ImageImage

2019 Offseason, June 30th 3PM PT.

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#281 » by GEE » Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 am

I know the season hasn't even ended yet, but now that I've started to listen to some of the off-season chatter, I'm starting to obsess a little.

A PF/C is what the roster above needs most IMO, and talk of Love, and (god forbid) the old version of Zion Williams, Blake Griffin have been mentioned. The guy I'm really getting sweet on is Aldridge. He tops my board right now as my first phone call if I'm Olshey, partially because he's a perfect fit, but also because he said he was interested in returning. He may WANT to be back in the "City of Roses"... Screw the Alamo.

That deal that I had mentioned a while back (maybe on a different thread), about offering up ET, Leonard and FRPs in '19 & '21 to Pop for LA, knowing it saves them about $25 million is my #1 wish today. Hell, give them '23 too. I'm dreaming that Pop and LA will have, or have had a PRIVATE discussion about this, and maybe it could have some legs. A private, and professional demand for a trade maybe? Follow that up with a return of either Vonleh or ED, and maybe another wing........................ Just dreaming
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#282 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu May 16, 2019 2:16 am

GEE wrote:I know the season hasn't even ended yet, but now that I've started to listen to some of the off-season chatter, I'm starting to obsess a little.

A PF/C is what the roster above needs most IMO, and ... The guy I'm really getting sweet on is Aldridge. He tops my board right now ... Screw the Alamo ... That deal that I had mentioned a while back (maybe on a different thread), about offering up ET, Leonard and FRPs in '19 & '21 to Pop for LA, knowing it saves them about $25 million is my #1 wish today. ... Just dreaming

I may be in the minority on this one with you. LMA wanting to play with Lillard. Nurkic out for a while next season. LMA and Collins starting at the bigs. Lillard, McCollum, Hood, and Simons ... fill in the rest ... cut a deal with a couple picks and one-year contracts. Now, this depends on LMA and San Antonio and Olshey and ... BUT LMA is the one HIGH quality guy at PF I'd want for a not unreasonable price. Get this done, Olshey!
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#283 » by DusterBuster » Thu May 16, 2019 2:41 am

GEE wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
fool me once, shame on you; fool me 37 times, shame on me

Yeah, the Blazers are never ever ever going to be a "FA destination". Playing in the Pacific NW is simply no ones dream location.

The real hope shouldn't be the Blazers turning into a FA destination, the hope should be the Blazers become an attractive destination for unhappy stars who are demanding trades. You should want a guy who's disgruntled and wanting out of his current spot to look at the Blazers as a place he would consider on his list of top spots or at the very least give some consideration to resigning at if he's traded to them.

Ideally though, the Blazers best chance for improving always will be trades, the draft and the buyout market.

I'm still cautiously optimistic that the Blazers will make some big moves this summer with their expiring deals and maybe some of the young guys or a couple picks. If the Blazers want to make a 1st rounder available, they should dangle their 2022 FRP - nearly unprotected - for teams. The hope is other teams gamble on the Blazers losing Lillard in FA and the Blazers are in full tank mode that year while the Blazers gamble is that they're pretty confident he's staying post-current-contract (which they should be at this point and time). I think if you dangle 2 FRPs, Turner's EC + a guy like Simons or maybe even Collins after his solid playoff run, I think you should potentially get back a pretty strong player.

Interesting take(s) DB... You say P-Town will never, ever ever ever be a F/A destination, and then make several cases as to why we would be. Is this the polar opposite of "agree to disagree"? Also would note that Portland, generally, has been one of the biggest destinations for ALL kinds of transplants and reclamation projects. That's the beauty of Portland... Flocks of people moving to the great NW every year... for decades now. It's not OKC!

I guess I should clarify - I mean that in terms of serious big-time FA players. For mid-range solid rotation and starters, sure you can see Portland getting those kinds of guys on FA, but cream of the crop FA's will not come to Portland if they have the likes of LA, Miami, NY, Houston, Dallas, etc to choose from. There's plenty of other reasons why the big names guys won't come here; national exposure, weather, nightlife, and high income taxes. Why would you choose to play in Portland when you can make more money (taxes), get more national exposure (bigger markets and earlier start times) and have it be a place where it's sunny and tons to do 9 months out of the year.

I get tons of people move to the PNW every year. Washington was just voted one of the best states to live in. That doesn't change the fact that whats ideal or desirable for every day person isn't the same as whats desirable for star NBA players. Hell, I'm not an NBA player and I'd kill to be back living in LA again or somewhere like Miami vs the PNW. I despise the weather up here and find most things overpriced and overrated. So when it comes to star players - where the money is gonna be the same regardless of where you sign - I can totally sympathize with any player who make have that being a serious factor in where they move to.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#284 » by DusterBuster » Thu May 16, 2019 2:44 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:
GEE wrote:I know the season hasn't even ended yet, but now that I've started to listen to some of the off-season chatter, I'm starting to obsess a little.

A PF/C is what the roster above needs most IMO, and ... The guy I'm really getting sweet on is Aldridge. He tops my board right now ... Screw the Alamo ... That deal that I had mentioned a while back (maybe on a different thread), about offering up ET, Leonard and FRPs in '19 & '21 to Pop for LA, knowing it saves them about $25 million is my #1 wish today. ... Just dreaming

I may be in the minority on this one with you. LMA wanting to play with Lillard. Nurkic out for a while next season. LMA and Collins starting at the bigs. Lillard, McCollum, Hood, and Simons ... fill in the rest ... cut a deal with a couple picks and one-year contracts. Now, this depends on LMA and San Antonio and Olshey and ... BUT LMA is the one HIGH quality guy at PF I'd want for a not unreasonable price. Get this done, Olshey!

I don't think it's much of a minority. I think most Blazer fans would welcome Aldridge back into this group. He'd be ideal with Portland's roster since they remade it after he left. As interested as I am in getting Love, I'd actually take Aldridge over Love - all things being equal. I trust LMA to stay health over the course of a season a lot more than I trust Love.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#285 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 16, 2019 5:23 pm

LMA would be absolutely ideal but IDK if SAS, especially Pops, would be willing to move him for a rebuild package.

They would almost certainly want Zach, and I don't think we should make a panic move once we lose the WCF and stupidly move Collins. He is going to be a tremendous role player.

Maybe they would be interested in Aminu in a S&T? Something like Al-Fariq Aminu (S&T 4/40), Evan Turner, 2019 R1, 2020 Lotto Protected R1 for Aldrige?

Just don't think we have the assets to get Aldridge done.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#286 » by DusterBuster » Fri May 17, 2019 1:19 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:LMA would be absolutely ideal but IDK if SAS, especially Pops, would be willing to move him for a rebuild package.

They would almost certainly want Zach, and I don't think we should make a panic move once we lose the WCF and stupidly move Collins. He is going to be a tremendous role player.

Maybe they would be interested in Aminu in a S&T? Something like Al-Fariq Aminu (S&T 4/40), Evan Turner, 2019 R1, 2020 Lotto Protected R1 for Aldrige?

If Collins only tops out at being a high level role player, you trade him if you're getting an All Star back, even if its an older AllStar.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#287 » by Roy The Natural » Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 am

DusterBuster wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:LMA would be absolutely ideal but IDK if SAS, especially Pops, would be willing to move him for a rebuild package.

If Collins only tops out at being a high level role player, you trade him if you're getting an All Star back, even if its an older AllStar.

Depends... I think Collins will be a "role player" with fringe all-star" impact at some point. Like Al Horford.

For me... here's what needs to happen this offseason, or at least... what I hope happens this offseason:

Blazers are currently sitting at 126.7M in obligations... and the estimated luxury tax is slated for 132M.

I'd assume Curry declines his player option as I think he can get a decent deal elsewhere next year. Which is fine with me. I like him, but I think Simons is ready for an expanded role, and I think he will score well next year, and as long as he tries hard on defense... I think he'll end up an upgrade overall. Simons is REALLY talented IMO.

Let Aminu walk... it's time for Collins to take his minutes. Aminu is just far too often a disaster on the court, and he's just not a smart basketball player. Time to move on.

Let Kanter walk unless he's down for a minimum, or room exception.

Do what you can to move Turner with picks for at least 8M-10M in cap savings.

Offer Hood full MLE for either one year or full 4 years. His choice. If he wants to bet on himself, I believe that we get bird rights with him under contract for 1 more year.

Put forward the QO for Layman. I don't think he'll demand much, and is worth signing for the price he'll probably command.. maybe 2-3 years $15M total?

I'd like the start of next year to look like:

Lillard/Simons
McCollum/Simons/Hood
Harkless/Hood/Layman
Collins/Harkless/Skal
(Turner trade?)/Collins/Leonard

and by the end of the year

Lillard/Simons
McCollum/Simons/Hood
Harkless/Hood/Layman
Collins/Harkless/Skal
Nurkic/Collins/(Turner trade?)

Some of the players being matchup dependent.

But I think that Hood has a lot of potential to play confident, and make an impact with Portland. I think Collins will continue to improve, and I especially expect his shot to improve going forward. I think Simons is read. Trent may get spot time as a spotup shooter. Layman is worth a shot if he comes cheap enough. Skal could get some burn next year, as I think he's got range with his jumpshot, and could be a rangey defensive player if he can get locked in on that end.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#288 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri May 17, 2019 2:38 pm

when it comes to our free agents, rodney hood should be priority this off-season... id like to keep enes kanter too, but if we can keep one of them, id choose rodney hood! he can score 3-pointers and can score from the mid range, can create his own shot, so thats good enough for me... we might be in trouble without nurk (and kanter), but so be it... id rather think long term, kanter wont be much needed when nurk comes back

rodney hood wants to be here, so lets hope hes willing to take less money to make that possible, or that neil olshey does same magic and frees some cap space... it would really suck if we lose both hood and kanter (i dont care about seth curry, i want to see anfernee get regular minutes)
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Post#289 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri May 17, 2019 8:27 pm

I'd like to see if we can somehow trade Turner and something plus a first round pick into Otto Porter Jr. He'd be so great on this team.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#290 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri May 17, 2019 9:37 pm

What if Portland took LMA and Mills with expiring contracts of Turner, Harkless, and Leonard. It would save the Spurs a minimum $20 million. The Spurs would have to want to rebuild, which I'm not convinced of given their past 20 years.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#291 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri May 17, 2019 10:07 pm

as long as pop is the coach, rebuild is not an option and theres no way they trade lamarcus aldridge

they will have dejounte murray back next season and lonnie walker will be in the rotation probably, so that will be a good team
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#292 » by Fitz303 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:02 pm

T.J. Warren for Turner and the 25th pick. That would give the Blazers a backup 4/3, save the Blazers 8 Million this year, allow them to re-sign Hood with the MLE, and likely stay under the luxury tax

Something similar to this was posted on the PHX board. If Phoenix is trying to cut some long term dollars, make some room for Bridges, and get a late 1st for their troubles, it could make sense for both teams.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#293 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat May 18, 2019 1:26 am

Fitz303 wrote:T.J. Warren for Turner and the 25th pick. That would give the Blazers a backup 4/3, save the Blazers 8 Million this year, allow them to re-sign Hood with the MLE, and likely stay under the luxury tax

Something similar to this was posted on the PHX board. If Phoenix is trying to cut some long term dollars, make some room for Bridges, and get a late 1st for their troubles, it could make sense for both teams.

Being here in AZ, TJ Warren is the guy I'd want on the Blazes. Old school game. Underrated and understated game. Has developed a 3 point stroke. Would fit really well and only 25. More would need to go out given his recent increases in production. With Hood at SG/SF? I'm good with that.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#294 » by Wizenheimer » Sat May 18, 2019 4:24 am

Fitz303 wrote:T.J. Warren for Turner and the 25th pick. That would give the Blazers a backup 4/3, save the Blazers 8 Million this year, allow them to re-sign Hood with the MLE, and likely stay under the luxury tax

the guy seems to be an injury magnet though. Worse is he's lost a lot of games from back issues...that's pretty scary. He missed 39 games this year and 108 over the last 4 seasons....yeeeeesh

as for staying under the tax, this would put Portland at somewhere between 119-120M with 10 players. Signing Hood for the MLE puts them at 128-129M with 11 players. Aminu is allowed to walk, right?

3 vet minimum players would be close to 5M, so they'd be over the tax line a little. Since the Blazers would be hard-capped, they could have as few as 12 players IIRC (I think that's a CBA rule), so theoretically they could stay below the tax line but it would be really tight

Maybe they could sign Hood for 6M and use the remaining 3M on another decent player. That would add a little more depth

still, it would be better if they could bring back both Kanter and Hood using tax-MLE and non-Bird but I think Hood has elevated his free agent value too high. Hell, Denver might even offer him the full-MLE considering what he did to them in the playoffs
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#295 » by GreenRiddler » Sat May 18, 2019 5:32 am

We need to do everything we can to bring back Hood. He is that 12-15ppg guy we desperately need outside of Dame CJ and Nurk. I don't know what we'll do about surviving the regular season without Nurk but we must bring Hood back no question.

He is our 1st 2nd and 3rd priority this summer.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,527

Post#296 » by zzaj » Sat May 18, 2019 6:00 am

Blazers need a starting quality C on the team until Nurkic is 100%, I think that is the #1 priority. As long as Enes is willing to take a discount, he makes the most sense. I'd say that's the 1st priority for the Blazers this offseason.

I'm fine letting Aminu walk. Sign Hood and let Harkless take Aminu's minutes and roll out Lillard/CJ/Hood/Harkless/Kanter...

IMO, the Blazers have two options: 1) Pay tax and be competitive. 2) Make big changes, be uncompetitive, but don't pay tax.

I think it'd be pretty hard for the Blazer front office to justify #2 to the casual fanbase, given they made it to the WCF.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#297 » by DusterBuster » Sat May 18, 2019 6:22 am

zzaj wrote:Blazers need a starting quality C on the team until Nurkic is 100%, I think that is the #1 priority. As long as Enes is willing to take a discount, he makes the most sense. I'd say that's the 1st priority for the Blazers this offseason.

I'm fine letting Aminu walk. Sign Hood and let Harkless take Aminu's minutes and roll out Lillard/CJ/Hood/Harkless/Kanter...

IMO, the Blazers have two options: 1) Pay tax and be competitive. 2) Make big changes, be uncompetitive, but don't pay tax.

I think it'd be pretty hard for the Blazer front office to justify #2 to the casual fanbase, given they made it to the WCF.

I actually really like the idea of Hood and Harkless as the starting forwards over Aminu and Harkless. At least Hood and Harkless complement each other as opposed to duplicate each other like Harkless and Chief do right now.
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#298 » by darmani » Sat May 18, 2019 9:43 am

We are not. The Suns (fans more so than the FO) wan't to create more cap space THIS SUMMER, not in the future. We won't sign anyone better than Warren for $10M. 25th pick in this draft is a waste of a roster spot and money, as is Evan Turner.
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#299 » by Wizenheimer » Sat May 18, 2019 4:21 pm

darmani wrote:

We are not. The Suns (fans more so than the FO) wan't to create more cap space THIS SUMMER, not in the future. We won't sign anyone better than Warren for $10M. 25th pick in this draft is a waste of a roster spot and money, as is Evan Turner.

yeah, I'm fairly convinced that just about every Evan Turner trade scenario dreamed up by Blazer fans is a total pipe dream. The 25th pick in a shallow draft or some future pick just isn't going to be enough IMO

if the Blazers end up desperate to drop salary this summer, then they can try to trade a future 1st and Meyers for a TPE. And if they can't do that because of Nurkic's injury and losing Kanter (very possible), and they are still desperate, they can stretch Turner. Yeah, it would suck to have a 3 year stain of 6.2M on their cap, but it would clear nearly 12.5M in salary off the cap this summer, and that would allow them to us a full-MLE.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#300 » by Fitz303 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:16 pm

darmani wrote:

That's fair. I was just going off of what I saw both on the Suns board and the T&T board. I personally feel like that's way too light for Phoenix.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers