ImageImage

Do the Blazers have more weapons?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Do the Blazers have more weapons? 

Post#1 » by d-train » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:53 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252977/Alvin-Gentry-Blazers-Have-More-Weapons-Since-Last-Seasons-Playoffs

Yes, Blazers have more and better weapons. But, will the new better weapons make any difference?

I say no. The difference has to be something better from Lillard.

Alvin Gentry was real nice in his comments giving Lillard some cover. What I like is Lillard doesn't take the cover. Lillard says he's not going to let that happen again. He says he is ready to make faster and better decisions.

You can bet Lillard is going to be tested against the same blueprint Gentry laid out last year. OKC has the personnel to do it. Turd Ferguson guarded CJ in the last game and he really bothered CJ. Turd can have a bigger effect on the game if OKC puts Turd on Lillard and Westbrook on CJ. Turd's size and quickness could give Lillard the same trouble Holiday did last year. Will Lillard dribble into the help defense or pass to the open man? Plus, our high pick-n-roll is better this year. And, we don't have to run it against Davis, which will certainly help.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Re: Do the Blazers have more weapons? 

Post#2 » by Epicurus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:27 pm

Defense, not offense, was the principal cause of the sweep last playoffs. blazers, even with the misses of good shots in game one, averaged around 3 pts per 100 less than season average; Pelicans scored considerably more than their season average and the Blazers' defensive seasonal average.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#3 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:06 am

I don't think the playoffs are about players 5-10 in rotations, it's about players 1-3 or 1-4. Curry + Hood + Kanter may be better than Napier + Connaughton + Davis, but I don't think those changes, by themselves, can turn 0-4 into 4-2
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#4 » by Matt800 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:38 am

I think a lot of it is rhythm and health. Last year they were on a losing streak going into the playoffs. Lillard had a hurt ankle and some other guys were injured as well.

New guys like Hood, Curry and Kanter could help, but I think Layman, and Collins also could be big difference makers if they play closer to the peak of what they've shown. Nurkic is the biggest change in terms of what he's shown he can do this year with playmaking and improved finishing.

There's definitely more weapons but POR isn't exactly consistent enough or developed enough to give confidence that they would beat any other west playoff team. I think they could win but health and rhythm will be some good indicators closer to the end of the season.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#5 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:05 am

Yes, the Blazers have more and better weapons, but they still suck.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018

Return to Portland Trail Blazers