Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Good news! CJ Just has a strain! 

Post#1 » by Moonbeam » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Big sigh of relief. Not sure how long he will be out but reports suggest this isn’t a serious injury.

Read on Twitter
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Re: Good news! CJ Just has a strain! 

Post#2 » by Matt800 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Yeah good news. Strain means muscle tear, so the severity there can vary but to be reevaluated in a week implies it's not too bad.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#3 » by monopoman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:53 pm

Hooray!!!

At least this is way better than what some were predicting obviously the time table is still unknown but this is good news. It appears that rest is how you heal these in most cases, so that means no major rehab has to take place.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#4 » by Norm2953 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Great news for St Patrick's Day!
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,167

Post#5 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:59 pm

Whew, great news. Glad to see he will probably be back for the playoffs.

Now, Hood's gotta step it up.
Oneluckbox
Bench Warmer
And1: 499

Post#6 » by Oneluckbox » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:48 pm

Huge news, hopefully he can come back soon and be hitting top gear again for the playoffs. My brother is heading over from Aus for his first Blazers game so hopefully he can be back by the time they play Denver!
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#7 » by Goldbum » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:31 am

Have to admit I’m very very curious how Stotts is going to adjust the rotation. Will it be Curry, or Hood at starter?
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#8 » by DusterBuster » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:35 am

Goldbum wrote:Have to admit I’m very very curious how Stotts is going to adjust the rotation. Will it be Curry, or Hood at starter?

Hood, no question... Assuming Moe is healthy.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#9 » by DusterBuster » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:36 am

Goldbum wrote:Have to admit I’m very very curious how Stotts is going to adjust the rotation. Will it be Curry, or Hood at starter?

Oneluckbox
Bench Warmer
And1: 499

Post#10 » by Oneluckbox » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:41 am

DusterBuster wrote:

Yeah I think Rodney will start getting around 30mpg. He got 25mins against the Spurs after CJ went down, so i'd say he'd hover around the 30min mark. Definitely could fluctuate up/down though depending on how he shoots. Seems a sure bet that Turner gets more run too.

I'd be keen to see Anfernee or Gary Trent get some spot minutes, but that might not be a wise decision if Portland wants to chase after HCA.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#11 » by DusterBuster » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:07 am

Oneluckbox wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Yeah I think Rodney will start getting around 30mpg. He got 25mins against the Spurs after CJ went down, so i'd say he'd hover around the 30min mark. Definitely could fluctuate up/down though depending on how he shoots. Seems a sure bet that Turner gets more run too.

I'd be keen to see Anfernee or Gary Trent get some spot minutes, but that might not be a wise decision if Portland wants to chase after HCA.

I'd love to see what Trent could do, but yeah, not really the best timing - all things considered. I think Rodney will be getting big minutes regardless of how his shot it falling because.... well who else do they really have at SG? So yeah, I think we'll see more Rodney, more Turner, more Layman and a bit more Curry.

As much as I hate the timing, a part of me is slightly curious how a Dame/Hood starting backcourt looks for a few full games in case the Blazers could find a CJ trade this summer and were able to resign Hood at a reasonable price.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#12 » by monopoman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:42 am

I imagine Hood gets all the minutes he can handle almost, and we see some sparse minutes from either Trent or Anfernee.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#13 » by zzaj » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:36 am

Great news!

Dare I say...this actually could help the Blazers in the long run?

Hood hasn't looked very comfortable yet as a Blazer. Giving him a chance to really get in a playing rhythm and a groove with the team sets could make a big difference once CJ comes back.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#14 » by dunlop212 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:13 pm

Advanced stats are not always kind to CJ. When Turner, another player with ordinary efficiency numbers, was out, the team didn't seem to miss him at all. It wouldn't surprise me if the team played solid ball without CJ. Hood and Curry have been starters for other teams in the past.

Both of the rookies look like 30% shooters at this stage of their careers, not rotation players.
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#15 » by bigdavid » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Of the 3 Turner, Hood, Curry, Turner is the best ball handler. He sees the floor better than the other two. Problem is he's not a scorer. Where to make up the missing points?
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#16 » by red_power » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:28 pm

It's a huge relief that Blazers aren't going to start next offseason with a $54 mln of dead weight salary on their books.

Rare moment when you realize that having to put up with $27 mln of Turner's and Leonard's salaries combined isn't the worst thing that could have happened :rock:
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#17 » by zzaj » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:16 pm

It just occurred to me that Hood's best seasons he primarily played the SG spot. When he went to CLE and now with Portland, he's mostly been playing SF.

Hopefully some bigger time back at SG will help to kickstart a bit of his old career.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#18 » by Blazinaway » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:54 pm

monopoman wrote:Hooray!!!

At least this is way better than what some were predicting obviously the time table is still unknown but this is good news. It appears that rest is how you heal these in most cases, so that means no major rehab has to take place.

I have had a popliteus strain when skiing in Canada, would say it was moderate. How long he is out really depends on how bad (what grade) the strain (tear) is. Could be 2-3 weeks or 2-3 months. You can "function" ok with one after a rather short while but playing NBA Bball could take a long while
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#19 » by Matt800 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:47 am

Blazinaway wrote:

I have had a popliteus strain when skiing in Canada, would say it was moderate. How long he is out really depends on how bad (what grade) the strain (tear) is. Could be 2-3 weeks or 2-3 months. You can "function" ok with one after a rather short while but playing NBA Bball could take a long while

Yeah I think it's interesting that people think of it as 'just a strain.' There's a lot of variance like you mentioned. An example is when someone ruptures their achilles tendon, that is also considered a grade 3 strain. And we know that's a long term injury.

I think it's a good sign that the reevaluation is in a week. But it could still be a while before CJ can play. The other concern is if CJ comes back too fast and it turns into a longer term issue. The Blazers have had a few players do that like Mo Harkless last playoffs, Brandon Roy, etc. Plus there were reports CJ already had knee soreness last season so hopefully this doesn't create a chronic condition for him.

I'm hoping for the best but I think we'll need more information before knowing how this affects this season and POR in the future.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#20 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:29 am

Matt800 wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:

Yeah I think it's interesting that people say 'it's just a strain' as if that implies it's not a bad injury. There's a lot of variance like you mentioned. An example is when someone ruptures their achilles tendon, that is also considered a grade 3 strain. And we know that's a long term injury.

I think it's a good sign that the reevaluation is in a week. But it could still be a while before CJ can play. The other concern is if CJ comes back too fast and it turns into a longer term issue. The Blazers have had a few players do that like Mo Harkless last playoffs, Brandon Roy, etc. Plus there were reports CJ already had knee soreness last season so hopefully this doesn't create a chronic condition for him.

I'm hoping for the best but I think we'll need more information before knowing how this affects this season and POR in the future.

if there's a question, I have one regarding the "re-evaluated in a week"...

what exactly does that mean? Will they take another MRI to see if it's healing or still inflamed? Are they re-evaluating simply to determine the course the rehab takes after the inflammation resolves?? If so, could rehab stretch into the playoffs?

Portland has a 4 game homestand over the next 8 days, then they depart on a 4 game road trip. They'll play 4 games in 6 days and that includes a back2back. At this point, it seems unlikely that CJ would play on that road trip. After it, there's 5 games left in the season and the first game is 2 weeks from now. Even in the best case scenario that seems like the most realistic target date for his return. I mean, if he's re-evaluated just before Portland leaves for the road trip, what chance would there be for him to test the knee in workouts?

this was about the worst time for this injury to occur in the regular season. Early and mid-season, teams can adjust to a missing player. But this late, when legs are tired and practice time is practically non-existent, it's likely a lot harder to adjust the offense and rotation

Return to Portland Trail Blazers