Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Re: Game 3 Rd 1 Portland vs OKC 6:30 pm Friday SNW/ESPN 

Post#161 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:39 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
dunlop212 wrote:OKC has to win 4 out of 5.

it has happened several time over the years

in fact, that's how Portland won their only championship.

In 89-90, the Blazers went up 2-0 over the Spurs at home; the Spurs won the next 2 games (by an average of 17 points) at their place. In the final 3 games there were 3 OT periods, all in Portland, and it took an OT at home in game 7 for the Blazers to advance

If I have my years correct, I was at that Game 7. Kevin Duckworth and Wayne Cooper had both been out (did Duck break his hand or something???). Both teams were out shooting prior to the game to warm up. Then the place erupts as both Duckworth and Cooper come walking out of the tunnel, dressed in their uniforms. Both guys played in the game. Is that the game the Spurs were leading by 7 with like two minutes to go (which was kind of a big lead back then for that late in the game)? If so, I also think that's the game Rod Strickland (playing for the Spurs) threw the ball away, which eventually led the Blazers to the comeback win.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#162 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:54 pm

monopoman wrote:Is it just me or does Westbrook cry to the refs on every call they make against him or for him?

In all fairness, Lillard does the same thing. He just doesn't look as stupid doing it.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#163 » by bigdavid » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:54 pm

Almost every game the loosing team complains about reffing, This is one of those times when it was absolute. The calls were so one sided for OKC it's was an embarrassment. I would hope the NBA commission looks at this and makes some changes for the balance of the series.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#164 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:20 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
CROklahoma wrote:
Spoiler:
All I see from your thread is bunch of whinning about officiating.
This is the exact same whistles you guys had on your home court, get used to it, OKC is gonna have the same advantage on its home court.

The real deal: Why didnt none of you mention that Kanter CAN NOT stay on the court ? Looks like you guys are fine with him being attacked off of p&r's, seems like he'll get even more exposed in G4 in spread pr, especially when Schroder is on court, seemed like he scored on all possesions when Kanter was defending. For us, Westbrook was hitting dumb 3s, but when he regresses to the mean, its all over.
Since Donovan is too dumb to actually use Adams properly, if Stoots actually uses brain and goes full small ball and puts someone like Harkless to spread the floor off those traps on Dame, bingo, Adams wont be able to get as many proper possesions to make the advantage.

Once again, this is all about whose coach will be less dumb in this series, since I can see a patern the way both teams played for the last past seasons, and seeing none of the teams actually improved in any category where they failed to execute

"PISS OFF" - Gordon Ramsey

that a clever way to sneak in an insult...thanks for the pointer!

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Spoiler:
dunlop212 wrote:OKC has to win 4 out of 5.

it has happened several time over the years

in fact, that's how Portland won their only championship.

In 89-90, the Blazers went up 2-0 over the Spurs at home; the Spurs won the next 2 games (by an average of 17 points) at their place. In the final 3 games there were 3 OT periods, all in Portland, and it took an OT at home in game 7 for the Blazers to advance

If I have my years correct, I was at that Game 7. Kevin Duckworth and Wayne Cooper had both been out (did Duck break his hand or something???). Both teams were out shooting prior to the game to warm up. Then the place erupts as both Duckworth and Cooper come walking out of the tunnel, dressed in their uniforms. Both guys played in the game. Is that the game the Spurs were leading by 7 with like two minutes to go (which was kind of a big lead back then for that late in the game)? If so, I also think that's the game Rod Strickland (playing for the Spurs) threw the ball away, which eventually led the Blazers to the comeback win.

yeah, pretty sure your rememberer is operating at peak efficiency

and yeah, the Spurs had a late lead but the Blazers came back to tie and win in OT. Terry Porter was easily the MVP of that series..he was Dame-like

and yeah, Strickland had one of the dumbest turnovers ever at the biggest moment. In the press conference a few years later when he signed with Portland he was actually asked about it

here's the play, Strickland's pass and Kersey's incredible, series winning save:

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#165 » by PDXKnight » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:42 pm

I’m no conspiracy theorist but it was rather odd that okc got a call right when the 8 point spread had a chance of getting beat..
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#166 » by red_power » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Btw Rodney Hood has been shooting 31% from the field and 22% from three so far this series.

I think I have a reason to suspect Olshey was expecting a little bit better impact from Hood when he was throwing these 2 second rounders away in that trade.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#167 » by red_power » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:20 pm

Oden2 wrote:I’m no conspiracy theorist but it was rather odd that okc got a call right when the 8 point spread had a chance of getting beat..

That calls home court officiating. NBA loves to stretch playoffs series and they love to make a bit more money too.

Anyway blazers opponents are treated like away teams by referees on moda center so often that last pages of this topic look sorta funny.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#168 » by Epicurus » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:21 am

Beyond home court advantage, the Thunder's free throw rate (FTM/FGAs, per hundred) last game was 40.8%. That rate is in the top 1% of all games played this season (including playoffs to date). Absolutely ridiculous. By comparison, the Blazers' rate this game was 22.0%, or 39% of all games. Game 1 the Blazers had a free throw rate of 24.4 and in game 2 17.4. 21.7 and 22.2 for the Thunder in the first two games. In brief, 40.8% is a massive outlier, beyond just home court advantage. It is theft.
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#169 » by bigdavid » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:29 pm

It seems almost apparent there was some funny stuff going on in game 3 in favor of OKC. It was close till near the end which allowed OKC to beat the spread and win, If all this is true? what can we as Portland fans do about it?

Rodney and ET have been awful in this series.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#170 » by Matt800 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:55 pm

Epicurus wrote:Beyond home court advantage, the Thunder's free throw rate (FTM/FGAs, per hundred) last game was 40.8%. That rate is in the top 1% of all games played this season (including playoffs to date). Absolutely ridiculous. By comparison, the Blazers' rate this game was 22.0%, or 39% of all games. Game 1 the Blazers had a free throw rate of 24.4 and in game 2 17.4. 21.7 and 22.2 for the Thunder in the first two games. In brief, 40.8% is a massive outlier, beyond just home court advantage. It is theft.

Yeah game 3 was pretty clear. I didn't see the 1st game but the 2nd one looked like the refs were helping OKC strongly until later in the game. Right when POR started getting a few calls their lead blew up to 10+ quickly. It really seemed like the refs were a large reason why POR didn't get out to a big lead earlier in game 2 because they'd call a few things every time POR started to build momentum and a lead.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#171 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:40 pm

FT Rate (FTA/FGA):

Regular Season: OKC 26.6%....Port 25.8%

Game 1: OKC 24.7%....Port 31.4% (Blazer number inflated by intentional fouls at game close)

Game 2: OKC 32.6%....Port 23.3%

Game 1: OKC 50.6%....Port 28.9%

ok....OKC, during the season, was slightly better are getting to the FT line and the Blazers are missing Nurkic so you'd expect a bit of a differential. And 5 of the 6 game numbers fit within what you'd expect from the season norms. But there is one outlier and the gap between the outlier and the norms is more than remarkable.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers