Rookie
And1: 317

Re: Good news! CJ Just has a strain! 

Post#21 » by Matt800 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:28 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Spoiler:
Matt800 wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:
I have had a popliteus strain when skiing in Canada, would say it was moderate. How long he is out really depends on how bad (what grade) the strain (tear) is. Could be 2-3 weeks or 2-3 months. You can "function" ok with one after a rather short while but playing NBA Bball could take a long while

Yeah I think it's interesting that people say 'it's just a strain' as if that implies it's not a bad injury. There's a lot of variance like you mentioned. An example is when someone ruptures their achilles tendon, that is also considered a grade 3 strain. And we know that's a long term injury.

I think it's a good sign that the reevaluation is in a week. But it could still be a while before CJ can play. The other concern is if CJ comes back too fast and it turns into a longer term issue. The Blazers have had a few players do that like Mo Harkless last playoffs, Brandon Roy, etc. Plus there were reports CJ already had knee soreness last season so hopefully this doesn't create a chronic condition for him.

I'm hoping for the best but I think we'll need more information before knowing how this affects this season and POR in the future.

if there's a question, I have one regarding the "re-evaluated in a week"...

what exactly does that mean? Will they take another MRI to see if it's healing or still inflamed? Are they re-evaluating simply to determine the course the rehab takes after the inflammation resolves?? If so, could rehab stretch into the playoffs?

Portland has a 4 game homestand over the next 8 days, then they depart on a 4 game road trip. They'll play 4 games in 6 days and that includes a back2back. At this point, it seems unlikely that CJ would play on that road trip. After it, there's 5 games left in the season and the first game is 2 weeks from now. Even in the best case scenario that seems like the most realistic target date for his return. I mean, if he's re-evaluated just before Portland leaves for the road trip, what chance would there be for him to test the knee in workouts?

this was about the worst time for this injury to occur in the regular season. Early and mid-season, teams can adjust to a missing player. But this late, when legs are tired and practice time is practically non-existent, it's likely a lot harder to adjust the offense and rotation

I think that's a good question. I think the most likely circumstance is he has a grade 1 or 2 popliteus strain and will be reevaluated in a week for resuming some degree of activity.

That week timetable could be for an evaluation for moving from resting to starting PT which is hard to say how long it would take from there until he was ready to play. If there's a setback or they discover something they didn't initially see on the MRI that can obviously lengthen the process as well. It could also be where that week timetable is where he's already doing PT and will be reevaluated for playing after that week. I think the former situation is more likely though.

It's all speculative, but from how it looks this may be hard for POR to endure and have a good playoff run. But it could also work out like some others said, if guys like Hood/Curry get more of a rhythm and CJ comes back actually ready to go then that might leave them better than they were before.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#22 » by monopoman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:05 am

This is a detailed video that explains exactly what was damaged on CJ and gives some ballpark estimates on time to heal.

This video is also very short so I highly recommend it 6 minute run-time he doesn't ramble on about the injury.
Matt800
Rookie

Post#23 » by Matt800 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:51 am

Yeah I was wondering the same thing that guy was saying that a popliteus strain could coincide with other structures being injured like miniscus tear, ligament sprain, etc. Kind of a weird situation that there could be various explanations for, but the bottom line is still that we'll know more when that week timetable is up.
Matt800
Rookie

Post#24 » by Matt800 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:32 am

Return to Portland Trail Blazers