Trade and transactions thread

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Re: Trade and transactions thread 

Post#121 » by Fitz303 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:40 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:I've been away for a little bit getting settled back in Portland finally, but with the most recent names (Gordon and Prince) being batted around, I thought a trade like this could make sense for all teams involved? I'm a fan of getting both of these guys

Portland Trades: McCollum, Aminu, Leonard, 19 1st rd pick
Portland Receives: Gordon, Prince, Ross

Hawks Trade: Prince
Hawks Receive: Aminu, Blazers 1st rd pick

Magic Trade: Gordon, Ross
Magic Receive: McCollum, Leonard

This upgrades the Blazers at SF and PF, while taking a step back at SG. It also gets the Blazers under the luxury tax this year, and keeps them 22 MILLION! under the tax next season. This then allows them to package Turner's expiring with young players, and/or use the full MLE to upgrade the SG position this offseason. This has got to be a multi step process to move up to the next level. No 1 trade is getting them into real contention. This could be a good first step though.

it failed in the trade machine (Atlanta) because of the differential in salary between Aminu and Prince

how about this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8n6rgb6

Leonard + 1st to Atlanta, CJ + Aminu to Orlando, and Gordon, Ross, Prince, and Dedmon to Portland. Atlanta probably isn't interested but maybe they want a future 1st enough

personally, I'm not a fan of Gordon, especially with is contract, but this may be the type of deal that is worth a shot because Gordon can probably sustain decent trade value

Yeah I forgot to add Justin Anderson in there.. I'd do your trade as well. I'm not a massive fan of Gordon, but I do like that his contract is a decending one, and I think hes an upgrade from Aminu
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#122 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:53 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Whidhorst was on ESPN today and said the Blazers are apparently aggressive and looking to be buyers around the deadline and they're most actively shopping Aminu and Leonard. Take that for whatever it's worth.

if it's true, then they would likely be looking to clear Aminu's salary this year and/or Leonard's salary next year. Both make sense, especially if he assumption is Turner would be too expensive too move. Seems like a Vulcan directive

hard to believe they would expect anything significant for Aminu or Leonard other than salary relief.

We'll see. There's been nothing leaked about any sort of a directive one way or another from Jodie or Vulcan, outside of a small standard PR line of things being "business as usual". Maybe it's salary relief, maybe they'll try to actually get something? Aminu has had a very strong season and to his credit, Leonard has been a competent NBA player this year and only has one year left after this one, so he's far from as immovable as he has been in the past.

If the Olshey is allowed to take on some salary, Aminu and Leonard could take a contract nearing 20mil per year if there's a team that may want to clear space and get a FRP in the process.

Again though, who knows at this point. We're more in the dark with the Blazers current modus operandi than ever before.

sure....a lot of ways things can go although for the last 7 years we've heard the same thing about Portland being "aggressive" going into the deadline

Aminu has had a good year in many ways (his best overall shooting mark and his lowest turnover rate). He's actually 3rd on the team in winshares so unless the Blazers get somebody pretty substantial for him, it could really hurt Portland's seeding chances to trade him (but that's probably not a concern in Seattle). But he is Portland's one expiring contract, and trading him for a TPE would drop somewhere around 9M off of Portland's tax bill.

and yes, Meyers has had his best season as a pro. He's actually spending time playing like a big man. But he's averaging less than 15 minutes so how much credibility he has is questionable. Still, of Portland's 3 bad contracts, his has to be the most movable with the issue of Mo's knee now being a big problem. If he is moved I'd anticipate and expiring contract coming back.

the big question is if Portland is going to attach their 1st round pick to any trade
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#123 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 am

Fitz303 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:I've been away for a little bit getting settled back in Portland finally, but with the most recent names (Gordon and Prince) being batted around, I thought a trade like this could make sense for all teams involved? I'm a fan of getting both of these guys

Portland Trades: McCollum, Aminu, Leonard, 19 1st rd pick
Portland Receives: Gordon, Prince, Ross

Hawks Trade: Prince
Hawks Receive: Aminu, Blazers 1st rd pick

Magic Trade: Gordon, Ross
Magic Receive: McCollum, Leonard

This upgrades the Blazers at SF and PF, while taking a step back at SG. It also gets the Blazers under the luxury tax this year, and keeps them 22 MILLION! under the tax next season. This then allows them to package Turner's expiring with young players, and/or use the full MLE to upgrade the SG position this offseason. This has got to be a multi step process to move up to the next level. No 1 trade is getting them into real contention. This could be a good first step though.

it failed in the trade machine (Atlanta) because of the differential in salary between Aminu and Prince

how about this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8n6rgb6

Leonard + 1st to Atlanta, CJ + Aminu to Orlando, and Gordon, Ross, Prince, and Dedmon to Portland. Atlanta probably isn't interested but maybe they want a future 1st enough

personally, I'm not a fan of Gordon, especially with is contract, but this may be the type of deal that is worth a shot because Gordon can probably sustain decent trade value

Yeah I forgot to add Justin Anderson in there.. I'd do your trade as well. I'm not a massive fan of Gordon, but I do like that his contract is a decending one, and I think hes an upgrade from Aminu

I really like Gordon and think a change on scenery to a new team would do him wonders. He's been terribly mismanaged in Orlando his whole career thus far. They've done nothing but put him in positions to fail/underwhelm and he's still been productive in spite of it.

The Blazers would be a much more balanced team if they could pull off a deal that sent CJ and Aminu out for Gordon and Ross imo.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#124 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:04 am

Interestingly enough, speaking of CJ for Gordon, The Ringer actually had a full article talking about the idea by Johnathan Tjarks:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1/17/18185948/cj-mccollum-aaron-gordon-nba-trade-who-says-no

Its an interesting read, but the TL;DR version is that both guys would likely do better on the others respective teams. CJ could become a featured go-to player in Orlando and Gordon would do well to be paired with players who complement his skillset more than the Magic ever have put around him.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#125 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:31 am

whats the price for mirotic

windhorst says nop are shopping him
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#126 » by d-train » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:54 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:whats the price for mirotic

Leonard, Baldwin --for-- Mirotic

I would prefer (Leonard --for-- Markief Morris), but would take Mirotic.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#127 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:12 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:whats the price for mirotic

They obviously don't want to pay him and likely Portland wouldn't be able to afford him next year either, so likely the Blazers wouldn't give up enough to get him.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#128 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:37 am

I really would like to get my hopes up for some significant trade as I think the Blazers need some change...

but I'm skeptical. Seems like we hear that "Portland is being aggressive" every single deadline but most of the time, nothing happens. Takes two to tango of course, but if Portland was truly being aggressive I think there would have been more moves. And to me, being aggressive means shopping the top of the rotation, not the middle
d-train
RealGM

Post#129 » by d-train » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:47 am

To me, being aggressive means looking for any deal that makes the team better. It doesn't mean you make a deal for the sake of making a deal. If you can trade Lillard for LeBron, then go for it. It's hard to make any deal that makes us better because that's the other teams goal too. And, it's harder to trade Lillard or CJ, than it is to trade Turner, Harkless, or Leonard.
d-train
RealGM

Post#130 » by d-train » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:13 am

Faried must have given Nets a good deal on that buyout.

Edit: He wanted to play more than he wanted the money.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#131 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:22 am

Wizenheimer wrote:I really would like to get my hopes up for some significant trade as I think the Blazers need some change...

but I'm skeptical. Seems like we hear that "Portland is being aggressive" every single deadline but most of the time, nothing happens. Takes two to tango of course, but if Portland was truly being aggressive I think there would have been more moves. And to me, being aggressive means shopping the top of the rotation, not the middle

Can't fault you there. The last "aggressive" deadline trade the Blazers made was for Nurk. It doesn't feel like a massively aggressive trade in hindsight, but when you put yourself back in the moment, it was pretty ballsy of a move considering the state of the team. It was something no one saw, he was a starter and a well liked teammate. The team was going through a disappointing season, but most every fan still expected that the Blazers were going to attempt to find some way to resign Mason in the summer. The thought of trading him really hadn't crossed many peoples mind until it happened.

But still, you're point is absolutely correct. Since then, we've heard nothing but the mantra that the Blazers are going to be super aggressive with trades, only to let out a few half-hearted farts the past couple February's.

That said, similar to what they did with Mason, I can see Olshey cashing out on Aminu fairly "aggressively". It's almost a shame that Aminu makes so little. With how good a year he's having, I think he's going to have pretty strong interest from teams. I thought the same for Ed last year, but I also failed to consider just how little teams valued his skillset. The same shouldn't be the case for Aminu given how good of a defender he is and how - unlike Davis - versatile he is.
d-train
RealGM

Post#132 » by d-train » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:36 am

The Blazers better get some mind blowing return if they trade Aminu.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#133 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:56 pm

The Blazers did not cash out on Ed Davis last year so I don't know that I see them doing that with Aminu. It would make sense, but the Blazers do not typically make sense.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#134 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:05 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:The Blazers did not cash out on Ed Davis last year so I don't know that I see them doing that with Aminu. It would make sense, but the Blazers do not typically make sense.

I think we all really underestimated how little NBA teams valued the skillset that Ed brought to teams. I know I certainly did. As good as he is, he really doesn't bring a skill that's widely coveted in todays NBA because he's fairly one-dimensional. That was bore out by his FA where he could only muster a 1 year deal at 4.4mil.

Aminu on the other hand is the kind of players teams would be highly interested in. He's a proven quality starter, he's versatile at defending multiple positions, he can hit an open 3 and is still pretty athletic. Looking at it Aminu through the hindsight of last year with Davis, I think it's fair to say there will be better trade market for Aminu.

Now, if that means they'll actually trade him, who knows... I do think the Blazers would need to get a pretty strong offer to move him. The two biggest factors that I think would hold them back from making a move with Aminu would be team chemistry and his salary. At only about 6.5 mil, Aminu's contract is pretty low, which makes matching contracts pretty tough. Guys similar to him talentwise are usually making double that, if not more. If they do find a move for Aminu, it's almost guaranteed to have to be a package deal with someone else.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#135 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:08 pm

we all know what neil olshey thinks of his picks, he values them like they are michael jordans themselves, hes real egomaniac
d-train
RealGM

Post#136 » by d-train » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:54 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:The Blazers did not cash out on Ed Davis last year so I don't know that I see them doing that with Aminu. It would make sense, but the Blazers do not typically make sense.

I think we all really underestimated how little NBA teams valued the skillset that Ed brought to teams. I know I certainly did. As good as he is, he really doesn't bring a skill that's widely coveted in todays NBA because he's fairly one-dimensional. That was bore out by his FA where he could only muster a 1 year deal at 4.4mil.

Aminu on the other hand is the kind of players teams would be highly interested in. He's a proven quality starter, he's versatile at defending multiple positions, he can hit an open 3 and is still pretty athletic. Looking at it Aminu through the hindsight of last year with Davis, I think it's fair to say there will be better trade market for Aminu.

In addition to defending 5 positions and having a decent variety of offensive skills. He can also occasionally be trusted to be the teams primary rebounder. Other than LeBron, Giannis, and Kawhi, name another player you can say this about.

I think it's a fair question to ask, do NBA GM's undervalue Davis's skillset, as limited as it is. I get Olshey's argument that it allowed a floor spacing problem that gave Lillard fewer good options. But, you wouldn't have the floor spacing issue if you had a point guard. It's the point guards job to spread the defense.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#137 » by DusterBuster » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:38 am

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2816634-blockbuster-deals-that-would-blow-up-the-nba-trade-deadline#slide4

Portland Trail Blazers Receive: Kevin Love (can't be traded before Jan. 24), David Nwaba

Cleveland Cavaliers Receive: Evan Turner, Anfernee Simons, Caleb Swanigan

After surprisingly fielding a top-10 defense last season, the Blazers had an offensive slant to their summer. While those moves have yet to make a big impact, the desire to avoid a repeat of last year's opening round—when the Pelicans correctly gambled that no one other than Damian Lillard or CJ McCollum could beat them—is obvious.

Portland's offense has jumped from 13th to eighth this season, but it still lacks shot-creators and explosive scorers beyond its high-powered backcourt. Kevin Love, who grew up in Oregon, could check both boxes whenever he's recovered from his November toe surgery.

His outlet passes can fuel Portland's transition game, his post-ups would add another bail-out option in the half court and his range would widen attack lanes for Lillard and McCollum to exploit. Love has also been an All-Star as a first option, a Finals participant as a No. 2 and a champion as a third wheel, so he'd fit wherever head coach Terry Stotts placed him on the pecking order.

And don't discount David Nwaba as merely a throw-in. Play him with either Maurice Harkless or Al-Farouq Aminu and Portland's new Big Three, and that's a ton of length, athleticism, energy and versatility coming from the supporting spots.

While the Cavs are in no rush to move Love, per Cleveland.com's Chris Fedor, his price tag and their timeline suggests they should be. Rival executives already feel Love "is available for the proverbial right price," per Stein, and that might not be as much as you'd think. As one executive told Bleacher Report's Ken Berger: "You're not getting an asset for him under any circumstances."

This isn't an asset-free offer, of course. Anfernee Simons has significant potential if a team is willing to wait, and why wouldn't the LeBron James-less Cavs be? Caleb Swanigan is a 21-year-old with a high hoops IQ and a bag of scoring tricks. Evan Turner is only signed through next season and might interest a wing-needy contender at the 2020 deadline as a veteran rental.

I'm less interested in the proposed trade deal than the idea that Love may be available for trade again soon and that he may be available for pretty cheap. If the Blazers can get Love without having to move CJ, Dame or Nurk to do it, they'd be silly not to.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#138 » by Brandon-Clyde » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:06 pm

DusterBuster wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2816634-blockbuster-deals-that-would-blow-up-the-nba-trade-deadline#slide4

Portland Trail Blazers Receive: Kevin Love (can't be traded before Jan. 24), David Nwaba

Cleveland Cavaliers Receive: Evan Turner, Anfernee Simons, Caleb Swanigan

After surprisingly fielding a top-10 defense last season, the Blazers had an offensive slant to their summer. While those moves have yet to make a big impact, the desire to avoid a repeat of last year's opening round—when the Pelicans correctly gambled that no one other than Damian Lillard or CJ McCollum could beat them—is obvious.

Portland's offense has jumped from 13th to eighth this season, but it still lacks shot-creators and explosive scorers beyond its high-powered backcourt. Kevin Love, who grew up in Oregon, could check both boxes whenever he's recovered from his November toe surgery.

His outlet passes can fuel Portland's transition game, his post-ups would add another bail-out option in the half court and his range would widen attack la. His production is declining. I might go for this dealnes for Lillard and McCollum to exploit. Love has also been an All-Star as a first option, a Finals participant as a No. 2 and a champion as a third wheel, so he'd fit wherever head coach Terry Stotts placed him on the pecking order.

And don't discount David Nwaba as merely a throw-in. Play him with either Maurice Harkless or Al-Farouq Aminu and Portland's new Big Three, and that's a ton of length, athleticism, energy and versatility coming from the supporting spots.

While the Cavs are in no rush to move Love, per Cleveland.com's Chris Fedor, his price tag and their timeline suggests they should be. Rival executives already feel Love "is available for the proverbial right price," per Stein, and that might not be as much as you'd think. As one executive told Bleacher Report's Ken Berger: "You're not getting an asset for him under any circumstances."

This isn't an asset-free offer, of course. Anfernee Simons has significant potential if a team is willing to wait, and why wouldn't the LeBron James-less Cavs be? Caleb Swanigan is a 21-year-old with a high hoops IQ and a bag of scoring tricks. Evan Turner is only signed through next season and might interest a wing-needy contender at the 2020 deadline as a veteran rental.

I'm less interested in the proposed trade deal than the idea that Love may be available for trade again soon and that he may be available for pretty cheap. If the Blazers can get Love without having to move CJ, Dame or Nurk to do it, they'd be silly not to.

Loves contract is worrisome due to the extension , his age and injury history(he has played only a handful of games thus far this season). I might go for this deal but certainly would not add much more
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#139 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:24 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:we all know what neil olshey thinks of his picks, he values them like they are michael jordans themselves, hes real egomaniac

This tweet is a pretty good counterpoint to Olshey's "overvaluing" of FRP's...

Read on Twitter

Granted, this isn't always the case, the pick the Blazers traded to when they made the deal to get Afflalo a couple years back, that ended up getting the Nuggets Malik Beasley. If you're confused who that is, you aren't alone.

That said, I just don't think you can underestimate just how valuable FRP's are to NBA teams now days.... and I don't see that as an Olshey specific issue.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#140 » by zzaj » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:44 am

Apparently, Mike Conley is available. I'd do CJ and Aminu for Conley. It'd make the Blazer backcourt very small...but unlike CJ, Conley can actually create for others AND score. He's a far better defender than CJ as well...it would actually require other teams to make adjustments to the Blazers backcourt.

Losing Aminu would hurt, but he's likely gone next season anyway. Only problem for me is Conley seems to always be hurt and he's 31...

Return to Portland Trail Blazers