Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Re: Game 65: Portland vs Phoenix 7:00pm SNW 

Post#21 » by monopoman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:52 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
monopoman wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Good to have a "get back on track" game after a couple heartbreaking losses. Simons, man has he ever met a shot he doesn't like? Glad to finally see a couple go down (first made 3 of the season, currently 1/12) but he has no problem getting his shot off and is not shy about pulling the trigger.

His form looks solid I think he has the tools to be a hell of a scorer in this league. He just needs more consistency and a chance to prove himself more like most young guys. I also think it's typical for a player like him to press when on the court, the coach gives him such few chances that when he gets out there he wants to show what he can do. It's not like Damian or Layman for instance needs to prove to the coach that he needs playtime.

Oh yeah, as I keep saying, unlike many NBA players he actually seems to have zero problem getting his shot off at this level of competition. Almost the opposite, he is so quick pulling up and getting into form it basically lets him take whatever shot he wants. With his first step and handles the defenders best bet at this point is hoping he keeps missing his jump shots.

If and when he has a game where everything is falling for him he will be dangerous. The confidence is absolutely there, I agree with time and reps he could get there. I do however want to see a little more point guard action from him, use his speed to move the defense and find opportunities for others. I don't want another CJ situation.

However, speaking of CJ, and I don't know if the numbers bear this out, but since his TD game he has looked better at finding teammates in the flow of offense. To be honest I remember talking mad smack about him the day before that game and have thus been kind of keeping an eye on it since.

Maybe CJ was reading the forums and realizing that everyone was calling him a black hole. I mean it was all over any Blazer forum for a while, I bet a good chunk of the NBA players do read some of the stuff we post.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#22 » by Shem » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:06 am

Phoenix won in Golden State tonight.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
monopoman
RealGM

Post#23 » by monopoman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:31 am

Shem wrote:Phoenix won in Golden State tonight.

Wow, that Phoenix win is looking better and better they now have wins over GSW and the Bucks in the last 4 games.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#24 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:31 am

I really cant stand to watch Simon's play and wouldn't mind him being off the team. Having said that, I felt the same way about Layman last year. Simon's is Zach Randolph 15 years ago. The ball goes to him and is never seen again.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#25 » by HoopsFanAZ » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Bias disclosure — mine — Simons as a better PG/SG version of CJ. CJ’s play at his own pace/midrange game is hard to duplicate, but I see the kid as a serious addition as he matures his game and builds an NBA body. 2 years until a rotation player. Patience.

Kobe pass? Well done.
monopoman
RealGM

Post#26 » by monopoman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:38 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I really cant stand to watch Simon's play and wouldn't mind him being off the team. Having said that, I felt the same way about Layman last year. Simon's is Zach Randolph 15 years ago. The ball goes to him and is never seen again.

Like I said I think its more he just wants to show what he can do, it's tough being a shooter like him and trying to prove that you need more playtime to Stotts. Layman was the exact same way before he got meaningful playtime never met a shot he didn't like, CJ was also that way until he got more playtime it's common for guys that think their best skill is shooting.

These guys usually stop pressing and throwing everything at the rim once they get more consistent play.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers