ImageImage

Trade and transactions thread

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,520

Re: Trade and transactions thread 

Post#21 » by zzaj » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:34 am

Sinobas wrote:I wonder if we could get Marc Gasol from Memphis. He's 33, and I don't see him wanting to spend the twilight of his career on a bad team. He'd be great splitting time with Nurkic at center. Memphis may trade him to avoid losing him for nothing, since they are not really in the hunt for anything now.

They beat the 9-1 Nuggets tonight and are sitting at 6-4...I think they are still a fringe playoff team. The issue with Memphis has always been health. When that team is fully healthy they win...

Gasol will make 24M this year and 25.6M next year (I assume he'll take his player option). The question then becomes, who starts at Center? Gasol is still a starting quality big man and I see that as a sticking point as long as both he and Nurkic are on the same team. You could include Nurkic as part of the package, but that is sacrificing a much younger, much cheaper player for a 33-34 year old who is playing worse this year than the guy he'd be traded for.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#22 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:45 pm

I wouldnt want to move assets for Gasol. He is still a starter and it would create friction w/ Nurkic, who is hitting his stride and has a bit of a hot/cold ego that may be nicked if a center demanding the minutes Gasol would demand was brought on. Then again, he could love playing with a mentor like Marc.

Regardless, if we move assets for a consolidation as a Marc trade would imply, it should not be for a backup C, but for a starting SF or even PF.

I am not even sure if ET should be moved at this point, he is just meshing so well w/ the second unit. If anything, a package of Harkless/Myers/Picks+Prospects should be the package for a SF upgarde. Danilo would be ideal.
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#23 » by Wickzki » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:58 am

To Washington: Moe Harkless + Caleb Swanigan + 2019 1st round pick (top 10 protected)

To Portland: Markieff Morris + Troy Brown Jr
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#24 » by Sinobas » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:17 am

I wonder if the Kings would take Meyers Leonard for Zach Randolph straight up? I can see Zach filling that roll that is now played byd by Meyers/Biggie. And this is the last year of his contract. So it would free up some cap to retain some other guys who are expiring next year.
Sinobas
Analyst

Post#25 » by Sinobas » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Blazers will be about 6.5 mil below the luxury tax threshold next offseason with Aminu, Curry, Stauskas Layman and Baldwin being UFA. That 20 million per year that Olshey threw away on Leonard and Harkless would look really good at that time. If the Blazers are still rolling with a good record mid season, I would not be against packaging a 1st round pick to get rid of one of those guys.

Because I think those players who are expiring are probably better than anyone we could get in the latter part of the 1st.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#26 » by Waynearchetype » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Harkless for Skal makes some sense for both teams. Skal + Collins could be a nice floor stretching big combo and Harkless is Harkless. We'd miss him sometimes, but he and coach don't always seem to get along. It'd cut salary and Layman/Turner/Stauskas seem to be getting the bulk of SF minutes anyway.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#27 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:09 am

I'm ready to move CJ. It's time to do it. I think he brings some stuff, but he's just not really the guy for this team. I think he could pull in Aaron Gordon, maybe it needs a smidge of incentive, but I think something along these lines should be done. Yes Portland will lose some offense from him, but I tire of his game.

He seems pretty much at his averages other than 3 point shooting, but it feels like outside the Bucks game, his averages are just completely ineffectively being achieved. He's not hitting shots when he needs to, and his play at the rim has been abysmal. I know it's early in the season, and he probably will improve as the year goes on in some areas, but I just don't really like him in the starting unit on this team, and I don't want him isoing with the bench. He gets 20 points half the time, and you sit there wondering where those points even came from.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#28 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:37 am

Roy The Natural wrote:I'm ready to move CJ. It's time to do it. I think he brings some stuff, but he's just not really the guy for this team. I think he could pull in Aaron Gordon, maybe it needs a smidge of incentive, but I think something along these lines should be done. Yes Portland will lose some offense from him, but I tire of his game.

He seems pretty much at his averages other than 3 point shooting, but it feels like outside the Bucks game, his averages are just completely ineffectively being achieved. He's not hitting shots when he needs to, and his play at the rim has been abysmal. I know it's early in the season, and he probably will improve as the year goes on in some areas, but I just don't really like him in the starting unit on this team, and I don't want him isoing with the bench. He gets 20 points half the time, and you sit there wondering where those points even came from.

he's a 6'3 SG who takes a lot of shots

two big problems is that he has the ball in his hands a lot (most dribbles/possession in the league last year) but he doesn't include teammates in his ball-dominance

look at his assist/36 numbers over the last 4 seasons:

2015-16 - 4.4
2016-17 - 3.7
2017-18 - 3.3
2018-19 - 2.7

that's a bad trend-line for somebody who's been averaging over 18 FGA's a game and is so ball-dominant. It rarely helps the team. Just like against the Pelicans in the playoffs: he had great numbers in the series but it didn't carry the team anywhere. If Dame has great numbers, he's carrying the Blazers to wins. CJ. not so much

and of course, there's CJ's lousy defense

but we all know that Olshey will never trade CJ; CJ's untouchable
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#29 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:06 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:I'm ready to move CJ. It's time to do it. I think he brings some stuff, but he's just not really the guy for this team. I think he could pull in Aaron Gordon, maybe it needs a smidge of incentive, but I think something along these lines should be done. Yes Portland will lose some offense from him, but I tire of his game.

he's a 6'3 SG who takes a lot of shots

two big problems is that he has the ball in his hands a lot (most dribbles/possession in the league last year) but he doesn't include teammates in his ball-dominance

look at his assist/36 numbers over the last 4 seasons:

2015-16 - 4.4
2016-17 - 3.7
2017-18 - 3.3
2018-19 - 2.7

that's a bad trend-line for somebody who's been averaging over 18 FGA's a game and is so ball-dominant. It rarely helps the team. Just like against the Pelicans in the playoffs: he had great numbers in the series but it didn't carry the team anywhere. If Dame has great numbers, he's carrying the Blazers to wins. CJ. not so much

and of course, there's CJ's lousy defense

but we all know that Olshey will never trade CJ; CJ's untouchable

I agree. I do think he's capable of being a lesser Kyrie Irving type player as a lead guard and netting about 5 assists a game. I also still believe that he'd look a lot better with a team without a scoring point guard. But, outside of the Bucks game this year, I've just haven't noticed him doing "winning" things on the basketball court. As you said, he can have great games, and they don't seem to have a major impact on the team winning or losing.

Part of this, in my view, is because the team gives up a lot by starting him at the 2. Even when his guy isn't going off, it's creating defensive mismatches that cause cascading defensive failures. He's not the reason we lost tonight, but he's just not the right fit on this team, and I'd feel more comfortable upgrading parts of the team that need offensive versatility and having his backups fill in, then I am continuing to trot out the current lineup.... regardless of current play.

For example, the darling trade of Aaron Gordon for CJ... in this case let's just say it's straight up.

Lillard
Layman
Gordon
Aminu
Nurkic

You could possibly replace Layman with Stauskas or Curry if either begins to separate themselves feels like a more balanced lineup with more possibilities. There are games that they will probably lose that CJ could help them win, and there are games they'll probably win that CJ wouldn't have helped in. The thing here is, the current Blazer's roster is finally not so devoid of shooting that losing CJ for the sake of balance is catastrophic..... well, and CJ isn't really hitting from deep at the rate that he needs to as well.

I like that starting lineup a lot more than our current one to be honest. Switching 2 through 4 is possible, every player 1 through 4 is more than capable of knocking down an open 3. If Harkless comes back and plays like he did down the stretch last year, you could probably plug him in at the 2 and have all that extreme length that everyone always loves on these boards.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#30 » by MoMM » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:37 pm

I'm a Orlando Magic fan and I personally I'd accept a deal around McCollum and Aaron Gordon. We need some backcourt and you need some frontcourt, it makes sense for both teams, IMO. Since we are not in win-mode, we would accept some young players or draft picks and send some useful veterans to match the salaries.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#31 » by Dame Lizard » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:42 pm

MoMM wrote:I'm a Orlando Magic fan and I personally I'd accept a deal around McCollum and Aaron Gordon. We need some backcourt and you need some frontcourt, it makes sense for both teams, IMO. Since we are not in win-mode, we would accept some young players or draft picks and send some useful veterans to match the salaries.
Sign me up to this please.

I think CJ can be a nice main guard on another team, but I've been over the Dame and CJ backcourt for a while now, and we ain't trading Dame.
Sinobas
Analyst

Post#32 » by Sinobas » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:02 pm

MoMM wrote:I'm a Orlando Magic fan and I personally I'd accept a deal around McCollum and Aaron Gordon. We need some backcourt and you need some frontcourt, it makes sense for both teams, IMO. Since we are not in win-mode, we would accept some young players or draft picks and send some useful veterans to match the salaries.

I'd do CJ for Gordon straight up.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#33 » by Blazinaway » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:07 am

Dame Lizard wrote:
Sign me up to this please.

I think CJ can be a nice main guard on another team, but I've been over the Dame and CJ backcourt for a while now, and we ain't trading Dame.

another and 1 here
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#34 » by d-train » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:07 am

You can dream but no way would the Blazers trade CJ for Gordon.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#35 » by MoMM » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:44 pm

d-train wrote:

Well, it seems that at least 4 Blazers fans liked it and only you didn't. Since I'm not Magic GM, I wont discuss it any further.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#36 » by Fitz303 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:30 pm

MoMM wrote:
d-train wrote:

Well, it seems that at least 4 Blazers fans liked it and only you didn't. Since I'm not Magic GM, I wont discuss it any further.

That's just d-train's schtick. Whatever Olshey says is truth, and he loves going against the grain. I think most Blazers fans would do that at this point, but our GM likely would not
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#37 » by Waynearchetype » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:56 pm

I honestly wouldn't expect the Blazers to make any major moves without an owner. At most maybe we can move some tertiary guys for buy low candidates like Otto Porter.

A trade that doesn't work out could end up costing the franchise a lot of money in a sale.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#38 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:34 am

The best part about an Otto Porter trade is that he's overpaid. It becomes doable. From Washington's POV, they replace him with a cheaper, shorter contract version AND get other pieces/assets. Mo Harkless? Gone. Aminu? Gone. Both? Gone. Toss in Trent Jr. and 1 protected 1st. Gone and gone. Sub in Meyers Leonard? Obviously gone.

Lillard, McCollum, Nurkic -- most important players
Collins, Simons -- key players now (Collins) and the near term (Simons) ... which means no trading either of them unless the player returning for a big trade package is definitely better than Porter.

Getting a SF of Porter's value to add to the core is how Olshey earns every dime. Since Porter is the best player in the trade, pieces and assets are just part of the price. Nurkic / Collins / Porter would be a strong and long front court.
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#39 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:21 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:The best part about an Otto Porter trade is that he's overpaid. It becomes doable. From Washington's POV, they replace him with a cheaper, shorter contract version AND get other pieces/assets. Mo Harkless? Gone. Aminu? Gone. Both? Gone. Toss in Trent Jr. and 1 protected 1st. Gone and gone. Sub in Meyers Leonard? Obviously gone.

Lillard, McCollum, Nurkic -- most important players
Collins, Simons -- key players now (Collins) and the near term (Simons) ... which means no trading either of them unless the player returning for a big trade package is definitely better than Porter.

Getting a SF of Porter's value to add to the core is how Olshey earns every dime. Since Porter is the best player in the trade, pieces and assets are just part of the price. Nurkic / Collins / Porter would be a strong and long front court.

I'm going to take Simons off the key players list. He's really 50/50 at this point. I think he'll be solid, but I can't say I've seen enough to say he'll be a key player going forward.

I think Portland should keep 1 of Aminu/Harkless. I like Harkless a bit little more than Aminu, but I'd say that Harkless/Leonard/Simons makes the salary work, and a 1st rounder on top finishes it off. I think that's the trade to make. Portland will need to bring in a big body for vet min. Outside of that, the rotation looks a lot better.

Lillard/Curry
McCollum/Stauskas
Porter/Layman
Aminu - Collins/Big Body
Nurkic - Collins/Big Body

There's a weakness at the backup 5 there... but that could probably be remedied enough with a follow-up small trade if needed.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,520

Post#40 » by zzaj » Sun Dec 2, 2018 7:14 am

I'm at the point that I'd do a CJ for Porter trade, straight up.

I'll take:

Lillard/Curry/Baldwin
Stauskas/Turner/Simons
Porter/Harkless/Layman
Aminu/Zach/Swanigan
Nurkic/Zach/Leonard

over the current roster.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers