A healthy Meyers Leonard
10%

Total votes: 10

JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Re: Center Position During the Conference Semi-Finals 

Post#21 » by JasonStern » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:20 am

dunlop212 wrote:Wasn't Skal at some point a rotation player for Sac? Is he is so awful that we can't play him when two centers go down?

when I made the poll, I legit forgot that Skalabrine was on the roster. no idea what happened to Skal's career - I remember Sacramento fans being super high on him as a rookie. no offense intended, but we moved Swanigan (obligatory "who we picked over Bell" comment) for Skal to get out of a year of Swanigan's contract, so I just kind of assumed he was a cash saving move that *might* turn into a redemption project by Olshey.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#22 » by red_power » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:53 am

With Meyers Skal and Zach on a board blazers have 18 fouls to contain Jokic throughout 40 minutes every night.

Could be just enough though.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#23 » by GEE » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:22 pm

First of all, Big Props to Kanter for helping us close out the series; matching up with Adams' physicality, while playing with a separated shoulder. Just unbelievable effort on his part. I hope we can get him a handshake deal like some have mentioned where we get him real cheap for next year, with the agreement that we'll take care of him next summer.

As for what to do now, Hopefully Kanter can still contribute some, but if not... Next man up! We now know it will be Jokic, Plumlee and Millsap that Stotts needs to game-plan against. I honestly don't know the answer, but I think our best bet is to try and wear Jokic out. I strongly believe that his conditioning is his biggest weakness!. So it's defense by committee, bringing Skal into the mix, rotate alot, so we can keep legs fresh, and the pace way up. Being unpredictable as possible with the coverages on Jokic. Lots of double teams, with help coming from various other teammates. We could also mix in some zone looks. Be creative! Players also NEED to always be ready to take a charge; These are big game changers IMO.

As for offense... Make Jokic run, and play the same unselfish/uptempo style. They should also still be a bit tired from that SA battle, so come out blazin, and maybe we can snatch Game 1.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 851

Post#24 » by Epicurus » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:10 pm

I don't think one focuses on Jokic's weakness, but his strength, passing. Yet that is not simple, as he employs back-to-the basket passing and high post passing. Each will require a different strategy. With the low post passing, it seems to come from his excellent recognition of double teams coming his way. Thus we should employ more hard feints of double teams, along with switching the coverage on the man whose Blazers makes the feint. In other words, play to Jokic's tendency to find the open man by getting him to employ it as usual, but covering the "open" man with the nearest non-feinting defender, sending the feinter to that man's man.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers