Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,838

Re: Game 39: Portland vs OKC 7:30pm SNW/ESPN 

Post#21 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Jan 5, 2019 5:56 am

Moonbeam wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:I think I'd like to start a game log of how often CJ passes to Nurkic.

You want a ghost thread?

Hm. Let's consider that after the next couple games. I just noticed during tonight it seemed like he actively passes AWAY from Nurk even if Nurk is open. But it could be my imagination.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#22 » by monopoman » Sat Jan 5, 2019 5:57 am

Good news, everyone the ridiculous stat that this team has yet to lose a game when leading after 3 and win a game when losing after 3 holds up yet again! :D

If this holds up the entire 82 game season I have a feeling it will be a first in the history of the NBA. I'm sure most teams trend towards winning more games they are winning after 3 and vice versa, but to go that way for an 82 game season at 100% accuracy very hard to do.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#23 » by Roy The Natural » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:00 am

Man... CJ is completely playing himself into untradable territory.... and not the good kind. Portland just sat on their hands for 2 years while this guy has developed into a poor man's Jamal Crawford with an eternal green light to chuck the team into oblivion.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#24 » by Moonbeam » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:08 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:I think I'd like to start a game log of how often CJ passes to Nurkic.

You want a ghost thread?

Hm. Let's consider that after the next couple games. I just noticed during tonight it seemed like he actively passes AWAY from Nurk even if Nurk is open. But it could be my imagination.

It is frustrating, isn’t it?!
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#25 » by Moonbeam » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:08 am

Hopefully Portland can rekindle that first half magic against Houston. Onward and forward!
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#26 » by Shem » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:14 am

Roy The Natural wrote:Meyers Leonard is still awful... the guy still doesn't know what's going on about half the time on the floor.

And I've noticed that Collins hasn't played as well when playing next to him. Collins plays his best ball without Meyers in the game.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#27 » by Roy The Natural » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:16 am

Shem wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:Meyers Leonard is still awful... the guy still doesn't know what's going on about half the time on the floor.

And I've noticed that Collins hasn't played as well when playing next to him. Collins plays his best ball without Meyers in the game.

True... Leonard is just completely clueless on defense about 50% of the time down the floor. He's a freaking bonehead.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#28 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:18 am

zzaj wrote:Blazers look tired. Is Lillard still sick?

maybe not sick but it sure looked like he had no stamina to close out the 3rd Q

How many years has it taken for Stotts and the coaching staff to find an answer to teams that blitz the PnR? It really shouldn't be this hard...as soon as the the Thunder started attacking the PnR they made the Blazers look like a high school team.

they did it strategically too....they waited till the last 2 or 3 minutes of the 3rd before they went full-pelican, took advantage of a tired Dame, and his teammates that have no clue about giving Dame outlets from the hard trap. OKC outscored the Blazers 15-5 in the last 3 minutes of the 3rd Q. Portland goes from leading by 4 to trailing by 6, and they are now 0-17 when they trail at the end of 3

game-set-match
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#29 » by zzaj » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:27 am

Frustrating loss...I'm still not entirely sure Lillard is over his Flu--he sure looked spent out there.

Until the Blazers have an answer for teams that blitz the PnR consistently, these are the results we'll get. The MO is out on the Blazers, and it's been out for at least a couple of years--Blitz the PnR and it gets the ball out of the hands of the Blazer's best scorer (ending with shots like Aminu threes).

Once the ball is out of Lillard's hands, the next best scoring option is CJ and he typically takes low efficiency shots that are well guarded. Teams will live with that...after that it's crickets. Blitzing the PnR also takes Nurkic completely out of his passing role which the Blazes have been having some success with...and Nurkic doesn't have the skill to attack the defense with the ball in his hands from the perimeter.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#30 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:33 am

over the last 9 games:

if you take out CJ's performance against Philly, in those other 8 games CJ scored 120 points on 138 FGA's.

That's 0.87 points/shot. Blazers as a team have averaged 1.24 points/shot. Blazers as a team minus CJ have averaged 1.26 points/shot. CJ is averaging 1.15 points/shot while ranking 7th on the team in assists/36
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,838

Post#31 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:38 am

Wizenheimer wrote:over the last 9 games:

if you take out CJ's performance against Philly, in those other 8 games CJ scored 120 points on 138 FGA's.

That's 0.87 points/shot. Blazers as a team have averaged 1.24 points/shot. Blazers as a team minus CJ have averaged 1.26 points/shot. CJ is averaging 1.15 points/shot while ranking 7th on the team in assists/36

Those are some.. not great stats.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#32 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:45 am

Too bad Lillard missed that 3rd free throw. The last possession could have been exciting.

Did the Blazers panic? I dont know why Lillard took the shot so early. Then when CJ got the ball, he took a quick shot with like 5 seconds left. He could have drove for. Better shot or dish to a perimeter shooter for the win. I know, CJ doesn't pass.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
monopoman
RealGM

Post#33 » by monopoman » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:46 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Too bad Lillard missed that 3rd free throw. The last possession could have been exciting.

Did the Blazers panic? I dont know why Lillard took the shot so early. Then when CJ got the ball, he took a quick shot with like 5 seconds left. He could have drove for. Better shot or dish to a perimeter shooter for the win. I know, CJ doesn't pass.

It's usually better to get a shot up as quickly as possible with time running down assuming the team is losing, that way if you get an offensive rebound you have another look. Obviously taking a god awful shot isn't worth it, but I just mean overall if down 3-4 best to get that shot up quick.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#34 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:55 am

Typically, they've gone for the shot with about 6-7 seconds to go. Seemed like Lillard went early and took a bad shot. I thought he was going to fish it to someone.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#35 » by zzaj » Sat Jan 5, 2019 7:03 am

You know who I kinda feel bad for? (don't laugh)

Aminu.

Dude has reigned in his insane, full court, 1 vs many drives off of rebounds...worked on and succeeded at becoming a more consistent 3pt threat in order to make the offense run better...often gets the most difficult defensive assignment...has quietly become the Blazers second best rebounder that almost never gets much credit on that end...

Aminu deserves to be a role player on a contending team. He would thrive with great players around him.
monopoman
RealGM

Post#36 » by monopoman » Sat Jan 5, 2019 8:15 am

zzaj wrote:You know who I kinda feel bad for? (don't laugh)

Aminu.

Dude has reigned in his insane, full court, 1 vs many drives off of rebounds...worked on and succeeded at becoming a more consistent 3pt threat in order to make the offense run better...often gets the most difficult defensive assignment...has quietly become the Blazers second best rebounder that almost never gets much credit on that end...

Aminu deserves to be a role player on a contending team. He would thrive with great players around him.

I agree I like what Aminu has been doing this season, I'm sure he will get his shot on a contending team someday.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#37 » by Revived » Sat Jan 5, 2019 8:26 am

Wizenheimer wrote:over the last 9 games:

This is why I think Portland should be in the Bradley Beal sweepstakes. CJ is probably a better player than most other teams can offer Washington....plus add some picks/incentives and you never know.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#38 » by Blazinaway » Sat Jan 5, 2019 2:36 pm

I have no isue with jettisoning CJ but Lillard played a stinker game last night with his forced 3's from Gresham to his many dumb TO's
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#39 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sat Jan 5, 2019 3:10 pm

i believe certain people didnt see any problem with the last nights game, which was the same **** that happens over and over

how much did we play through nurk in the second half, especially considering he was doing damage in the first half... oh i forgot, he has the same or higher usage than other centers in the league, so hes had right amount of touches... well that explains it!

also whats the point in giving him the ball closer to the sideline than to the basket... once or twice he had trouble moving adams around, thats way terry stotts needs to set cross-screens, to get nurk in a good position to work

and for gods sake, if hes used better than in denver, that doesnt mean hes used as much as he should or been used the way he should be used... but this is the guard oriented offense, guards need to get their touches, even if theyre not playing well, even if the other players are playing well
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#40 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sat Jan 5, 2019 3:13 pm

Moonbeam wrote:

You want a ghost thread?

i think somewhere before the season started, nurk had one ig post where he had hashtag: #cjpassingseason

that says it all really, i dont find it funny at all

here it is

Return to Portland Trail Blazers