ImageImage

CJ for ???

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Re: CJ for ??? 

Post#261 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:46 pm

I would love that Dallas deal, but I simply cant see them getting onboard. If they did, I would be estatic. Take Doncic at #5 and package 14 w/ Leonard to move down and snag Kevin Huerter or Donte DiVicenzo.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#262 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:56 pm

I'd look into CJ and #24 for Parsons and #4. If Memphis is indeed shopping the pick with him as noted around the rumor mill.

If Parsons can actually stay healthy for any legitimate time, then you've got at least another solid shooter, and someone like Doncic or another high caliber young prospect.

I'd like to sell short of moving McCollum, or maybe keep the #24. But I think that's a very fair deal for both teams value wise. I'm just not really sure why Memphis is trying to avoid blowing it up and starting over.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#263 » by Waynearchetype » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:51 am

Roy The Natural wrote:I'd look into CJ and #24 for Parsons and #4. If Memphis is indeed shopping the pick with him as noted around the rumor mill.

If Parsons can actually stay healthy for any legitimate time, then you've got at least another solid shooter, and someone like Doncic or another high caliber young prospect.

I'd like to sell short of moving McCollum, or maybe keep the #24. But I think that's a very fair deal for both teams value wise. I'm just not really sure why Memphis is trying to avoid blowing it up and starting over.

Oof
CJ isn't worth #4, but CJ for a terrible contract and #4 seems about right without the 24.
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#264 » by Roy The Natural » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:10 am

Waynearchetype wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:I'd look into CJ and #24 for Parsons and #4. If Memphis is indeed shopping the pick with him as noted around the rumor mill.

Oof
CJ isn't worth #4, but CJ for a terrible contract and #4 seems about right without the 24.

Maybe... but I'm not overly concerned with the value of #24 in such a trade. It's not a deal breaker. In a trade with these parts, #24 is by far the least important, and isn't something that you hang up the phone over. Maybe you try to grab another player with the pick that Memphis doesn't need.

Gun to my head, I'm not saying no to a deal involving the #4 pick in the draft over the inclusion of the #24 pick. Maybe add Swanigan instead of the pick if Memphis thinks they can groom him into a low level Z-Bo replacement.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#265 » by Pattycakes » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:43 am

Done. Take Bamba at 4 and refresh.
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Post#266 » by Blazers98 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:35 pm

I think this thread has shown that there are reasonable trades out there for CJ. Basically we MIGHT be able to get guys like DeRozen, Love, Fultz, Beal, or a high draft pick like #4/5. I'm sure I'm missing a few other trades in there. To be honest, I'm not sure if we are better with any of these trades, but if we do nothing, I can't see a different result than what we saw this year. To get off this treadmill, it will require taking chances.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#267 » by zzaj » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:37 pm

Blazers98 wrote:I think this thread has shown that there are reasonable trades out there for CJ. Basically we MIGHT be able to get guys like DeRozen, Love, Fultz, Beal, or a high draft pick like #4/5. I'm sure I'm missing a few other trades in there. To be honest, I'm not sure if we are better with any of these trades, but if we do nothing, I can't see a different result than what we saw this year. To get off this treadmill, it will require taking chances.

Actually, mix in a bit of Blazer injury and relative health of other Western Conference teams and the Blazers could quite easily see themselves in the lottery. That's a completely realistic way off of the treadmill, going in the wrong direction--just continue to do what they are doing.
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#268 » by Jsun947 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:22 pm

For all the people saying we should trade CJ for someone like Middleton or Love that leaves Dame as the only player on the team that can create his own shot and offense for others. That's a really bad idea...

We need to get another creator that can play with Dame & CJ.

I'm not a fan of trading CJ for a pick but the idea that Philly is going to trade for CJ before their free agency starts is crazy too me. They are basically forfeiting their chance at PG or Lebron by doing that.

Realistically there just isn't a lot of avenues for improvement this offseason.
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#269 » by Masterfully » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:10 am

Jsun947 wrote:I'm not a fan of trading CJ for a pick but the idea that Philly is going to trade for CJ before their free agency starts is crazy too me. They are basically forfeiting their chance at PG or Lebron by doing that.

Not if a trade includes Bayless. Bayless + pick + another player would mean their cap situation is hardly touched.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#270 » by Village Idiot » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:52 am

Pattycakes wrote:

Bamba is certainly intriguing but Doncic is my target at #4 or #5. Doncic would be a fantastic wing to have in that he can create shots for himself or others. His passing skills are outstanding and he has legit 30' range like Lillard. He'll be an unstoppable pick and roll player in the NBA.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#271 » by Roy The Natural » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:11 am

Village Idiot wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:

Bamba is certainly intriguing but Doncic is my target at #4 or #5. Doncic would be a fantastic wing to have in that he can create shots for himself or others. His passing skills are outstanding and he has legit 30' range like Lillard. He'll be an unstoppable pick and roll player in the NBA.

I'm not so sold on him to be honest. I think he'll be pretty good, but I'm not sold he's an all-nba talent. He just looks really slow to me.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#272 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:

I'm not so sold on him to be honest. I think he'll be pretty good, but I'm not sold he's an all-nba talent. He just looks really slow to me.

I don't know enough about Doncic to judge but I do like his height and size for a guard. I don't think I'd take him over any of Ayton, Bagley, JJJ, or Trey Young but if all those guys were taken by the time 5 came around I'd be very tempted to take at Doncic at the 5 spot if he's anywhere close to being as good as the hype
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#273 » by Village Idiot » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:40 am

Oden2 wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:Bamba is certainly intriguing but Doncic is my target at #4 or #5. Doncic would be a fantastic wing to have in that he can create shots for himself or others. His passing skills are outstanding and he has legit 30' range like Lillard. He'll be an unstoppable pick and roll player in the NBA.

I don't know enough about Doncic to judge but I do like his height and size for a guard. I don't think I'd take him over any of Ayton, Bagley, JJJ, or Trey Young but if all those guys were taken by the time 5 came around I'd be very tempted to take at Doncic at the 5 spot if he's anywhere close to being as good as the hype
Agreed that Doncic's lack of twitch is a concern. If he was quicker he would be without question the #1 pick and much more hyped that he is. His basketball IQ and passing skills are world class. I would say Ben Simmons is a comparable player. Simmons isn't a top notch athlete either, albeit better than Doncic, but he is so darned good. The thing about Doncic is that he is already a really good shooter and off the ball player whereas Simmons is useless off the ball.

Ayton and Bamba are both potential all-star caliber players but are a couple of years from being good NBA players.

Bagley and JJJ have potential to be all-star caliber players but I think both have a lot of risk. Bagley doesn't really have the size (bulk, wing-span, frame) to play in the post well (nor does hie have a good enough feeling for the game to compensate). Maybe he can develop into more of a perimeter 4 if a team has patience to develop him. I like his athleticism and drive.

The fact that JJJ only got a couple of minutes in their tourney loss to Syracuse is something I find disturbing. If a guy with his talent doesn't have the basketball IQ to be able to pick apart their zone from the high-post leaves me wondering about his potential.

Trey Young has major bust potential to me. I wouldn't pick him at 24. Seems like a typical Orlando pick

Porter Jr. - can be a fantastic scorer but his back is a major risk. I would probably take that risk though if we could get other assets as well.

Mikal Bridges is a guy whom I feel is really overrated. I don't see him being any better than Harkless or Aminu since he too lacks any dribble drive game.

To be honest I'm not that high on this years draft outside of Doncic, Bamba and Ayton in that order. If we stay at #24 there are some good guys to take a chance on like Frazier, Mitchell Robinson, Okobo, Bonga, Hutchinson, Huerter, Divincenzo or Musa

The only guy's I'd really consider moving up for (assuming Ayton to Phoenix is a done deal) and that we might be able to move CJ for are Doncic, Bamba and Porter Jr.

I don't see us able to do anything for the top 3 but if we were able to get the 14 from Denver for taking on Faried:

CJ for Parsons and #4

CJ and 14 to Dallas for Matthews and #5

CJ and 14 to Orlando for Simmons, Ross, Mack (unguaranteed) and #6
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#274 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

Agreed that Doncic's lack of twitch is a concern. If he was quicker he would be without question the #1 pick and much more hyped that he is. His basketball IQ and passing skills are world class. I would say Ben Simmons is a comparable player. Simmons isn't a top notch athlete either, albeit better than Doncic, but he is so darned good. The thing about Doncic is that he is already a really good shooter and off the ball player whereas Simmons is useless off the ball.

I'm also wary of Doncic's lack of athleticism. When you look at the elite players of the league (particularly wings), the fact is that the vast majority are insanely good athletes. I expect him to be a really good player, but just am not sure he'll live up to a lot of people's hype. I'll fully disclaim that I've only watched his highlights.

Regarding Simmons though, I am shocked with that statement. Ben Simmons is an absolute freak athlete imo. His first step for someone his size is absolutely insane, and he has out of this world speed (particularly with the ball in hand) for a big man. Also he has a mean second jump. The only thing I feel he's lacking is an amazing vert- however his vert is definitely good.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#275 » by zzaj » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Doncic is an interesting one...

I've watched every piece of footage available, including the full games before they were taken down (Now I think only vs. Latvia is still up). My take on him is that his outside shooting and shot selection will leave a bit to be desired for the first couple of years--he has a good, consistent shooting form. He's going to go to the FT line A LOT. His natural bulk is enough to fend off NBA players and get him to the line, despite his lack of elite quickness. This will be the key to his NBA success. He has a knack for rebounds and will be a good defensive rebounder. His mid range game is really where he'll excel shooting the ball...

He reminds me of a stronger, more heads up playmaking Manu...which is a very good player. At his peak I would guess he will be an 18/7/8 type player.
ETGoHome
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#276 » by ETGoHome » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:48 pm

zzaj wrote:
He reminds me of a stronger, more heads up playmaking Manu...which is a very good player. At his peak I would guess he will be an 18/7/8 type player.

That's a better more well rounded player than CJ. Doncic has the all around game that Portland needs in a sidekick for Dame. It might take a couple years for him to get there, but if he's available at 4 and Memphis is wiling to deal, I think you have to look seriously at making the trade to get him, despite having to take back a contract like Parsons.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#277 » by zzaj » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:13 pm

ETGoHome wrote:
zzaj wrote:

That's a better more well rounded player than CJ. Doncic has the all around game that Portland needs in a sidekick for Dame. It might take a couple years for him to get there, but if he's available at 4 and Memphis is wiling to deal, I think you have to look seriously at making the trade to get him, despite having to take back a contract like Parsons.

The trick is going to be defense. Despite being a good team defender, Doncic gets hung up on screens and doesn't close out all that well on his man after help defense. Which, in today's NBA are HUGE given everything is high PnR and 3pt shooting from every position. From what I've watched he has a trouble guarding 1 on 1 because of a lack of lateral quickness. So who does he guard? Most of the NBA's SGs are big PG size and have a lot of quickness...he won't be able to guard those. The SF position is all over the map, with the 3&D model currently en vogue--Doncic will give up a lot of 3s to those guys. The elite SFs are going to be elite against everyone, including Doncic. He'll get into foul trouble against the Lebrons, Kawhis, Simmons, of the world. Despite being 6'8" he's a bit undersized and not strong enough or long enough for a lot of PFs. Stretch PFs will give him trouble for the same reasons perimeter oriented SFs will...

So again, who does he guard? I think in a best case scenario, his shortcomings defensively are hidden by a strong defensive team concept, elite BBIQ and a coach who knows how to play matchups.

He'd be AWESOME as a secondary initiator on the Blazers.
ETGoHome
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#278 » by ETGoHome » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:53 pm

zzaj wrote:
ETGoHome wrote:
zzaj wrote:

The trick is going to be defense. Despite being a good team defender, Doncic gets hung up on screens and doesn't close out all that well on his man after help defense. Which, in today's NBA are HUGE given everything is high PnR and 3pt shooting from every position. From what I've watched he has a trouble guarding 1 on 1 because of a lack of lateral quickness. So who does he guard? Most of the NBA's SGs are big PG size and have a lot of quickness...he won't be able to guard those. The SF position is all over the map, with the 3&D model currently en vogue--Doncic will give up a lot of 3s to those guys. The elite SFs are going to be elite against everyone, including Doncic. He'll get into foul trouble against the Lebrons, Kawhis, Simmons, of the world. Despite being 6'8" he's a bit undersized and not strong enough or long enough for a lot of PFs. Stretch PFs will give him trouble for the same reasons perimeter oriented SFs will...

So again, who does he guard? I think in a best case scenario, his shortcomings defensively are hidden by a strong defensive team concept, elite BBIQ and a coach who knows how to play matchups.

He'd be AWESOME as a secondary initiator on the Blazers.

Defense will be a question mark. While he probably won't ever be a solid plus defender, his size gives him the ability to cover at least a few positions. CJ can really only guard 1s and 2s. Doncic should be able to guard 1-3 and maybe even some smaller 4s. I'm not saying he'll be good at it, but he'll have the size where i think he could be effectively used in a team concept, like you said. His size makes it possible to hide him on a variety of players, if it turns out that he becomes a sieve on that end, which I don't think he will be.

I'd be able to live with those shortcomings based on what he'll give on offense.
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Post#279 » by Blazers98 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:03 pm

With rumors of the 76ers not valuing Fultz, I think we could get even more from CJ. Fultz was the number one draft pick last year and it seems the only reason people are down on him is due to his injury that has now effected his shot. Long and extended injuries to a shoulder could do that. IF his shot could be corrected, he could be that same guy that was a number one draft choice just last year. To me, this is worth the risk. I think the 76ers are ready to make it to the next level and would very much covet CJ. CJ , a scorer and shooter, would be perfect for them and their shooting needs. I say we offer :

CJ for Fultz, Covington, 76ers and Miami's #1 draft pick 2019 which the 76ers own.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#280 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:01 pm

Blazers98 wrote:With rumors of the 76ers not valuing Fultz, I think we could get even more from CJ. Fultz was the number one draft pick last year and it seems the only reason people are down on him is due to his injury that has now effected his shot. Long and extended injuries to a shoulder could do that. IF his shot could be corrected, he could be that same guy that was a number one draft choice just last year. To me, this is worth the risk. I think the 76ers are ready to make it to the next level and would very much covet CJ. CJ , a scorer and shooter, would be perfect for them and their shooting needs. I say we offer :

CJ for Fultz, Covington, 76ers and Miami's #1 draft pick 2019 which the 76ers own.

they may not value Fultz that highly (I'd be concerned about why, if true); but I'm pretty sure they value Covington, a lot.

obviously if Philly is successful in chasing Lebron or PG, then Covington's value to them is quite a bit less. On the other hand, his contract sure fits that of a super-sub, and his elite defense would still have a lot of value for them

and they need a little more cap-space to make a max offer to Lebron. CJ's 25.8M salary next season is a big problem

maybe the trade would have to be more complex and involve some winking and nodding:

1) Blazers use their TPE to absorb Bayless and his 8.6M salary; and Blazers trade something like a 2025 second, top-55 protected, for one of those first round picks. Philly then uses that extra space to sign Lebron

) then it's CJ for Fultz, Covington and a 1st. And this solves Philly's problem with re-signing JJ Redick. For Philly, a Simmons-CJ-Lebron-Embid foursome is pretty impressive

for Portland, it's not revenue neutral....it adds about 1.8M in salary. But the Blazers might be able to mitigate that by buying out Bayless. And they could always buy-out and stretch him if they really had to drop salary. And, with Covington on board Portland could explore trades for Harkless. Maybe the best they could do is reduce salary but that would have pretty good value considering Portland's situation

I'm not crazy about trading an established undersized SG for an injured unproven undersized SG (the current issues would still remain), but Covington and the firsts would be a great offset. At least it would shake up the roster, and Portland needs that, IMO

but I'm pretty sure Olshey would never agree to send CJ away unless it was such a no-brain bargain he couldn't refuse or PA was holding a gun to his head. And I'd question if Philly would value CJ that much

Return to Portland Trail Blazers