Game 4 WCF Portland vs GS 6:oo Monday ESPN

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,826

Re: Game 4 WCF Portland vs GS 6:oo Monday ESPN 

Post#181 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue May 21, 2019 3:50 am

Oden2 wrote:He makes one and we give it to him 10 more times. It feels like the last few game winning attempts in the playoffs we’ve lost 2-3 games that way...

Who else would you have liked to take the shot?
Oneluckbox
Bench Warmer
And1: 499

Post#182 » by Oneluckbox » Tue May 21, 2019 3:50 am

All good. Great season. 53 wins, WCF berth (after they lose their 2nd best player) and competed with the best team in the world. The sweep is a bit disappointing but there's things to build on.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,872

Post#183 » by JasonStern » Tue May 21, 2019 3:50 am

General board is going to be fun for the next few months.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#184 » by Epicurus » Tue May 21, 2019 3:50 am

Oden2 wrote:Lillard fade away how predictable. I hate hate hate that call.
The first option clearly was McCollum. The window was not big enough in Turner's judgment. Not a bad second option. It would have been interesting if Lillard did a shot fake since Thompson would have plowed into him. But the refs surely wouldn't have noticed, would they?
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#185 » by PDXKnight » Tue May 21, 2019 3:51 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:
Oden2 wrote:He makes one and we give it to him 10 more times. It feels like the last few game winning attempts in the playoffs we’ve lost 2-3 games that way...

This game? Leonard would be better than Lillard in a triple team. Lillard is the franchise player but it’s too predictable to go to him every time
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#186 » by Blazinaway » Tue May 21, 2019 3:52 am

Its not who takes it but trying to get a decent percantage shot, that shot was incredibly low percentage, Meyers/CJ/Hood all can shoot
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#187 » by Matt800 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:52 am

hopefully a lot of these guys are back next year, would be fun to see them have another shot at it + Nurkic.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,155

Post#188 » by Revived » Tue May 21, 2019 3:52 am

Again, why is Lillard is taking these? He hit the one against OKC, great but these are the Warriors! Their literally game planning for him to take it.

Lillard on that second last play had Seth wide open too instead of trying to force up the layup.

Overall with the Nurkic injury, this season was great for Portland but they really didn’t anywhere close to their best against Golden State and while the Warriors get some of the credit for it, a lot of it is on Portland.
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,826

Post#189 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue May 21, 2019 3:53 am

Oden2 wrote:

This game? Leonard would be better than Lillard in a triple team. Lillard is the franchise player but it’s too predictable to go to him every time

Leonard who made I believe.. zero outside shots the entire second half?

I might've missed one.

Leonard who has a.. incredibly slow shot motion and was being guarded a lot more fiercely?

Leonard had a great game. But they changed how they guarded him in the second, they put attention on him, and if you're asking a guy who is notorious for how long he takes to get a shot off to take a high pressure shot with limited time left, I don't think that's going to go remotely well.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#190 » by PDXKnight » Tue May 21, 2019 3:53 am

Great season but It’s just such a bad end to get here and go out like this. After that Oregonian article about the trash brothers I really wanted a statement today. Oh well, great run all things considered
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#191 » by Blazinaway » Tue May 21, 2019 3:53 am

Revived wrote:Again, why is Lillard is taking these? He hit the one against OKC, great but these are the Warriors! Their literally game planning for him to take it.

Lillard on that second last play had Seth wide open too instead of trying to force up the layup.

Overall with the Nurkic injury, this season was great for Portland but they really didn’t anywhere close to their best against Golden State and while the Warriors get some of the credit for it, a lot of it is on Portland.

agree, good summary
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#192 » by Epicurus » Tue May 21, 2019 3:53 am

Well, that assumes baskets being made by the non-Lillard alternatives.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#193 » by PDXKnight » Tue May 21, 2019 3:55 am

Oden2 wrote:

Leonard who made I believe.. zero outside shots the entire second half?

I might've missed one.

Leonard who has a.. incredibly slow shot motion and was being guarded a lot more fiercely?

Leonard had a great game. But they changed how they guarded him in the second, they put attention on him, and if you're asking a guy who is notorious for how long he takes to get a shot off to take a high pressure shot with limited time left, I don't think that's going to go remotely well.

Not necessarily Meyers, I just think it should’ve been set up for whoever didn’t have a bunch of guys focused on him. Cj wasn’t open but Hood, aminu, Meyers, Seth all could have a better shot than that improbable shot. I don’t care if it won the okc series it’s not a good odds shot and if you can find a more open man generally that’s the more strategic route
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#194 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue May 21, 2019 3:55 am

Revived wrote:Again, why is Lillard is taking these? He hit the one against OKC, great but these are the Warriors! Their literally game planning for him to take it.

Leonard, as well.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,155

Post#195 » by Revived » Tue May 21, 2019 3:56 am

Blazinaway wrote:

Its not who takes it but trying to get a decent percantage shot, that shot was incredibly low percentage, Meyers/CJ/Hood all can shoot

Yeah I can understand forcefeeding Lillard if he’s scorching hot or something but he wasn’t. His jumper’s been off all series long and he’s injured on top of that.

Lillard should’ve been the decoy and someone else either McCollum, Seth, Hood or Leonard takes that last one imo.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#196 » by PDXKnight » Tue May 21, 2019 3:56 am

Epicurus wrote:
Well, that assumes baskets being made by the non-Lillard alternatives.

I trust Lillard, I know he can play. But he’s hurt and his shots haven’t been falling as well. Kudos to him for playing but considering the situation I strongly consider drawing it up for someone else
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#197 » by Roy The Natural » Tue May 21, 2019 3:56 am

Stotts should go... it's time. He's had a long time here. Making the WCF was nice... but he's just not the guy. The team hasn't played smart basketball all series long... the offense was plain putrid at the end of the game there, and he's got to be accountable for letting the offense devolve to that, while also playing Turner for like 12 minutes of straight garbage from Turner.

I don't think Portland should "blow it up".... but I really think it's time to move on from CJ and Stotts. The team needs a revamp. The guards just don't work great together. Neither one of them works very well off ball, and both of them can get tunnel vision that completely kills any idea of team ball, but CJs tunnel vision is literally at legendary levels.

I'm not trying to knee jerk here... I understand the Nurkic injury... I understand the relative success of getting to the WCF.... but I'm just getting tired and bored of our guards just freezing the rest of the team out on offense and consistently taking turns chucking outrageously difficult shots. Lillard probably had a worse playoffs than CJ overall considering expectations.... but CJ just doesn't feel like a winning player. The guy takes A LOT of BAD shots at the end of games... and spends a lot of time not passing to open teammates.

I think at this point, my main issue with Stotts is that he just allows players to get away with far too much. I'm tired of endless leashes for guys like Aminu... while guys like Layman just ride the pine despite probably being a better long-term solution. I don't know, we could do worse than CJ and Stotts... but we could probably do better. And I'm ready to give something different a shot, like Toronto.

I think both should go... but if we want to move one or the other, I'd be able to put up with that for a year to see what happens.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#198 » by Epicurus » Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 am

I guess I didn't see McCollum breaking to the basket on the last shot. He was the FIRST option. Turner went to the second option, Lillard in the corner. I am at a loss to understand what was wrong with that.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#199 » by Roy The Natural » Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 am

Revived wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:

Yeah I can understand forcefeeding Lillard if he’s scorching hot or something but he wasn’t. His jumper’s been off all series long and he’s injured on top of that.

Lillard should’ve been the decoy and someone else either McCollum, Seth, Hood or Leonard takes that last one imo.

McCollum was worse than Lillard to end this game... he was taking some of the worst shots I've ever seen a player take.... and they weren't even close to going in... and he had open teammates nearby.... Blazers should have just tried some team ball in overtime and they probably win. Same story though.... your turn, my turn is Blazers playoff basketball.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#200 » by PDXKnight » Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 am

Roy The Natural wrote:Stotts should go... it's time. He's had a long time here. Making the WCF was nice... but he's just not the guy. The team hasn't played smart basketball all series long... the offense was plain putrid at the end of the game there, and he's got to be accountable for letting the offense devolve to that, while also playing Turner for like 12 minutes of straight garbage from Turner.

I don't think Portland should "blow it up".... but I really think it's time to move on from CJ and Stotts. The team needs a revamp. The guards just don't work great together. Neither one of them works very well off ball, and both of them can get tunnel vision that completely kills any idea of team ball, but CJs tunnel vision is literally at legendary levels.

I'm not trying to knee jerk here... I understand the Nurkic injury... I understand the relative success of getting to the WCF.... but I'm just getting tired and bored of our guards just freezing the rest of the team out on offense and consistently taking turns chucking outrageously difficult shots. Lillard probably had a worse playoffs than CJ overall considering expectations.... but CJ just doesn't feel like a winning player. The guy takes A LOT of BAD shots at the end of games... and spends a lot of time not passing to open teammates.

I think at this point, my main issue with Stotts is that he just allows players to get away with far too much. I'm tired of endless leashes for guys like Aminu... while guys like Layman just ride the pine despite probably being a better long-term solution. I don't know, we could do worse than CJ and Stotts... but we could probably do better. And I'm ready to give something different a shot, like Toronto.

Lol Stotts shouldn’t go, but he did lose a bit of my optimism. I still keep him personally especially since we were DEPLETED.

When are we gonna make the right move and resign him?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers