. I also think this is one that's going to stick with Lillard for awhile and push him to want to improve his game even more. This series will put a stain on what was otherwise a wildly successful season for himself and the franchise. To get nearly 50 wins, take home the division championship and be a shoe-in All NBA 2nd - possibly 1st - Team player... only to get punked in the playoffs by a team.

Granted, the flip side to that is maybe instead of internalizing all of it to push himself to be better, maybe he pushes his frustration externally towards the franchise and then pull a Paul George.... I would hope not, but it can't be discounted out of hand either.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#18 » by DusterBuster » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:00 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Stotts is a very good coach and Portland would be dumb to fire him over this playoff series. Stotts isn't the problem, Portland's roster is.

DusterBuster wrote:Why can't there just be a middle ground somewhere online? We can acknowledge that this sucks, and something is wrong, but discuss realistic options for fixing it rather than firing/trading every person in sight wearing red and white?

you say Stotts isn't problem...the roster is broken. But I've had many debates with you about who built this broken roster, Neil Olshey, and I know that you're a big Olshey supporter and likely won't say he's the problem

but Olshey has been on the job 6 years and he's the architect of the entire roster....but again, apparently he's not the problem

and your 2nd post there appears in a thread discussing the possibility of CJ being traded, and for what return. And of course, Olshey says CJ is untouchable and wouldn't consider trading him

so then CJ isn't the problem. Olshey isn't the problem, and Stotts isn't the problem. Ok then, we're getting somewhere

Nurkic...is he the problem?...the guy primarily responsible for making Portland's defense a top-10 defense. He's RFA so it will be kind of difficult to trade him but the Blazers could let him walk I guess. And frankly, the problem(s) with the roster were all there before Nurkic arrived so assigning blame to him seems well off-base. Ed Davis is UFA and there's no guarantee that Portland can re-sign him, even if they want to. If those two guys are the problem the Blazers could always go into next season with Meyers as the starting C (and wouldn't there be problems then). He can't be the problem because he only played 260 minutes from October thru last night (about 37 minutes a month, many in garbage time). I suppose his contract could be the problem but him on or off the team isn't going to make any difference in the level of the team

so, after Olshey and Stotts and CJ and Dame and Nurkic and Davis we're kind of getting into the realm of rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship aren't we? I mean, trading Harkless for Trevor Ariza isn't going to make any difference...right? And yeah, I know Turner sucks but the roster architect has made it next to impossible to do anything about that.

so, forget about the back end role players. Sure maybe there will be an opportunity for an upgrade but odds are pretty high sending out one of those guys will just be some lateral move or a cost-cutting one

so it sure seems we have to climb back up the scale....look at the actual people that make a difference....players like Dame and CJ and Nurkic...and management like the GM and coach. I don't know where else to look for significant corrections to significant problems

in other words, I'm seeing you criticize people for the tone and ideas here, but it sure seems like you're dismissing just about every possible move that would actually make a difference over the next 2-3 years. Honestly DB, I'm not trying to be a smartass here (mostly). What am I missing?

You could have saved yourself about 4 paragraphs had you just asked for a more detailed explanation....

For one, if you go about firing Olshey, you're setting back any rebuild or retool at least a year. This summer will be totally consumed by simply trying to find a new GM, than that GM will want to evaluate the team for himself before making any roster overhauls. Secondly, as with Stotts, I'm not going to bitch about Olshey building a 50 win team that has made the playoffs consistently. I'll take that over whatever the hell some of these other teams have done in the NBA. However, I do think it's time for Olshey to look realistically at this roster and what can be done to improve it. Again, finding competent and stable people to run a franchise is a rarity in the NBA. And yes, you can complain all you want and nitpick Olshey to death, but as someone who still vividly remembers the days of cycling through terrible GM's left and right (John Nash says hi, so does Rich Cho, and sorta Steve Buchanan), I'll take someone who's got a decent batting average when looked at through the eyes perspective of the league as a whole.

You also keep pointing to this interview Olshey did where he said he's not going to trade CJ... I think that's pretty pointless arguement to be honest. You're making Olshey's opinion on roster composition to be a static thing that's set in stone until the end of time. You know well that the view on a teams roster composition, just like player value, is in a constantly fluid state. I believe this series will be a fairly strong data point for Olshey where his view on the team's current makeup will change, and probably change fairly drastically. I suppose only time will tell on that, and even then, I suspect we won't know something until it happens. Olshey has never been one to telegraph trades before they happen, so again, using any quotes from him as though that's meant to be the forever gospel.... thanks but no thanks.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#19 » by Sinobas » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:14 pm

I wonder if a team that is way under the cap, like Dallas, would take CJ for their #3 pick? Another possibility is to try to strike it rich like the Pacers did, by getting players right before their breakout years. That would be tough to pull off though.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#20 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:49 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Spoiler:
Wizenheimer wrote:

You could have saved yourself about 4 paragraphs had you just asked for a more detailed explanation....

thanks for the concern about my time but I get paid by the paragraph

For one, if you go about firing Olshey, you're setting back any rebuild or retool at least a year. This summer will be totally consumed by simply trying to find a new GM, than that GM will want to evaluate the team for himself before making any roster overhauls.

not necessarily. Any basketball novice can see there are significant issues with the roster and that changes need to be made. It's not like the games of players like Dame, CJ, Aminu, and Turner are mysteries

what is going to drag out the retool/rebuild is the lack of flexibility and some nearly impossible to move contracts; having a 24th pick doesn't help much either

Secondly, as with Stotts, I'm not going to bitch about Olshey building a 50 win team that has made the playoffs consistently. I'll take that over whatever the hell some of these other teams have done in the NBA.

Olshey hasn't really "built" a 50 win team though. The two versions that hit that threshold did so, in large part, because of Aldridge, Matthews, and Batum. He was part of the build, but not the sole architect

However, I do think it's time for Olshey to look realistically at this roster and what can be done to improve it. Again, finding competent and stable people to run a franchise is a rarity in the NBA. And yes, you can complain all you want and nitpick Olshey to death, but as someone who still vividly remembers the days of cycling through terrible GM's left and right (John Nash says hi, so does Rich Cho, and sorta Steve Buchanan), I'll take someone who's got a decent batting average when looked at through the eyes perspective of the league as a whole.

got it...you're still in Olshey's corner...he's not the problem

by the way, do you really think when you start out by immediately dismissing my views as "nitpicking" it advances your arguments?

You also keep pointing to this interview Olshey did where he said he's not going to trade CJ... I think that's pretty pointless arguement to be honest. You're making Olshey's opinion on roster composition to be a static thing that's set in stone until the end of time.

he said it two months ago, not two years ago. It's not a stretch at all to believe he still holds that view

You know well that the view on a teams roster composition, just like player value, is in a constantly fluid state. I believe this series will be a fairly strong data point for Olshey where his view on the team's current makeup will change, and probably change fairly drastically. I suppose only time will tell on that, and even then, I suspect we won't know something until it happens. Olshey has never been one to telegraph trades before they happen, so again, using any quotes from him as though that's meant to be the forever gospel.... thanks but no thanks.

lol..."set in stone till the end of time" and "forever gospel" . I guess it's your style to first setup an opposing view as extreme on one end or nitpicking on the other, and then go on from there as the 'rational' view. I don't think that tactic works as well as you think it does

Like I said, it was two months ago when he said that, and subsequently, Jason Quick, a couple of weeks ago, said Olshey has "supreme confidence" in the Blazer back court (although that might have been based upon the earlier interview). And it's not like that was the first time Olshey gushed about CJ...he's been doing it since he drafted him 5 years ago

but you're right, opinions can change, including his. And a 5-8 close to the season followed by the team potentially getting swept should test every assumption he has about the team. I sure hope his opinions have changed because the options for a retool are limited and almost certainly can't be built around lateral moves in the lower level of the rotation

simply put, Portland needs better talent and it needs to be more complementary then the redundancy of the Dame/CK back court. Portland needs a player who is better then CJ, maybe as good (or better) as Dame, and who fits better then CJ as well. That will be a difficult needle to thread but the alternative to that are more closes to seasons like we've seen over the last month

right now, my feeling is that the lottery would be better then this, but that could be a short term sensation

Return to Portland Trail Blazers