ImageImage

Replacements for our FA

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

skoharry
Junior
And1: 20

Replacements for our FA 

Post#1 » by skoharry » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Let's say Portland let aminu, layman, curry, kanter, and hood walk. Who would you get to replace em? Someone just like them? Someone different?
Well here are my picks. I'm going with 4 options
I would replace aminu with ja.green, j.parker, randle, or portis
I would replace curry with McConnell, rozier, Payton, or Beverly
I would replace Hood with Ross, lamb, rivers, or Bullock
I would replace layman with Ed Davis, faried, vonleh, or ma.morris
To replace kanter I would go with kaminsky, Powell, noel, or dedmon. So if I go with my top choices the team would look like this

PG - Dame/McConnell
SG - CJ/lamb
SF - harkless/Turner
PF - randle/vonleh
C - nurkic/noel
Defense and rebounding wins games
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Replacements for our FA 

Post#2 » by d-train » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:40 pm

You would have to replace all those players with taxpayer MLE and veterans minimum contracts. It would not be a good plan.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#3 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:01 pm

This is silly because PDX would never allow this type of turnover to happen. Look at the chemistry this team is playing with right now.

And Vonleh / Noel would not be playing over Zach and arguably even Myers next season.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#4 » by JasonStern » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:20 pm

nobody knows just how much the Blazers are willing to spend next season, nor how willing they are to pay additional luxury tax and start flirting with paying the repeater tax.

there's a very reasonable chance that they let Aminu walk and look to move Turner and/or Leonard's expiring for a cheaper multi-year contract.

at a minimum, Hood or Kanter is gone, as the Blazers would have to use exceptions to sign either and likely cannot afford both, with Kanter making more sense to retain due to Nurkić's injury. I believe that Curry might be in the same boat.

I imagine the Blazers would retain Layman unless he gets a Crabbe like overpay contract from a rebuilding team. so then you give more minutes to Collins, Simons, Trent, Skal Abrine, etc. and hope whoever they draft can play on day one. or maybe you trade down from 25 to unload some salary/acquire a stopgap player, then pick someone unconventional in the 2nd round like Brian Bowen.

then in typical Neil Olshey form, you use the minimum, 2040 2nd round picks, etc. on some reclamation projects and pray for the best.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,526

Post#5 » by zzaj » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:20 pm

Right now if you look at the production of Kanter/Layman/Hood/Curry:

Rebounds: 15
Assists: 4.3

For roughly 14.8M

There simply isn't going to be a way to replace that kind of production for that cost. Blazers are between a rock and a hard place.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#6 » by JasonStern » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 pm

zzaj wrote:Right now if you look at the production of Kanter/Layman/Hood/Curry:

For roughly 14.8M

There simply isn't going to be a way to replace that kind of production for that cost. Blazers are between a rock and a hard place.

Turner will give you:

Rebounds: 1.5

...for $18.6M
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
zzaj
General Manager

Post#7 » by zzaj » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:46 pm

JasonStern wrote:

For roughly 14.8M

Turner will give you:

Rebounds: 1.5

...for $18.6M

And he'll throw in his Kermit the frog sounding voice for free...
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#8 » by DusterBuster » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:49 pm

For roughly 14.8M

You can find cheap production if you're smart about it. That guy House Jr in Houston right now is ballin' and he's making pennies by NBA standard. I still they they need to keep one, maybe two guys if possible, but I don't think all 4 need to stay. Kanter and Curry are clearly the most important, Layman and Hood are less important.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#9 » by Epicurus » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:06 pm

Outside limits do not exist for multi-billionaires. It is just a matter of what they want and how much they will pay for it, in light of having other wants. If the want is to return the whole team and that want is greater than any competing wants, a multi-billionaire can easily do it.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#10 » by Fitz303 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:13 pm

Epicurus wrote:Outside limits do not exist for multi-billionaires. It is just a matter of what they want and how much they will pay for it, in light of having other wants. If the want is to return the whole team and that want is greater than any competing wants, a multi-billionaire can easily do it.

Not under the constraints of the CBA. The Blazers do not have bird rights for Hood, Kanter, or Curry. They will have either the tax payer's MLE or the standard MLE (if they shed other salary) to re-sign those 3. There is virtually 0% chance that those 3 sign for a shared fraction of the MLE. Billionaire or not, you can only do so much to keep those guys here. Layman will likely be back, and my guess is Hood will sign in that range. Curry and Kanter won't take the pay cuts necessary to stay here
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#11 » by Epicurus » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:25 pm

I don't want to get engaged with all the ins/outs of the CBA. But what leverage does the league have to enforce? Fines, or can they physically remove a player or force a forfeiture of all games, etc. If but fines, then a multi-billionaire truly wanting something can make it happen, no matter the CBA. Rules simply do not apply to multi-billionaires in this world, if they truly want something to happen in the context of other wants. The CBA is simply an excuse for the multi-billionaires to not go all in, but that doesn't mean it actually restricts them from doing so.

Look, I don't believe the scenario I offer will be activated by the Blazers. As you and others note, the Blazers will not return all, using the CBA to justify their prudence. Yet one of my pet peeves in life is the failure of Americans/others to not understand that billionaires don't and don't need to play by the rules. Even well off millionaire fans have over 1,000 times less than billionaires. We can't begin to understand their world and its lack of enforceable restraints.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#12 » by DusterBuster » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Stealing this from r/RipCity...

Wonderful article about Rodney Hood and how he's felt about Portland. I highly recommend reading it, but I'll quote some excerpts.

he lost himself and that joy of the game. So understand when Rodney Hood arrived in Portland, he was something close to damaged goods.

“I struggle with that — with not willing to go out there and be myself,” Hood said. “I worry about stepping on people’s shoes, or offending them. That’s been a knock on me since I was younger: I’m too passive; I care too much about other people’s opinion. That’s one of the biggest battles I face.”

But now, he feels a lot more comfortable and happy

“This here, this is unique,” Hood said. “This is something I haven’t felt since … well, I haven’t felt it. Especially since I’ve been in the NBA. I have doubted myself a lot, but once I came here, I’ve started to feel like myself again.”

Rodney's dad also spoke about how much Rodney is enjoying it.

“All I hear from Rodney is about Lillard, CJ, Aminu … all the guys there are up and rooting for each other during games and they are a true team,” Ricky said. “They have made him feel so welcomed, and that’s a major thing for a parent. Even though he is a professional athlete, he has seen the heart of the Portland organization. These guys celebrate each other’s success. And I’m telling you, it’s something to be wanted.”

Also, there's good news about the future. Maybe he is willing to take a paycut next year? He definitely wants to be here

“I don’t want to be too definitive about it,” Hood said. “But this is a place I want to stay. I feel like it fits my personality, fits my game. And sometimes, I think God puts you in places that realign you"

“I instantly felt like I have found a home,” Hood said. “The fans, the coaches, the front office, the team, the city … it’s like it all meshes together here. And when that happens, it has the makings of something special.”

https://theathletic.com/930520/2019/04/18/happy-together-rodney-hood-has-rediscovered-his-love-for-the-game-with-the-trail-blazers/ (paywall)
Fitz303
General Manager

Post#13 » by Fitz303 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:33 pm

Epicurus wrote:I don't want to get engaged with all the ins/outs of the CBA. But what leverage does the league have to enforce? Fines, or can they physically remove a player or force a forfeiture of all games, etc. If but fines, then a multi-billionaire truly wanting something can make it happen, no matter the CBA. Rules simply do not apply to multi-billionaires in this world, if they truly want something to happen in the context of other wants. The CBA is simply an excuse for the multi-billionaires to not go all in, but that doesn't mean it actually restricts them from doing so.

Look, I don't believe the scenario I offer will be activated by the Blazers. As you and others note, the Blazers will not return all, using the CBA to justify their prudence. Yet one of my pet peeves in life is the failure of Americans/others to not understand that billionaires don't and don't need to play by the rules. Even well off millionaire fans have over 1,000 times less than billionaires. We can't begin to understand their world and its lack of enforceable restraints.

The leverage that the league has to enforce it is the ability the not sign off on a contract. If a contract signed by a player violates the contract agreed upon by all owners (CBA), it's a void contract, and that player doesn't suit up for said team. No owner can just start making his own rules in a league surrounded by other billionaire owners.
Fitz303
General Manager

Post#14 » by Fitz303 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:11 pm

DusterBuster wrote:Stealing this from r/RipCity...

Wonderful article about Rodney Hood and how he's felt about Portland. I highly recommend reading it, but I'll quote some excerpts.

he lost himself and that joy of the game. So understand when Rodney Hood arrived in Portland, he was something close to damaged goods.

“I struggle with that — with not willing to go out there and be myself,” Hood said. “I worry about stepping on people’s shoes, or offending them. That’s been a knock on me since I was younger: I’m too passive; I care too much about other people’s opinion. That’s one of the biggest battles I face.”

“This here, this is unique,” Hood said. “This is something I haven’t felt since … well, I haven’t felt it. Especially since I’ve been in the NBA. I have doubted myself a lot, but once I came here, I’ve started to feel like myself again.”

“All I hear from Rodney is about Lillard, CJ, Aminu … all the guys there are up and rooting for each other during games and they are a true team,” Ricky said. “They have made him feel so welcomed, and that’s a major thing for a parent. Even though he is a professional athlete, he has seen the heart of the Portland organization. These guys celebrate each other’s success. And I’m telling you, it’s something to be wanted.”

Also, there's good news about the future. Maybe he is willing to take a paycut next year? He definitely wants to be here

“I don’t want to be too definitive about it,” Hood said. “But this is a place I want to stay. I feel like it fits my personality, fits my game. And sometimes, I think God puts you in places that realign you"

“I instantly felt like I have found a home,” Hood said. “The fans, the coaches, the front office, the team, the city … it’s like it all meshes together here. And when that happens, it has the makings of something special.”

https://theathletic.com/930520/2019/04/18/happy-together-rodney-hood-has-rediscovered-his-love-for-the-game-with-the-trail-blazers/ (paywall)

Thats awesome. I've always felt that Hood is the most likely of the 3 UFAs to be back. Hopefully with a full year under his belt next year, he'll be even more comfortable in the offense. It'd be nice if he could get back to his Utah days with his 3pt shooting (39% on 6 attempts)
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#15 » by DusterBuster » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:30 pm

Fitz303 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Stealing this from r/RipCity...

Thats awesome. I've always felt that Hood is the most likely of the 3 UFAs to be back. Hopefully with a full year under his belt next year, he'll be even more comfortable in the offense. It'd be nice if he could get back to his Utah days with his 3pt shooting (39% on 6 attempts)

He's definitely not upped his FA value like Kanter and Curry had. If the Blazers have a really strong run in this years playoffs, I'll be interesting is those guys are willing to take a slight pay cut for a year in return for a bigger deal next summer when other guys expire?

Probably won't cause in the NBA you have to get money when its out there. That said, I'm skeptical how much higher Kanters FA value has actually gone. I think people still know who he is, he's not really shown something new with Portland, so I think even with the good play, he's still relatively at the same - probably MLE money - level.

Curry though, I see him getting a big contract with how good of a 3pt shooter he is and how valuable that is for teams.
Fitz303
General Manager

Post#16 » by Fitz303 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:

He's definitely not upped his FA value like Kanter and Curry had. If the Blazers have a really strong run in this years playoffs, I'll be interesting is those guys are willing to take a slight pay cut for a year in return for a bigger deal next summer when other guys expire?

Probably won't cause in the NBA you have to get money when its out there. That said, I'm skeptical how much higher Kanters FA value has actually gone. I think people still know who he is, he's not really shown something new with Portland, so I think even with the good play, he's still relatively at the same - probably MLE money - level.

Curry though, I see him getting a big contract with how good of a 3pt shooter he is and how valuable that is for teams.

Yeah unfortunately, Curry is the one that most of us all want to come back more than anyone right now, and I don't see any way he gets less than the full MLE somewhere. That's going to be a big hole to fill next season. Hopefully Simons can take a jump next year.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#17 » by DusterBuster » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Fitz303 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:

Yeah unfortunately, Curry is the one that most of us all want to come back more than anyone right now, and I don't see any way he gets less than the full MLE somewhere. That's going to be a big hole to fill next season. Hopefully Simons can take a jump next year.

Yeah, assuming Olshey is still here, I think that's going to be his hope that Simons takes over for Curry... even if Simons takes a leap, I just don't know how you replace a 45% 3pt shooter...

It's really a shame Paul isn't still around. I think if he was, he would open up the pocket book to let Olshey do whatever he can to keep Kanter and Curry after this run. Not sure Jodie will do the same, but maybe she would? I think the most what has been reported is that she's supposedly trying to have the team being managed as close to as possible as if Paul was still around.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#18 » by zzaj » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:39 pm

Fitz303 wrote:
Epicurus wrote:I don't want to get engaged with all the ins/outs of the CBA. But what leverage does the league have to enforce? Fines, or can they physically remove a player or force a forfeiture of all games, etc. If but fines, then a multi-billionaire truly wanting something can make it happen, no matter the CBA. Rules simply do not apply to multi-billionaires in this world, if they truly want something to happen in the context of other wants. The CBA is simply an excuse for the multi-billionaires to not go all in, but that doesn't mean it actually restricts them from doing so.

The leverage that the league has to enforce it is the ability the not sign off on a contract. If a contract signed by a player violates the contract agreed upon by all owners (CBA), it's a void contract, and that player doesn't suit up for said team. No owner can just start making his own rules in a league surrounded by other billionaire owners.

Yeah, there are likely 3 signatures on an NBA contract: the player, the owner and Adam Silver. If an owner isn't playing under CBA rules then Adam Silver simply wouldn't sign, which would make the contract...not a contract.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#19 » by zzaj » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:39 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:

Kanter, despite his defensive limitations is a starting Center in the NBA. If the Blazers win a playoff series, with him starting that will only cement the notion. This offseason there are going to be a lot of teams with money and only a few really good FAs. I could see the Charlottes of the NBA giving Kanter a 12-16M/year deal.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#20 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Aminu and Layman stay. Bird Rights. Aminu gets a marginal raise. Layman gets around the MLE-taxpayer of $6 mil per.
Established comparable value that fits and getting better for the price and ability to do so will be much more difficult.

Shed a bigger contract with the pick as has been suggested by several on this site in order to get to the full MLE and not be hard capped? Okay. I absolutely hate paying a 1st round contract to do so -- cheaper, futures market of talent -- but a calculation of Turner + #25 is worth less than MLE Kanter? I buy that. The idea of Collins, Leonard, and Aminu doing small ball until Nurkic returns is pretty rough ... even with signing a vet for the minimum (a very doable thing).

Both Hood and Curry can take normal raises to their current contracts knowing that the Blazers shed serious $$$ in the summer of 2020. With their allowed raises for a year, they can choose to stay. I'm not saying Curry will do that; he can make more on the market. Shooting matters. Hood, with Turner gone (which is a matter of time) has a home. Minutes. A role he can build upon and time to do it. It's that Kanter's minimum contract would require significantly more $$$.

So, I changed my opinion based on Wizenheimer (IIRC) and others making the DP-package-sell-off argument. Both Kanter and Hood stay, but Curry likely goes ... which would be a shame. Step up Mr. Simons.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers