ImageImage

OT: Magic Johnson up and quits as Lakers Prez job without warning

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

OT: Magic Johnson up and quits as Lakers Prez job without warning 

Post#1 » by DusterBuster » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:07 am

This is the funniest story of the NBA season.

Read on Twitter

Dude literally didn't even tell his boss (Jeanie Buss). He just straight up called a few media members around and said "I quit".
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM

Re: OT: Magic Johnson up and quits as Lakers Prez job without warning 

Post#2 » by DusterBuster » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 am

Read on Twitter

Story literally breaking minutes ago, so keep up to date on the GB if you want a good lul for the evening.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,819

Post#3 » by Fitz303 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:39 am

This is nuts. He's been going off for over 40 minutes to the press and this is how Jeanie Buss is finding out.. wow
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#4 » by Shem » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:34 am

The dysfunction continues.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#5 » by DusterBuster » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:55 am

Can't speak the validity, but this guy sounds like he's got some inside info on the whole situation and if true, its even worse than it seems lol

https://twitter.com/shawnmatianesq?lang=en
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,819

Post#6 » by Fitz303 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:21 am

DusterBuster wrote:Can't speak the validity, but this guy sounds like he's got some inside info on the whole situation and if true, its even worse than it seems lol

Yikes... hopefully it just keeps getting worse and FAs steer clear
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#7 » by d-train » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:23 am

This is nothing new to Magic Johnson. Years ago Lakers made Magic their head coach somewhere around the mid 90's. Things didn't go well and he quit. Great basketball players don't necessarily make great coaches or executives.

LeBron James in his mid 30's is not in the best situation for him. He should be on a veteran team with years of continuity. He doesn't have a year to waste with a rebuilding team. And, I don't get the impression LeBron is a great example to young players.
d-train
RealGM

Post#8 » by d-train » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:30 am

I appreciate Clyde Drexler as a player. I'm glad he was here for so many great years. Clyde was a bigtime gamer, but I wouldn't want his work ethic held up as an example to your average young player that doesn't possess generational super athleticism. I don't want Clyde here as a coach or an executive.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#9 » by DusterBuster » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:36 am

d-train wrote:I appreciate Clyde Drexler as a player. I'm glad he was here for so many great years. Clyde was a bigtime gamer, but I wouldn't want his work ethic held up as an example to your average young player that doesn't possess generational super athleticism. I don't want Clyde here as a coach or an executive.

Its pretty well documented that the NBA stars of the 80s and 90s weren't exactly know for their work ethic. Freaking Divac was smoking at half-time. Most guys didn't even touch a basketball until they were contractually obligated to.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#10 » by red_power » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:40 am

That story smells fake over a mile. I bet Magic was about getting fired soon so Buss just gave their legend an opportunity to save his face.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#11 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:08 pm

DusterBuster wrote:Can't speak the validity, but this guy sounds like he's got some inside info on the whole situation and if true, its even worse than it seems lol

that is some weird stuff

the guy obviously hates Pelinka, but it sure sounds like a soap opera at the top of the Laker Org. and the Buss family
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#12 » by DusterBuster » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:11 pm

red_power wrote:That story smells fake over a mile. I bet Magic was about getting fired soon so Buss just gave their legend an opportunity to save his face.

I don't buy they would have fired Magic. Honestly, this kinda of move by Magic is totally on brand for him. He has quit every post-NBA job he's had because it was too much work, his coaching gig, his talk show, and now this. The guy just doesn't want to do real jobs when he can make money just being Magic Johnson.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,839

Post#13 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:36 pm

red_power wrote:That story smells fake over a mile. I bet Magic was about getting fired soon so Buss just gave their legend an opportunity to save his face.

Let's see. What's more realistic:

Option A: Guy who is known for quitting and wanting to be friendly and also being spontaneous quits job without telling boss.

Option B: Boss concocts plans to give head's up to said guy and they all decide it's best for him to openly say he hasn't informed his boss he's quitting, while he's quitting on live television in front of dozen reporters, harming boss' reputation and potentially humiliating boss.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,890

Post#14 » by JasonStern » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:44 am

d-train wrote:I appreciate Clyde Drexler as a player. I'm glad he was here for so many great years.

He played one season more here than LaMarcus, and you hate LaMarcus.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#15 » by DusterBuster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:09 am

To make this a bit more Blazers centric, people who want Olshey gone may want to look at this as positive news. Assuming the Lakers clean house and also get rid of Pelinka, Olshey's name will undoubtedly come up (it already has on Lowe's pod) on the initial list of candidates they want to poach from another team to take over the GM or Pres job.

That said, the Lakers will first have to get rid of Pelinka and the early reports today suggest they're gonna keep him and that they may just end up giving him more control over the team instead of doing an exhaustive search for Magic's replacement.
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,839

Post#16 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:29 am

JasonStern wrote:
d-train wrote:I appreciate Clyde Drexler as a player. I'm glad he was here for so many great years.

What annoys me about Clyde isn't that he requested a trade. I understand why he did. It's his general lack of appreciation after the fact.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#17 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:03 pm

DusterBuster wrote:To make this a bit more Blazers centric, people who want Olshey gone may want to look at this as positive news.

be still my heart!

what is amazing about this is the news that Magic was getting paid 10M/year to preside over disaster. I would have trashed the Lakers for 1M a year
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#18 » by DusterBuster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:11 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:To make this a bit more Blazers centric, people who want Olshey gone may want to look at this as positive news.

be still my heart!

what is amazing about this is the news that Magic was getting paid 10M/year to preside over disaster. I would have trashed the Lakers for 1M a year

LOL, 10 mil a year.... insane. Magic literally could have just told Pelinka to do everything, and he just sit back, take photos and go out for the occasional presser. He could have probably just told Jeanie and Rob that's the role he wants and they still would have given him that money. How Magic ever got considered a genius businessman is kinda beyond me. I think his business acumen is 100% because of his fame and personality.
d-train
RealGM

Post#19 » by d-train » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:32 pm

JasonStern wrote:

I don't understand your point. I have no problem with LA. I don't believe LA was the level of player Drexler was, but I do appreciate the years LA played here. I even defended LA against a wave of negative comments here when he left.
d-train
RealGM

Post#20 » by d-train » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:38 pm

I think Magic's job was to add his brand to the Laker brand to attract free agents. So far, you have to admit Lakers free agent results have been very good. Maybe Lakers don't appreciate what Magic offers beyond his brand and Magic doesn't appreciate that.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers