ImageImage

The Official 2018 Draft Thread - Aftermath!

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

7-12-52
Senior
And1: 392

Re: The Official 2018 Draft Thread - Today! 

Post#661 » by 7-12-52 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:36 am

d-train wrote:The odd thing about Blazers team is we have been hurt by poor play-making but haven't been hurt by being small. So, being small doesn't equal good play-making or vulnerability to size. It's better to be good than big.

You say that but we have been given fits against long teams like Milwaukee. Guards like Kris Middleton, Bradley Beal, Harden all had season/ career highs this year going against CJ.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#662 » by PDXKnight » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:37 am

Can't believe diop fell to 48, would've been a nice pickup for pdx..
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#663 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:37 am

You can’t be split trade exceptions right?
Jay Allen on the radio is saying that’s a thing.
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#664 » by Wickzki » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:37 am

PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#665 » by PDXKnight » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:39 am

Metu is a good pick for SA, modern stretch 4
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#666 » by DusterBuster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:39 am

Also, can I just ask all the people complaining about how young the Blazers are getting.... isn't this what you want? Most people want the Blazers to tank and go young... well if the Blazers decide to blow it up and move Dame and CJ in the nearish future as many here want, they're gonna have a TON of under 25 talent to be build and tank with between Harkless, Nurk, Collins, Swanigan, Simons, Trent Jr and Layman (if he makes it in the league a couple more year). Practically half the roster is under 25.

Everyone is so fixated on Olshey saying he wants veteran talent for the playoffs, he's also long maintained that he wants sustainability with this roster. So as you're growing out of / finishing one generation, you can easily transition into the next because those players are already on the team and have been developed. He essentially did this on a smaller scale with CJ initially.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Wickzki
Starter

Post#667 » by Wickzki » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:41 am

I know we already drafted two guards but I want Tony Carr.

So happy that he got drafted. Gun. Gun. Gun.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#668 » by d-train » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:41 am

7-12-52 wrote:
d-train wrote:The odd thing about Blazers team is we have been hurt by poor play-making but haven't been hurt by being small. So, being small doesn't equal good play-making or vulnerability to size. It's better to be good than big.

You say that but we have been given fits against long teams like Milwaukee. Guards like Kris Middleton, Bradley Beal, Harden all had season/ career highs this year going against CJ.

Who doesn't get hurt by Harden? We do get burned by the same players that burn everyone. The big problem we have against Bucks is the Greek freak.
7-12-52
Senior
And1: 392

Post#669 » by 7-12-52 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:42 am

DusterBuster wrote:Also, can I just ask all the people complaining about how young the Blazers are getting.... isn't this what you want? Most people want the Blazers to tank and go young... well if the Blazers decide to blow it up and move Dame and CJ in the nearish future as many here want, they're gonna have a TON of under 25 talent to be build and tank with between Harkless, Nurk, Collins, Swanigan, Simons, Trent Jr and Layman (if he makes it in the league a couple more year). Practically half the roster is under 25.

Everyone is so fixated on Olshey saying he wants veteran talent for the playoffs, he's also long maintained that he wants sustainability with this roster. So as you're growing out of / finishing one generation, you can easily transition into the next because those players are already on the team and have been developed. He essentially did this on a smaller scale with CJ initially.

You can't really think people that want to blow it up just so they can get 19 year olds projected for the 2nd round? Right?!? You don't see the difference between Anfernee Simons and Luka Doncic? Really?!
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#670 » by JasonStern » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:43 am

Waynearchetype wrote:Wait for 2 future second rounders?

Jesus christ olshey

If you are looking at explaining to your boss paying $15+ million in luxury tax for a team that is not a lock for making the playoffs, who cares about two 2nd round picks?
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Vega
Pro Prospect
And1: 151

Post#671 » by Vega » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:44 am

I loved the Simons pick, I was less impressed by Gary Trent jr. Trent seems like a Swanigan style selection. A low ceiling player drafted for one specific nba skill they believe will let him immediately contribute at a journeyman level.

I’d predict they’ll follow the same arc as Collins and Swanigan. GTjr will outshine Simons in their first Summer League(and Blazers fans will claim he’s the steal of the draft) but Simons will emerge as the clearly superior talent during the season.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#672 » by PDXKnight » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:47 am

Vega wrote:I loved the Simons pick, I was less impressed by Gary Trent jr. Trent seems like a Swanigan style selection. A low ceiling player drafted for one specific nba skill they believe will let him immediately contribute at a journeyman level.

I’d predict they’ll follow the same arc as Collins and Swanigan. GTjr will outshine Simons in their first Summer League(and Blazers fans will claim he’s the steal of the draft) but Simons will emerge as the clearly superior talent during the season.

You have this all figured out before either has even played 1 nba minute?
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#673 » by PDXKnight » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:48 am

Wickzki wrote:I know we already drafted two guards but I want Tony Carr.

So happy that he got drafted. Gun. Gun. Gun.

Carr is a solid pick. There's about 10 guys in the second round I really liked this year.
Wickzki
Starter

Post#674 » by Wickzki » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:50 am

Oden2 wrote:
Vega wrote:I loved the Simons pick, I was less impressed by Gary Trent jr. Trent seems like a Swanigan style selection. A low ceiling player drafted for one specific nba skill they believe will let him immediately contribute at a journeyman level.

You have this all figured out before either has even played 1 nba minute?

It's also bleedingly obvious. Simons is a project player whereas Trent has a ready NBA skill.

I just don't see how that would be a negative.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#675 » by DusterBuster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:50 am

jeffhardyfan52 wrote:You can’t be split trade exceptions right?
Jay Allen on the radio is saying that’s a thing.

I think technically you can. You don't have to use the entirety of a TPE. So say you have a 10mil TPE and you acquire a 5mil player. You'd still have 5mil over to use before it expires. That's kind of "splitting" it.
jebdrbhjb
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#676 » by jebdrbhjb » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:54 am

Buy a pick and draft Kostas Antetokounmpo!!! Greek Freak 2.0!!!
Excuse me please, one more drink
Could you make it strong?
'Cause I don't need to think

......Dave Matthews
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#677 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:56 am

Holy **** jay Allen’s is stupid
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#678 » by DusterBuster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:56 am

jebdrbhjb wrote:Buy a pick and draft Kostas Antetokounmpo!!! Greek Freak 2.0!!!

Has there ever been a case where the brother of a NBA star was ever even close to the level of his brother?
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#679 » by DusterBuster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:57 am

jeffhardyfan52 wrote:Holy **** jay Allen’s is stupid

He's a homer because he's a franchise employee, so you gotta take what he says with a bit of salt.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#680 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:58 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Ripcity4life wrote:Trent is a great pick up and for 2 - 2nd round picks is fine with me but i am starting to wonder what the plan is or is there a dart board and olshey is closing his eyes and where the dart lands is who they pick at this point. The reason is say this is while i like both picks on there own getting 2 guards is a tad head scratching. I know Naps and Pat C are FA but still there has got to be more involving the trade exception or something.

I am starting to wonder if CJ and a trade is starting to become an option even if NeO says no but these moves kind of scream there is a chance.

I don't see what's head scratching about getting depth at the guard positions when those two positions depth literally consisted of your starters. As TSE said, Dame and CJ aren't playing 48 minutes a game for 82 games + playoffs. You need depth and quite frankly, the depth the Blazers had last year at those spots was pretty underwhelming. Shabazz showed some nice flashes, but he's so freaking streaky and if his shot is off, he's kinda a liability on the floor. Pat... well... it's Pat.

I think the Blazers guard rotation got deeper and, at the very least, more intriguing. Still a lot of summer to go and no team drastically overhauled their roster or futures tonight, at least not obviously.

They still have over $50 Million invested in their back court and if one counts Turner's minutes in the back court as
well, close to $70 Million. in my mind, guards are a dime a dozen like WR's and RB's in football for there are lots of
them out there. We badly needed a front court wing who can make an open shot.

Trent might help some next season for at least he's big enough to play some SF in a 3 guard lineup but they apparently
paid 2#2 picks + cash which is a great deal for the Kings.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers