Game 41: Portland vs New York 7:00pm SNW 

Post#1 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Jan 7, 2019 6:38 am

vs

Time: 7:00pm
Place: Moda Center
TV: SNW

GLB of the game Elizabeth Banks
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Re: Game 41: Portland vs New York 7:00pm SNW 

Post#2 » by ducler » Mon Jan 7, 2019 9:25 pm

Read on Twitter
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#3 » by cdubbz » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:25 am

LETS GOOOO!

Don't expect anything but domination. Knicks have nice young players but we should kill them
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#4 » by Brandon-Clyde » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:18 am

1st quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#5 » by Brandon-Clyde » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:39 am

2nd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#6 » by Shem » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:01 am

WTF am I watching right now?
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#7 » by Shem » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:01 am

I love Layman's hustle out there. But my goodness, layup, after layup, after layup, after layup... just misses...
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#8 » by Brandon-Clyde » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:22 am

2nd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#9 » by Brandon-Clyde » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:48 am

3rd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#10 » by Brandon-Clyde » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:50 am

4th quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#11 » by Moonbeam » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:58 am

It looks like Portland is on its way to a 24-win first half of the season, which would be close to the winning percentage of last year, and having faced a much tougher early-season schedule (though it has been a bit home-heavy).

It's nice when the role players are chipping in. Seth, Jake, Zach, and Meyers are all contributing out there in nice ways.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#12 » by zzaj » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:34 am

Moonbeam wrote:It looks like Portland is on its way to a 24-win first half of the season, which would be close to the winning percentage of last year, and having faced a much tougher early-season schedule (though it has been a bit home-heavy).

It's nice when the role players are chipping in. Seth, Jake, Zach, and Meyers are all contributing out there in nice ways.

It's insane to me that the second to worst team in the West is an 18-22 team. 11 of the 15 teams are within 5.5 games of each other, which I suppose is good. Parity makes for good basketball, IMO.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#13 » by Matt800 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:56 am

Moonbeam wrote:It looks like Portland is on its way to a 24-win first half of the season, which would be close to the winning percentage of last year, and having faced a much tougher early-season schedule (though it has been a bit home-heavy).

They were 22-19 last year and then 27-14 for the 2nd half of the season. Last year they lost 3 in a row at 22-19 to be 22-21 and then after that, the season started improving away from being around .500.

Yeah a lot of guys are starting to look more polished. Even CJ is making passes that I'm not sure I've ever seen him make before. Maybe his shooting issues will turn him into a more well rounded player. Layman also seems to like playing the Suns and Knicks.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#14 » by monopoman » Tue Jan 8, 2019 9:35 am

Blazers really taking care of business against the bad teams in this season, it feels like we always beat them and usually by a good margin.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#15 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Tue Jan 8, 2019 10:19 am

i dont like playing bad teams at all, those games are unwatchable, unless they have a good game... no energy from the startes whatsoever, bench did a great job... now comes another similar game against chicago

nurkic didnt looked much focused to me, got himself in foul trouble, but still got 20/8 in 19 min on 7/9 shooting
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#16 » by TheBigBoss » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:37 pm

Hey I am curious to know if you guys saw any improvements in Vonleh's game? He has had a pretty good season for us so far and I am wondering why he was a failure on Portland?
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#17 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Tue Jan 8, 2019 1:11 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:Hey I am curious to know if you guys saw any improvements in Vonleh's game? He has had a pretty good season for us so far and I am wondering why he was a failure on Portland?

i wouldnt say he was a failure at portland, but portland was a playoff team unlike ny knicks, so he didnt had that much of a freedom or minutes... from my personal perspective, he did a solid job considering what was asked from him (defend, get rebounds, get some easy buckets)... he didnt shoot threes or handle the ball like hes doing for the ny knicks, but no-one can tell if he wasnt able to do those things or it was just the way he was used

i would say it was a little bit of both, players develop through the time and they need more minutes, freedom... he got both first in chicago and now in ny knicks, so its good for him... he was let go to get under the luxury tax if im not mistaken, not cause he was bad or anything

its not my team so i dont care about the owners money, but that turned out to be a bad move!
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#18 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:23 pm

I expected us to be flat against NYK, and we were. We played a ton of big games in the past days against good teams, and we had great enegry. This was a 'breather' type game and we almost let it get out of hand.

Nurkic is pretty phenominal to watch. Even while hampered by foul trouble, and missing a few bunnies, he still put up outrageous efficiency. The bench was good tonight, not great but this type of play every night would help lots. Its clear that Layman is more useful than Nik, and that rotation switch is paying off. Myers actually had a matchup on defense where he was average rather than putrid, if he could play guys like Kanter every night he might be worth 70% of his salary instead of 50%. Harkless seemed to have a 'sleepy Hark' game, outside one nice pass to Nurkic.

Nice win against a team we should beat. Turned it on in the 4Q and made the plays we needed for the win.

Also, while PDX wasnt some shining symbol of good basketball tonight, my god do the Knicks play a sloppy game. Lord knows why that team isnt just going all in on the youth movement. They should be doing all they can to clear space for two big FA, because one big FA is going to sign there based on the space for a running mate 2nd big FA, not based on any players currently on that team outside Zinger. Its a hodgepodge of misfits and castaways for the most part, and few have long-term futures in NYK. They should be doing the Hinkie dance rather than relying on THJ for 35 minutes a game. Its got to be so frustrating for their fans.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#19 » by Epicurus » Tue Jan 8, 2019 8:30 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:Hey I am curious to know if you guys saw any improvements in Vonleh's game? He has had a pretty good season for us so far and I am wondering why he was a failure on Portland?
As mentioned, Vonleh was not a failure in Portland. Indeed two seasons ago in the last third Noah was a very solid contributor to the Blazers' surge. An injury prior to the next season, along with a gm who drafted two guys who playd the same position as Vonleh, helped to reduce the confidence he gained the previous 1/3 season. He seems to be playing for the Knicks like he did during that post-all star period two seasons ago, with even more confidence in the shooting and ball handling (a confidence the Portland coaching staff wished he could consistently display).
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#20 » by d-train » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:46 am

Vonleh was fine here in Portland. We let him go because he didn't improve our capability to win games. He had some very good skills but not enough to make a good team better. Right now, the Knicks suck. So, Knicks don't evaluate Vonleh on the basis of winning games.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers