ImageImage

Game 14: Portland vs LA Lakers 7:30pm ESPN

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Re: Game 14: Portland vs LA Lakers 7:30pm ESPN 

Post#81 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:31 am

monopoman wrote:It is weird getting home announcers on a nationally televised game, I can't recall seeing this I mean usually these networks send out their own guys.

Mark Jackson nor Dave Pasch doesn't works for the Lakers...The Lakers announcing team is Bill McDonald and Stu Lantz on Spectrum Sports .
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#82 » by monopoman » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:34 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
monopoman wrote:It is weird getting home announcers on a nationally televised game, I can't recall seeing this I mean usually these networks send out their own guys.

Mark Jackson nor Dave Pasch doesn't works for the Lakers...The Lakers announcing team is Bill McDonald and Stu Lantz on Spectrum Sports .

Oh, you could have fooled me with how much praise they were giving the Lakers every 2 seconds. It seems like they were bored with the game and eager to discuss anything else anytime the Blazers had a nice lead.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#83 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:32 am

monopoman wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:

Oh, you could have fooled me with how much praise they were giving the Lakers every 2 seconds. It seems like they were bored with the game and eager to discuss anything else anytime the Blazers had a nice lead.
I agree but that's always been Jackson's MO...honestly man I don't listen to the actual broadcast because all of ESPN announcers suck.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#84 » by Wickzki » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:45 am

I can't believe they persist playing Zach Collins - Mr Fairy Princess - 0 rebounds in almost 16 minutes when Meyers gets 7 points and 6 boards in a little over 8 minutes.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#85 » by Sinobas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:32 pm

I turned the game off at halftime and am glad I didn't bother to watch the 2nd. I could tell by the 2nd quarter that the Blazers didn't have it tonight. And when you get Lonzo freakin' ball to bury back to back 3s against you, it's time to call it a night.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#86 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:16 pm

The Blazers looked pretty lethargic and missing energy to start the game. And when LBJ is playing like prime LBJ, your not going to win a game unless everything is clicking.

CJ was terrible and is looking more like Crawford every day. Dame was too deferral IMO. The bench unit didn't show up, and we need them to play at least average to have a chance. Scotts playing Turner with the starters NEVER works. Zach and Nurk were on the court together at times, that I liked.

I can't believe they persist playing Zach Collins - Mr Fairy Princess - 0 rebounds

Zach was literally playing good-to-decent defense on guys like Stephenson. He was playing far away from the basket and guarding forwards. Rebounds dont mean much when he is that far from the rim. But he does need to get more functional weight on him. I think he has been tremendous so far this season, even with the poor rebounding.

If Portland is a legit top 3 western team, and IMO we have the parts to be that team, then we need to win games like this. CJ cant play like a max contract Jamal Crawford, we need to come out with more enegry and the bench cant take the night off.

I too like the play of Layman. Hustles, plays good defense, capable 3PT shooter. He needs to find a way to score outside the 3 to become a re-sign worthy player. If he can start making some baskets off cuts and remains a 40+ 3PT guy he should project as a nice rotation worthy backup SF/PF.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#87 » by Sinobas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:10 pm

50% of our losses on the season have come at the hands of the god damn Lakers.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#88 » by zzaj » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:59 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:The Blazers looked pretty lethargic and missing energy to start the game. And when LBJ is playing like prime LBJ, your not going to win a game unless everything is clicking.

CJ was terrible and is looking more like Crawford every day. Dame was too deferral IMO. The bench unit didn't show up, and we need them to play at least average to have a chance. Scotts playing Turner with the starters NEVER works. Zach and Nurk were on the court together at times, that I liked.

I can't believe they persist playing Zach Collins - Mr Fairy Princess - 0 rebounds

Zach was literally playing good-to-decent defense on guys like Stephenson. He was playing far away from the basket and guarding forwards. Rebounds dont mean much when he is that far from the rim. But he does need to get more functional weight on him. I think he has been tremendous so far this season, even with the poor rebounding.

If Portland is a legit top 3 western team, and IMO we have the parts to be that team, then we need to win games like this. CJ cant play like a max contract Jamal Crawford, we need to come out with more enegry and the bench cant take the night off.

I too like the play of Layman. Hustles, plays good defense, capable 3PT shooter. He needs to find a way to score outside the 3 to become a re-sign worthy player. If he can start making some baskets off cuts and remains a 40+ 3PT guy he should project as a nice rotation worthy backup SF/PF.

In defense of Collins, I counted 3 times where he had great box outs of Laker players so his teammates could get rebounds. But absolutely agreed that he needs to get better as a rebounder.

Also agreed that in order for this team to be better than last year's team Zach, Stauskas, Curry, Aminu and Turner need to play more efficiently in their minutes.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#89 » by PDXKnight » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:15 pm

I HAte the lakers but hopefully they’re good enough to beat GS..
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#90 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Wickzki wrote:I can't believe they persist playing Zach Collins - Mr Fairy Princess - 0 rebounds in almost 16 minutes when Meyers gets 7 points and 6 boards in a little over 8 minutes.

BlazersBroncos wrote:Zach was literally playing good-to-decent defense on guys like Stephenson. He was playing far away from the basket and guarding forwards. Rebounds dont mean much when he is that far from the rim. But he does need to get more functional weight on him. I think he has been tremendous so far this season, even with the poor rebounding.

zzaj wrote:In defense of Collins, I counted 3 times where he had great box outs of Laker players so his teammates could get rebounds. But absolutely agreed that he needs to get better as a rebounder.

my favorable view of Collins has increased a lot. His defense has improved and his shooting efficiency has jumped way way up. That said, I wouldn't call what he's done "tremendous"...that seems like a pretty big stretch

what he is is a young big man with some skills like rim protection and fast-twitch athleticism who has a lot of needed development ahead. And the main area of development has to be in those areas normally associated with big men: rebounding and strength in floor position. His rebounding has been bordering on terrible. He only has a 10.1% rebound rate at this point. That ranks 55th of 63 qualified' PF's in the league, and in that case, he's tied with 6'6 Jae Crowder who for some reason is considered a PF. That rate would also rank him 43rd among 46 C's

but it's not just rebounding. He's way too easily redirected by physicality on both ends of the floor. Bigger men push him around consistently. Last night, whenever he was matched up against MaGee or Chandler, they simply went wherever they wanted and Zach just bobbed along in their wakes

at the very least we need to slow our rolls around here about Zach being DPOY or replacing Nurkic.

as far as Zach switching onto perimeter players and being out of rebound position....Aminu does that all the time yet his rebound rate is 43% higher than Zach's
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#91 » by d-train » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:08 pm

I have seen physically strong skinny players. But, I have never seen an inadequately strong (don't want to say weak) skinny player ever become strong. I think Zach is always going to have strength issues. He is also very aggressive and fights hard. He needs to use his assets to work around his weaknesses.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#92 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:20 pm

I have seen physically strong skinny players. But, I have never seen an inadequately strong (don't want to say weak) skinny player ever become strong. I think Zach is always going to have strength issues. He is also very aggressive and fights hard. He needs to use his assets to work around his weaknesses.

His rebouning issues are just another one of the many reasons that Zach should be seen as this teams PF long term.
Khazim
Veteran
And1: 114

Post#93 » by Khazim » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Wickzki wrote:I can't believe they persist playing Zach Collins - Mr Fairy Princess - 0 rebounds in almost 16 minutes when Meyers gets 7 points and 6 boards in a little over 8 minutes.

There is this thing called "boxing-out". It's a basketball maneuver in which one blocks an opponent from acquiring the rebound. Often times this results in the player performing the box-out to not be able to obtain said rebound, however opens up the opportunity for teammates. It's also known as the "Robin Lopez" effect.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." — Frank Zappa
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#94 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:35 am

Khazim wrote:

There is this thing called "boxing-out". It's a basketball maneuver in which one blocks an opponent from acquiring the rebound. Often times this results in the player performing the box-out to not be able to obtain said rebound, however opens up the opportunity for teammates. It's also known as the "Robin Lopez" effect.

Portland's on-court/off-court rebounding rates with various bigs:

Aminu

On Court 54.9%
Off Court 51.9%

Nurkic:

On Court 55.6%
Off Court 51.6%

Meyers:

On Court 53.9%
Off Court 53.7%

Zach:

On Court 52.0
Off Court 55.0

Robin Lopez (2013-14):

On Court 52.3
Off Court 50.4

boxing out has some fundamental value, but ultimately, if the one boxing out doesn't get the rebound it is left up for grabs. When a big who splits time between C and PF only has a 10% rebound rate, you'll get results like above. I think you guys may be overrating the impact of Zach's boxing out ability
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#95 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:56 am

unlike aminu, nurk always had tendency to let teammate grab the rebound, rather than going strong to grab it himself... aminu is really greedy when it comes to rebounding, he steals rebounds from nurk all the time
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#96 » by zzaj » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:43 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:unlike aminu, nurk always had tendency to let teammate grab the rebound, rather than going strong to grab it himself... aminu is really greedy when it comes to rebounding, he steals rebounds from nurk all the time

Although last night I remember one specific time when both Aminu and Nurkic came down with the ball and Aminu conceded the rebound to Nurkic--smalls concede rebounds to bigs like they teach you in high school.

I would say that Aminu is one of the beneficiaries of the box outs of the centers on the team. He's also really good at quick jumping and getting the rebounds right at the rim. Neither Nurkic or Zach really have that skill. Nurkic is better at carving out space with his body and getting rebounds in his area. He's particularly bad at getting rebounds out of his area.

Any time a help defender comes over to help on defense (Zach in particular ends up helping on deep penetration a lot) that player is going to be out of position for rebounds.

Zach is young and still needs to put on a little weight to help with many facets of his game...Rebounding being one of them. Nurkic is simply a bit too slow and unathletic to really compete for rebounds out of his area.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers