Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Re: Portland's Off-Season Has Officially Arrived 

Post#301 » by DusterBuster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:19 am

plyrically wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Mainly I'm thinking about Kevin Love when/if (...when) LeBron leaves. I don't suspect the market will be very strong for him and I think Portland could get him with a surprisingly reasonable offer, meaning I don't think they would have to move CJ to get him.

Say Portland does something like Aminu, Leonard, Swanigan and 2019 1st rounder (Top 6 or 10 protected) for Love.

at a minimum, Cleveland would want Collins in a non-CJ Love trade. Collins+1st+Harkless+Leonard works under the CBA. gives Cleveland a prospect in Collins, a pick to rebuild with, a decent young-ish player in Harkless, and the necessary trade filler. for Portland, you build around 27 year old Damian Lillard instead of 32 year old Damian Lillard, presuming he'll re-sign with Portland given the roster Olshey provided him in his prime.

Yea I’m not trading Zach, the pick, and Mo for Love. Gosh what a ripoff.

I don't agree with Love's trade value as being what Stern, I think his value is gonna be considerably lower. Judging by here and the GenBoard, I think most people have Loves value pegged too high given how mediocre he's played, how injured he been and how he's played as a 2nd fiddle for the past 4 years. I think his value will be a bit lower than what the Kings got for Cousins. I think Portland can get him without surrendering Collins or CJ. I think the Cavs will be interested in Harkless and the player 19 FRP. If they play hardball for a young guy, i think they can get by with Swanigan as the young player added (Harkless still being very young himself).

We'll see tho, we're all just grasping at straws for what the Cavs view on Loves value will be if they decide to move him. Hell, the Cavs may not even know how they value him yet, as that value metric will shift depending on of they resign or lose LeBron.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
plyrically
Junior
And1: 49

Post#302 » by plyrically » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:40 am

DusterBuster wrote:
plyrically wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
at a minimum, Cleveland would want Collins in a non-CJ Love trade. Collins+1st+Harkless+Leonard works under the CBA. gives Cleveland a prospect in Collins, a pick to rebuild with, a decent young-ish player in Harkless, and the necessary trade filler. for Portland, you build around 27 year old Damian Lillard instead of 32 year old Damian Lillard, presuming he'll re-sign with Portland given the roster Olshey provided him in his prime.

Yea I’m not trading Zach, the pick, and Mo for Love. Gosh what a ripoff.

I don't agree with Love's trade value as being what Stern, I think his value is gonna be considerably lower. Judging by here and the GenBoard, I think most people have Loves value pegged too high given how mediocre he's played, how injured he been and how he's played as a 2nd fiddle for the past 4 years. I think his value will be a bit lower than what the Kings got for Cousins. I think Portland can get him without surrendering Collins or CJ. I think the Cavs will be interested in Harkless and the player 19 FRP. If they play hardball for a young guy, i think they can get by with Swanigan as the young player added (Harkless still being very young himself).

We'll see tho, we're all just grasping at straws for what the Cavs view on Loves value will be if they decide to move him. Hell, the Cavs may not even know how they value him yet, as that value metric will shift depending on of they resign or lose LeBron.

Switching the topic to Eric Gordon who might be had for strictly cap relief under some circumstances, his contract fits perfectly into that TPE.. I bet Olshey’s talking to Morey..

Adding upon it, the more I think about this the more i'm positive that the Blazers just can't start both Harkless and Chief at the 3 and the 4 in this upcoming season. I'm fine with one of them (whomever it may be), just think that it's going to be next to impossible (obviously, depends also on how you choose to add into that 2nd unit) to get through the 1st round with both in the lineup. The Blazers played some of their best post LMA era ball after the all-star break this year till Harkless got hurt, and Chief was pretty decent in the Playoffs (As much as you can be on a losing effort) - but I feel like a refreshment is due. And it's tough to say it since probably he's the best teammate any player could wish for, ET has to be traded one way or another.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#303 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:45 pm

plyrically wrote:Switching the topic to Eric Gordon who might be had for strictly cap relief under some circumstances, his contract fits perfectly into that TPE.. I bet Olshey’s talking to Morey..

the problem with that, of course, is tax. If the Blazers add Gordon's 13.5M salary to their current situation, and you assume they re-sign Nurkic and Davis (18M + 9M?), Portland would be looking at a 100M tax bill

while PA may be OK with paying some tax, 100M is excessive. So then, if Portland adds Gordon at the expense of Ed Davis, would they actually be any better? Gordon is better then Connaughton for sure, but Pat could slide to the SF position situationally, while Gordon is pretty much a SG. And that would mean that in order to get Dame-CJ-Gordon their minutes, CJ would have to play a lot of PG and frankly, he's crappy at that. So, not only could Portland be sacrificing Ed Davis, they'd be sacrificing minutes for a backup PG. That's just not an improved team, but it sure is more expensive

maybe the Blazers can use their TPE as a instantaneous transitional spot in a multi-team trade that boomerangs a player immediately to another team but it's hard seeing how that could work

Adding upon it, the more I think about this the more i'm positive that the Blazers just can't start both Harkless and Chief at the 3 and the 4 in this upcoming season. I'm fine with one of them (whomever it may be), just think that it's going to be next to impossible (obviously, depends also on how you choose to add into that 2nd unit) to get through the 1st round with both in the lineup. The Blazers played some of their best post LMA era ball after the all-star break this year till Harkless got hurt, and Chief was pretty decent in the Playoffs (As much as you can be on a losing effort) - but I feel like a refreshment is due. And it's tough to say it since probably he's the best teammate any player could wish for, ET has to be traded one way or another.

my take is the 'problem' is bigger then Harkless/Aminu. At SG-SF-PF Portland has CJ-Harkless-Aminu. Those are their best players at those 3 positions. But those are the positions where the good teams have their strength. A team definitely needs, at minimum, a consensus all-star player at one of those positions. A player who can force opposing defenses to adjust to his talent. Portland doesn't have that and frankly, they aren't even close

Portland's strength is the talent of Lillard. But him being Portland's PG means that's also Portland's biggest vulnerability. Shut Dame down and a team takes out the #1 option at the same time they hamstring the offense since nobody else on Portland can run the offense with any efficiency. Broken roster

that's basically the problem I have with almost all of the trade ideas I see. None are bringing in a good enough player but almost all are bringing in lots of salary. Trading Harkless + Aminu for Love solves nothing. Adding Eric Gordon solves nothing. I'd like CJ traded but I almost never see trades that would make a difference, and the few that do seem too lop-sided in Portland's favor to be realistic.

At minimum, Portland needs a player significantly more talented then anyone they have not named Lillard. They aren't going to trade Harkless for a better SF or Aminu for a better PF. I can't see any realistic trade that would accomplish that. The only way to realistically get that player, IMO, is thru the draft. So, I'm a lot more inclined to like trades that bring in picks, even if it makes the team worse, short term (that might be a bonus as well). If Portland can get the 14th pick + Faried, I like that a lot more then just getting Gordon. (and yes, I know the odds of landing an all-star level player at 14).

I think it would be a big mistake if Portland just makes trades that rearrange the deck chairs while ignoring the sputtering sound in the engine room. The ship is taking on water and changing out furniture isn't going to solve what's going on below the waterline
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,873

Post#304 » by JasonStern » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:28 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I don't agree with Love's trade value as being what Stern, I think his value is gonna be considerably lower. Judging by here and the GenBoard, I think most people have Loves value pegged too high given how mediocre he's played, how injured he been and how he's played as a 2nd fiddle for the past 4 years. I think his value will be a bit lower than what the Kings got for Cousins. I think Portland can get him without surrendering Collins or CJ. I think the Cavs will be interested in Harkless and the player 19 FRP. If they play hardball for a young guy, i think they can get by with Swanigan as the young player added (Harkless still being very young himself).

honestly, I think I just don't value Collins as much as everyone else. everyone's optimistic that someday Collins can be a 17/9 player. but that's exactly what "low value" Kevin Love is.

let's say Harkless+1st could land Love. that's great except it doesn't work under the CBA. you cannot combine Crabbe's TPE with Harkless' contract, so the incoming and outgoing salaries have to come close to matching. trading both Harkless and Aminu makes zero sense to both teams from a fit/roster balance standpoint, so that means Portland pretty much has to include Leonard. but he's negative value, meaning Portland would need to add more.

Wizenheimer wrote:At minimum, Portland needs a player significantly more talented then anyone they have not named Lillard. They aren't going to trade Harkless for a better SF or Aminu for a better PF. I can't see any realistic trade that would accomplish that. The only way to realistically get that player, IMO, is thru the draft. So, I'm a lot more inclined to like trades that bring in picks, even if it makes the team worse, short term (that might be a bonus as well). If Portland can get the 14th pick + Faried, I like that a lot more then just getting Gordon. (and yes, I know the odds of landing an all-star level player at 14).

the problem is that lots of teams have that philosophy now and picks have become overvalued compared to their previous worth. remember when SPAM could land us 1st round picks each draft? and then parlay those picks to move up? now you're seeing the capped maximum allowed money for a 2nd round pick in the late 30s. add to that the fact that most of Portland's players have neutral to negative value, and acquiring picks isn't something you can easily do short of moving Dame or CJ.

but then you would have blown up the team and started tanking for picks after injuries to Bowie and VanDeWeghe. :P
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,164

Post#305 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:35 pm

JasonStern wrote:honestly, I think I just don't value Collins as much as everyone else. everyone's optimistic that someday Collins can be a 17/9 player. but that's exactly what "low value" Kevin Love is.

Collins is a real nice defender though, both at the rim and switching onto smaller players. Not as good of an individual rebounder as Love but if Love could defend like Collins he would be a much more coveted player.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,843

Post#306 » by Norm2953 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 pm

I’d keep an eye on what’s going with the Lakers if I were Portland (along with the rest of the Western conference) with the reports of LeBron enrolling his kids in LA Hs. Paying out luxury taxes in a conference with the GSW and rebuilt Lakers along with the Rockets seems pointless
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#307 » by Masterfully » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I’d keep an eye on what’s going with the Lakers if I were Portland (along with the rest of the Western conference) with the reports of LeBron enrolling his kids in LA Hs. Paying out luxury taxes in a conference with the GSW and rebuilt Lakers along with the Rockets seems pointless

Oh it’s definitely pointless. I wish Portland would commit to a direction. Go all in for Lillard’s prime, trade young players and picks for win-now vets OR trade Lillard, CJ etc for future pieces.

It feels like they are putting a foot in both lanes. And pretty content with the results.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#308 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:54 pm

I like the idea of Gordon for the TPE. It gives us an elite 6th man, and allows us to move CJ in a biger deal. Does this ofseason move the needle?

TPE + 2 R2 picks for Eric Gordon
Harkless for Courtney Lee
CJ + Swanigan + 24 for Love + 8 (This is the one that I think is unfair for CLE, but who knows)
Take Michael Porter Jr at 8

PG - Damian Lillard / Eric Gordon
SG - Courtney Lee / Eric Gordon
SF - Al-Fariq Aminu / Michael Porter Jr.
PF - Kevin Love / Zach Collins
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Zach Collins

Some young talent, but good enough to keep Damian happy. Still probably a treadmill unless Porter is a star, and that part of the offseason idea is the least likely. Ugh. Every time I try to do a mock offseason, it seems to make more and more sense to just blow the whole thing up and deal Damian. But that is so sad to think about.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#309 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:35 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
JasonStern wrote:honestly, I think I just don't value Collins as much as everyone else. everyone's optimistic that someday Collins can be a 17/9 player. but that's exactly what "low value" Kevin Love is.

Collins is a real nice defender though, both at the rim and switching onto smaller players. Not as good of an individual rebounder as Love but if Love could defend like Collins he would be a much more coveted player.

This. And the simple fact that the Blazers org clearly values Collins extremely highly, and much higher than Jason does, which means the Blazers would probably struggle to agree to move him in a Love deal.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,843

Post#310 » by Norm2953 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:01 am

Frankly, I'm not a fan of the notion of building the team around Dame's timeline for the GSW are not
going away anytime soon. If the Lakers get Lebron, CP3 and PG, we might be seeing the rest of
the western conference competing for 4th place. I'd rather we build the team around Zach's
timeline, around 2021 when Lebron will be 37 and Steph 32. Hopefully by 2022 when the CBA
is up, the rest of the league's teams who cannot compete for a championship will force through
a hard cap
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#311 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:26 am

I tend to agree with Norm. I am overwhelmingly high on Doncic. IF we could find a way to move Damian, a bad contract and filler for a Doncic, expiring deal and prospect I would jump on it. Phoenix is a fit, but not sure if they move 1.

Damian and Myers for Doncic, Chandler, Dudley, Williams, Ullis and Bender would interest me. PHX could sign Cousins and have a really nice lineup of Damian-Booker-Jackson-Chriss-Cousins. We then move CJ for, say, Ntkilina, 9 and filler. Take

PG Frank Ntkilina 19 / Tyler Ullis 22
SG Luka Doncic 19
SF Miles Bridges 20
PF Zach Collins 20 / Dragan Bender 20
C Jusuf Nurkic 23

That’s an exciting very, very young core.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#312 » by cucad8 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:50 am

Norm2953 wrote:I’d keep an eye on what’s going with the Lakers if I were Portland (along with the rest of the Western conference) with the reports of LeBron enrolling his kids in LA Hs. Paying out luxury taxes in a conference with the GSW and rebuilt Lakers along with the Rockets seems pointless

The problem I ultimately have with this thinking is...why even bother having a team then? I know we all want to win a championship, and how awesome that would be, but even if we're somewhat competitive, it lends itself to more entertainment for fans(it's entertainment, afterall), and more money for the owner. Which I imagine he cares about.

8 years ago, Lebron went to the Heat, and everyone said well, what's the point. You're not going to beat them. Should start rebuilding now, aim for...whenever. Then OKC was the hot upstart, and gosh, they were gonna run the league for ever and ever and what's the point? And now GSW, but also maybe the Lakers. And Houston. It'll always seem pointless. So what's the point? To hope by some miracle all your young guys align right as another super team falls off, and before a new one has been created?

I think one of the nice little bonuses we currently have as a franchise is our star player is under a max deal, but on his first max deal. And we have that benefit for 3 more seasons. Where he has a palatable contract, and you hope you can find the right pieces to build around him. Look at a team like Washington, where after this season, Wall is making 40 million a year. We have a window of opportunity, IMO, to continue to build this and see where it goes.

I think for a lot of fans, it's easier to be sold a line of BS about potential, because it is often easy to see in young players, and so a perpetual rebuilding situation could be easily polished. But there's plenty of examples that aren't Philly that haven't had the same success. And even them, they got super lucky Embiid was hurt before that draft. Otherwise, he goes 1, and they have likely had Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins for the last 4 years, and they aren't the same team we see now.
cucad8
Head Coach

Post#313 » by cucad8 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:52 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:I tend to agree with Norm. I am overwhelmingly high on Doncic. IF we could find a way to move Damian, a bad contract and filler for a Doncic, expiring deal and prospect I would jump on it. Phoenix is a fit, but not sure if they move 1.

Damian and Myers for Doncic, Chandler, Dudley, Williams, Ullis and Bender would interest me. PHX could sign Cousins and have a really nice lineup of Damian-Booker-Jackson-Chriss-Cousins. We then move CJ for, say, Ntkilina, 9 and filler. Take

SG Luka Doncic 19
SF Miles Bridges 20
C Jusuf Nurkic 23

Yeah, but why try to compete during Philly and Boston's window? I'd then look to trade each of those individuals for picks in the 2022, or 2023 draft to ttry to get Lebron Jr.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,521

Post#314 » by zzaj » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:01 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:I tend to agree with Norm. I am overwhelmingly high on Doncic. IF we could find a way to move Damian, a bad contract and filler for a Doncic, expiring deal and prospect I would jump on it. Phoenix is a fit, but not sure if they move 1.

SG Luka Doncic 19
SF Miles Bridges 20
C Jusuf Nurkic 23

It's interesting that you have Doncic slated in as a SG. While he has incredibly advanced dribble skills for a 6'8 player...watching his games he seems too slow to really attack and get separation with quickness against other SGs and most SFs in the NBA. I could see his best position actually being a playmaking PF, a la Lebron or Ben Simmons.

I'm also really high on him...
7-12-52
Senior
And1: 392

Post#315 » by 7-12-52 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:24 am

cucad8 wrote:

The problem I ultimately have with this thinking is...why even bother having a team then? I know we all want to win a championship, and how awesome that would be, but even if we're somewhat competitive, it lends itself to more entertainment for fans(it's entertainment, afterall), and more money for the owner. Which I imagine he cares about.

8 years ago, Lebron went to the Heat, and everyone said well, what's the point. You're not going to beat them. Should start rebuilding now, aim for...whenever. Then OKC was the hot upstart, and gosh, they were gonna run the league for ever and ever and what's the point? And now GSW, but also maybe the Lakers. And Houston. It'll always seem pointless. So what's the point? To hope by some miracle all your young guys align right as another super team falls off, and before a new one has been created?

I think one of the nice little bonuses we currently have as a franchise is our star player is under a max deal, but on his first max deal. And we have that benefit for 3 more seasons. Where he has a palatable contract, and you hope you can find the right pieces to build around him. Look at a team like Washington, where after this season, Wall is making 40 million a year. We have a window of opportunity, IMO, to continue to build this and see where it goes.

I think for a lot of fans, it's easier to be sold a line of BS about potential, because it is often easy to see in young players, and so a perpetual rebuilding situation could be easily polished. But there's plenty of examples that aren't Philly that haven't had the same success. And even them, they got super lucky Embiid was hurt before that draft. Otherwise, he goes 1, and they have likely had Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins for the last 4 years, and they aren't the same team we see now.

The point is that you are already well aware of "where it goes." It goes thru Golden State and Houston and nothing the Blazers can do will change that. What are you imagining as other possible scenarios?

The why have a team thing goes both ways too. If we aren't trying to win a championship... and you can't possibly argue that this roster has even a remote chance... why even bother having a team? Are we a farm team? It is certainly starting to appear that way.

The Blazers have made it out of the first round 2 times since the year 2000. I just don't get what you're afraid of. We don't need Damian and CJ to continue not winning playoff games.
cucad8
Head Coach

Post#316 » by cucad8 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:30 am

7-12-52 wrote:
cucad8 wrote:

The point is that you are already well aware of "where it goes." It goes thru Golden State and Houston and nothing the Blazers can do will change that. What are you imagining as other possible scenarios?

The why have a team thing goes both ways too. If we aren't trying to win a championship... and you can't possibly argue that this roster has even a remote chance... why even bother having a team? Are we a farm team? It is certainly starting to appear that way.

The Blazers have made it out of the first round 2 times since the year 2000. I just don't get what you're afraid of. We don't need Damian and CJ to continue not winning playoff games.

great. Move the team to Seattle, let them have a farm team, we'll roll with the Timbers and the soon to be A's.
7-12-52
Senior

Post#317 » by 7-12-52 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:32 am

cucad8 wrote:
great. Move the team to Seattle, let them have a farm team, we'll roll with the Timbers and the soon to be A's.

What are you talking about? I'll be watching whether we rebuild or stay the path. You'd rather the team leave the city than attempt a legitimate rebuild? Are you a fan of the Blazers or Damian?
cucad8
Head Coach

Post#318 » by cucad8 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 am

7-12-52 wrote:
cucad8 wrote:

What are you talking about? I'll be watching whether we rebuild or stay the path. You'd rather the team leave the city than attempt a legitimate rebuild? Are you a fan of the Blazers or Damian?

I'm a fan of the Blazers. I don't see what trading Dame accomplishes, other than resetting heartache for fans. It shifts it from we're not good enough and we'll never be to...maybe we'll draft someone in the coming years as good as Dame!
7-12-52
Senior

Post#319 » by 7-12-52 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:52 am

cucad8 wrote:
7-12-52 wrote:
cucad8 wrote:

I'm a fan of the Blazers. I don't see what trading Dame accomplishes, other than resetting heartache for fans. It shifts it from we're not good enough and we'll never be to...maybe we'll draft someone in the coming years as good as Dame!

And you'd rather the team just move to Seattle than have to experience that or what?
cucad8
Head Coach

Post#320 » by cucad8 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:58 am

7-12-52 wrote:
cucad8 wrote:
7-12-52 wrote:

And you'd rather the team just move to Seattle than have to experience that or what?

hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/Submit
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers