ImageImage

Trade and transactions thread

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Trade and transactions thread 

Post#1 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Nov 1, 2018 5:18 pm

It is obvious from all the trade talks in game threads we need a thread to discuss what we would like so it will be easier to keep the conversation ongoing instead of bouncing between threads
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,519

Re: Trade and transactions thread 

Post#2 » by zzaj » Thu Nov 1, 2018 6:09 pm

I'll throw one out there, well, just because...

Portland
Outgoing: CJ, Meyers
Incoming: Ingram, Tyson Chandler (expiring)

Lakers
Outgoing: Ingram, Rondo
Incoming: CJ, Meyers

Phoenix
Outgoing: Tyson Chandler
Incoming: Rondo

...I didn't say it was a good trade.

Portland--Gets out of Meyers for an expiring and useful backup C. Trades CJ's overpay for a burgeoning player on a good deal. Obviously helps tax land...

Lakers--get shooting that they really need, and CJ to put between Ball and Lebron.

Phoenix--They get an actual PG to play defense next to Booker and set up Ayton.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#3 » by Fitz303 » Thu Nov 1, 2018 6:16 pm

I've been a huge Ingram fan for a while. I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. However, I dont think the Lakers or Blazers would, unfortunately
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#4 » by d-train » Fri Nov 2, 2018 6:05 am

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8k3xzph

Blazers trade:
Aminu and Turner - Receive Butler

Wolves trade:
Butler and Dieng - Receive Aminu and Turner

Kings trade:
Randolph - Receive Dieng

Its 10x better return for Butler than the rumored Heat deal. Wolves might have to put in additional incentive for Kings.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,867

Post#5 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Nov 2, 2018 1:43 pm

Blazers trade:

Wolves trade:

Kings trade:
Randolph - Receive Dieng

Its 10x better return for Butler than the rumored Heat deal. Wolves might have to put in additional incentive for Kings

Why would Minnesota take this deal over 4 1st round picks from Houston, even four low 1st round picks is better than this return.

But mostly, Sacramento would never do this.
d-train
RealGM

Post#6 » by d-train » Fri Nov 2, 2018 4:52 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Blazers trade:

Wolves trade:

Kings trade:
Randolph - Receive Dieng

Its 10x better return for Butler than the rumored Heat deal. Wolves might have to put in additional incentive for Kings

Why would Minnesota take this deal over 4 1st round picks from Houston, even four low 1st round picks is better than this return.

Because 4 late 1st round picks from a team that won 65 games last year, that will likely win 60 games this year without Butler, likely not net 1 player that can play ever. And, what comes with the 4 1st round picks? Rockets have to package some salary to make the deal.

I wouldn't trade Aminu and Turner for 4 late 1st round picks. Aminu is a starter and Turner is a quality rotation player on a winning team. You only get players of this quality with a late 1st round pick if you get extremely lucky.

I don't know what rumors are true and which are BS. They most likely are all BS. But, Aminu and Turner is a much better deal than the deal that was rumored with the Heat.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#7 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Nov 2, 2018 5:10 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Blazers trade:

Wolves trade:

Kings trade:
Randolph - Receive Dieng

Yea... It's not happening. It's more likely something like Aminu + Harkless + Simons + a 1st rounder that becomes a type of help now offer Portland could find palatable.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#8 » by zzaj » Fri Nov 2, 2018 8:13 pm

IMO, the reason a trade for Butler without giving up CJ isn't going to happen is because the Blazers no longer have an owner willing to spend $92M and change for only 3 players, if everything goes right and Butler decides to resign with the Blazers.

Not when the salary cap is going to be set for $109M next year...that would mean the Blazers would have to pay 12 players less than $1.5M each in order to stay under the cap. I don't know exactly how much tax the team would owe for all the players they have under contract next season + Jimmy Butler on the 5 year contract he's expected to receive, but it would have to be huge.

Any prospective owner would stay as far away from that as possible. And the Allen estate knows it...
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#9 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Nov 3, 2018 6:27 pm

[Good idea to have one thread ... and I’ll try to stick to this one.]

MINN
Butler + Dieng + Patton = CJ + Leonard + Trent Jr. (+ 1 conditional 1st rounder?)
Best player + actual center + broken, unwanted prospect center = undersized, unique scorer + misfit toy 3 shooting center + possible rotation shooting rookie.

PHX -- EDITED
Chandler bought out and off to the Lakers. No trade in the Land of the Sun.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,299

Post#10 » by NotACat » Tue Nov 6, 2018 2:34 am

Magic fan here and posted this in the NBA general trades, but wanted Portland fans' take on it:

Orlando in:
-Evan Turner
-Myers Leonard
-Anfernee Simons

Portland in:
-Evan Fournier
-Nikola Vucevic
-Brooklyn 2nd round pick 2019

For Portland
-Pick up a excellent backup C for this season while Zach Collins comes into his own
-Get a 3 who can space the floor more than Evan Turner or Mo Harkless
-Move dead money for pieces that align with their timeline
-Pick up a 2nd round pick to deal with the loss of Simons

For Orlando
-Commit to the tank at the cost of being active in FA this year
-Get a PG prospect in Simons
Black Lives Matter
d-train
RealGM

Post#11 » by d-train » Tue Nov 6, 2018 3:07 am

NotACat wrote:Magic fan here and posted this in the NBA general trades, but wanted Portland fans' take on it:

Orlando in:
-Evan Turner
-Myers Leonard
-Anfernee Simons

Portland in:
-Evan Fournier
-Nikola Vucevic

For Portland
-Pick up a excellent backup C for this season while Zach Collins comes into his own

For Orlando

It's not a bad offer but Blazers would probably prefer continuity over a trade involving so many players and not much improvement.

The deal would be more appealing if simplified. Something like Fournier and the 2nd for Turner. The biggest problem is the extra year on Fournier's deal.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#12 » by Fitz303 » Tue Nov 6, 2018 2:09 pm

NotACat wrote:Magic fan here and posted this in the NBA general trades, but wanted Portland fans' take on it:

Orlando in:
-Evan Turner
-Myers Leonard
-Anfernee Simons

Portland in:
-Evan Fournier
-Nikola Vucevic

For Portland

For Orlando

If this was last year I would have said absolutely, however, Turner is playing an important role as the playmaker for the 2nd unit, and if he gets moved this season, I'm afraid of what the bench (one of the Blazers biggest strengths) would end up doing. Vooch coming in takes minutes away from Collins as the backup Center, which I don't think the Blazers want either. Then to put Simons into it, who a lot of people in the organization seem to be pretty high on, I don't think this would work.

The value is more than fair IMO. I just don't think it's the route that Olshey would go.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,299

Post#13 » by NotACat » Tue Nov 6, 2018 2:28 pm

Fitz303 wrote:

Orlando in:
-Evan Turner
-Myers Leonard
-Anfernee Simons

Portland in:
-Evan Fournier
-Nikola Vucevic

For Portland

For Orlando

If this was last year I would have said absolutely, however, Turner is playing an important role as the playmaker for the 2nd unit, and if he gets moved this season, I'm afraid of what the bench (one of the Blazers biggest strengths) would end up doing. Vooch coming in takes minutes away from Collins as the backup Center, which I don't think the Blazers want either. Then to put Simons into it, who a lot of people in the organization seem to be pretty high on, I don't think this would work.

The value is more than fair IMO. I just don't think it's the route that Olshey would go.

Makes sense, thank you
Black Lives Matter
zzaj
General Manager

Post#14 » by zzaj » Tue Nov 6, 2018 9:39 pm

NotACat wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:

Orlando in:
-Evan Turner
-Myers Leonard
-Anfernee Simons

Portland in:
-Evan Fournier
-Nikola Vucevic

For Portland

For Orlando

Makes sense, thank you

Point counterpoint? I'd do it in a heartbeat even though Fournier's %s have been down this year. He's still a better player than "good" Evan Turner by a long shot. Vuc vs. Meyers is like Batman vs. me.

Lillard/Curry/Baldwin
CJ/Fournier/Stauskas
Harkless/Fournier/Layman
Collins/Aminu/Harkless
Nurkic/Vucevic/Swanigan

Is a much more talented and deeper team, IMO. I'd be a bit worried about strange chemistry between Nurkic and Vucevic, though...

But it'll never happen, because you've chosen two players in Turner and Meyers in which Olshey has chosen to double down on. Not to mention, apparently Collins and Nurkic being on the court together is oil and water to the Blazers for some reason.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#15 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Nov 6, 2018 11:31 pm

zzaj wrote:
NotACat wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:

Makes sense, thank you

Point counterpoint? I'd do it in a heartbeat even though Fournier's %s have been down this year. He's still a better player than "good" Evan Turner by a long shot. Vuc vs. Meyers is like Batman vs. me.

Lillard/Curry/Baldwin
CJ/Fournier/Stauskas
Harkless/Fournier/Layman
Collins/Aminu/Harkless
Nurkic/Vucevic/Swanigan

Is a much more talented and deeper team, IMO.

yeah, I agree with most of that

look at this:

assists/game: Turner-Stauskas 6.2....Fournier-Stauskas 6.5
assists/36: Turner-Stauskas 9.8....Fournier-Stauskas 9.2

and those numbers come after Turner has been given the job of facilitating the offense for the 2nd unit so he's had a lot more opportunity to generate assists. I also think it's fair to say that the Blazer 2nd unit, and Turner, have been playing well over their heads while Fournier has been in a bit of a funk to start this season. It's reasonable to expect some regression from the first and some progression from Fournier

the point being that I'd have a lot of confidence that the Curry-Fournier-Stauskas trio would be every bit as good, if not better, than the Curry-Stauskas-Turner trio in running the 2nd unit. And Fournier is just a much better player than Turner with a higher career 3ptFG% than Dame

then there is this, salary next season:

Turner + Meyers: 28.5 M
Fournier: 17M

that's 11.5M less and that's substantial margin created for Portland's cap; and with Simons (or the 2019 1st) that bumps up well over 13M in extra margin...close to 13.5M (I wouldn't much care if it was Simons or a lottery protected 1st going out)

I'd be a bit worried about strange chemistry between Nurkic and Vucevic, though...

if it's a concern then Portland can turn around and trade Vuc for an asset or two...another expiring contract would be fine if it came with a 2d round pick

But it'll never happen, because you've chosen two players in Turner and Meyers in which Olshey has chosen to double down on.

ain't that the truth, although, in the case of Meyers, that's a triple-down

Not to mention, apparently Collins and Nurkic being on the court together is oil and water to the Blazers for some reason.

I just don't get that. There's no reason at all why a Nurk/Collins pairing wouldn't work well at times. In fact, unless/until Collins seriously ratchets up his effort on the boards, him playing at C leaves Portland at a disadvantage. His rebound rate is only 8.9% right now. Andrea Bargnani had a career rate of 9.6% and he might have been the worst rebounding C in the last 30 years
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#16 » by Sinobas » Wed Nov 7, 2018 2:03 am

Orlando in:
-Evan Turner
-Myers Leonard
-Anfernee Simons

Portland in:
-Evan Fournier
-Nikola Vucevic

For Portland

For Orlando

I like Vucevic. Even if he doesn't resign, we get out of Meyers Leonard's contract. And Fournier is probably better than Turner overall.

I'd say, keep your 2nd rounder, and take a lotto protected 1st rounder rather than Simons and I'd make the deal.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,867

Post#17 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Nov 7, 2018 9:58 pm

So, with Wasington looking to potentially tear it down, what is the concensus on Harkless+Leonard+Trent Jr+2019 Lotto R1 for Otto Porter? I think it would be a great time to strike and buy low. He is overpaid, but gives us an ideal SF; not high usage, really nice defender, can hit the 3, runs the court, unselfish, can create his own at times, etc. Ideally he could take Aminu's role as our designated defender and we wouldnt have to resign him (Albeit that would suck).

But, is he a big enough upgrade over a healthy Harkless? Is his role worth the contract? I suppose his skillset is simlar to Harkless at full potential, but Mo is just so, so inconsistent and likely remains levels below Porter as a player.

Regardless, this rotation would be fun:

PG - Damian Lillard / Seth Curry / Wade Baldwin Jr
SG - CJ McCollum / Nik Stauskas / Anfrenee Simons
SF - Otto Porter Jr / Evan Turner / Jake Layman
PF - Al-Fariq Aminu / Zach Collins / Jake Layman
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Zach Collins / Myers Leonard / Caleb Swanigan
zzaj
General Manager

Post#18 » by zzaj » Wed Nov 7, 2018 10:20 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:So, with Wasington looking to potentially tear it down, what is the concensus on Harkless+Leonard+Trent Jr+2019 Lotto R1 for Otto Porter? I think it would be a great time to strike and buy low. He is overpaid, but gives us an ideal SF; not high usage, really nice defender, can hit the 3, runs the court, unselfish, can create his own at times, etc. Ideally he could take Aminu's role as our designated defender and we wouldnt have to resign him (Albeit that would suck).

But, is he a big enough upgrade over a healthy Harkless? Is his role worth the contract? I suppose his skillset is simlar to Harkless at full potential, but Mo is just so, so inconsistent and likely remains levels below Porter as a player.

I don't believe the team is going to pull the trigger on 100M in salary on just Lillard/CJ/Porter/Turner. The trade would put them hugely over the tax next season and the season after (assuming Porter takes his player option). Porter is probably a better player than both Aminu or Harkless, but not enough to make up for his salary, let alone a R1 pick.
Sinobas
Analyst

Post#19 » by Sinobas » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:16 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:So, with Wasington looking to potentially tear it down, what is the concensus on Harkless+Leonard+Trent Jr+2019 Lotto R1 for Otto Porter? I think it would be a great time to strike and buy low. He is overpaid, but gives us an ideal SF; not high usage, really nice defender, can hit the 3, runs the court, unselfish, can create his own at times, etc. Ideally he could take Aminu's role as our designated defender and we wouldnt have to resign him (Albeit that would suck).

If salary were not a factor, I think it would be a good move to swing Porter for Harkless/Leonard and either Trent or a 1st lotto protected (but not both). But the luxury tax implications are massive. Especially given that Porter would be certain to opt in to his 28 mil player option in 20-21.

As above poster said, Portland wouldn't do that for a player that is only marginally better than the 3s we have now.
Sinobas
Analyst

Post#20 » by Sinobas » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:34 am

I wonder if we could get Marc Gasol from Memphis. He's 33, and I don't see him wanting to spend the twilight of his career on a bad team. He'd be great splitting time with Nurkic at center. Memphis may trade him to avoid losing him for nothing, since they are not really in the hunt for anything now.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers