ImageImage

OT: Magic Johnson up and quits as Lakers Prez job without warning

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Re: OT: Magic Johnson up and quits as Lakers Prez job without warning 

Post#21 » by DusterBuster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:27 pm

d-train wrote:I think Magic's job was to add his brand to the Laker brand to attract free agents. So far, you have to admit Lakers free agent results have been very good. Maybe Lakers don't appreciate what Magic offers beyond his brand and Magic doesn't appreciate that.

LOL, wut?

I think you're right that his job was to add his brand, but to say his FA results have been good... have you even been paying attention to the Lakers? Yes, he got LeBron, but James going to LA had very little to do with Magic. LeBron had his heart set on ending his career in LA so he can set up his post-NBA life. You or I in Magic's position as Pres of the Lakers could have gotten LeBron to sign there.

Every other FA signing or attempt to sign has been an unmitigated disaster under Magic. They didn't even get a meeting with George who was a "lock" to sign in LA. Kawahi desperately wants to live and play in LA but apparently has zero interest in playing for the Lakers. The only FA's they signed to play with LeBron were the scraps of the NBA in McGee, Rondo and Lance. How anyone can think the Lakers free agent results under Magic have been anything but a dumpster fire is beyond me.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#22 » by d-train » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:38 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
d-train wrote:I think Magic's job was to add his brand to the Laker brand to attract free agents. So far, you have to admit Lakers free agent results have been very good. Maybe Lakers don't appreciate what Magic offers beyond his brand and Magic doesn't appreciate that.

LOL, wut?

I think you're right that his job was to add his brand, but to say his FA results have been good... have you even been paying attention to the Lakers? Yes, he got LeBron, but James going to LA had very little to do with Magic. LeBron had his heart set on ending his career in LA so he can set up his post-NBA life. You or I in Magic's position as Pres of the Lakers could have gotten LeBron to sign there.

Every other FA signing or attempt to sign has been an unmitigated disaster under Magic. They didn't even get a meeting with George who was a "lock" to sign in LA. Kawahi desperately wants to live and play in LA but apparently has zero interest in playing for the Lakers. The only FA's they signed to play with LeBron were the scraps of the NBA in McGee, Rondo and Lance. How anyone can think the Lakers free agent results under Magic have been anything but a dumpster fire is beyond me.

I give Magic credit for signing LeBron. And, I think the Rondo signing was good as well. Obviously, it didn't workout. But, I don't remember anyone last summer saying the Lakers screwed up. I think LeBron made a mistake. But, LeBron's mistake was Magic's genius. I don't know what Lakers will do this summer. Some free agent is going to sign up to pair with LeBron. It might not be worth everything the Lakers jettisoned to get the space, but they will get someone.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#23 » by DusterBuster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:53 pm

d-train wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

LOL, wut?

I give Magic credit for signing LeBron. And, I think the Rondo signing was good as well. Obviously, it didn't workout. But, I don't remember anyone last summer saying the Lakers screwed up. I think LeBron made a mistake. But, LeBron's mistake was Magic's genius. I don't know what Lakers will do this summer. Some free agent is going to sign up to pair with LeBron. It might not be worth everything the Lakers jettisoned to get the space, but they will get someone.

You must have not been playing close attention then. The Lakers signings post-LeBron were roundly criticized by fans and media as being somewhere between highly questionable to downright incompetent for how clearly poor of fits they were for LeBron.

I don't give the Rondo signing any credit. Rondo is a journeyman at this point in his career, he's useful, but not coveted. That's not an impressive signing in the slightest imo.

I agree, they'll probably get someone this summer, but I'll be stunned if it's a top tier FA. The most realistic bigname FA they can probably get is maybe Boogie, and they'll probably overpay for him since it's still questionable he can get back to where he was pre-injury.

Also, can we not use the word genius in the same sentence as Magic Johnson. It feels like we're really devaluing the term by doing so.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,887

Post#24 » by JasonStern » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:34 pm

DusterBuster wrote:How anyone can think the Lakers free agent results under Magic have been anything but a dumpster fire is beyond me.

the D'Angelo Russell trade and Ball over Fox/Tatum have worked out pretty well for us.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,833

Post#25 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Everyone last summer expressed a great deal of concern and skepticism over the lack of shooters the Lakers signed. It was a routine discussion on the general board, on every talking show, on twitter among hardcore fans and analysis. There was shock that they signed a bunch of journeymen who couldn't shoot because everyone speculated that they'd pack the paint. And they did.

I mean, certainly the Lakers probably would've made the playoffs if LeBron's groin didn't get screwed up. But by no means were any signings praised. In fact, their lack of signing shooters made it so they traded a pretty talented young big man with some potential for.. Mike Muscala at the deadline.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#26 » by d-train » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:54 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
d-train wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
LOL, wut?

You must have not been playing close attention then. The Lakers signings post-LeBron were roundly criticized by fans and media as being somewhere between highly questionable to downright incompetent for how clearly poor of fits they were for LeBron.

I don't give the Rondo signing any credit. Rondo is a journeyman at this point in his career, he's useful, but not coveted. That's not an impressive signing in the slightest imo.

I agree, they'll probably get someone this summer, but I'll be stunned if it's a top tier FA. The most realistic bigname FA they can probably get is maybe Boogie, and they'll probably overpay for him since it's still questionable he can get back to where he was pre-injury.

Also, can we not use the word genius in the same sentence as Magic Johnson. It feels like we're really devaluing the term by doing so.

Don't mistake my willingness to give credit when credit is due as blanket approval. Magic Johnson is a terrible GM, IMO. But, 30 GM's would do anything to get LeBron and Magic got him. 29 other GM's didn't get him. And, Magic got LeBron without having a good cast of other players to support him. My opinion that Magic is a bad GM isn't really based on record because his record is barely 2 years long. That's not long enough for a GM to build team. However, Magic has Lakers on a track to be a good team.

I also believe Lakers would be in the playoffs this year if LeBron and Ingram didn't get injured. So, a GM on the job for 2 years that misses the playoffs because of injuries is not the basis for a bad record. I also don't buy the argument that everything Magic did other than sign LeBron was awful. Mainly, because it's pretty clear that part of the plan was to sign another max free agent this summer. Maintaining that future cap flexibility comes at the cost of reducing current options.

You can take each individual deal and pick it apart. I thought he spent too much to keep Pope and he should have kept Lopez. I also thought Beasley was unlikely to be the best use of the $3.5M spent on him. Of course, this is all mitigated by the limited options created by the plan for max cap room this summer. And, everything is in the context of the Lakers would be in the playoffs if they stayed healthy.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#27 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:51 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
d-train wrote:I appreciate Clyde Drexler as a player. I'm glad he was here for so many great years.

He played one season more here than LaMarcus, and you hate LaMarcus.

What annoys me about Clyde isn't that he requested a trade. I understand why he did. It's his general lack of appreciation after the fact.

What annoyed me, no... pissed me off, about Clyde was when they held the ceremony here in the Moda Center (formerly known as the Rose Garden Arena) for the 50 Greatest Players of All Time and Clyde word a Rockets jacket. I get that you are from Houston, always wanted to play for Houston, won a trophy with the Rockets, and finished your career in Houston, but you spent what... 10 or 11 years here in Portland? Show the respect and wear the Blazers jacket. Hell, Bill Walton wore a Blazers jacket. Thank you Bill Walton!!! Clyde left Portland and never looked back. I love seeing the old guys that stuck around, even after finishing their careers somewhere else. Porter, Kersey, and Duckworth all came back home.

I know this is off topic, but what other guys stuck around?
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#28 » by DusterBuster » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:10 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
He played one season more here than LaMarcus, and you hate LaMarcus.

What annoys me about Clyde isn't that he requested a trade. I understand why he did. It's his general lack of appreciation after the fact.

What annoyed me, no... pissed me off, about Clyde was when they held the ceremony here in the Moda Center (formerly known as the Rose Garden Arena) for the 50 Greatest Players of All Time and Clyde word a Rockets jacket. I get that you are from Houston, always wanted to play for Houston, won a trophy with the Rockets, and finished your career in Houston, but you spent what... 10 or 11 years here in Portland? Show the respect and wear the Blazers jacket. Hell, Bill Walton wore a Blazers jacket. Thank you Bill Walton!!! Clyde left Portland and never looked back. I love seeing the old guys that stuck around, even after finishing their careers somewhere else. Porter, Kersey, and Duckworth all came back home.

Yeah, I always felt this is / was bushleague too. I was too young to remember, was there bad blood between him and the Blazers at the time of his leaving?

All I know is despite playing 12 years in Portalnd vs 4 in Houston, Clyde in his post-playing career has basically become an ambassador for the Rockets and barely ever talks about his time with Portland which has always struck me as odd and petty.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#29 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:15 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:What annoyed me, no... pissed me off, about Clyde was when they held the ceremony here in the Moda Center (formerly known as the Rose Garden Arena) for the 50 Greatest Players of All Time and Clyde word a Rockets jacket. I get that you are from Houston, always wanted to play for Houston, won a trophy with the Rockets, and finished your career in Houston, but you spent what... 10 or 11 years here in Portland? Show the respect and wear the Blazers jacket. Hell, Bill Walton wore a Blazers jacket. Thank you Bill Walton!!! Clyde left Portland and never looked back. I love seeing the old guys that stuck around, even after finishing their careers somewhere else. Porter, Kersey, and Duckworth all came back home.

from that team, Buck Williams spent several years in Portland, IIRC

other BLazers I can remember who liked Oregon enough to live and work here:

Rick Adelman
Maurice Lucas
Bob Gross
Steve Jones (probably doesn't count since Portland was his hometown)
Mychal Thompson
Antonio Harvey
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#30 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:11 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:

Yeah, I always felt this is / was bushleague too. I was too young to remember, was there bad blood between him and the Blazers at the time of his leaving?

All I know is despite playing 12 years in Portalnd vs 4 in Houston, Clyde in his post-playing career has basically become an ambassador for the Rockets and barely ever talks about his time with Portland which has always struck me as odd and petty.

I don't think so. The Blazers did him a favor and traded him to the team he wanted to go to.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018

Return to Portland Trail Blazers